Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12385999 times)

Offline kop306

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #106680 on: January 21, 2024, 11:02:56 am »
great performance from the lads

some serious talent there

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #106681 on: January 21, 2024, 01:18:29 pm »
Nyoni was superb also.  Everything about him screamed level above.

Yeah, he does give that impression, can see why they brought him in and the fact he's already been around the first team squad a few times bodes well.

The most impressive of the attacking players for me is Kone Doherty, another one they'll definitely have high hopes for, great to see Koumas and Danns scoring so regularly though, hope they can make the step up.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106682 on: January 21, 2024, 03:14:50 pm »

Nyonni and Kone Doherty look the best, feel like Koumas doesn’t have the athleticism to go to the next level up, he’s a good penalty box player but not much more, Danns will end up in midfield IMO

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106683 on: January 22, 2024, 12:14:38 am »
Nyonni and Kone Doherty look the best, feel like Koumas doesn’t have the athleticism to go to the next level up, he’s a good penalty box player but not much more, Danns will end up in midfield IMO
Koumas looked athletic enough on the last goal!  His dad though, now there was a player that was a booster of athleticism away from being a top, top player.

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #106684 on: January 22, 2024, 11:47:19 am »
Not sure if its been mentioned but Luke Chambers was MOTM in his debut at the weekend. Left centre back in a back 3. Nice little assist as well.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106685 on: January 22, 2024, 12:37:20 pm »
Not sure if its been mentioned but Luke Chambers was MOTM in his debut at the weekend. Left centre back in a back 3. Nice little assist as well.

Seems like an intelligent choice of team to move to if he’s going to play left side of a back 3. Good learning for tucking in from left back whilst our right back inverts into midfield.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #106686 on: January 22, 2024, 01:18:53 pm »
Finally. A genuine no.9 who will finally come through? Seems like we have players through the years coming through in every position bar the no.9 spot

It has definitely been too long, but we've had a few who may have broken through if not for injury - typically an ACL   >:(

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106687 on: January 22, 2024, 01:24:03 pm »
IMO centre backs are different, as they have very different development curves from any other outfield players bar keepers I would argue.

Quansah might not have had the hype and quality of performance like a Colwill did, but to me it's more about attributes, and Quansah actually has them. Miles more natural talent than someone like Carra. Only thing he's lacking is elite pace, but he's otherwise physically perfect, he's very good on the ball, and arguably the most important mental attribute for a CB, calmness under pressure, he 100% has got. Only thing's for him to work on, are the basic things young CB's need to work on which are mental errors, and also ensuring he perfects his positional play given he won't have the speed to recover from mistakes like our other non Matip CB's have. If he does that, he's gonna be a world class CB for far longer than Carra was.

It's a good point, and I think Virgil even said as much when speaking about his development. Van Dijk wasn't that prodigious as a teen. When he went to Celtic, they knew they had a player but even then, I saw him get schooled by Inverness Caley Thistle in a cup game once.

Perhaps the closest I've seen to a prodigious teenage centre back is our own Joe Gomez. He's still sublime, I wonder what he'd be if he wasn't injury prone. Certainly would be England's best defender by far.... actually scratch that, he probably is still the best, but then they have that fool in charge of England.

Where Quansah is is very encouraging though.

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #106688 on: January 22, 2024, 01:28:53 pm »
I like Danns too, but the big question is whether he's still as effective when playing against men and his physicality isn't a difference maker.  But he has everything you'd need for a modern centre forward.

Here's the thing, the aspects of his game that have impressed me and I've found encouraging, have little to nothing to do with his size, such as his link play on the ground, finishing with both feet, driving with the ball and cutting in, etc. He could well have come away with a hattrick & 2 assists had it not been for a terrific save & some last-ditch defending.

If he can continue his physical growth & strength, all these abilities will help at the next level.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106689 on: January 22, 2024, 07:51:41 pm »
Elliott isn't really an academy player though, is he.  What's the criteria for this?
Criteria is it's sky sports so it must be sensationalised.

Both elliot and doak had already played first team football before they joined us. U21 football isn't academy football when you have people like Spearing and Mcshane playing games.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #106690 on: January 22, 2024, 08:37:05 pm »
Finally. A genuine no.9 who will finally come through? Seems like we have players through the years coming through in every position bar the no.9 spot

Brewster and Stewart were good prospects but battered by bad injuries at key stages of development.

