Author Topic: Bosmans, fees, endorsments, is it all....  (Read 727 times)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bosmans, fees, endorsments, is it all....
« on: August 3, 2001, 10:14:03 pm »
....about the money these days?

(I finally found my muse! And nope, haven't seen Dogma for ages Jeff. I think this is OT...)

So, Sol Campbell has gone from Spurs to Arsenal on a Bosman, Manure have bought 2 players that, combined, cost more than our entire squad, and we, we have bought a guy called Riise for change out of 5 mill.

But is that all football is about these days? A ruthless quest for riches by the greedy? Fergie recieved one million as a result of Uniteds "success" last season, Ryan Giggs could recieve anything up to 2 million for the testimonial against Celtic, £37.50 for an adult and child on the Kop. Is money all that matters?

The answer, it seems, is yes. Look at the broadcast rights for Premiership football, they go to the highest bidder, which is inevitably Sky, who then turn around and say that 40 of the matchs will be PPV! Its just sheer greed. Am I the only one that see's this, or am I just the only one that cares?

Mind you if this continues then we may soon find ourselves facing tickets at 40 quid a piece, then you'll care.

In all honesty is one man really worth 40 million? If a man who plays a game can be worth such an amount then what is the value of a friend, an enemy, the person that saves your life?

Okay, so putting a price on life is debateable. You could say that its okay, take a reward as an example:
For information leading to the capture of:

JEFF_SHEPPARD (aka Loki, Jez_Loki, Jefferson_Loki, Miller!!, Jester!! and Juniper_Bushes, amoungst other names.)

For crimes against MUPPETS

Reward offered: 50 pounds

You could say that the reward for the information leading to the capture of a murderer is well earned. But if we were such a decent society then we shouldn't need money as a motivation in the first place, which finally gets me to my point.

As we all know, GH got a hefty sum of spending money as a result of last seasons success. But the question begs to be asked, if the money wasn't offered, would we still have done so well?

Ideally I want the answer to be yes. Tha way we can say that the team did it for the fans, for the manager, for themselves, for next-doors parrot, whoever. Just not for the money.

But that niggling thought at the back of my mind says "hang on a bloody minute, don't be so fucking sure. What if the money was the major factor and everything else came a nice neat second?" And as the man said, "if you are first you are first, if you are second you are nothing."

As football is my religion I need to question my faith. Please Fowler. tell me the faith I have installed into the "for the fans" philosphy still rings true and that it hasn't simply become "for the fans' money?"

Amen.

(I'm still waiting for that answer Rob...)
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »