Author Topic: SLR Cameras - recommendations and advice  (Read 149016 times)

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SLR Camera's
« Reply #520 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »
That lens is bad to the bone... My dream lens is a 50mm 1.4 , it is the only lens this girl I know takes pictures with, and the results are amazing. Obviously it has a lot to do with her talent, but there are certain things you just can't do with certain lenses, and although this one would seem to restrict so many options, it opens up just as many other ones..if that makes sense

http://www.christisue.com/blog/2011/08/27/kids/?gallery_popup=1
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: October 19, 2011, 08:59:54 pm »
Mmmmmm, what a lovely lens. No, you are not mad, but you're looking at around £1000 brand new or £800 for a decent 2nd hand one! Ouch! I have 1 myself, swapped it for a 24-105 f4 IS USM, but I prefer the wider aperture.

If I bought one I'd buy it through my friends company and not pay VAT. Could also pay him back in installments.

But its a lot of money and I'm still learning. Dunno whether to unless I try making money out of it.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: October 19, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »
That lens is bad to the bone... My dream lens is a 50mm 1.4 , it is the only lens this girl I know takes pictures with, and the results are amazing. Obviously it has a lot to do with her talent, but there are certain things you just can't do with certain lenses, and although this one would seem to restrict so many options, it opens up just as many other ones..if that makes sense

http://www.christisue.com/blog/2011/08/27/kids/?gallery_popup=1

Whats bad about it?

On another note, taking pictures of kids, urrgghh. How do people do it. Its like my two know im about to take a snap so jump in front of something shit like a dog shit bin or decide to pull a stupid face. The amount of shots I take and are out of focus is unreal.

Offline BRdispatch05

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:34 pm »
Whats bad about it?

On another note, taking pictures of kids, urrgghh. How do people do it. Its like my two know im about to take a snap so jump in front of something shit like a dog shit bin or decide to pull a stupid face. The amount of shots I take and are out of focus is unreal.

I guess I never realized the universal understanding of that phrase actually meant "pure evil", my friends/coworkers and I jokingly use it as a reference to something that's great. I really like that lens, was just also mentioning the 50mm is another great lens to look at.

I've never found it easy to take pictures of children either, unless I don't know them. Maybe you can get a zoom lens and take candid shots of them while they're distracted with something else?

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »
Completely misunderstood you there.

How about the 24-105, probably about £350 cheaper than the 24-70. Both always compared with mixed comments.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #525 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »
I will have a budget of about 600 -800 USD, any decent camera I can buy with that? I would like to take sports action pictures and portraits mainly (the ofdd landscape here and there) any advice?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline BRdispatch05

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »
Completely misunderstood you there.

How about the 24-105, probably about £350 cheaper than the 24-70. Both always compared with mixed comments.

To be honest I'm no expert when it comes to choosing a lens, but I guess it really comes down to whether you would benefit from having that extra stop. Can you test it out anywhere near you? What kind of camera are you using, and what kind of pictures do you take? Does the camera have a full frame sensor?

You will hear so many different sides to choosing between lenses, and not saying it's all insignificant because there are definitely things to keep in mind, but don't let it overwhelm you. Best way to find out is to try them both on your own camera, learn the basic advantages/disadvantages, and see which would benefit you most depending on what you shoot. Or if a slight advantage (in this case f2.8 vs f4.0 ) is really not worth the $ for what you're doing, considering iso technology has advanced so much recently, I would think with that range the main reason people would splash the extra $ is the depth of field. Also keep in mind there are benefits the 24-105 has the 24-70 does not, such as it's lighter, image stabilization, and that extra range.

I've never found it easy to take pictures of children either, unless I don't know them. Maybe you can get a zoom lens and take candid shots of them while they're distracted with something else?

Upon review this probably is the creepiest thing I've ever posted. By "children I don't know" I meant at weddings or not personally related, doing family portraits, and by "getting a zoom lens" I didn't mean at the park hiding behind a tree taking shots of kids on the swingset, I meant maybe while you're sitting on the porch and your children are playing in the yard you could take shots without them being aware :) haha

I will have a budget of about 600 -800 USD, any decent camera I can buy with that? I would like to take sports action pictures and portraits mainly (the ofdd landscape here and there) any advice?

Definitely! Are you looking for a newer camera, or do you mind if it's used? I'm not sure if you have craigslist or something similar in the UK, but I always find great deals locally using this site. I like to recommend Canon's and Nikon's, but that doesn't mean other brands are shit just that I don't have much knowledge of them. If I was taking sports shots I would lean towards the Canon 30d/40d/50d depending on what you can find (with this series the lower the number the older the camera), but they all are very fast, as in FPS (frames per second). Nikon, I used to own the D200 (D300 is the nwer version, more pricey thoughalthough some advantages) and that seems to be the comparable version to the Canon's I mentioned, although generally a little more expensive. The newer models seem to be able to handle low light better as the technology has advanced, but that also depends what kind of lens you get with the camera.