Cannonier was doing well last season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106691 on: January 22, 2024, 08:59:40 pm »
Koumas looked athletic enough on the last goal!  His dad though, now there was a player that was a booster of athleticism away from being a top, top player.

that’s my fear for him, he will definitely make it as a pro but at the top level you need to be a world class athlete

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #106692 on: January 22, 2024, 10:24:01 pm »

My fear for him is that he is not defensively dominant enough to be a CB for us and not attacking enough to be a LB for us but I think he was pretty nervous when he got first team minutes so let’s see

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106693 on: January 23, 2024, 01:00:27 am »
Haven't followed the youngsters for a while: who are the best prospects? Who's name should I remember? :D
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106694 on: January 23, 2024, 01:14:57 am »
Haven't followed the youngsters for a while: who are the best prospects? Who's name should I remember? :D

I'd say the best chance of stepping up into the first team squad currently is:

Nyoni (Centre Mid) (Already trained with first team squad)
Kone-Doherty (Left Wing)
Danns (Centre Forward)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #106695 on: January 23, 2024, 10:23:42 pm »
Another win/clean sheet tonight for Chambers with Wigan

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #106696 on: January 23, 2024, 11:06:44 pm »
Another win/clean sheet tonight for Chambers with Wigan

Wigan scored the winner 20 minutes into injury time.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #106697 on: January 23, 2024, 11:08:37 pm »
Wigan scored the winner 20 minutes into injury time.

Referee got poleaxed during the game apparently. Can only hope it happens in a Liverpool game soon.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106698 on: January 24, 2024, 03:03:05 pm »
James Balagizi has completed a loan move to Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock for the remainder of the season, subject to international clearance.

The 20-year-old Liverpool midfielder links up with Killie after spending the first half of 2023-24 with Wigan Athletic.

Balagizi, who joined the Reds as an U11 player, signed a new contract at the club last summer.

He has twice been named on the bench for the senior side under Jürgen Klopp and was part of the U18s team that reached the FA Youth Cup final in 2021.

Kilmarnock currently sit fourth in the Scottish Premiership and are next in action when they host Hibernian on Saturday.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106699 on: January 24, 2024, 03:41:33 pm »
Kieran Morrison and Nyoni are the most talented then probably Davidson and Kone-Doherty. Misciur given they he has already trained with the first team and our history with academy keepers should also be considered.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106700 on: January 24, 2024, 04:24:35 pm »
our u18 got spanked by ajax 10-0. yes you read that right. no idea who played though.

hendo already having an influence there i see ;D.

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106701 on: January 24, 2024, 05:42:55 pm »

Ajax U18s hammer Liverpool U18s 10-0 in Amsterdam friendly on same day as Jordan Henderson takes part in first training session with new club after switch from Saudi Arabia

Ajax's Under 18s side gave Liverpool's young guns a schooling in Amsterdam as they triumphed 10-0 in a friendly.

The Dutch youngsters made a blistering start to the game, going 1-0 up inside the first minute, and were eight goals to the good by half-time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13002013/Ajax-U18s-Liverpool-U18s-10-0-Jordan-Henderson-Saudi-Arabia.html

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #106702 on: January 25, 2024, 09:50:58 am »
Ajax U18s hammer Liverpool U18s 10-0 in Amsterdam friendly on same day as Jordan Henderson takes part in first training session with new club after switch from Saudi Arabia

Ajax's Under 18s side gave Liverpool's young guns a schooling in Amsterdam as they triumphed 10-0 in a friendly.

The Dutch youngsters made a blistering start to the game, going 1-0 up inside the first minute, and were eight goals to the good by half-time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13002013/Ajax-U18s-Liverpool-U18s-10-0-Jordan-Henderson-Saudi-Arabia.html

There is no mention on the official website about this fixture.  And I can't imagine a strong team especially after Saturdays game. There was no Nyoni he was with the first team.
We have drawn Fulham in the next round of the Youth Cup at home.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106703 on: January 25, 2024, 02:44:38 pm »
Although there are a few reports mentioning a changed line-up, I can't find the line-up itself anywhere.

Ajax have the highlights up on their Youtube channel, if someone more familiar with the youngsters wants to have a go at identifying who played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbTegIVm3zQ

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #106704 on: January 25, 2024, 03:58:14 pm »
Although there are a few reports mentioning a changed line-up, I can't find the line-up itself anywhere.

