Author Topic: The wise words of David Moyes  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
The wise words of David Moyes
« on: December 7, 2007, 03:30:28 pm »
“There is a bit of me that wants to tell people in Europe that they should not forget that Everton were champions of England, and but for the Heysel disaster they have been denied a chance to have a long run in Europe,” he said.
“People forget that and don’t understand what happened. Everton were unfortunate but I accept it was a tragedy that made football unimportant.
“What happened after Heysel changed lots of careers. Players and managers.
“Since then we have been watching from the outside and the club was denied the chance to grow and benefit from the money in European competition.”

For a start – there is a lot of you David that wants to tell the world just how hard done by Everton were following the ban in 85. I am honest enough to admit that the Liverpool team of 84/85 were not the best team to grace a final anyway. Souness was approaching the end of his career (at the top anyway) as was Sammy Lee. An ageing Phil Neal was vulnerable at the back along with a raw looking Jim Beglin and it is doubtful neither Paul Walsh or John Wark would have provided Rushie with the partnership to shoot down a mean looking Juventus defence.
But what happened unfortunately happened and we have had years of ‘afters’ from bitter Evertonians and an unable-to-forgive Michael Platini ever since. That’s fine – we as club have to live with that. If the shoe was on the other foot we may well feel the same towards Everton. But don’t try bull-shitting me that the Everton side of 84-85 were just about to go on and conquer Europe because just as there is now a huge difference in winning the UEFA cup and the Champions League there was just as big a gap back then between winning the Cup Winners Cup and the European Cup.
True – all the top 6 clubs at that time; Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham etc etc were denied the chance to grace Europe for 5 or 6 years. We were lucky that we lured great British talent such as Houghton, Beardsley and Barnes to our club rather than them been attracted by European football abroad. Football was poor to watch in the 1st Division from about 83-84 through to 87 when only then the players such as these (as well as Gascoinge & Waddle) brought a flair to the top tier of english football.
Who says, apart from you, Mr Moyes that Everton would have had a long run in Europe? About as long as the run in 2005-6 I would have imagined more likely.  ;)

Yes, Heysel did change a lot of players careers. People like Lineker, Rush, Hughes, Hoddle etc chose to go abroad and broaden their skills before coming back as better players. If Everton failed to buy or nurture British talent during this time then that is their look out – we were all in the same boat.

What money in European competetion? I know that the last 10 years or so has seen it become lucrative but back in 1986? I’m diving in here without any facts so I may stand corrected but how much money did it earn to make the European Cup back then? Or is he implying that they would have either won the cup or finished top of the league every season from 86 to 96 so therefore been there right at the top when the big bucks appeared?

Heysel made little difference to the progression of our top clubs. The Premier League did – it improved our club sides and gave us chance to compare our homegrown talent with those from abroad who came to experience it. Everton were in favour of everything the birth of the Premier League stood for. They placed their bets as did we and in fact we as a club have had to fight nail and tooth to justify our inlcusion as a top club in recent years. Everton have fought and failed (bar that freaky season of 2004-5).

Keep watching from the outside, Kirkby to be exact.

:wanker
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The wise words of David Moyes
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2007, 03:56:09 pm »
I wish they would just fuck off and not even Kirkby, move the fuckers to St Helens, Wales, Wigan anywhere but fuckin here the horrible fuckin twats, I hate the c*nts.

Always harping on about Heysel.

whats the fuckin excuse as to why they havent won the prem, the FA Cup or Carling cup hey bog eyed wooden toothed gobshite? Youve had 6 years and won fuck all.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline #20Masch

• Main Stander
  • He's a monster.
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2007, 04:07:10 pm »
“There is a bit of me that wants to tell people in Europe that they should not forget that Everton were champions of England, and but for the Heysel disaster they have been denied a chance to have a long run in Europe,” he said.
“People forget that and don’t understand what happened. Everton were unfortunate but I accept it was a tragedy that made football unimportant.
“Since then we have been watching from the outside and the club was denied the chance to grow and benefit from the money in European competition.”

