Author Topic: Play Lucas??  (Read 133460 times)

Offline Hames

• Main Stander
  • we can rejoice for we have seen god
Re: Play Lucas??
« Reply #1280 on: May 5, 2008, 04:40:38 pm »
lol ^^
oh sami sami!!sami sami sami sami hyypia!!!

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1281 on: May 5, 2008, 04:55:21 pm »
A good season considering he's young and it was his first season. But if you compare him with the top midfielders he doesn't look to have anything special going for him to be honest. That could change over the next couple of years, though but I'm not gonna get carried away. I started going to watch the Reds in the late 60's so as you can imagine I've heard a lot of false hype, most of it coming over the last 10 years, so please forgive me if I sound pessimistic.
It just seems that we have got in the habit of saying, he's only young but he's gonna be a big star, about players like Lucas, Babel, etc. I'm not convinced that any of them are going to turn out to be the real class players we need to make the difference that is required to make us turn over the top 3, but I could well be wrong. Only time will tell.

Offline Barnes & Beardsley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1282 on: May 5, 2008, 04:56:11 pm »
He’s had a decent season and seems to be progressing well. I would have liked to see him start a few more games considering Alonso’s long injury and Sissoko leaving in Jan. He has only started 13 and made 10 sub appearances (PL and UCL). I agree with the view that he is best in Alonso’s position as he puts his own spin on the role and I’m glad Rafa has confidence in his ability.

I will be concerned about his development if we decide to bring in another centre-mid as this will give him fewer opportunities and I don’t think he will be playing in Gerrard’s position. I make comparisons to Fabregas who was given a chance at a young age and developed to be one of the best in the league. The only way we will see the very best from him is by giving him more games next season to build up his experience and progress.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #1283 on: May 5, 2008, 05:00:50 pm »
He had 31 appearances this season( from off site article).

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: May 5, 2008, 05:01:49 pm »
A good season considering he's young and it was his first season. But if you compare him with the top midfielders he doesn't look to have anything special going for him to be honest. That could change over the next couple of years, though but I'm not gonna get carried away. I started going to watch the Reds in the late 60's so as you can imagine I've heard a lot of false hype, most of it coming over the last 10 years, so please forgive me if I sound pessimistic.
It just seems that we have got in the habit of saying, he's only young but he's gonna be a big star, about players like Lucas, Babel, etc. I'm not convinced that any of them are going to turn out to be the real class players we need to make the difference that is required to make us turn over the top 3, but I could well be wrong. Only time will tell.

I can see why you are pessimistic. We've been through the 'next Zidane' and Le Tallec and what not under Houllier.

But Lucas specifically has more class I've seen than any other young central midfielder in recent times. I've seen him making passes only players like Xavi or Guti would be able to make. The way he ghosts into the box, the way he is able to move the ball quickly on the counter, his ability to always enter space and his goal against Havant and Waterloo was absolutely class.

Not so sure about Babel, but there are 2 players in our squad, who can/will be one of the best in their positions in a few years - Lucas and Agger.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1285 on: May 5, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »
I can see why you are pessimistic. We've been through the 'next Zidane' and Le Tallec and what not under Houllier.

But Lucas specifically has more class I've seen than any other young central midfielder in recent times. I've seen him making passes only players like Xavi or Guti would be able to make. The way he ghosts into the box, the way he is able to move the ball quickly on the counter, his ability to always enter space and his goal against Havant and Waterloo was absolutely class.

Not so sure about Babel, but there are 2 players in our squad, who can/will be one of the best in their positions in a few years - Lucas and Agger.

Hope you're right mate, I def agree about Agger.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #1286 on: May 5, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
He's been decent. Not lived up to the hype that he came with,. but it's only his first year. Hopfully he'll be better for it next year
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #1287 on: May 5, 2008, 05:07:34 pm »
There is a player there, not sure he's as good as he is being made out to be...yet

Work still to do  :-\

Think Babel is out of our young players the biggest potential threat at the moment, mind you at 11 million he ought to be. Lucas looks about what we paid at this moment in time i.e a 6m midfielder, hoping he turns out better than that otherwise he wont make it
« Last Edit: May 5, 2008, 05:10:19 pm by Rizla »

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: May 5, 2008, 05:18:49 pm »
There is a player there, not sure he's as good as he is being made out to be...yet

Work still to do  :-\

Think Babel is out of our young players the biggest potential threat at the moment, mind you at 11 million he ought to be. Lucas looks about what we paid at this moment in time i.e a 6m midfielder, hoping he turns out better than that otherwise he wont make it

I completely disagree
« Last Edit: May 5, 2008, 05:29:10 pm by abhred »
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #1289 on: May 5, 2008, 05:30:57 pm »
I complete disagree

