Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 9901608 times)

Online Chris~

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99800 on: June 23, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
Harper looked really good the couple times I've seen him but don't think it'd good for him to join us at this time.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • Believer
« Reply #99801 on: June 23, 2019, 05:04:56 PM »
LFC have signed a young Northern Irishman, Conor Bradley. Will join up in July when he turns 16. He's described as a winger with "blinding pace, mesmerizing skill and an eye for goal" by the Ulster Herald.

We are also linked with Rekeem Harper of WBA. 19 yo central midfielder who is soon to be out of contract.
Sounds like he could be a future Ballon D'or winner, going by that. Or standard newspaper hyperbole. Hopefully the former.

Offline IanZG

• Believer
« Reply #99802 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »
Harper looked really good the couple times I've seen him but don't think it'd good for him to join us at this time.

Possibly a Kevin Stewart type of signing, a player out of contract in a position where our U23 squad is short of players at.

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99803 on: June 23, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
Sounds like he could be a future Ballon D'or winner, going by that. Or standard newspaper hyperbole. Hopefully the former.
The article definitely sounded like it was dictated by his mum lol. Always exciting to see new youngsters arrive nonetheless.

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99804 on: June 23, 2019, 05:14:55 PM »
Possibly a Kevin Stewart type of signing, a player out of contract in a position where our U23 squad is short of players at.
A much more highly rated youngster than Stewart was though, to be fair. Will be interesting to see if he thinks he can get immediate first team minutes elsewhere or decides to play the long game with us. His other "links" are to clubs like Spurs and Juve- so either his agent is just trying to attach his name to the big boys, or hes not making too many demands for first team football just yet.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • Believer
« Reply #99805 on: June 23, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
The article definitely sounded like it was dictated by his mum lol. Always exciting to see new youngsters arrive nonetheless.
Definitely mate, I always enjoy when we sign youth players too. Especially when they sound like the bestest things ever.

In all seriousness, I do sometimes think it's an area we could be focusing on a little bit more. I wonder whether our current policy of not offering the big bucks to youngsters is hampering our ability to sign the very best youth players around. Would be a shame if so, but maybe it's for the best.

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99806 on: June 23, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
Definitely mate, I always enjoy when we sign youth players too. Especially when they sound like the bestest things ever.

In all seriousness, I do sometimes think it's an area we could be focusing on a little bit more. I wonder whether our current policy of not offering the big bucks to youngsters is hampering our ability to sign the very best youth players around. Would be a shame if so, but maybe it's for the best.

I think it's partly an issue with the youth setups in England as well. Such a massive gap between the u23 level and first team football, which is why I think we are seeing more kids going abroad now. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but with very few teams in the top half of the table consistently bedding in their top youngsters, you can see why more might be hesitant to sign up.

On the bright side, the article on the Bradley lad mentions that he's been training sporadically with LFC for the past year, and even went on that trip to Germany with them when they won the indoor tourney. That at least speaks to our dedication to finding these potential gems early on.

Online Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #99807 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Hes a lot better than stewart was and was already getting decent minutes in the championship. Wouldn't make sense to sign to play for our u23s  when he could play at a much higher level now.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #99808 on: June 24, 2019, 07:21:21 AM »
Hes a lot better than stewart was and was already getting decent minutes in the championship. Wouldn't make sense to sign to play for our u23s  when he could play at a much higher level now.

Maybe the club will just loan him to a better team? Win, win for all concerned really.

Offline Kage

• Believer
    • CK Courier Solutions
« Reply #99809 on: June 24, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
I think it's partly an issue with the youth setups in England as well. Such a massive gap between the u23 level and first team football, which is why I think we are seeing more kids going abroad now. I'm not sure what the solution to this is, but with very few teams in the top half of the table consistently bedding in their top youngsters, you can see why more might be hesitant to sign up.

On the bright side, the article on the Bradley lad mentions that he's been training sporadically with LFC for the past year, and even went on that trip to Germany with them when they won the indoor tourney. That at least speaks to our dedication to finding these potential gems early on.

Another problem that comes from there being too much at stake in the PL. That and the fact that you can lose 1 game all season and still not be champions. The PL is so short sighted.

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #99810 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
I see Abdi Sharif has now signed his first professional contract, so he is staying.  On the official site if you don't believe me!

Offline xbugawugax

• Believer
« Reply #99811 on: June 27, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
our coaches must see something special in abdi to get him to sign on the dotted line.

any idea what kind of midfielder he is?

