Author Topic: The book of rotation - inspired scripture or apocrypha ?  (Read 9775 times)

Online the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: The book of rotation - inspired scripture or apocrypha ?
« Reply #40 on: November 7, 2007, 04:42:04 pm »
My oh my... about that 'rotation' thing...
Now Wenger seems to think it's a good idea. They were all standing by the sidelines while our manajher were being ostracised, now they're considering it as an active policy:

Wenger considers rotation:
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2866613,00.html

Just hope it goes bollox for them.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 8, 2007, 01:14:27 am »
But the first man to walk up Everest was part of a squad of sherpa's and was heavily rotated  ;D

Shankly refused to have Sir Edmund Hilary as a guest on his radio show because he said " You can't play football up Everest".......fair enough I'd say !
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 8, 2007, 01:30:09 am »
My oh my... about that 'rotation' thing...
Now Wenger seems to think it's a good idea. They were all standing by the sidelines while our manajher were being ostracised, now they're considering it as an active policy:

Wenger considers rotation:
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2866613,00.html

Just hope it goes bollox for them.

"I certainly think we have a big enough squad to give the players a rest when it is needed. I like to keep stability in the team but when it is needed to take one or two players out," the Frenchman told reporters.
From the team that played us he has made the following 'one or two changes'  11, 11, 8 and had 1 win versus Sheff Utd in those 4 games.

Anyone in the media mention it ?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 8, 2007, 05:18:58 am »
A lot of it depends on who's being rotated. The core of the team should be kept out on the field as much as possible, and this means Reina, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, and Torres. We're lucky in that three of those players are midfielders, and can all bring different things to the team. If you look at that list, those guys are the ones who you can bank on to be switched on, on top of their game, and ready to perform well 90% of the time. Finnan is almost in that bracket, as is Arbeloa, but as the two are fairly interchangable - and will be swapped around depending on the opposition - I've left them out.

If you've got your backs against the wall, you dont want to see a spineless team try to hold out for a 0-0 during a grim December night at Villa Park, you want to see your best players take the game by the scruff of the neck and force the result in your favour. The above guys can do that.

By all means, rotate the supporting striker, the creative midfielder, and occasionally the fullbacks if needs be, but we should be keeping the spine of the team out on the field, focused, and playing as regularly as possible.

As obvious as it may seem, the best footballers are the ones who can be on top of their game both mentally and physically for as long a time as possible. Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Paul Scholes, Denis Bergkamp, Gianfranco Zola... not the type of players who'll fold under a bit of criticism or a supposed lack of form. Jermaine Pennant, Harry Kewell, Ryan Babel? Maybe. So you can rotate them when they need a break or they're not handling the pressure well.

What happened when a radio presenter called Carragher a bottler? Carragher called him up, told him to come down to Melwood and say it to his face. You cannot afford to rest those kinds of players - the talismen, the ones who will scrap for the points and drag the rest of the team up a level when needs be.

Chelsea don't rest Drogba, United don't rest Rooney, Arsenal never rested Henry, we shouldn't rest Torres. The more games we keep these guys on the pitch for, the more games we'll win. And once we hit a run of wins, they won't be tired. Trust me.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #44 on: November 8, 2007, 09:28:34 am »
to be fair Col the only reason I think Torres has been rotated as much, and when I say as much I think it's only one game he missed which wasn't due to injury and even that he'd picked up a niggle whilst away with the national team and I don't think he was a hundred percent.

I could also understand it even if he was 100% as it appears Rafa likes to blood new players slowly, I would speculate this is so they can get use to seeing how the team play from the bench, an entirely different perspective to being out there but equally as valuable.

Otherwise i'd say you were right and coincidentally Rafa does actually stick to the core players. How often do Pepe, Gerrard, Carra, Agger get rotated... I think a fit Harry might also have this status, then you have Alonso and Masch who if Stevie is going to be playing central then only one can be out there at a time, Finnan, Arbeloa would be the next lot who are rarely rotated, I think Fabio would fit in this category when fit followed by Riise, Kuyt, Babel and Voronin on current evidence.

Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #45 on: November 8, 2007, 11:58:57 am »
Presumably if we hadn't rotated players for the Beşiktaş game we would have won by more than 8-0?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #46 on: November 9, 2007, 12:00:19 am »
I think Rafa should keep rotating, until he reaches the same '11 again.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline psmithy1969

• Kemlynite
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2007, 05:51:38 pm »
This rotation thing is just media hype blown out of proportion.