Author Topic: The Smiths  (Read 25359 times)

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Smiths
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2009, 09:29:00 am »
Greatest Manchester band of all time.
The Stone Roses? I'm not fussed, as I love them both, the definitive soundtrack to different phases of my life.

Far, far too many good tunes to single out a favourite. I've been driving my wife mad by humming A Rush and a Push... incessantly over the last week.

An honourable mention to Sheila Take a Bow the last Smiths single I ever bought

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2009, 12:08:46 pm »
The Stone Roses?

No. Not even close to The Smiths in terms of originality, influence and brilliance. Don't get me wrong, that was a brilliant album, but one good album isn't enough when comparing with Morrisey and Marr's bright star.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »
The Stone Roses are a football thug's haven. Not taking anything away from their musical prowess, but The Smiths have something more about them. For more of a thinking man, imo. Can't split The Queen is Dead and Meat is Murder.

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and There is a Light that Never goes Out are my favourite Smiths tunes.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Facebook
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2009, 04:33:04 am »
Is it just me or does anyone else here think The Smths back catalogue is due for an overhaul? ie: triple disc sets with a bonus audio disc of b-sides, live and rare tracks and a DVD with TV and live footage????

Kinda like the Radiohead sets that have all just been issued and are supurb!
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2009, 10:39:20 am »
Is it just me or does anyone else here think The Smths back catalogue is due for an overhaul? ie: triple disc sets with a bonus audio disc of b-sides, live and rare tracks and a DVD with TV and live footage? ??? ?  

Double pack with a photograph, extra track and a tacky badge?
No, ta.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55:06 am »
No, ta.

Back of the net  ;D

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2009, 10:58:34 am »
[deep bow]It did make me play Strangeways this morning.[/deep bow]

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 11:26:50 am »
I know The Queen is Dead is considered their best, but am I alone in thinking Meat is Murder is their greatest work? Especially if you include How Soon Is Now like on their US releases.

Nobody makes an entrance like Morrissey, he knows exactly how to snatch your attention right from the first sentence. These opening lines are just genius:

"I'd like to drop my trousers to the world/ I am a man of means/ Of slender means"

"Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools"

"Oh mother I can feel the soil falling over my head."

"Heifer whines could be human cries"

"Sweetness/Sweetness I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head"

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:30:16 am by Jin »

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2009, 10:59:36 am »
Just seen this. (Thanks to Holymoly! :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9hGAlt89o
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2009, 05:25:58 pm »
Just seen this. (Thanks to Holymoly! :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9hGAlt89o

Brilliant. Some of them are excruciating.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2009, 01:16:10 pm »
Fantastic band, Morrisey is one of the best lyricists this country has ever produced.

Favorite album, Hatfull of hollow.

favorite singles, What difference does it make, How soon is now, Boy with a thorn in his side.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:45 pm »
I prefer Joy Division.   

But the Smiths are a great band, countless excellent singles. Like Morrissey's early solo-albums, but his last three-four, since he started working with Blink-182's producer (or some shit band like that), are awful. Anyway, some of my favourite songs in no particular order:

How Soon Is Now, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, Never Had No One Ever, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, The Queen Is Dead, of course There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, and perhaps the best of them all - This Night Has Opened My Eyes.  10-15 others could've made my list though.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:18 pm »
No, ta.

How could you not want The Smiths LPs re-issued with bonus material of rare/live.demo material?  Any Smiths fan worth half a crust would love that! ;)

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »
Fantastic band, Morrisey is one of the best lyricists this country has ever produced.

Favorite album, Hatfull of hollow.

favorite singles, What difference does it make, How soon is now, Boy with a thorn in his side.
Boy with a thorn is my favourite Smiths single aswell i think, amazing tune
psn = Lents123

Offline guernseygareth

• Main Stander
  • Peace in The Middle East
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 10:16:00 am »
Apologies for bumping a thread but new bootleg of demos & alternates has sent the cardie wearing 30/40something hordes into rapture.

There are links to lossless & 320 mp3 - hopefully somebody will enjoy

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=112376

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 10:30:05 am »
Cheers for that info gg

No. Not even close to The Smiths in terms of originality, influence and brilliance. Don't get me wrong, that was a brilliant album, but one good album isn't enough when comparing with Morrisey and Marr's bright star.
Second Coming has its moments, but I agree.

