Author Topic: The big breakfast...  (Read 8208 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
The big breakfast...
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »
anyone miss it, with the like of news24 and GMTV shite? Maybe if it was back on TV, I'd hate it because of the nature of it, but I remember loving it through senior and college years and then it ended :(
Did get shit with the non presenters towards the end though.

The inane games were the best like 'Get yer nobbly nuts out'

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The big breakfast...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:12:22 pm »
I used to tape it.
I thought it was fucking brilliant.

Egg on yer face
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »
woman in a tabbard!

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
Wonga was brilliant.

Vaughny and Denise Van Outen were a beast
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:25:15 pm »
it was all about vaughan and van outen.

steps of whoa.
santa's stocking
more tea vicar
trevor bayliss in the shed

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:44 pm »
Wasn't it 'Steps of Woe'? I think that was the whole point of the joke?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:15:58 pm »
Wasn't it 'Steps of Woe'? I think that was the whole point of the joke?
it was, wasn't really concentrating!

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 1, 2008, 11:01:56 am »
Zig and Zag!
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #8 on: March 1, 2008, 11:24:24 am »
was brilliant

loved steps of woe and vital statistics

Chris evans is a legend, love his radio show and Johnny Vaughan at the time was brilliant, despite being a bit of a cock now

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:05 pm »
Every morning I turn on the TV whilst getting ready for work it's the same old shit!

Two channels featuring "news" related banal, life-draining stories that make you want to slit your wrists. "Some government body has released a report saying that if you don't eat enough cabbage your left knee's likely to implode and form the universe's smallest black hole which in turn will suck the whole of the country into a space the size of a pinhead, which could have knock-on adverse affects for the UK economy" Scare-mongering, slot filling, fear-inducing crap of the highest order. I know the world's a big place and it feels like there should always be something’s newsworthy to report on, but some days that just isn't the case but then report some dried up shit of a story like it's some earth-shattering event!

Another channel showing re-runs of some of the worst US sit-coms the world has ever witnessed. Makes me want to physically attack the TV screen!

And then Kids TV, no probs with this, just a touch too old for it now!

(I'm sure some will say there are other channels now you old fart, we don't live in a 4 channel world anymore, and whilst true, those without Sky are limited to this sort of programming in the morning regardless which station you choose)

So with the rant over, what's the solution? We need a light entertain show in the morning to cheer us all up and stop making us all so fucking depressed like the "news" programmes try their level best to do!

Now if only there was show like this?

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »
I was pretty young when it was on but I have some fond memories of it.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »
I was pretty young when it was on but I have some fond memories of it.

It was on while I was in high school right though to almost the end of uni and I have some really great memories of it. Loads of people said it went down hill, and whilst I can't disagree with that, it was still fab to have something fun and happy on of a morn that made you leave the house smiling :D

....for me, evans is now pretty much alan partridge but for about 6 years in the 90s everything he touched turned to absolute gold.

Yep, if I remember rightly, wasn't it that Don't Forget Your Toothbrush show that marked the start of his descent?

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »
Eggs on Legs tour in the summer holidays. That was boss. never made it down when it was on the pier head though.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:20 pm »
Ben the Boffin!

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 03:59:51 pm »
I can remember they had a game called housey housey where someone won a full size replica of the Big Breakfast house.. I wonder how it looks now?

Enjoyed watching it when I was a kid but more for things like Pink Panther and the Banana Splits that they used to show. The bigger breakfast in the school holidays was good.. Think they used to show the secret world of alex mack which was a beast.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »
Yep. It's just one of the many things that I miss and loved about the 90's that made that decade so brilliant. It was brilliant and genuinely tried to be entertaining, unlike the majority of the shite put on TV these days which seem to be cookie cutter bollox.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »
Cheggars was boss too. Down ya doorstep!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:03 pm »
quite the opposite if anything. that format sold around the world and netted him, roughly, a complete fuckload of money. basically reading his own hype brought about the end...but his sacking by radio one is probably a good spot where things began to unwravel. though this also ultimately led to him buying virgin radio and making another fuckload of money, and nailing billie piper for a few years so it was hardly all bad.

i think he just came to 'the fore' at exactly the right time for him/his style. and when everything moved on he was left behind. cross reference here the absolutely diabolical 'ofi sunday' tv show in 2005, in which all the guests were his mates, or the shit awful famous and fearless on channel 4. it's not the 90s anymore, no matter how much evans wishes it was.  his radio 2 show's half decent, but glance at his twitter a few times a week and it's genuinely hard to tell if he's just quoting from alan partridge's  autobiography.

Must have just been a personal thing with me then....just remember not liking DFYT and thought that was a shared consensus....must remember to remember that my opinion does not mould the world lol  ;D

Yeah his breakfast show ain't half bad. Certainly better than the guffawing monkeys on BBCR1

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:49 pm »
And who remembers Jasmine Lowson the news reader. Tidy boiler!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »
Must have just been a personal thing with me then....just remember not liking DFYT and thought that was a shared consensus....must remember to remember that my opinion does not mould the world lol  ;D

Yeah his breakfast show ain't half bad. Certainly better than the guffawing monkeys on BBCR1

OFI Sunday was the start of his slide. I remember watching the first episode of that, and it was more or less him just trying to do a biography of himself by inviting people he knew personally on to his show. His ex missus was his first guest. I mean for fuck sake!