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
« Reply #99812 on: June 27, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
our coaches must see something special in abdi to get him to sign on the dotted line.

any idea what kind of midfielder he is?

My impression is he is closest to Hendo.  Good running power, some ability on the ball, just keeps going
He seems one of those "handy" players.  One of those midfielders who can do a bit of everything but doesn't have one outstanding attribute.  But that's my take from limited viewing, others might know more

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Anny Roader

Offline thisyearisouryear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #99814 on: June 28, 2019, 05:20:51 AM »
What happened with Camacho? I thought he had a bright future here.

Offline Redman78

• Believer
« Reply #99815 on: June 28, 2019, 06:59:17 AM »

Online Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #99816 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »
He was never going to get any real playing time here and wanted out. I never really got where all the hype came from, he wasnt as good as good as ojo/kent/canos/wilson were for the academy and they've all struggled to get near the first team. He was also never a right back so it was odd he was with the first team as cover for there.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99817 on: June 28, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
We wanted to give him game time at right back.

He only wants to play as a forward.  So he chose to move on.

Amicable agreement I reckon
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. He's creepy and he's kooky, mysterious and spooky, he's altogether ooky, he's Adam's fa-mi-ly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #99818 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
Camacho officially gone.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/354846-rafael-camacho-completes-transfer-to-sporting-cp

Shame but he wanted to play as a forward instead of RB but should of waited because we do need cover for our front 3 and he could of been that.

Great deal though for us considering he has 1 year left on his contract plus we get 20% sell on and have buy back on him plus we might have first pick to sign Bruno.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:47:35 AM by Fordy »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #99820 on: June 29, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Best of luck , feel weíve let a good one slip away

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99821 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
Hi lads, anyone seeing Taiwo Awoniyi enough to give a proper scout report of this guy and what type of forward he is? Still any chance he will make it to the first team of LFC? cheers

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn.
  • Kopite
« Reply #99822 on: June 30, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
Hi lads, anyone seeing Taiwo Awoniyi enough to give a proper scout report of this guy and what type of forward he is? Still any chance he will make it to the first team of LFC? cheers

Even if Klopp rates him I'd imagine he's some way off being able to get a work permit. I've never seen him play.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99823 on: June 30, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »
Even if Klopp rates him I'd imagine he's some way off being able to get a work permit. I've never seen him play.
I believe he has Belgium passport already, should be easy for Klopp. If he rates him. Scored 12 and assisted 6 in the belgium top division, he looks more technical version of Origi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEKkDYHQio

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99824 on: July 2, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »
Anyone heard anything about us signing a Fulham youngster, Harvey Elliot? Seems to be doing the rounds on Twitter because of some instagram goodbye he posted? Not the most concrete of links, I grant you, but interesting nonetheless. Made his PL debut this past season as a 16 year old so is clearly highly rated.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Believer
« Reply #99825 on: July 2, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
Haven't watched him, but based on hype alone he is supposed to be a Sancho level talent and quite easily one of the best talents in this country, we haven't made a domestic youth signing like this since Sterling, It's very exciting if we do get him.

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #99826 on: July 2, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
Haven't watched him, but based on hype alone he is supposed to be a Sancho level talent and quite easily one of the best talents in this country, we haven't made a domestic youth signing like this since Sterling, It's very exciting if we do get him.

Gomez?

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99827 on: July 2, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »

Very interesting, I assumed he was a big prospect as he was given his debut this season. Wasn't aware that he is seen as a Sancho-level talent though. That would indeed be a big deal if he comes to us. Surprised it's still so hush-hush, but I suppose if he's still only 16 it wouldn't be highly advertised.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Believer
« Reply #99828 on: July 3, 2019, 04:08:50 AM »
Any ideas on whose coming on the pre-season trip? Should be room for a couple of young fullbacks given the squad as well as some young forwards given Copa/Afcon
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Maldini

• Believer
« Reply #99829 on: July 3, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
Anyone heard anything about us signing a Fulham youngster, Harvey Elliot? Seems to be doing the rounds on Twitter because of some instagram goodbye he posted? Not the most concrete of links, I grant you, but interesting nonetheless. Made his PL debut this past season as a 16 year old so is clearly highly rated.

Rob Gutmann on TAW said someone who'd know told him we were getting him the other day.

