Author Topic: Capturing the Prem...  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Cardie

• Has severe hair-trigger and adores Aberdare
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Capturing the Prem...
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2001, 06:21:51 pm »
It's like pissing in to the wind trying to get anything through to him.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Pheeny

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2001, 06:23:14 pm »
I did'nt hear you sing that song on Thursday Chester-boy

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2001, 06:35:53 pm »
Yeah, could'nt wait for the forth coming season. I posted it in a state of optimism. It's good to be a Red. Sky might be around the corner, hopefully. It was more about feeling confidant and sweet about the state of Liverpool FC. Good to be hooked up to a beaut site with other Reds, discuss the all pros of the Mighty Reds, footy and the like. Somebody puts in a downer. Mate, I just can't understand the pessimism of some people...

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2001, 12:51:19 am »
I just had a look in the UEFA Cup match program. Most recent career for GH, except LFC;

Assistant to National Team Mangager Michel Platini (1988-1992)
Technical Director of French Football Federation (1990-1998)

Head coach of French National Team (1992-94) and French

Under-18 and Under-20 National Teams (1996-97)

French Champion 1986, European Under-18 Champion 1996.
Add 3 more to that... ;)

So, he was involved with France since 1988 and prepared the ground for the recent French success. It's true GH is not God.

He's the Manager of God... ;D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2001, 12:57:53 am »
Cheers buddy. Knew it was summat like that!!

Offline misho

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2001, 12:42:48 pm »
You can read but it seems you can't understand. What you posted about GH was exactly what I told you.
He was a clerk, on a very high level as a technical director but still a clerk. And there were probably 1 000 clerck in their federation. They are all involved, right? They are World Champs, managers of God! From the guards behind the building to the secretary.

Are you old enough to remember 1992? France and England in the same group and Denmark and Sweden going to the semi-finals? Well done, Platini and GH! Platini was smart enough to understand that he's not a good manager and became a businessman in football. GH is still trying, unfortunately.

We are going for second place in the League! Congratulations! If we are going each year one point closer to Man U (improve, improve, improve!) then after 12 years we will be the Champs!

Long live, GH! All the true fans will be dead with such a pace of improvement! English is hard to learn but probably football management is something even more complicated.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2001, 07:15:04 pm »
Dear Misho

Go find your clerks.  Don't waste your time in convincing this particular fan anymore.  I sure won't waste mine to convince you.  ::)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2001, 12:05:48 am »
1992? Yes, misho, I'm old enough to remember. From that weak group 1992, Denmark went to win the title... I also happen to remember that the French team actually did fairly well during the qualifications for the World Cup 1994. True, they didn't qualify. But as it turned out, both Sweden and Bulgaria (remember?) got to the semis in the USA. They were not really crap teams... But OK, let's continue;

Having won the French Championship, been the manager and the assistant manager of the national team... what kind of position would you think GH would get? "A clerk on a very high level"???? There would not be 1000 of them, then it's not a very high level. Very few would have his background, his expertise. He would be up there, pulling the strings (together with a few others) even by your own standards; "clerk on a very high level".

Now, suddenly, after the youth system was put in place, France becomes the World and European Champions. Coincidence? The youth system worked and GH was there to get it to work, pulling the strings. Suddenly, under GH, France wins the European Under-18 Championship. (There is that name Houllier again...) LFC goes from winning close to nothing for 10 years, to winning the UEFA Cup + 2 domestic cup titles. Again this name Houllier appears...  8)

You don't have to love GH, misho. But what does he have to do to make you happy? He has guided the team to success we have not had for a decade, after only 2 full years in charge. That must count for something! Or, did I get it wrong? Perhaps this game is not about winning trophies anymore?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2001, 02:52:35 am »
Leave it Millsee! He's not worth it.....He! He! He!

:DCan anyone tell me how you import a picture like that onto your profile?...I'm abit old and thick!

TIA!

Offline misho

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2001, 01:43:43 pm »
Gnurglan,
You mean that Bartez, Blan, Desaily, Thuram, Lizarazu, Lebeofe, Zidane, Didier Desham, Angloma, Dugarry, Pettit... they are the products of GH's youth policy???
(sorry for the wrong spelling of some of the names)
Anelka grew up as a player under Wenger, right? The same with Henry & Viera.

Yes, football is about winning trophies. And I'm worried about winning the title this year.

