Author Topic: Javier Mascherano  (Read 403976 times)

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Javier Mascherano
« Reply #3280 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:04 pm »
Would make a great captain, soon please.

yeah i agree, gerrard is possibly the best player i have ever seen in a red shirt but he`s not a captain imo, he wears his heart on his sleeve, anyone can see that he thinks half his team mates arent good enough.
mascherano should get the armband.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3281 on: December 14, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »
I have been his biggest critic but even I have to concede that he has been excellent since Argentina qualified for the world cup, and was brilliant yesterday.

He is still off to Barca next summer though.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3282 on: December 14, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
I have been his biggest critic but even I have to concede that he has been excellent since Argentina qualified for the world cup, and was brilliant yesterday.

He is still off to Barca next summer though.

I doubt it. I think he'll sign a new deal and we'll get another couple of years out of him,

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #3283 on: December 14, 2009, 10:46:30 pm »
I doubt it. I think he'll sign a new deal and we'll get another couple of years out of him,

The only way that'll happen is if Argentina win the World Cup otherwise he's a gonner.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3284 on: December 14, 2009, 10:50:59 pm »
The only way that'll happen is if Argentina win the World Cup otherwise he's a gonner.

Let's be honest mate none of us know what his intentions are do we?

It will all depend on this new deal and what position we are in come May

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3285 on: December 15, 2009, 08:33:35 am »
Would make a great captain, soon please.

The thing is he'd have to start talking to Rafa again.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:51 am »

He's not?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3287 on: December 15, 2009, 08:38:30 am »

He's not?

Not since the end of last season.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3288 on: December 15, 2009, 08:57:42 am »
Why would that make him stay ?

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3289 on: December 15, 2009, 09:00:45 am »
 Would be a huge loss  ....... especially if his heart and mind is with us ..... always had him down for a future captain for us ..

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3290 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:34 am »

If he goes to Barca, I think we will miss his presence and awareness, something that Lucas (even though i think he's a good tackler and has a great work rate) has yet to bring to LFC.

You only have to look and see how much we are missing Alonso to realise how foolish it would be for us to let a top notch player, already integrated into the team and the city go.

Obviously , if he wants to go, then he goes. But no way should we encourage him to leave under the misapprehension that we can easily replace him with another midfield destroyer.   
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: December 15, 2009, 11:13:16 am »

If that's true it would make for tension in the dressing room.  Where did you get that from?

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #3292 on: December 15, 2009, 11:27:48 am »
Masch is irreplaceable like for like, he is about the best in the world in his position.

The vibe appears to be that a move to Spain ( Spanish speaking, nice weather, scenery etc) is likely. We will miss him, and i think many Reds fail to appreciate what we have. The recent trend of dissing perfectly decent players (Warnock / Bellamy/Crouch/Keane/ Barry) has ill served us. Many fail to acknowledge that he has achieved more in his career than Torres or Gerrard.

The summer will be key.If we fail to qualify for the CL, and need cash he is the likely sacrifice.The World Cup will also provide the perfect platform for him to either negotiate a lucrative new deal with us, or a big oney move.A January move makes no sense for him, or us.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline shockwave_dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3293 on: December 15, 2009, 11:31:18 am »

Why? Anything about Barca?

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3294 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:01 pm »
was the turning point in the game yesterday when mascherano picked up that knock.  he was by far the best player on the pitch up untill that moment.

reminded me of how we fell to pieces defensively in one o the champions league semi's against chelsea as soon as he went off.  lampard hadn't had a kick all game and then he scored 2 as soon as mascherano went off.

don't think some of our supporters realise how good mascherano is and how much our team is gonna go backwards if he leaves in the summer.

Right on the money there mate!

Offline McManamanamanaman

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3295 on: December 15, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »
Masch is irreplaceable like for like, he is about the best in the world in his position.

The vibe appears to be that a move to Spain ( Spanish speaking, nice weather, scenery etc) is likely. We will miss him, and i think many Reds fail to appreciate what we have. The recent trend of dissing perfectly decent players (Warnock / Bellamy/Crouch/Keane/ Barry) has ill served us. Many fail to acknowledge that he has achieved more in his career than Torres or Gerrard.

Agree with all. Season stats with Mascherno playing, Games played 24, wins 15, draws 7, losses 2.
http://www.footballanorak.com/Javier-Mascherano-pid-1596.html

He's important, and not responsible for too many draws, which is clearly where we're falling down this year.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3296 on: December 15, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
Many fail to acknowledge that he has achieved more in his career than Torres or Gerrard.