In other news Masterson has signed a two year deal with QPR

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
« Reply #99830 on: July 3, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
I see it is being reported that academy staff are "quietly optimistic" about a 16 year old midfielder on our books called Layton Stewart. Anyone know much about him?

Offline Fromola

• Such a Miserable F*cker!
  • Believer
« Reply #99831 on: July 3, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
Seeing as it's quiet in terms of the seniors on the transfer front, it's a good opportunity to buy up some young talent. A few more Van Der Berg type signings for the future. It's an easy way to make good money back in the future if nothing else (Solanke/Ibe) and you can always produce a Sterling.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #99832 on: July 3, 2019, 08:34:34 PM »
I see it is being reported that academy staff are "quietly optimistic" about a 16 year old midfielder on our books called Layton Stewart. Anyone know much about him?
sounds like a formula one team.
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Mighty Zeus

• Believer
  • God of thunder, lightning and so on
« Reply #99833 on: July 3, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
sounds like a formula one team.

Layton Stewart is a service station on the M5 somewhere between Bristol and Exeter.

Offline NsRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #99834 on: July 3, 2019, 08:46:54 PM »
The Harvey Elliot lad would be on par with the Sepp signing, albeit he is a year younger and thus further away from the first team. But in the sense that he would be an inexpensive, low-risk/high-reward type pickup, it fits that model.

Still nothing confirmed on that front though, from what I can see. It's an odd one- mentioned by a TAW fella in passing, gained steam on twitter then just disappeared as a news bit.

Offline HopefulRed

• Believer
« Reply #99835 on: July 3, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »

Been with LfC for a few years a think because Iíve seen his name before back when you used to hear more about the U16s.  An attacking MF I think.  Thought he might have been playing up towards the end of last season because I think heís an early Sept birthday so an older one within his own age group.  Perhaps for the first time for years I donít think any U16s played up.  Probably too many in the two year group last season, which meant many first years got relatively little time eg Oírouke, Ritaccio, Bearne (yes, he was injured for some of it). 

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
« Reply #99836 on: July 3, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »
Been with LfC for a few years a think because Iíve seen his name before back when you used to hear more about the U16s.  An attacking MF I think.  Thought he might have been playing up towards the end of last season because I think heís an early Sept birthday so an older one within his own age group.  Perhaps for the first time for years I donít think any U16s played up.  Probably too many in the two year group last season, which meant many first years got relatively little time eg Oírouke, Ritaccio, Bearne (yes, he was injured for some of it). 

Cheers, interesting innit!

Offline dakid

• Believer
« Reply #99837 on: July 4, 2019, 01:20:06 PM »
Seems to have made a few appearances last season - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/layton-stewart/profil/spieler/580801

You listed some of the youth Liverpool players capped by England in an earlier post so you must keep an eye on this also. I can't ever remember seeing this guy listed can you?
« Last Edit: July 4, 2019, 01:27:59 PM by dakid »

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99838 on: July 4, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
Gomez?

Gomez is brilliant but I don't remember him being that high regarded? I mean obviously he was a big talent but I'm talking wonderkids like Sterling/Sancho and Eliott apparently. From what I've read about him, I definitely want Harvey Elliott at Liverpool.

Offline dakid

• Believer
« Reply #99839 on: July 4, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »

No idea when.  It is usually a bit after they return for pre-season and some way through playing their first few friendlies.   But youíre right, it is potentially a huge cohort of second year U18s moving up: Boyes; Clayton; Dixon-B; Duncan; Glatzel; Jaros; Larouci; Longstaff; Raitanen; Sharif; Tagseth; Alex Turner; Varesanovic; Neco Williams; Rhys Williams; winterbottom. 

Even assuming Raitanen (barely played), Turner and Varesanovic (never seen play) are not offered contracts, you can understand why some of the others listed as Ďcontract offeredí are unlikely to sign.

Who joins the U18s in the new season?  Well those LFC have bought recently, ie 2 from Sunderland one of which must be Luca Stephenson, Billy Koumetio, a CB bought from France in January, and the new Polish Goalie.   Now there seems to be less mention of those under 16 in any thread anywhere (probably a very good thing), itís difficult to know who is progressing through the ranks unless you are family of friends of the boys.  But Iíve seen mention of a couple with Eng U16s caps, namely James Norris and Jarell Quansah.  Then there were those names in the U19 Ueafa champions League squad last season from the U16s, but canít find that list anymore.
The Sunderland players signed were Luke Hewitson a goalkeeper and James McConnell a winger but they are still only England u16 players.