For a start – there is a lot of you David that wants to tell the world just how hard done by Everton were following the ban in 85. I am honest enough to admit that the Liverpool team of 84/85 were not the best team to grace a final anyway. Souness was approaching the end of his career (at the top anyway) as was Sammy Lee. An ageing Phil Neal was vulnerable at the back along with a raw looking Jim Beglin and it is doubtful neither Paul Walsh or John Wark would have provided Rushie with the partnership to shoot down a mean looking Juventus defence.
But what happened unfortunately happened and we have had years of ‘afters’ from bitter Evertonians and an unable-to-forgive Michael Platini ever since. That’s fine – we as club have to live with that. If the shoe was on the other foot we may well feel the same towards Everton. But don’t try bull-shitting me that the Everton side of 84-85 were just about to go on and conquer Europe because just as there is now a huge difference in winning the UEFA cup and the Champions League there was just as big a gap back then between winning the Cup Winners Cup and the European Cup.
True – all the top 6 clubs at that time; Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham etc etc were denied the chance to grace Europe for 5 or 6 years. We were lucky that we lured great British talent such as Houghton, Beardsley and Barnes to our club rather than them been attracted by European football abroad. Football was poor to watch in the 1st Division from about 83-84 through to 87 when only then the players such as these (as well as Gascoinge & Waddle) brought a flair to the top tier of english football.
Who says, apart from you, Mr Moyes that Everton would have had a long run in Europe? About as long as the run in 2005-6 I would have imagined more likely.  ;)

Yes, Heysel did change a lot of players careers. People like Lineker, Rush, Hughes, Hoddle etc chose to go abroad and broaden their skills before coming back as better players. If Everton failed to buy or nurture British talent during this time then that is their look out – we were all in the same boat.

What money in European competetion? I know that the last 10 years or so has seen it become lucrative but back in 1986? I’m diving in here without any facts so I may stand corrected but how much money did it earn to make the European Cup back then? Or is he implying that they would have either won the cup or finished top of the league every season from 86 to 96 so therefore been there right at the top when the big bucks appeared?

Heysel made little difference to the progression of our top clubs. The Premier League did – it improved our club sides and gave us chance to compare our homegrown talent with those from abroad who came to experience it. Everton were in favour of everything the birth of the Premier League stood for. They placed their bets as did we and in fact we as a club have had to fight nail and tooth to justify our inlcusion as a top club in recent years. Everton have fought and failed (bar that freaky season of 2004-5).

Small time bitter pricks.... I say it to my mates and they say I am the bitter one! Wouldn't mind, only mention the tossers when THEY bring up such events.
They say our days are numbered we're not famous anymore....

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2007, 04:38:43 pm »

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2007, 04:46:19 pm »
I actually had a conversation with a blue nose mate about this and instead of laughing at him I pretended to agree with him. I suggest everybody else do the same, as it really throws them and makes them even more bitter, if that's possible.  ;D

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2007, 05:05:41 pm »
Now I have been warned about referring to it/them (I refuse to address them with a name) as vermin by a member of the admin team. I have abided by that justified request. But when shite like this and the 39 Italians banner people have to wonder why I have referred to them as that. Checking the dictionary definition of the word provides me with justification IMO (unwanted [whining] pests).

FUCK OFF TO KIRKBY, OR BETTER STILL, JUST FUCK OFF AND CRAWL BACK INTO THE SEWERS WHERE YOU BELONG YOU HORRIBLE FUCKIN TWATS!

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!

Offline Mikeebee

• Legacy Fan
  • You've won a Blankety Blank Cheque Book & Pen
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2007, 01:50:39 am »
I wish they would just fuck off and not even Kirkby, move the fuckers to St Helens, Wales, Wigan anywhere but fuckin here the horrible fuckin twats, I hate the c*nts.