Um ...

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3297 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:11 pm »
Even Mascherano would struggle to win the European Championship, with Argentina mate!

If he decides to leave that's fine, my price is £50 Million.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3298 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:54 pm »
If that's true it would make for tension in the dressing room.  Where did you get that from?

Sorry, I wouldn't like to say.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3299 on: December 15, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »

Didnt rafa say they held positive talks not long ago ?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3300 on: December 15, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
Even Mascherano would struggle to win the European Championship, with Argentina mate!

If he decides to leave that's fine, my price is £50 Million.

How long has he got on his contract? Is it 2 years after this season or is it 18 months?

I doubt we will be getting Xabi money for him, probably looking at about 20-25m max. We can't even afford to have him sit it out another season either as his value would drop, unlike Alonso who could have stayed one more year and still have 2 full seasons left on his contract.

I don't see how he will now do a U-turn and stay. According to the speculation, he wanted to leave for reasons other than success and the lure of Barca, a spanish speaking nation, sun etc. was too great. I don't see how he will change his mind now. Which makes the badge kissing all the more ridiculous.

Anyway, as others have said, I won't be as fussed to lose him as I was when we lost Alonso. There are a fair few players that can do a similar role, unlike Alonso's of whom there are very, very few.

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: December 16, 2009, 11:51:39 am »
How long has he got on his contract? Is it 2 years after this season or is it 18 months?

I doubt we will be getting Xabi money for him, probably looking at about 20-25m max. We can't even afford to have him sit it out another season either as his value would drop, unlike Alonso who could have stayed one more year and still have 2 full seasons left on his contract.

I don't see how he will now do a U-turn and stay. According to the speculation, he wanted to leave for reasons other than success and the lure of Barca, a spanish speaking nation, sun etc. was too great. I don't see how he will change his mind now. Which makes the badge kissing all the more ridiculous.

Anyway, as others have said, I won't be as fussed to lose him as I was when we lost Alonso. There are a fair few players that can do a similar role, unlike Alonso's of whom there are very, very few.

No chance would we only get £20m for Mascherano. We'd sell him for £25m to £30m minimum.

Nothing wrong with badge kissing when you mean it and always give your all. Which Masch does. You can see how much that goal meant to him, you can see what a bond he has with the fans and his love for the club won't change even if he does eventually move on in his career.

Offline Baz1LFC

• Kopite
« Reply #3302 on: December 16, 2009, 11:58:28 am »
Some of are fans need a wake up call. The likes of Masch an Torres will not be here for life if he moves on yeah give him his due and wish him all the best. A fella the other day said " torres is a scouser he wouldnt leave". He left Atletico his boyhood club to come here an when the time is right he will move on again. Same with Masch being from south america he probably dreamed of playing for Barca or Real an the fact Messi's there too an he looks like he will be there for life.
I hope to god he stays for a few more years because he seems like he really does care about the club you seen what his goal meant to him in the derby he was going mad.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:12:26 pm by Baz1LFC »

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #3303 on: December 16, 2009, 12:10:37 pm »
Some of are fans need a wake up call. The likes of Masch an Torres will not be here for life if he moves on yeah give him his due and wish him all the best. A fella the other day said " torres is a scouser he wouldnt leave". He left Atletico his boyhood club to come here an when the time is right he will move on again. Same with Masch being from south america he probably dreamed of playing for the Barca or Real an the fact Mess's there too an he looks like he will be there for life.

Wise words.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Neil D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3304 on: December 16, 2009, 12:17:55 pm »
Some of are fans need a wake up call. The likes of Masch an Torres will not be here for life if he moves on yeah give him his due and wish him all the best. A fella the other day said " torres is a scouser he wouldnt leave". He left Atletico his boyhood club to come here an when the time is right he will move on again. Same with Masch being from south america he probably dreamed of playing for Barca or Real an the fact Messi's there too an he looks like he will be there for life.
I hope to god he stays for a few more years because he seems like he really does care about the club you seen what his goal meant to him in the derby he was going mad.

Exactly mate. Xabi is a great example - he loved us and he loved the club but it was time in his career to move on to a new challenge back in Spain so you have to wish him well and say thanks. As long as players give their all when they are here and leave in the right way I don't see how you can accuse them of being disloyal.