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »
Apologies for bumping a thread but new bootleg of demos & alternates has sent the cardie wearing 30/40something hordes into rapture.

Much appreciated !  great stuff
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2010, 01:07:52 am »
Just got called moribd for listening to The Smiths on Crimbo day but I don't give a shit, officially my favourite ever band, as of noqw.
psn = Lents123

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »

Blissed out listening to this today - an unreleased Johnny Marr instrumental! 

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 5, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »
Live right now on Sky Arts 1.

Offline You'll Never Walk Alone

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys...
« Reply #100 on: February 5, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »
They are one of the only bands that I could listen to with no instruments, I often find myself subconsciously ignoring Marr's beautiful guitar work and just listening to Mozza's poetry. Top band.
Quote from: Youll Never Walk Alone on September  2, 2007, 12:38:14 PM
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #101 on: February 6, 2011, 07:27:46 am »
Worst band I've ever heard. Tiresome lyrics, badly sung. If you get rid of Morrisey then you might have the basis for a half decent band. It's all so very clever and pleased with itself. Can't stand them.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #102 on: February 6, 2011, 07:33:47 am »

New Order, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, James, 10cc, Bluesbreakers, Oasis, Doves, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies all much better than The Smiths.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 6, 2011, 08:01:04 am »
Worst band I've ever heard. Tiresome lyrics, badly sung. If you get rid of Morrisey then you might have the basis for a half decent band. It's all so very clever and pleased with itself. Can't stand them.
Without doubt the biggest pile of shite you've ever posted.
psn = Lents123

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 6, 2011, 08:01:29 am »
New Order, Joy Division, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, James, 10cc, Bluesbreakers, Oasis, Doves, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies all much better than The Smiths.
Oh, and not 1 of the bands you've mentioned are better than The Smiths.
psn = Lents123

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #105 on: February 6, 2011, 08:22:44 am »

New Order aren't better than the Smiths? Joy Division either?

Oooo.... K........

What do you think makes the Smiths good? If you used to be a student don't bother answering because you already have.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #106 on: February 6, 2011, 08:23:25 am »
Without doubt the biggest pile of shite you've ever posted.

Morrisey defines the word pretentious. And his 'singing' is like listening to a badger being disembowelled by a ferret.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 6, 2011, 10:53:04 am »
Morrisey defines the word pretentious. And his 'singing' is like listening to a badger being disembowelled by a ferret.

You have your opinion , some actually like them , i think they are brilliant.

If only we had more bands like The Smiths around today , the music scene would'nt be as shite.

Offline Hypias_noggin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: February 6, 2011, 11:06:14 am »

Stone Roses are a better band than the smiths. The rest are not ,although some of them are very good. And im not a student, or depressed, or a shoegazer or any of that shite, and never have been. This charming man never fails to see me making a tit out of myself on the dancefloor.

The music is brilliant. The lyrics are witty and interesting. Out of interest andy how many smiths albums have you give a good listen to? (including the lyrics)

There is a light that never goes out, how soon is now, the boy with the thorn in his side  etc you cant deny these are great songs.

Sorry to rant just dont like the way smiths fans get stereotyped as "depressed students feeling sorry for themselves" seems a bit of a lazy generalization.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #109 on: February 6, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »
Stone Roses are a better band than the smiths. The rest are not ,although some of them are very good. And im not a student, or depressed, or a shoegazer or any of that shite, and never have been. This charming man never fails to see me making a tit out of myself on the dancefloor.

The music is brilliant. The lyrics are witty and interesting. Out of interest andy how many smiths albums have you give a good listen to? (including the lyrics)

There is a light that never goes out, how soon is now, the boy with the thorn in his side  etc you cant deny these are great songs.

Sorry to rant just dont like the way smiths fans get stereotyped as "depressed students feeling sorry for themselves" seems a bit of a lazy generalization.

I made a point of buying a couple of albums plus the 'best of'. I'm always willing to be proven wrong and listen to music to try to get more than I get now.

This has worked in the past. Joy Division I never liked. I forced myself to listen to it and I now think they were superb. I was totally wrong slating them.

