Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 9954145 times)

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99560 on: April 29, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
Only things I don't agree with you are Wilson getting sold and Hoever getting backup rb minutes.  I think Wilson will get a loan to a prem club next year and the only minutes that Hoever will get are early cup round games at CB.  I think we'll stick with Trent and Gomez for the RB position next year with Milner as emergency/3rd choice.  I do think Brewster will get opportunities as Sturridge is clearly leaving. 

wilson will need a prem loan. more shop window action.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99561 on: April 29, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
Only things I don't agree with you are Wilson getting sold and Hoever getting backup rb minutes.  I think Wilson will get a loan to a prem club next year and the only minutes that Hoever will get are early cup round games at CB.  I think we'll stick with Trent and Gomez for the RB position next year with Milner as emergency/3rd choice.  I do think Brewster will get opportunities as Sturridge is clearly leaving.

Think Hoever will get RB minutes in the cups and I honestly can see Milner leaving this season if Leeds come up and we only have a year left on his contract and could make 10mill from him. Gomez will be 2nd choice CB but yes I think he will shift to RB if Trent cant play and Matip will step in CB but I think hoever will get some decent games this year. Think they rate him very highly at the Academy.

I also think Wilson will get sold because hes 22 and his price is the highest it will ever be. Think we can sell for 20-25m and insert a buy back of 30-35m if he turns into something amazing which I dont see happening. We did the same thing with Ibe when we sold for 15min and pretty sure had a Buy Back clause inserted.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #99562 on: April 29, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
Think Hoever will get RB minutes in the cups and I honestly can see Milner leaving this season if Leeds come up and we only have a year left on his contract and could make 10mill from him. Gomez will be 2nd choice CB but yes I think he will shift to RB if Trent cant play and Matip will step in CB but I think hoever will get some decent games this year. Think they rate him very highly at the Academy.

I also think Wilson will get sold because hes 22 and his price is the highest it will ever be. Think we can sell for 20-25m and insert a buy back of 30-35m if he turns into something amazing which I dont see happening. We did the same thing with Ibe when we sold for 15min and pretty sure had a Buy Back clause inserted.

Not a hope in hell we will get that for Wilson, of all the players leaving discarding the Squad players I think we can get a good 40/50m for them.
If you donít stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline Boxing Day 'Top Trumps' Champion

• Believer
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #99563 on: April 30, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

Definitely something to be improved upon

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Believer
« Reply #99564 on: April 30, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »

Real Madrid United and Barcelona in the top 10 and very few of these youngsters are actually top class. Saying that is much  harder to do though when youíre going for a 100 point season in  very a competitive league

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #99565 on: April 30, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

Surely the idea is to bring through genuinely top class players, the likes of TAA, who can be a starter in a side going for CL and PL titles, rather than players like who are in the United or Spurs side who wouldnít get near our team.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Believer
« Reply #99566 on: April 30, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »

Good to see Man City's £200m academy investment paying off.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Believer
« Reply #99567 on: April 30, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
Surely the idea is to bring through genuinely top class players, the likes of TAA, who can be a starter in a side going for CL and PL titles, rather than players like who are in the United or Spurs side who wouldnít get near our team.

Harry Winks for example would do pretty well in our team, as would Rashford both arenít the level of TAA which is the very very top level, but of course they could still contribute.

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #99568 on: April 30, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
Harry Winks for example would do pretty well in our team, as would Rashford both arenít the level of TAA which is the very very top level, but of course they could still contribute.

The little Iíve seen of Winks Iím not sure heís better than any of our midfielders.

As for Rashford, heís massively overrated.

Offline lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #99569 on: April 30, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »
Who's gonna pay us the £20m+ that Wilson is gonna cost? He'll probably do a Prem loan, if a suitable one can be arranged, after being with us for some of pre-season.

Offline lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #99570 on: April 30, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
If we get one lad into our squad every two years we'd be doing really well. Hopefully that'll be Brewster next season, but don't see where there's room to maintain win the league and blood the youth as contiguous goals.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Believer
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #99571 on: April 30, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »
If we get one lad into our squad every two years we'd be doing really well. Hopefully that'll be Brewster next season, but don't see where there's room to maintain win the league and blood the youth as contiguous goals.