Offline Hoofmaster_JAY

• Main Stander
  • Something witty ...
« Reply #3305 on: December 16, 2009, 12:19:18 pm »
Yep
Agreed .

Offline Keens

• Kopite
  • Thanks for the memories Rafa!
« Reply #3306 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:09 pm »
Masch has been playing very well lately, and his attitude has changed. if he wants to go in the near future, wish him well. I agree, as long as he gives 100% for us whilst here I'll wish him well
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club....." - Kenny Dalglish

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3307 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »
I'll admit earlier in the season I doubted whether his heart was in it and wondered if his best performances in a red shirt were behind him. Full credit to him, he's really come back into form the last few matches and his 'destroyer' capabilities seem to be back to their best. Time and again he broke Wigan's play into pieces on his own - which is really saying something, considering Gerrard seemed to get caught forward today on numerous occasions.

An on-form and motivated Mascherano is integral to our aspirations.
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3308 on: December 16, 2009, 10:21:17 pm »
He was excellent tonight. Glad to see him returning to form with force.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3309 on: December 16, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »
Quality tonight, the yellow was a shame since he slipped just as he was about to make the tackle. He's an example to everyone right now though, giving everything he's got for us.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #3310 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »
Not the greatest of passers. But all it takes is one tackle and it lifts the crowd and team
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3311 on: December 16, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »
Yossi has been the player of 2009 but Masch has been the player of this month and indeed the last 6 weeks or so. Awesome tonight, well motivated and looking for that forward pass he is supposed to be bereft of. Well done, once again Mash.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3312 on: December 16, 2009, 11:16:19 pm »
I said it another thread but IMO he is the true leader of this team right now.
Class again. Great to have him back.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3313 on: December 17, 2009, 04:47:00 pm »
Yossi has been the player of 2009 but Masch has been the player of this month and indeed the last 6 weeks or so. Awesome tonight, well motivated and looking for that forward pass he is supposed to be bereft of. Well done, once again Mash.
It's not really the forward passes that is the problem in my opinion - even though he misplaced quite a few against Wigan - it's the time he takes getting the ball under control, and pass it on. His first time pass isn't great (not even under pressure, he put an easy one out to touch yesterday, and that has happened a few times this season), niether is his control, and he makes weird decisions when on the ball sometimes. He did a similar thing to what happened against Chelsea yesterday, dribbling into two-three opponents, losing the ball, and allowing Wigan to break forward.

I think he needs to improve these things, cause all of them lead to us having the ball less. To often Mascherano, or the player he passes to, doesn't have enough time to play a good pass, and we just hoof it forward instead (atleast the defenders do).

That said, he looks back to his best when it comes to pressing and ball-winning, and I'd always play him in our midfield. No one have that aggression and it's noticable whenever we're without him.

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #3314 on: December 17, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »
Great performance last night. Complemented Gerrard in the middle and showed that a real issue we have at the moment is that Lucas is not good enough for the midfield.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3315 on: December 17, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »
Great performance last night. Complemented Gerrard in the middle and showed that a real issue we have at the moment is that Lucas is not good enough for the midfield.
Nah, the main problem is that Aurelio is shite.

Offline rattusdei

• Kopite
  • Look at his face and RAGE. RAGE I say!
« Reply #3316 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:15 pm »

mascherano is absolutely vital to the way rafa plays. xabi was replaceable (let us not forget rafa trying to offload him). losing mascherano without a ready replacement (lucas? spearing? lol plessis?) would screw us up royally.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3317 on: December 17, 2009, 05:37:17 pm »
mascherano is absolutely vital to the way rafa plays.
So was Sissoko.

xabi was replaceable (let us not forget rafa trying to offload him).
Just beacuse Rafa attempted to sell him does it mean that he was repleacable. He is a very unique type of player.

Offline rattusdei

• Kopite
  • Look at his face and RAGE. RAGE I say!
« Reply #3318 on: December 17, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »
Can't sell Mascherano without a replacement, and right now, the nearest similar player would be Lucas. Lucas is not quite the destroyer Mascherano is.

Until a replacement is ready, Rafa won't sell.

Can only hope Maradona, in a rare moment of sanity, convinces masch to stay a little longer at Liverpool for his own good.

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3319 on: December 17, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
Agreed. First month or 6 weeks of the season, he's a passenger. Truly picked up his form after Argentina qualified for the WC.