Offline Andy M

• Kopite
  • I used to be Maudster
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2001, 02:06:40 pm »
Bloody hell 12 years and we win the Championship I'll have that. The fact of the matter is I have not seen Liverpool fans so confident and happy in there team for more than 10 years. It has nothing to do with the treble it is to do with the fact we have killed off some old demons such as our previous failure to beat Manure even once in a season. We were after all also rans under Evans and were never even considered to be title challengers. As for Houllier and his management inaptitude lets have a look at this closely. Apart from the 3 trophies which have been put down to luck ( and are lets face it a complete surprise and anyone who can tell me they expected any more than possible Champs league qualification is either a liar or has at some point travelled to the future)Le Boss has developed what has now consistently been one of the best defences in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons bring in previously unheard of players such as Sami to the foreground of european football. He has taken players such as Murphy Gerrard Heskey Owen Carragher Barmby Henshoz and others and has molded them into better players this is not open to arguement it is fact. This is why Liverpool has more players in the england squad than ever before. liverpool has a massive squad of players who are all in major international teams. In 2 seasons he has taken us to 4th and 3rd in successive seasons. it is not possible to do this if you have no managerial skills the premiership is one of the strongest and toughest leagues in the world and bad managers do not survive it (Kidd/Blackburn,Huillet/Newcastle)
When Gerard took over he took over a squad which had many geniouses and many flaws he has since attempted and still is weeding out any bad seeds that appear. His job was not easy or painless since many such as Ince had imbeded themselves as key members and some it took years to get rid of because no-one wanted them(Babb+ others).
if anything is more informative of Gerards success it is the fact that within our squad of players there is probably no-one who wouldn't be snatched out of our hands before you could even say he's available.
Libpool,Libpool!

Offline misho

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2001, 02:10:41 pm »
Gnurglan,
You mean that Bartez, Blan, Desaily, Thuram, Lizarazu, Lebeofe, Zidane, Didier Desham, Angloma, Dugarry, Pettit... they are the products of GH's youth policy???
(sorry for the wrong spelling of some of the names)
Anelka grew up as a player under Wenger, right? The same with Henry & Viera.

Yes, football is about winning trophies. And I'm worried about winning the title this year.

Offline DaveGrooverider

• Kemlynite
  • I love tinfoil European Cups
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2001, 02:44:23 pm »
Very interesting, fellas. Just who is this Houllier bloke anyway? We've been having this discussion since he arrived.
What I see now at Liverpool is a group of players who can at times create the most breathtaking football Ive seen since Barnes/Beardsley/Aldridge, and are well-equipped to win a league title. What Liverpool have lacked in recent years has been a bond together as a team, and more importantly, confidence that they can win games and trophies. When was the last time you heard a Liverpool team being described as a never-say-die team??
We've had the lucky thing hung round our necks, and quite frankly I love it. I saw that we were getting lucky far before the press caught on and, in my opinion, this is the sign of a good team. We all called United lucky, when really we were very jealous of their team (not the club and the evil heart of it!). And you could point to times in United's recent history when luck has played a part, but you have to still be in there fighting at the end to take advantage of these 'lucky' situations.

I just think that the belief is there even more now, because theyve won things, no matter how people said they did it, they did it. You make your own luck (CLICHE ALERT!) in this game. And add confidence to the class that so many of our players have, and you have a winning team. Sure, we may not beat United to the title this year, but we can at least make a fight of it. If we're beaten by a higher class of football, then so-be-it, I wont complain. But as long as we're there when it matters and never let our now-high standards drop, I won't be complaining. We're still a very young side, and Gh seems to want to let these players grow up before he sees the need for any more dramatic changes. Its risk, but it worked for a certain club up the road (not Everton)

And whoever thinks Houllier should be sacked if he doesn't win the league this season (particulary if, as some seem to think, he should be playing upfront and scoring goals himself to prove he knows his football) is, quite frankly talking out of their arse.

And beware anyone calling Liverpool 'massive'  ;)

Offline misho

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2001, 10:08:12 pm »
never-say-die team???
The team should be called never-say-die if the players used to win from behind too many times, right? As we did against Arsenal in FA Cup Final.
Do you know how many victories like this we had last season?

As an expert you should be aware with the stats, mate!
Go to www.cnnsi.com and check up!

Probably it was not very polite to say that I'm talking out of my arse. It's OK if you are under-18. There is still a chance for you to become a human being.
Over 18 - sad for you, all the hope is lost and gone!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2001, 10:16:39 pm »
misho, GH (and a few others) started the youth system that produced the likes of ZZ and Vieira. I'm not saying he has trained every single player every day of their careers. Not at all. Other managers have done a fine job, no doubt.