They can stay the fuck out of Wales, thank you very much, how about the Isle of Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqGcWU7IzU
JFT 96 YNWA
@mikeebee7

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2007, 08:21:46 am »
for those who only seem to want to put the boot into Everton all the time....think on lads.

if the boot were on the other foot and Everton were top dogs you guys would be every bit as bitter as they are and don't try to deny it.

why can't we just enjoy our own success and let them wallow in their own self-pity without the constant need for criticism?

also, pride comes before a fall and all that....we don't have a divine right to success and if this "American experiment" doesn't pan out we could be in some difficulty and then our neighbour's "small-time" conservatism may look quite clever..

only saying....it COULD happen so why not just be the "bigger man" now and be nice, eh?
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2007, 08:35:39 am »
It amazes me how other clubs dealt with that blow but everton are the only club that have to bring it up every conversation.

Nan: Do you want a brew, love

Evertonian Grandson: ifitwasntferheysel then yeah, I would. What you don't understand nan is that we got kick out of europe and food and drink just hasn't tasted the same since. I just wanted to remind you of that nan, we were once top of the league ya know.

And two sugars please.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2007, 08:38:28 am »
Another gem:

Barry Horne in today's Post

While Old Trafford is a stunning stadium, it’s atmosphere is sterile because of their fan-base.

Nowhere, compares to Goodison for atmosphere – not even Anfield. ::) :o
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2007, 08:39:23 am »

It can never, ever, be proved, and would be impossible to assess correctly...but...it would be very interesting to look at the tables from the late 80's and the following 5 years, and compare to the leagues of recent years.  It'd be interesting to see where certain teams would be without the Premier League, and the money it has gained and lost for teams over the years...

Forest?
Chelsea?
United?
Us?
Everton?
Leeds?
Crystal Palace?
Wimbledon?
Fulham?

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2007, 04:23:38 pm »
small club and small managers with small mind and ginger hair
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2007, 04:37:15 pm »
They can stay the fuck out of Wales, thank you very much, how about the Isle of Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqGcWU7IzU
The Isle of man is nothing like that.

The Weather in that video is better for a start. :)

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »

We don't want them in the Isle of Man either.

Deviants  ::)

Offline Durango

• Can see into the future...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2007, 08:49:51 pm »

Always harping on about Heysel.

whats the fuckin excuse as to why they havent won the prem, the FA Cup or Carling cup hey bog eyed wooden toothed gobshite? Youve had 6 years and won fuck all.
Heysel was 23 years ago,Everton where banned for 3 years,what's the excuse for the other 20 years of failure,the couldn't even make the UEFA Cup,never mind the European Cup/Champions League,horrible twats who will blame anything or anyone to suit their arguments to cover their FAILURES!!!!!!!!!!

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »
for those who only seem to want to put the boot into Everton all the time....think on lads.

if the boot were on the other foot and Everton were top dogs you guys would be every bit as bitter as they are and don't try to deny it.

why can't we just enjoy our own success and let them wallow in their own self-pity without the constant need for criticism?

also, pride comes before a fall and all that....we don't have a divine right to success and if this "American experiment" doesn't pan out we could be in some difficulty and then our neighbour's "small-time" conservatism may look quite clever..

only saying....it COULD happen so why not just be the "bigger man" now and be nice, eh?
I hope you are taking the piss and being sarcastic.If not fuck off ya nugget.
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline albertared

• Left England in 1990 - probably chased by a mob.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 9, 2007, 02:47:31 am »
I hope you are taking the piss and being sarcastic.If not fuck off ya nugget.

and a merry christmas to you too.

why just attack me like that?

if you don't agree with what i said by all means let me know YOUR views. otherwise, why post at all?

all you have achieved is to create the impression that you are an aggressive person with very little of value to contribute. surely that is not true, is it?

so, enlighten me as to your views, eh?
« Last Edit: December 9, 2007, 02:53:29 am by albertared »
Left England 1990...still on our perch...I think I'd better come back because it's all gone haywire since!

