Author Topic: Would you let LFC stop you moving abroad?  (Read 19184 times)

Offline eljay

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Would you let LFC stop you moving abroad?
« Reply #80 on: October 3, 2007, 01:25:16 pm »
Was in 'Shankly's Bar' in Salou, Spain in 2004 and got talking to the owner. He's a scouser who was brought up only a few minutes from me before he later moved to Fazackerley. He started his own building firm before moving out to Spain where he opened Shankly's Bar and runs the official supporter's club in Spain.

He's been a season ticket holder for years and still goes every week from Spain (or did when I spoke to him, probably still does). Said it was cheaper for him to fly from Barcelona to Speke than it used to be to get a cab from Fazackerley to the match!

So, you can still live in Europe and see the reds live regularly if you get organised! Personally, I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and it won't stop me moving abroad in a few years. Stopped going the aways this season because there are too many knobheads who follow us now (a lot of them young scousers unfortunately), and as long as I can get to see most of the games live on the tele I'll be happy in my retirement abroad.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #81 on: October 3, 2007, 01:28:36 pm »
I am currently in the process of planning and saving to go travelling for a year at the end of 2008. Following this i plan on going again for 6 months or so and also plan to move abroad permanently at some point after that as the prospect of moving abroad really appeals to me.

The first thing i think about though when i consider this is "what about the footy?" "what about going the games?" (family was in there too somewhere by the way!) Im not sure how i would cope without going to any games (or going to very few).

I was considering the prospect of moving to either OZ or NZ so travelling back would not really be too viable, not regularly at least, and there are virtually no chances of LFC visiting there.

I don't think this issue alone would stop me going although it has already made me think twice.

Of course, you would still be able to see all the games wherever you are in the world. Still the thought of not being to be able to get there first hand at all really makes you think and watching it on the TV with a load of Ozzies is hardly the same!

Maybe somewhere in europe would be a better option. My girlfriend is half cypriot and has family there...
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #82 on: October 3, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
In all seriousness, I'd say a 2 day old child might take priority over arguing on the internet.

He skipping the match then ;) :P

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #83 on: October 3, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
He skipping the match then ;) :P

In all seriousness though, if he sees this, then congratulations. No experience can measure up to your 1st born :)

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #84 on: October 3, 2007, 01:53:30 pm »
In all seriousness though, if he sees this, then congratulations. No experience can measure up to your 1st born :)

i like your first born
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #85 on: October 3, 2007, 01:55:54 pm »

Offline mikek1984

• Peel 'ed. Property of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT RAT
« Reply #86 on: October 3, 2007, 01:56:17 pm »
when is he next around
I LIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Pheeny

« Reply #87 on: October 3, 2007, 02:06:58 pm »
no

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #88 on: October 3, 2007, 02:12:45 pm »

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 3, 2007, 04:03:32 pm »
I live in Chicago.  A trip to Anfield is right up there with missing family, friends and loved ones.  Sunday Lunch, A pint of Caffreys, match of the day, sunday morning newspapers, northern lasses with big tits, chicken & sweetcorn pizza, & a good curry come a little behind.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline tampared

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: October 3, 2007, 05:15:40 pm »
Brand new poster here so be easy on me. :)
I left in 1995 and had withdrawal symptoms for years. I worked in 3 different countries and if the reds were on TV, it was a NATO operation to get in front of a TV in a pub. I now live in the States and last year I saw every Liverpool game including pre season. This year the only game that wasn't live was the Wigan game, and it was shown later. Todays game is live and on sunday I will be sat on my couch watching the Spurs game. Liverpool have an enormous fan base in the USA and most areas have a supporters club and met ups. I make it to 1 game a year at Anfield when I vist my Da and that is the time I wonder if I should be at home.
The Words every Father Dreads
"Dad can I have a Man U kit?"
If you even think a child of yours would utter these words.......
don't risk it be safe use a condom.
Better safe then sorry!

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #91 on: January 2, 2008, 11:21:45 pm »
I'm thinking of moving to the States in a couple of years also and LFC doesn't even come into my mind if I had to choose out of the two its what's best for me!