Been here before with other players in the past too many times to get excited by what he might or might not offer

Personally I feel more hopeful that despite his inconsistency Babel has banged goals in against sides like Arsenal and Chelsea in big games. Lucas, different player, different role but on the other hand has tended to vary between decent and anonymous, not awful but jury still out for me

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #1290 on: May 5, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
Lucas, different player, different role but on the other hand has tended to vary between decent and anonymous, not awful but jury still out for me

He has been quite good in a number of games, Everton away, Inter home and away, Chelsea away in the CC, Newcastle home and away, Fulham away, Blackburn home and Arsenal away etc.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: May 5, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »

More questions marks about Babel for me to be honest. Lucas i think would thrive if he was given more responsibility and trust. Babel needs to be cuddled though i feel.

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: May 5, 2008, 05:49:47 pm »

More questions marks about Babel for me to be honest. Lucas i think would thrive if he was given more responsibility and trust. Babel needs to be cuddled though i feel.

Agree

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: May 5, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »
i think he did ok yesterday
alonso came on and struggled.

tells you citys midfield were no pushovers

btw how many headers did lucas win?
for a small guy he isnt as lightweight as most think imo
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #1294 on: May 5, 2008, 05:53:43 pm »
He and Mascherano are very good in the air for their size.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #1295 on: May 5, 2008, 06:03:27 pm »
No, his locks are very necessary to hide his rather unsightly countenance.

You couldn't be more wrong in my view Gus.   :lickin

I think he will develop into a very good player, if given the chance (by Rafa and the fans) and assuming he stays.  Quite forward thinking, which Masch and Alonso are not naturally.  Definitely needs to get a lot stronger in the challenges though.
Never give up

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: May 5, 2008, 06:03:35 pm »
He and Mascherano are very good in the air for their size.

Yup

And he always look to pass with his headers as well :P

Offline theallseeingeye

• Main Stander
« Reply #1297 on: May 5, 2008, 07:50:25 pm »
it seems the game passes him by. is he the future of liverpool?. apart from the derby i'm still trying to work out, what has he given us.  i.e  meaningful ball, goal or just something that says
"lucas, he's gonna be class"

Offline love the reds

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1298 on: May 5, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »
unconvinced of him so far.
"Overall, they were the better team. Liverpool produced a performance of tackling, hassling and getting about us.... You have to give them credit for that". Slurguson 13/9/2008. (cheers fergie, u twat)

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #1299 on: May 5, 2008, 08:02:31 pm »
^

5 assists in 12 league starts maybe?

Offline love the reds

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1300 on: May 5, 2008, 08:05:17 pm »
i know he's young and all that, but...when i watch (on tv) i get frustrated with him. obviously a lot of people back him and i'm not slagging the lad...i just hope he improves like fabregas did when he had time to develop
"Overall, they were the better team. Liverpool produced a performance of tackling, hassling and getting about us.... You have to give them credit for that". Slurguson 13/9/2008. (cheers fergie, u twat)

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: May 5, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
He's good enough to be a first choice player now....he'll be even better in a couple of years time.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #1302 on: May 5, 2008, 08:15:51 pm »
Really pleased with his progress, is obviously a classy player. I think Rafa needs to find a regular role for him but I think he will develop into an essential player next year.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline tonypaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1303 on: May 5, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »
What I like about Lucas is that most of the time he seems to be in the right place, and he seems to try the right pass.  None of the frustration of Babel (and Gerrard), let alone Kuyt, Pennant or Crouch.  The execution is often there, but obviously he needs to get stronger.  His mind is fast and sound, that is impossible to teach, running and jumping can always be improved...

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1304 on: May 5, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »
Lots of potential.  There was a time when he'd be more-or-less ignored by some of the other players, but they seem to trust him with the ball more now, and read his intentions better.  He's close to Gerrard in my opinion in his ability to see a pass; not quite as reliable yet in the delivery.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline arianaqd

• Main Stander
  • with hop in my heart...
« Reply #1305 on: May 5, 2008, 09:29:59 pm »
Lots of potential.  There was a time when he'd be more-or-less ignored by some of the other players, but they seem to trust him with the ball more now, and read his intentions better.  He's close to Gerrard in my opinion in his ability to see a pass; not quite as reliable yet in the delivery.

pretty much what I am thinking about :)

As for a midfield player, there is much higher standards for good team understanding. If your teammates are not sure how you play, you'll be ignored by others. In some games Lucas featured at his early stage, I saw Stevie moved in midfield and took over the place Lucas should play  :-\ . And there are not only few times Lucas and Masch (or Alonso) were on each other's way  :butt in games. That's all 'coz of lack of good understanding. But building up team bonding needs time. And Lucas has potential. So we should judge him next year or even later...