You absolutely can. I'd argue it's the best time to do it. It gives the youth a winning mentality when you bring them through when you're successful, as long as you do it naturally.

I'd liken Wilson a bit to how Shaqiri plays, he really loves playing between the lines.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #99572 on: April 30, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
You absolutely can. I'd argue it's the best time to do it. It gives the youth a winning mentality when you bring them through when you're successful, as long as you do it naturally.

I'd liken Wilson a bit to how Shaqiri plays, he really loves playing between the lines.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Bringing youngsters into a winning team is easier than bringing them into one that's struggling.

I guess I just meant we've so little space to breathe in this season. Like, would you like to have Brewster or Sturridge on the bench against Wolves if someone gets injured?

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Believer
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #99573 on: April 30, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. Bringing youngsters into a winning team is easier than bringing them into one that's struggling.

I guess I just meant we've so little space to breathe in this season. Like, would you like to have Brewster or Sturridge on the bench against Wolves if someone gets injured?

Honestly I've not seen enough of Brewster to judge. I still love Sturridge, but he really sticks out like a sore thumb in our team when he plays.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #99574 on: April 30, 2019, 03:22:26 PM »
Sturridge can't (or won't) sprint and it's heartbreaking.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #99575 on: April 30, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
Who's gonna pay us the £20m+ that Wilson is gonna cost? He'll probably do a Prem loan, if a suitable one can be arranged, after being with us for some of pre-season.

Harry... have you ever been to Bournmouth?
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline disgraced cake

• Believer
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #99576 on: April 30, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
I'd be quite sad to see Wilson go, because from what I've seen of him the quality is there for him to be a premier league footballer. I'd rather we sold him than loan him out again this summer, the latter option just seems pointless at this point.

Hoever and Duncan interest me most at this point. I'd imagine the plan with them would be to keep them both in the 23s next season, and if they improve loan them out to a good level of football, be it the championship or perhaps even abroad. I think waiting so long to send Wilson out to the championship might have been a killer. Everyone saw his talent, but I felt like we kept him in the u23s for about a year longer than we should have, given he could have been playing competitive football earlier.

Perhaps we'll get a nice cup draw next season and they'll figure into it somehow.
Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #99577 on: April 30, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
Sturridge can't (or won't) sprint and it's heartbreaking.
won't  haha yeah right
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline plucking affattedgoose

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #99578 on: April 30, 2019, 06:11:16 PM »

Aye they would, as probably would Jan Molby still.
Or he could read Babu's Twitter threads, which is where I get my opinions from

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #99579 on: April 30, 2019, 06:31:23 PM »
I'd be quite sad to see Wilson go, because from what I've seen of him the quality is there for him to be a premier league footballer. I'd rather we sold him than loan him out again this summer, the latter option just seems pointless at this point.

Hoever and Duncan interest me most at this point. I'd imagine the plan with them would be to keep them both in the 23s next season, and if they improve loan them out to a good level of football, be it the championship or perhaps even abroad. I think waiting so long to send Wilson out to the championship might have been a killer. Everyone saw his talent, but I felt like we kept him in the u23s for about a year longer than we should have, given he could have been playing competitive football earlier.

Perhaps we'll get a nice cup draw next season and they'll figure into it somehow.
You think Duncan is better than Glatzel?
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Believer
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #99580 on: April 30, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
Wilson will get a chance pre season, I'm sure of it. In fact I think he may even be given until January to prove himself. Players with Wilson's long distance shooting ability don't come around too often, I think Klopp will want to work with him for a while before making a decision on his future.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline andy macca

• Main Stander
  • I love you Rafa
« Reply #99581 on: April 30, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
Looks like the young reds have beaten man city 1 nil and won the league as well as the youth cup.

Well done everyone at the academy.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99582 on: April 30, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
Brewster is in the traveling squad to Barcelona...

Pretty good for him...
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Coolie High

• Believer
« Reply #99583 on: April 30, 2019, 10:03:18 PM »
Aye they would, as probably would Jan Molby still.

;D

You donít think so? He was pretty good against Madrid for example.

Offline HopefulRed

• Believer
« Reply #99584 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
Looks like the young reds have beaten man city 1 nil and [/b]won the league[/b]as well as the youth cup.