Offline dobbouk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2011, 05:12:12 am »
Been away for three months. Todays I've started missing Anfield. I don't know whats set it off, maybe with it being derby week.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2011, 08:58:20 am »
Im moving away the end of next year.Two options Spain or Cyprus though Cyprus looks most likely at present as girlfriends parents live over there and itd be an easier transition.I will miss the banter with my mates on match day down the pub, but for a better quality of life its well worth it.Not as if i cant watch the match live or anything over there.And i wil pop back to visit family and friends so wil catch a match when i go back now and again.Theres no chance i would let it stop me move
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:01:00 am by Roady »
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline biddogg1984

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2011, 10:47:45 am »
I live in Chicago.  A trip to Anfield is right up there with missing family, friends and loved ones.  Sunday Lunch, A pint of Caffreys, match of the day, sunday morning newspapers, northern lasses with big tits, chicken & sweetcorn pizza, & a good curry come a little behind.

I'am in the same boat  :P :P :P :P

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2011, 10:49:48 am »
I couldn't move out of the UK because of the club.

Its great to see the ground every day and then to see inside the ground on match days. Love it, its my second home.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »
Going the game is such a big part of my life I just couldn't move abroad.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »
Was in 'Shankly's Bar' in Salou, Spain in 2004 and got talking to the owner. He's a scouser who was brought up only a few minutes from me before he later moved to Fazackerley. He started his own building firm before moving out to Spain where he opened Shankly's Bar and runs the official supporter's club in Spain.

He's been a season ticket holder for years and still goes every week from Spain (or did when I spoke to him, probably still does). Said it was cheaper for him to fly from Barcelona to Speke than it used to be to get a cab from Fazackerley to the match!

So, you can still live in Europe and see the reds live regularly if you get organised! Personally, I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and it won't stop me moving abroad in a few years. Stopped going the aways this season because there are too many knobheads who follow us now (a lot of them young scousers unfortunately), and as long as I can get to see most of the games live on the tele I'll be happy in my retirement abroad.

decent bar that, pretty small place.didnt know where it was and was watching the match in some random pub over there.Next minute i heard YNWA being pelted out.Went in search of it and low and behold it was this bar.Great little boozer and boss atmostphere for most matches

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2011, 01:05:41 pm »
This is one of the biggest problems of my job. Moving every 2 years,usually to a foreign country means i very rarely get home at the moment,so much so when i was at home at the beginning of August i was excited to go the Valencia game!!

Still keeping my season ticket though!!!!!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »
This is something that has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

I've always liked the idea of living abroad for a host of reasons, not least a better climate.

Having spent a year travelling though, what I found was that the one thing that I missed above everything else (even family and friends at times) was being able to go to the match. Watching it on the television is not comparible in any way and especially so at some god forsaken hour.

I don't think it would ultimately stop me from doing what I want to do, but it's certainly something that i've thought about. At one point the thought of moving permanently to Australia appealed (and still does to a degree) but that would literally be the furtherest away I could possibly get, in turn making getting to a game increasingly unlikely.

I think if I looked to move abroad i'd probably stay in Europe because it's a compromise if you like. You have the lifestyle and climate that you're looking for - plus you have the football in that particular country. Okay, it's not Liverpool so it's not the same, but it's better than nothing. Plus it's not a two day trip just to get back.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2011, 01:13:17 pm »
This is something that has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

I've always liked the idea of living abroad for a host of reasons, not least a better climate.

Having spent a year travelling though, what I found was that the one thing that I missed above everything else (even family and friends at times) was being able to go to the match. Watching it on the television is not comparible in any way and especially so at some god forsaken hour.

I don't think it would ultimately stop me from doing what I want to do, but it's certainly something that i've thought about. At one point the thought of moving permanently to Australia appealed (and still does to a degree) but that would literally be the furtherest away I could possibly get, in turn making getting to a game increasingly unlikely.

I think if I looked to move abroad i'd probably stay in Europe because it's a compromise if you like. You have the lifestyle and climate that you're looking for - plus you have the football in that particular country. Okay, it's not Liverpool so it's not the same, but it's better than nothing. Plus it's not a two day trip just to get back.

kind of in the same boat.I would miss the game.granted i dont get to a lot, maybe 8 league games a season and some of the cup games.But id deffo miss it.The more i think about it though is what it is exactly that i would miss.i ahve to say its probably the banter with my mates more than anything else.Granted going the match is great and everything but its the actual banter on match days that i would miss most.Im determined to move abroad and it is going according to plan for the end of next year....Best get thsoe games in whilst i can this season

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2011, 01:19:43 pm »
I live in the States and if the opportunity came about I would move to England in a second!