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: May 5, 2008, 10:08:14 pm »
Gets the ball, gives it to a red shirt, moves into space....repeat for 90 minutes....if we want to play pass and move, he'll be a key part of that in the future.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1307 on: May 5, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »
Lucas "First touch pass" Lieva

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1308 on: May 5, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »
Lucas "First touch pass" Lieva

And there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's one of his strengths. It's something Fabregas is also very good at. His game has a very continental style and the quick release of the ball to a team mate is very effective in creating space in the midfield. It's something I feel his critics don't understand.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1309 on: May 5, 2008, 11:08:38 pm »
And there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's one of his strengths. It's something Fabregas is also very good at. His game has a very continental style and the quick release of the ball to a team mate is very effective in creating space in the midfield. It's something I feel his critics don't understand.

er.. I know. That's why I suggested it be his nickname. It's his best attribute. :)

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1310 on: May 5, 2008, 11:13:04 pm »
er.. I know. That's why I suggested it be his nickname. It's his best attribute. :)

Okie dokie, thought it was a little unlike you. It's just annoying when it seems all the people who slate him for not being Ronaldinho, Rivaldo or whatever have no idea how effective his short passing game can be over the course of 90mins.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: May 5, 2008, 11:17:28 pm »
Lucas needs to be given the freedom to roam forward by Rafa if he is to develop. Otherwise, unless those shackles are released I can't see us getting anything from him. The lad has talent and needs the chance to show it. Thus far he has shown brief glimpses of what he can offer us, but none of the typical Brazilian skills we often associate with anything brazilian.

I hope next season he can show us some fancy footwork and set pieces typical of his countrymen  :)
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1312 on: May 5, 2008, 11:22:45 pm »
It's just annoying when it seems all the people who slate him for not being Ronaldinho, Rivaldo or whatever have no idea how effective his short passing game can be over the course of 90mins.
Thus far he has shown brief glimpses of what he can offer us, but none of the typical Brazilian skills we often associate with anything brazilian.

I hope next season he can show us some fancy footwork and set pieces typical of his countrymen  :)

Not saying you have no idea  :) just found it amusing so soon after my post!

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1313 on: May 5, 2008, 11:24:09 pm »
It was meant for your post  ;D
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #1314 on: May 5, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
Okie dokie, thought it was a little unlike you. It's just annoying when it seems all the people who slate him for not being Ronaldinho, Rivaldo or whatever have no idea how effective his short passing game can be over the course of 90mins.

Just slap em around abit with a photo of

Offline sconehead

• Anny Roader
  • fortune favours the brave
« Reply #1315 on: May 5, 2008, 11:50:27 pm »
He's good enough to be a first choice player now....he'll be even better in a couple of years time.
You'd play him before Mascherano or Alonso?
ye see son, there's US and then there's everybody else

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1316 on: May 5, 2008, 11:53:01 pm »
You'd play him before Mascherano or Alonso?
I think he's good enough to share their load as a back-up midfield player but playing 1 in 3 and coming on in the other 2.

It'll be interesting to see how his game is at the start of next season I'm just hoping that the Olympics don't mess him up at the start of his season.

Offline barbudo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1317 on: May 6, 2008, 03:46:10 am »
I think he's good enough to share their load as a back-up midfield player but playing 1 in 3 and coming on in the other 2.

It'll be interesting to see how his game is at the start of next season I'm just hoping that the Olympics don't mess him up at the start of his season.

Mascherano should be the 4th name on the team sheet at the moment (Gerrard, Torres, Reina, ...), but judging by their contributions over the last few games, Lucas might be edging ahead of Alonso.  One example: the goal against Man City came about because Lucas sprinted across the pitch to harry Michael Ball, who didn't get his clearance over Kuyt's head, who released Torres, .....  I'm not sure that Alonso would have been able to close him down as quickly.
Bethink ye, bethink ye ... that ye might be mistaken! (Oliver Cromwell)

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #1318 on: May 6, 2008, 05:02:16 am »
Gets the ball, gives it to a red shirt, moves into space....repeat for 90 minutes....if we want to play pass and move, he'll be a key part of that in the future.
Agreed.Best short passer in our midfield.

PS:His first pass to open up west ham when he came on as a sub was superb.He got to finish the move but missed the goal.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2008, 05:03:52 am by kopindian »

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #1319 on: May 6, 2008, 05:50:03 am »

Agree. He reminds me of certain michael bollock the way he roam the field and get into spaces and the way he ghosts in the box. You will never see monster or Xabi taking those kind of positions in box.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.