I've forced myself to listen to the Smiths time and again but It just irritates me and Morriseys 'singing' just grates on your nerves. How someone so basically untalented can front a band is anyones guess.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #110 on: February 6, 2011, 02:35:59 pm »
Franky Mr Shankly this position I hold
It pays my way and it corrodes my soul
I want to leave
You will not miss me
I want to go down in musical history

Franky Mr Shankly I'm a sickening wreck
I've got the twenty first century breathing down my neck
I must move fast
You understand me?
I want to go down in celluloid history
(Mr Shankly)

Fame, fame, fatal fame
It can play hideous tricks on the brain
But still I'd rather be famous, than righteous, or holy
Any day, any day, any day

But sometimes I feel more fulfilled
Making Christmas cards with the mentally ill
I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I've held
It pays my way and it corrodes my soul
Oh, I didn't realise, that you wrote poetry
I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry
(Mr Shankly)

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask
You are a flatulent pain in the arse
I do not mean to be so rude
Still I must speak frankly Mr Shankly

Oh, give us your money

Great song

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 6, 2011, 09:23:44 pm »
I've forced myself to listen to the Smiths time and again but It just irritates me and Morriseys 'singing' just grates on your nerves. How someone so basically untalented can front a band is anyones guess.

I can understand that. He's not 'classically' a great singer and can understand why people would find him annoying. Thing is, his lyrics are genuinely touching and hilarious and the way he sings just fits perfectly with what he's singing about. It's all subjective at the end of day I guess and those that can relate, do absolutely love them.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline You'll Never Walk Alone

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys...
« Reply #112 on: February 9, 2011, 07:53:01 pm »
For me, its just as important for a frontman to have charisma and something 'different' as it is to have a good voice. I see the likes of Ian Brown and Shaun Ryder as brilliant frontmen, despite the fact neither can actually sing. Music needs characters, not auto-tuned 'pop' stars churning out shite after shite.
Quote from: Youll Never Walk Alone on September  2, 2007, 12:38:14 PM
Voronin = Bargain.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:10 am »
Money Changes Everything. Paint A Vulgar Picture.

There isn't a single duff track on 'Meat Is Murder'. Johnny Marr is a Rock Star. Stephen Patrick is a God Amongst Men.

Go with this. Best album?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2011, 09:40:39 am »
For me, its just as important for a frontman to have charisma and something 'different' as it is to have a good voice. I see the likes of Ian Brown and Shaun Ryder as brilliant frontmen, despite the fact neither can actually sing. Music needs characters, not auto-tuned 'pop' stars churning out shite after shite.

I agree with that. After all New Order are one of my favourite bands and anyone that thinks Barney can sing for shite is clearly deluded. But his voice suits their earlier stuff (think the newer stuff is all crap to be honest).

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2011, 02:45:05 am »

In your humble opinion Lents. It's not an exact science is it?

For instance one of the bands Andy listed had 4 musicians who could all play a variety of instruments, could all sing and could all write, produced and arranged all their own material at the studio they also owned, two of their members invented a guitar attachment called the Gismo which allowed the guitar to sound at times like a Cello or Violin. Yes 10cc were an incredibly talented band the likes of which the UK has only rarely seen, they were witty, tuneful and incredibly inventive, so if it were a science i think they piss all over The Smiths.

I'm not knocking The Smiths, a lot of people have connected with them and they have an incredibly loyal following for a reason but to claim Andy's post was bollocks is unfair to those bands he mentioned.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:30 am »
All I'll say to Andy is, there's a club that you'd like to go you could meet somebody who really loves you, so you go and you stand on your own and you leave on your own and you go home and you cry and you want to die!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:28 am »
Oh, give us your money

What a line to finish a song with ;D

love it

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
Go with this. Best album?

I usually knee jerk and say 'Strangeways' because although it's patchy it's also fantastic, some great songs set against the emotional politics of the band breaking up. Strangeways may be The Smiths' greatest achivement, but I think Meat is Murder is their finest album. It really is forty minutes of faultlessness.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:50 am »
I was watching a doco on The Queen Is Dead over the weekend and for anyone to think that The Smiths are not one of the most important bands of the past 50 years needs a wake up call.

It's fair enough to suggest that you don't like the band but credit is still ude for the impact that have had on British culture these past 30 years. :)