FWIW I live in North Carolina and see virtually every game live on TV.  Rarely an early CC, FA, or Europa match would not be shown, but we get pretty much everything.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:09 pm »
The more i think about it though is what it is exactly that i would miss.i ahve to say its probably the banter with my mates more than anything else.Granted going the match is great and everything but its the actual banter on match days that i would miss most.

I think for me it's the atmosphere without a doubt, especially the aways and the big European nights. You just cannot replicate that anywhere else but the ground itself. You just can't.

The banter's great and i'd miss that as well, but the atmosphere is the big one for me.

I live in the States and if the opportunity came about I would move to England in a second!

Wanna swap?  ;)
Twitter | Blog

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:18 pm »
Other reasons would stop me first so not sure.

If you get offered an opportunity that you can't pass up then the match alone probably shouldn't stop you.
Saying that we are talking about the UK here not Somalia so its not like there aren't opportunities to get on here.

"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2011, 01:29:29 pm »
Sean, you leave Liverpool, Liverpool never leaves you.

:wellin
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
If you're happy watching games on TV then quite honestly there is better coverage of LFC abroad then there is in this country. Never missed a game when I have been to Spain, US, Dubai even Pakistan.

Offline Dick Emery

• Legacy Fan
  • You are awful but I like you
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 01:53:26 pm »
I moved to Runcorn once. Never again. Was like living in a foreign country.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 02:15:03 pm »
i have LFC in my heart
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:06 pm »
Something I've thought long and hard about, its just me and the missus and we both fancy trying to start a new life in Greece, even tried learning some lingo but the first thing I thought about was not going the game, could I do it? Every game shown live over there but it ain't the same as walking up the back of the Kop, stopping halfway cause I'm knackered,then walking out into the sunshine and seeing that beautiful green pitch and stadium,with the anticipation of the match.
But Greece is a piece of piss to get back from, think if we did it, it would just mean cutting back on the games and watching the rest live in a taverna and get the best of both worlds.
Not being a season ticket holder means aways ain't really a problem, only go three or four anyway.
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »
Couldn't do it, if i knew it was for a short time then i could. I plan on being rich anyway so i'll just buy a house here, buy one in Spain, buy one in America and job done. Spend 5 days somewhere and then fly home for the matches. Ahh.. life is going to be grand.

Offline AnnieRoad(Un)Faithful

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Olivavu
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »
Tickets are too expensive as it is...let alone chucking the cost of flights on top!
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2011, 03:46:22 pm »
Just wondering everybody that's moving abroad is it to retire ?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
Just wondering everybody that's moving abroad is it to retire ?

I haven't done it yet but i'd like to. From my perspective it's not in preperation for retirement, it would be in persuit of an improved lifestyle. A warmer climate and generally a more relaxed way of life and I think to a certain extent the two go hand in hand.

Maybe i'm being a little romantic in my belief that i'll find that abroad, but that's my opinion having spent (admittedly fleeting) periods in various countries as well as listening to the viewpoint of others who have done the same.

You don't know until you try it I guess.
Twitter | Blog

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »
I used to think i'd stay put to go the match, now i'm fucking embarrased to have ever had that opinion
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »
As per usual Fat Scouser is on the ball. For me personally, coming from Liverpool, actually gives you the confidence, knowledge and power to go and make it wherever you want in the world.
Do i miss going the footy? Of course i do. But i get back quite frequently and there are more Libpool games on live here than back home!

An if you ever roll on by this way Leo, there is always a place to kip.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2011, 04:31:47 pm »
Just the opposite mate, I'm looking for jobs and places to live in the Northwest at the minute so I can be closer, ditchin all the family and friends in the process!  The half hour flight from belfast is just too much for me!
(by the way, any suggestions on a nice, yet cheap place to live?)

North-East? Newcastle or Durham.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2011, 05:14:07 pm »

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2011, 05:15:39 pm »
by the way, any suggestions on a nice, yet cheap place to live?

Salford?

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
Couldn't do it, if i knew it was for a short time then i could. I plan on being rich anyway so i'll just buy a house here, buy one in Spain, buy one in America and job done. Spend 5 days somewhere and then fly home for the matches. Ahh.. life is going to be grand.

weird, that my plan too.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...