Well done everyone at the academy.

Nope.  Theyíd need to wi their final game something like 11 or 12 - nil to win the North league.  Good win again v Man City but I think City weíre playing a much changed, largely U16 team

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #99585 on: May 4, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
U18s play at 1230. 10 goal win needed to finish top, which isnt impossible given some of the scorelines you get at this level and you dont know how strong the opposition will go.

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #99586 on: May 4, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
Won 1-0. Orourke at the end. Really good season for the u18s. Most should be playing u23s next year but really depends on clearing out a fair few of the older youth players.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #99587 on: May 6, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
wilson will need a prem loan. more shop window action.

Cannot see another loan, he'll be gone this summer.

Offline Office Party Drunken Barney Fistfight

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #99588 on: May 9, 2019, 02:50:15 PM »
Hypothetical question - If we have a youth player out on loan to a League 1 side, now that their season is over, can that youth player now play in our last league game?

Offline HopefulRed

• Believer
« Reply #99589 on: May 9, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
Hypothetical question - If we have a youth player out on loan to a League 1 side, now that their season is over, can that youth player now play in our last league game?

I think the only one we have I Herbie Kane and I think he I involved in the playoffs.  But hypothetically, probably not.  He will still be registered to the other club and I think the release-to-play (if theyíre not involved in playing matches for their registered club) is only to U23/academy games.  The release to play doesnít apply to non youth loanees. 

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99590 on: May 10, 2019, 04:16:42 PM »
You think Duncan is better than Glatzel?

For me, Glatzel is way better, Duncan is a goalmachine but Glatzel is so much more. I'm really looking forward to see how Glatzel progresses from here.

Also, I really want Harry Wilson to get a chance for us next season, he's ready for it.

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #99591 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
I think that a lot of the people that are writing of Wilsons career with us haven't took into account of our system. We've got a first team full of write offs and misfits. Robbo, Hendo, Milner, Matip, Gini, Lovren, etc. All playing to a standard that was unthinkable at certain parts of their respective careers. Harry has talent, when you put someone with talent in a well oiled machine like ours they bloom. I would be surprised to see him leave to be honest. We could really use someone with his skills in the squad

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #99592 on: May 10, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
Goal have just released a piece on Harry and his development targets. Seems like he's smashed them. Well in lad!!

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/wembley-bound-premier-league-bound-liverpool-loanee-wilson/133w3q0u9vdd3146bszcesf4jl

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #99593 on: May 10, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
Good to see Man City's £200m academy investment paying off.

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Believer
« Reply #99594 on: May 10, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »
Article that includes a brief talk about Herbie Kane - https://statsbomb.com/2019/05/league-one-playoff-preview/

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Believer
« Reply #99595 on: May 10, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
i wonder if woodburn is quick enough to play in a klopp MF?

if we're looking at aouar to play as that MF that links with attack i'd say ben's days are numbered as houssem just a year older.

sell him in the summer if we can't get him a decent shop window loan to push his value up?

same with grujic.  i like the look of him but it would be mental to turn down £35m from Atletico.

that would pay - for example - rabiot signing on fee and a big chunk of his wages.

Woodburn has the quality to continue with him, he does need to develop a burst of acceleration so he can create space for himself but the skill and intelligence is there.

Grujic us interesting as he could become a beast of a player if he's learned to play at a higher tempo but I do feel he will be sold for a decent profit

Rabiot hasn't shown a great attitude at PSG, wouldn't want a prima Donna spoiling our team spirit if he's not playing regular

Agree on the comments about Glatzel, he's got the game and the mentality to become a big part of what Klopp wants to do at Liverpool

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #99596 on: May 10, 2019, 11:12:40 PM »
So, Michael Edwards has been watching Harry Wilson! Hmm..

Doesn't stick with the narrative that the club has given up on him though.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #99597 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:38 AM »
So, Michael Edwards has been watching Harry Wilson! Hmm..

Doesn't stick with the narrative that the club has given up on him though.

And wondering how much he can sell him for?

Haha - I kid - I want this kid to make it here to prove the doubters wrong.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #99598 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
As I've stated in here before I can see quite a few of our U23s heading the door this Summer.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99599 on: May 11, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »
I think the youth staff have said that