Author Topic: ITV - the devil's tool?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
ITV - the devil's tool?
« on: August 2, 2001, 06:26:48 pm »
This is a Guarian Unlimited article looking at the new ITV proposals. Part of me is excited, part of me worried. The time of 7pm is good if I'm not going to Anfield or an away game, crap if I am (but then an even longer show will be on later that evening).

But McCoist instead of Hansen? Both are Scots, but the former is a cheeky-chappie who has yet to say anything interesting about footie, the later just the best pundit around. Even Gary Lineker started to seem better than the doddery Des Lynam of ITV incarnation.

Incidentally, the first game to be featured is LFC vs West Ham. Funny, Liverpool 2 Arsenal 0 (with the hooked Roger Hunt goal that still gets shown) in 1964 was the first Match of the Day.

"Goals, gadgets, and gluttony"

ITV's new Premiership package will mean something Paul MacInnes thought could never happen: too much football on TV

Thursday August 2, 2001

When ITV launch their coverage of the Premiership in a fortnight's time, I won't enjoy it. Partly due to a long-nurtured dislike of adverts, partly because I can't stand Ally McCoist, and partly due to other, darker reasons that it wouldn't be delicate to explain. But after having cast a disdainful eye over what Brian Barwick and co have in store for the terrestrial football fan this upcoming season, I've got a feeling I won't be alone.

"We want our football to be a family affair," says Barwick, ITV's controller of sport. "Football is at the heart of the nation, ITV have put it into the heart of the schedule." Nice words from a man whose channel claims to provide TV from "the heart of life". But what Barwick actually means is that next season, as well as the traditional pub-enhanced highlights package, ITV are to introduce a new show at 7pm too.

Imaginatively entitled The Premiership, this show will look to pull bigger ratings than Match Of The Day ever could. But a family experience? Come off it. There'll be goggle-eyed men and boys all right, heck even some girls too, but there will also be a substantial proportion of mothers who will have their Saturday night interfered with (if it's a 90-minute show then it won't finish until 8.30pm, ruling out an early showing at the cinema), Dishy Des or no.
Then there's the actual content. The Premiership and its late-night counterpart will be packed with ads, sorry, gadgets, designed to take the analysis of the action to even greater depths. There's Prozone, which charts every moment of every player on the field, and presumable produces a handy equation at the end of it. Then there's the Tactics Truck, packed with old pros watching the game through a "super wide-angled analysis camera" - just in case the umpteen cameras already stationed around the ground missed anything.

And there's the Premiership Parliament. An extra Monday night bonus, the Parliament will feature 20 pre-selected supporters (one for each Premiership club) who will be given valuable airtime to mouth off about their team. This is probably an attempt to mimic football phone-ins which are the staple of radio stations everywhere, but with the added treat of being able to watch people slag off Manchester United as they do it.

The word, I believe, is overkill. What's more, you can bet your lowest common denominator that Sky, the home of sporting excess, will also have a million new shows, gadgets and pundits with which to thrill us every single night of every week. With the season morphing seamlessly into the World Cup next summer, there will be no break from football for nigh-on two years. I'm petrified - and I love watching football. God help those who don't.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: ITV - the devil's tool?
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2001, 03:36:22 am »
Interesting!!

I thought it was a pretty good idea until now......

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2001, 07:19:23 pm »
It's just that ITV are crap compared to BBC, aren't they? BBC seem to love football, ITV have Gabby Yorath and Barry Venison - Venison is all TV-speak and yet has no personality; Mcoist is ALL personality. Hansen does the same thing and yet I could listen to Jockey all night long talking about the offside trap.

Still, once we have the baby and I can't go to games for a while (say, a week or two!!), those 7pm showings will be great...

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2001, 08:24:18 pm »
I hate ITV all that 'The Big match live with Des and Ron' crap. make sme cringe at the thought of it.
ITV's tacky and shite, it won't be half as good as MOTD  but i'll still watch it when we're on.....
better thab Blind Date i suppose.  :(

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Dennis the Menace

« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2001, 08:47:48 pm »
Hi Curly.

Have you seen Pie-Face and Gnasher around lately?
They seem to have gone walkabouts.

Your mate,
Dennis.

Offline DI_Don_Beech

• Boys Pen
  • C'mon then!!! You want some!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2001, 09:29:30 pm »
I must agree BBC is better but I'd rather put up with ITV's coverage and have the programme on at 7 rather than having to wait till 10:30
"It couldn't get any more exciting if Elvis walked in and asked for a bag of chips" - Sid Waddell. Sky Sports Darts Commentator.

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2001, 12:10:03 am »
Give me BBC anyday here in Belgium we get Aunty Beeb on cable,but not ITV :(

Offline Wi5K

• Main Stander
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys
    • Association of Liverpool Supporters in the Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2001, 03:49:18 pm »
Pheeny - I am mourning the loss of Match of the Day too because there is no ITV in Holland either.

However, I'm not totally sure, but I think Canal+ will start showing a Premiership round-up program at 18.00 every Saturday. In their tv guide there is a two hour slot for live English matches, followed by an hour show of "hoogtepunten" which I guess would be extended highlights from all the matches played that day.

Thing is, I can't see how they can figure out the highlights when the matches are only just finished. The video editors will have to work very quickly to find the best bits from nine matches. Or else there will be a lot of talking and just the goals of each match.