Author Topic: Rules Of Gender Participation...  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
Rules Of Gender Participation...
« on: July 28, 2001, 08:37:48 am »
For starters is there any laws or such stating that women cannot play in the Premier League or the lower Divisions?
And if so why not?
Or is it just an 'unwritten code' that has been agreed upon buy the men who have dominated every aspect of professional football from the buearucratic dwellings of the 'CEO's' office to the playing field with a wink and a nudge.

I know there is a Ladies competition but what are the chances of a Lady plying her trade amongst the men. Surely there must be some female players who would be up to scratch with the rigours of Premier League football or come to think of it, any league in Europe or elsewhere.

Anyway, what would be interesting would be a Liverpool Ladies Vs Mens game, with  proceeds going to charity or the like, maybe during the winter break. Would be a good endorsment for the Ladies game and the Liverpools female team and would surely be a fun day out for the family.

Food for thought...
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rules Of Gender Participation...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2001, 01:26:25 pm »
I think the rules preventing women in the professional leagues were cancelled a few years ago.

As for the question "Why aren't there any women in the prem?", have you ever watched a ladies game?  ;) ;)

I quite like the idea of Liverpool Ladies against the first team. How about as a Fagan/Liddel/Saunders tribute thing?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2001, 01:54:06 pm »
At the time I was a very low-level semi pro I also played in a works five a side every week, when I was working at a London council.

The teams were made up of dodgy blokes, okay blokes - and three decent male players, myself included. A 20 year old girl called Justine Lawton (or Lorton) also played. She was on Millwall Lioness's books, and an England international. Her ball skills were better than all the blokes bar the three decent players, who also happened to play for Harefield, my semi pro side (they got me down there). She was technically good, but not outstanding, and easily knocked off the ball.

I was okay as a semi pro, and yet there were four leagues above me to the Conference, and a further four to the Premiership. The gap in each is too hard to comprehend - semi pros in the division above me looked like top class players, and we'd get shown up in cup games; and yet these players were still way below the conference.

And yet Justine was a top twenty female player in the land (Not sure where she is these days).

Women are better than men at many things in life, but sport is just a joke - men's bodies are naturally bigger, fitter, quicker and stronger, pretty much everything you need! Women's tennis is likewise a joke. The best woman wouldn't be in the men's top 1000. I am far from sexist, but women just don't have enough attributes to compete with men. It's not even arguable - it's a fact of life.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2001, 02:41:25 am »
Yeah, men are physically stronger and probably more advanced technically in the way of ball skills, like you said that's a fact but it would be interesting how they would cope in a far more competitve enviroment. If womens footy had the same professional structure over the same amount of time that the mens had thiers, ie World Cup, European and other leagues, Continental Championships etc etc, I wonder what sort of skill level they would possess today.

Hypothetically: surely if women had been playing regulary in mens leagues/competitions for years the gap would'nt be so wide. Interesting to think about I suppose...

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2001, 01:41:41 pm »
Oo.

Very "new man" of you there, Kiwi!! ;D ;D

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2001, 05:50:50 pm »
I ain't a new age, 90's sensative male hippie, just trying to please the ladies on this forum ;) ;D and a just a good ole Kiwi bloke ;)

Offline kopite29

• Main Stander
  • Euro Glory Days
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2001, 05:57:27 pm »
;D
I have actually seen the liverpool ladies team play on a few occassions and believe me they are a joke.
the ball skills they posess look good compared to the other ladies that are on the pitch at that time.
They just haven't got what it rquires to be a good footballer i.e. balls

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2001, 06:03:44 pm »
Not everybody is perfect ;D
I actually got the inspiration for this thread watching the local lasses play at the local reserve. One of these participants back-heeled a through ball that got executed well enough to do justice to the pass. Brilliant stuff...

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2001, 06:13:34 pm »
It just seems like every time I watch the top teams (Fulham and Arsenal is it), it's like watching the local boozer's sunday league team!

I'm not being sexist. Just what I've seen.

They're good at hockey and netball though  ;) ;D