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »
TV for Spice Girls fans & readers of Loaded and people who thought the Word was brilliant.

It was mostly shite, filled with media dickheads off their nuts on coke at 7am, patting themselves on the back telling themselves how great they and everyone they knew was.

It was doubly shite after Mark Lamarr left, which I believe he did because he couldnt stand being around those c*nts anymore.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 04:23:25 pm »
TV for Spice Girls fans & readers of Loaded and people who thought the Word was brilliant.

It was mostly shite, filled with media dickheads off their nuts on coke at 7am, patting themselves on the back telling themselves how great they and everyone they knew was.

It was doubly shite after Mark Lamarr left, which I believe he did because he couldnt stand being around those c*nts anymore.

Not a fan then mate?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »
OFI Sunday was the start of his slide. I remember watching the first episode of that, and it was more or less him just trying to do a biography of himself by inviting people he knew personally on to his show. His ex missus was his first guest. I mean for fuck sake!

Critical reaction was extremely poor. Many considered it self-indulgent and esoteric with Evans creating features that were clearly designed more for the amusement of the host and guest and/or studio audience than the viewers, notably when James Nesbitt guested, Evans brought on a pub band that the pair had seen playing on a night out. While the pair clearly revelled in the situation, the audience was obviously not privy to the joke. Criticism was also levelled at the way Evans consistently played on events from his personal life. Most of the guests were also friends of Evans, with the first being his ex-wife Billie Piper which further supported claims over Evans's self indulgence. Critics also slated Evans for asking live on the second show for celebrity-guests to call into the show while holding up a sign saying "Please", admitting they don't have anybody booked which was seen as an act of "desperation".

Aye sounds like a complete turd of a show....glad I never had the displeasure of viewing it  ;)

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »

I agree that the time for the Big Breakfast has come and gone, whether you were a fan or not, I was simply asking could we not have something for adults in the morning that does not make you want to slit your wrists (due to the impending apocolypse you've just heard about on the morning "news" programmes) but that cheered you up instead? Although it was daft as fuck The Big Breakfast used to do this for me almost every morning!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:24 pm »
The idea was mugged from Irish show The Den and Channel 4 took the two main presenters as well!

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:35 pm »
Loved it:-)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »
Speaking of Chris Evans, wasn't TFI Friday boss?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 01:54:24 am »
The idea was mugged from Irish show The Den and Channel 4 took the two main presenters as well!
I loved The Den back in those days. Dustin had me in stitches.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
I loved The Den back in those days. Dustin had me in stitches.
Asking president Mary Robinson did she have smelly socks ;D

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 01:49:26 am »
Ah those were the days, good shout.

Remember when this beauty presented it ?

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 01:51:24 am »
Yanks for the memories
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 01:59:29 am »
Coming back for the duration of the Olympics apparently.

Serious ? Decent source mate ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »
My missus works in entertainment TV and used to work on BB in the 90's so I'll see if she can find something out.

And just like that my prayers were answered! Good work LFsea, I salute you!  :wave

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2012, 09:59:01 am »
My ex was on The Big Breakfast doing "The Big Decision". Just realised his hair back then was hilarious! ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r-Hz_Q-iqMw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r-Hz_Q-iqMw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2012, 04:19:57 pm »
Ah those were the days, good shout.

Remember when this beauty presented it ?

c*nt of a woman

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »
Digital Spy, so make of that what you will. There's one vague quote which keeps it firmly in the 'powder piece' category. I only read that site when I've exhausted all other avenues of entertainment (and fancy a perv at something or other).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a362671/the-big-breakfast-to-return-for-london-2012-olympics.html

The Big Breakfast will return to TV in time for the Olympics, it has been reported.

The morning show will air on Channel 4 or Channel 5 and producers have ­secured permission to use the old Big Breakfast house close to the Olympics site in East London, according to the Sunday Mirror.

"The aim is to be as good as the original - full of fun and frolics," a source told the paper.

The revived show will apparently include popular features from the past such as Vital Statistics, More Tea, Vicar and The Pun Down.

© WENN © BBC

The Big Breakfast could become a permanent fixture on TV if it is a ratings success, as bosses hope to lure viewers away from ITV's struggling Daybreak.

Amanda Byram and other former presenters have been tipped to front the show, although Chris Evans and Denise van Outen are unlikely to make a comeback.

"There's a big gap in the market," Byram said.

The Big Breakfast last aired in 2002 after almost a decade on our screens. It was replaced by short-lived morning show RI:SE.

------------------------------

My missus works in entertainment TV and used to work on BB in the 90's so I'll see if she can find something out.

Would love that. Cheers.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 1, 2012, 10:38:33 am »
Coming back for the duration of the Olympics apparently.

What happened? This has ruined my summer!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #37 on: August 1, 2012, 10:56:50 am »
Didnt really ever watch it, but did run into their traveling helicopter early one morning.

Denise Van Outen, in leather cat suit.

There you go chaps, should make you envious...

To be honest I had no idea who she was.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 1, 2012, 11:38:55 am »
Haha, sorry mate. Totally forgot about this. I did ask my missus, in fact and she'd heard absolutely nothing about it.

They probably looked at it as too much of a risk for 17 days. Might have been tricky to break even, especially with reluctant advertisers and it would have depended who they could have got in as guests. If all the decent crop had been signed up by the beeb, then it would have been a pale imitation.

BOO!!!  ;D

Would have been fantastic! Still hope they bring it back at some point soon!