Ajax have the highlights up on their Youtube channel, if someone more familiar with the youngsters wants to have a go at identifying who played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbTegIVm3zQ

The line-up according to this twitter account was

https://twitter.com/LFCApproved/status/1750152156588519793

Morana, Pitt, Evers, Enaharo-Marcus, Furnell-Gill, Airobama, Kelly, Laffey, Pennington, Danns, Figueora

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106705 on: January 26, 2024, 07:28:19 pm »
Good few posts about Klopp and the academy from I'm pretty sure a Manchester United fan
https://twitter.com/rowdencon/status/1750905896803143680?t=rNvEQay-XvIgbq183gHnaw&s=19

Wonder how long it'll be before we see another elite coach at a top Premier League club who is willing to use the academy like Klopp. Doesn't just focus on what they can do for him long term, but also how they can help in short term bursts, even when they're sub-elite prospects.

He's done it from day one, 30 games from Kevin Stewart + Brad Smith to 50 from Nat Phillips + R. Williams, Tyler Morton with more minutes for Liverpool than Mejbri for United, 5 seasons of Kelleher as back up GK + countless others, 2.5 seasons of N. Williams as 2nd choice RB.

It's not about 100s of games from the elite talents (TAA, Jones + Elliott), but the fact he plays + bigs up the next tier of players + still competes for every trophy. Rather than spending his whole reign moaning about transfers + demanding more and more and more like most peers.

Another thing that'll be hard to replace

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106706 on: January 27, 2024, 12:37:42 pm »
Nottingham Forest U 18 V Liverpool U 18 12.30

Misciur , Pitt , Furnell Gill , Airoboma , Hewitt Giblin , K Kelly , Trueman , Martin , Figueroa , Lambie , Morrison ,
Subs
Gyimah , Morana , Enahoro Marcus , Evers , Upton

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106707 on: January 27, 2024, 12:53:33 pm »
Goal
Nottingham Forest U 18 1 Liverpool U 18 0
Conor Lewis Brown 17'

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106708 on: January 27, 2024, 12:57:02 pm »
GOAL

Nottingham Forest 1 Liverpool 1
Tyler Martin 20'
(Assist  K Figueroa )
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:43:32 pm by Boston Bosox »

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106709 on: January 27, 2024, 01:24:12 pm »
Half-Time

Nottingham Forest Under 18 1 Liverpool Under 18 1

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106710 on: January 27, 2024, 01:47:50 pm »
Goal

Nottingham Forest 2 Liverpool 1

Conor Lewis Brown 51'

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106711 on: January 27, 2024, 02:31:35 pm »
Full Time

Nottingham Forest U 18  2  Liverpool U 18  1

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106712 on: January 27, 2024, 03:42:47 pm »
Match Report

Liverpool U18s suffered a 2-1 defeat away at Nottingham Forest on Saturday afternoon.

Tyler Martin was on the scoresheet for the Reds but a double from Conor Brown saw the hosts clinch victory in the U18s Premier League North.

Martin equalised for the Reds after Brown's 17th-minute opener before the Forest forward struck again early in the second half to decide the affair.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com post-match, U18s manager Marc Bridge-Wilkinson said: "It was a difficult game, difficult pitch. We dealt with the conditions OK, although I think Forest dealt with them a little bit better than us and on the day I thought they were quite good.

"We had some decent individual moments but I don't think as a team we were hard enough to play against."

TEAM

Liverpool U18s: Misciur, Pitt, Furnell-Gill, Airoboma, Giblin (Gyimah, 64), Kelly, Trueman, Martin, Figueroa, Sonni-Lambie, Morrison.

Unused subs: Morana, Enahoro-Marcus, Upton, Evers.

NEXT UP

Liverpool travel to Manchester United in the league on Tuesday night.

The clash at the Carrington Training Centre kicks off at 7pm GMT and can be watched live on LFCTV and LFCTV GO.

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106713 on: January 28, 2024, 12:10:53 pm »
Liverpool U 21 V Fulham U 21 (12PM )

Mrozek , Lucky , Pinnington , Nallo , Scanlon , Davidson , Pilling , Nyoni , Gordon , Danns , Koumas ,

Subs

Kone Doherty , O.G.Kelly , Miles , Spearing , Pennington

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106714 on: January 28, 2024, 12:25:05 pm »
GOAL

Liverpool 1 Fulham 0
Jayden Danns 19'

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106715 on: January 28, 2024, 12:27:02 pm »

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106716 on: January 28, 2024, 12:51:56 pm »
Half Time

Liverpool  1  Fulham  0

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106717 on: January 28, 2024, 01:25:22 pm »
GOAL

Liverpool 2 Fulham 0
Lewis Koumas 61'
(Assist Kaide Gordon)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 01:30:18 pm by Boston Bosox »

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106718 on: January 28, 2024, 02:00:06 pm »
Full Time

Liverpool  2  Fulham 0

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #106719 on: January 29, 2024, 07:28:39 pm »
Beck back to Dundee?