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2007, 03:59:37 am »
My view is that their manager should SHUT the fuck up until he starts winning things,,his attitude since we beat them at Goodison has been grade A c*nt,I dont expect much less from them anyway, once a Blue always a Bitter.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2007, 06:12:29 am »
in all seriousness this c*nt is doing his best to fuel an already strained relationship. obviously it is beyond and won't return to how it was but there is so much animosity now and bollocks like this from a public figure to an impressionable crowd (they must be to believe hes a messiah/they're the peoples club; take your pick) is fucking ill advised. c*nt

Offline Durango

• Can see into the future...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2007, 10:51:04 am »
in all seriousness this c*nt is doing his best to fuel an already strained relationship. obviously it is beyond and won't return to how it was but there is so much animosity now and bollocks like this from a public figure to an impressionable crowd (they must be to believe hes a messiah/they're the peoples club; take your pick) is fucking ill advised. c*nt
Moyes is starting to believe his own Press,he's going to have a nasty fall soon,watch this space!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2007, 11:38:55 am »
It's disappointing that Moyes keeps dragging up a past that he wasn't even there for.

He really should know better.

If he's doing it just to rile people - then that probably makes it worse. He needs to take a good look at himself and his responsibilities as a manager in Merseyside.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2007, 11:42:57 am »
It's disappointing that Moyes keeps dragging up a past that he wasn't even there for.

If he's doing it just to rile people - then that probably makes it worse. He needs to take a good look at himself and his responsibilities as a manager in Merseyside.

He's doing it to make him look even better to his own fans. Simple as.

And to the comment further up about Barry Horne, haven't read yesterdays sport from the echo, but he's funny as fuck due to being very very deluded and about as anti Liverpool as Andy 'up his own arse' Gray.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2007, 05:44:25 pm »

It's pure hypocrisy from that ginger twat, you're correct in saying he should consider his responsibilities as a manager in Merseyside.  he came to the city, declared this struggling club of his as "the peoples club" and has been trying to gain recognition in the press ever since of the back of Liverpool Football Club.  Rafa only ever speaks of this "small club" when we play them and he has to, but it seems that every time that weird looking ginger c*nt gets a microphone in his ugly fucking face he has to make a derogatory, factually incorrect, inflammatory remark about our great club. 
If Shankly said, "I was made for Liverpool and Liverpool we made for me" then poor, bitter David was made for everton, a bitter, small minded man for a small, bitter club.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2007, 07:05:45 pm »
wouldnt you be a bitter c*nt if you thought you had  more fans than  your city rivals but managed an incredible 8000 empty seats when by  your own pittifully low standards  you were having a great season, fuk knows how low there gates  will go if they went mid table....

more fans than us?  lmfao

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 9, 2007, 07:46:44 pm »
I work with a load of BITTERS who still have a go about Heysel fuck do they get on my nerves
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 01:07:21 am »
So, David.

By taking on the mantle of Everton Manager, the bitterness seems to of rubbed off onto you.

You may want to get a sly dig in at every opportunity regarding English clubs being banned from European Competition for a number of years in the late 80s, but lets stack up the evidence shall we.

David Moyes career details:

1983-85      Cambridge United.
1985-87      Bristol  City.
1987-90      Shrewsbury Town.
1990-93      Dunfermline Athletic.
1993           Hamilton Academicals
1993-98      Preston North End.

Thats right David, the above mentioned 'European Giants' missed out on untold European trophy's throughout the late 80s and knock on effect into the early 90s didn't they.

The European ban did untold damage to your career.

It has absolutely nothing to do with cliched soundbites to the ever bitter, festering masses that hang off your every word.

If most of the other clubs got on with the ban, and after it was lifted, then why do Everton think that 'they' were so hard done by.

20 years of missmanagement at boardroom level and below did a fine job of letting a once great club rot to it's core.

It's only in the last couple of years that you have put distance between EFC and the annual trap door dodge.

Me suggests that you consentrate on managing your team and less time with your gob open, or one of these days you might just get your foot stuck in your throat.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 01:10:48 am by Big Red Richie »