Author Topic: Old guy wins a million from 50p  (Read 2086 times)

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Old guy wins a million from 50p
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:31:35 pm »
A mystery gambler has won a £1 million payout at a betting shop - from an initial stake of just 50p.

The man, who placed the winning bet on Friday in Thirsk, north Yorkshire, had no idea he had won until he went to make more bets on Saturday.

He correctly predicted the winners of eight horse races in an accumulator bet, beating total odds of 2,000,000 to 1.

His lucky streak began with Isn't That Lucky in the 2.55 race at Sandown, which came in at 8-1, and ended with A Dream Come True, which won the 9.20 evening race at Wolverhampton at 5-2.

After staking five small bets at a different shop on Saturday morning, the man asked staff to check his betting slip from Friday.

Graham Sharpe, from William Hill, said: "When they told him he had £1 million to come but would have to collect it from the Thirsk shop, he went visibly pale before saying that he would have to go and tell his wife."

The lucky punter has not been named, but he is thought to be in his late 50s or early 60s, and regularly gambles small sums at the Thirsk branch of William Hill.

"A few days ago he said to the staff, 'one of these days, one of these bets will come up and you won't have enough money in the shop to pay out'," Mr Sharpe said.

The complete winning streak was - Isn't It Lucky at 8-1 in the 2.55 at Sandown; Mutamarres at 7-2 in the 3.05 at Nad al Sheba, Dubai; Mutasallil at 11-2 in the 3.40 at Nad al Sheba; Racer Forever at 4-1 in the 4.15 at Nad al Sheba; Ede's at 10-1 in the 4.50 at Warwick; Rio L'Oren at 15-2 in the 7.50 at Wolverhampton; Guadaloup at 11-2 in the 8.20 at Wolverhampton and A Dream Come True at 5-2 in the 9.20 at Wolverhampton.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old guy wins a million from 50p
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:35:20 pm »
Fucking hell, nice one fella.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:45:52 pm »
"A few days ago he said to the staff, 'one of these days, one of these bets will come up and you won't have enough money in the shop to pay out'," Mr Sharpe said.

That's bookie speak for "one of our staff members is now under investigation for collusion"

He actually won 1.4 million but Hill's maximum payout is 1 million.

He could have put 40p on instead of 50p, saved himself 10p and still won the same amount.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
He could have put 40p on instead of 50p, saved himself 10p and still won the same amount.

I bet he's fucking gutted now.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:49:55 pm »

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:55:23 pm »
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:20:13 pm »

That was the inference.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:45 am »

well the max payout limit did cost him  400k so yeah he might be ;D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:15:36 am »
Why is the maximum payout £1m?

He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline GerrardKopLegend

• Kopite
  • Ste Gerrard Gerrard
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 01:54:42 pm »

Fucking love that confidence. Love hearing stories like this!
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." --  Sir Bob Paisley

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »
Funny thing is, he should have only won £100000, as that's William Hill's maximum payout on overseas Racing.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:02:50 pm »
Bit harsh with the 'Old guy' tag when hes only in his 50s or early 60s!

Amazing win from 50p.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.