What I was trying to say was that the youth system has produced a LOT of talent. Some of the produced talent was in the World and European Cup winning teams. And here it comes; GH was there to point out the direction for that, successful, youth system! Who would do such a job? Who would be trusted to do that? Hou...

In 1996 the French Under-18 team won the EC. Houllier in charge. The success of the youth system continues... I think he must have done somthing right.

I'm not quite sure, but I think there was also talk about giving him a medal for his contributions to the WC winning team.

He has failed, but so has every successful manager. GH is not God.

He is the Manager of God!  ;)

Offline DaveGrooverider

• Kemlynite
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2001, 11:08:58 pm »
Its nice to know you realised I was talking about you Misho ;).

Oh dear, all the hope seems to be lost and gone. Best give up now.

All I'm trying to say is that the players now know that if they hang in there, keep playing football the way they know how (very well, before you start) then it will come. It is THIS belief that is instilled in all great teams (but I'm not saying we are great yet, but we certainly arent going backwards).

Going back to your original post, you say Gerrard isnt ready yet to be the star of our midfield. You really should start listening to what they say on the SKY TV you watch, they know a thing or two about hyping great players.

And at the start of last season, if you'd said we'd win a trophy, qualify for the Champions League, lose in the FA Cup final and go out after a fight against the champions of Italy, I'd have been quite happy, because you dont get into these positions by not playing well.

What exactly do you want?
How do you want Liverpool to play?, because at the moment we score goals, attack at speed, pass the ball at times beautifully, and unlike Keegan's Newcastle, we get results as well. There's always things to improve, but if we were brilliant all the time it might get a bit boring mighten it? :P

Offline misho

• Kemlynite
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2001, 11:47:56 pm »
Gnurlgan, I had a question that you didn't answer. How many of France first 11 were the product of GH's youth policy?
Don't say "produced the likes of ZZ and Vieira".
There was a question and the answer shows you're not right. No need to argue anymore.

Did you check the stats, DaveGrooverider? Easy to find and read, could be much more difficult to understand but you can do it!

Offline DaveGrooverider

• Kemlynite
« Reply #57 on: August 1, 2001, 12:35:20 am »
I know that was the first time we'd done that. What I'm trying to say is that the results of last season and the experience of winning trophies (however we played, they can look at their medals with pride), and particularly the homecoming, which brought them closer to the fans surely, can only help them this season. They know they can play their game right up to the final whistle, and that other teams now class them as a team to fear in the last ten minutes. Ive spent far too many last ten minutes of games v Man.Utd. biting my nails because I KNOW theyre going to put pressure on us. The thing is that last season, particularly against United, we held our own in these situations (Alaves apart, but I'm not saying we are at that stage as we are)
I'll repeat the question, how do you want Liverpool to play, or are you obsessed with having big names at the club however they may play (that Ziege bloke was a big name, and that Hyypia fella?, well whats that about?) 8)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 1, 2001, 02:16:28 am »
For misho,
http://football.guardian.co.uk/UEFA_Cup/Story/0,5764,491705,00.html

"Houllier set up the widely envied national scheme for developing young players in his own country, and coached France - Henry, Anelka, Trézéguet and all - to victory in the European Under-18 championship in 1996..."

Perhaps you want to add a few more players to that? Zidane? Vieira?

Offline Andy M

• Kopite
  • I used to be Maudster
« Reply #59 on: August 1, 2001, 01:25:38 pm »
Misho you really are missing the point though. Forget what he has done for France since in this arguement it is largely un-important. Apart from the fact that what one achieves at international level can usually be increased tenfold in domestic. For example Keegan, Wilkinson, Hoddle, Graham Taylor have all achieved great things in the domestic game but have failed at International level.

The most important question is does the team as it is now look better than that in 1997/1998?

I think very few would say with the exception perhaps of Macca (Stevie) that we would have any of those players over the ones now. We were a one tactic team. The defense and midfield would pass the  ball to Macca who would try and go down the wing and then pass to Robbie. We were soon found out and many teams learn't to stop us purely by stopping Macca.

We now as a team have far many more strings to our bow and this is why we are having more success. Ged is the one who has molded the team from what it was to what it is and must be given credit for this. To say the team was in place before he got there is ludicrous because it wasn't.

Libpool,Libpool!

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #60 on: August 2, 2001, 09:04:42 am »
20 paces and then let fly the stats sites ;)