If you're doing sports you would probably mostly benefit from a zoom lens, so I would look for a faster camera that comes with one. There seem to be a lot of deals that come with a telephoto lens (70-300mm lens for instance) and a normal lens (18-55 being the most typical), which many will say is a shitty lens but really it will take great photos for portraits and landscapes, there are just other lenses that are better for one reason or another, and usually they are freaking expensive. I wouldn't worry too much about getting into expensive lenses. 

I'm sure many here have much more knowledge than I do when it comes to cameras/lenses but that's my "two cents", so if you're not sure I would post what you're looking at in here, then go from that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:26:53 pm by BRDispatch05 »

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:36 pm »
Canon refurb shop on eBay has a bunch of 1000d refurbs up at the moment with the 18-55 kit lens - comes with 1 year warranty frm canon too.

Worth getting for a beginner moving up from compacts? Wouldn't go higher than £275 on the auction hopefully.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #528 on: November 11, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »
Canon refurb shop on eBay has a bunch of 1000d refurbs up at the moment with the 18-55 kit lens - comes with 1 year warranty frm canon too.

Worth getting for a beginner moving up from compacts? Wouldn't go higher than £275 on the auction hopefully.

Absolutely. But then, don't just stick it on Full Auto mode. Play around with all modes and find out by trial and error what they do.

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
Nikon D3100 - SLR Camera
« Reply #529 on: November 19, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
Nikon D3100 - SLR

Getting this for my girlfriend for christmas but can't find it cheaper than £429.99 anywhere with the 18-55mm lens
I've seen it in Tesco for £399.99 but they're out of stock and apparently there was a big flood at the Nikon factory so it will be unlikely there'll be any available too soon.

Anyone in the industry or have some experience in this field that can offer help would be great :)

Would also consider alternates if enough people can explain to me what the differences are because I've done a little research and from what I've understood this is the best start out SLR on the market?

Thanks guys :D

(Thanks for moving to the right place ;])
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:15:36 pm by S7ARZ »

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: November 20, 2011, 12:11:08 pm »
I know its not an SLR but has anyone had any experience or got any views on the Sony NEX range? Looking at picking up a 5N in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: November 28, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
Can anyone explain the difference between an SLR and a Bridge camera?

I'm wanting one for christmas but dont know where to start. I just see an impressive looking piece of kit, and assume it will perform as good as it looks. I have no history of photography except on my phone but it is something I want to start doing. Not as a job or anything, just to start taking good pictures when we go out as a family or when my son is doing sports and shit in school. I have a budget of around £250 and have seen a few that I would love to have but know I wouldnt know what the fuck I am doing with.
This mother fucker, FinePix HS20EXR, had me foaming at the mouth. But ive given up on it as it doesnt seem like a beginners camera. I want something better than the average run of the mill camera, but something thats going to impress me too
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #532 on: November 28, 2011, 07:03:40 pm »
Can anyone explain the difference between an SLR and a Bridge camera?

I'm wanting one for christmas but dont know where to start. I just see an impressive looking piece of kit, and assume it will perform as good as it looks. I have no history of photography except on my phone but it is something I want to start doing. Not as a job or anything, just to start taking good pictures when we go out as a family or when my son is doing sports and shit in school. I have a budget of around £250 and have seen a few that I would love to have but know I wouldnt know what the fuck I am doing with.
This mother fucker, FinePix HS20EXR, had me foaming at the mouth. But ive given up on it as it doesnt seem like a beginners camera. I want something better than the average run of the mill camera, but something thats going to impress me too

Olympus E-PL1. Fantastic camera. You'll never look back.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: November 28, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
What about this little number

FUJI FinePix S3200

Completely clueless at this

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: November 29, 2011, 05:19:21 pm »
Ignore me then. I just gave you the best advice you could ever hope for.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2011, 10:09:20 pm »
Ignore me then. I just gave you the best advice you could ever hope for.

Although it could be argued that the EPL1 isn't a bridge camera ;-). He's fucking clueless though, so wouldn't know the difference :-).

My recommendation is Panasonic LX5, Canon S95, Olympus XZ1. Long zooms and small sensors are mostly gash.

However, if he can stump for a MILC, then EP1, GF1 and other mFT are great cameras (except G10).

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
Although it could be argued that the EPL1 isn't a bridge camera ;-). He's fucking clueless though, so wouldn't know the difference :-).

My recommendation is Panasonic LX5, Canon S95, Olympus XZ1. Long zooms and small sensors are mostly gash.

However, if he can stump for a MILC, then EP1, GF1 and other mFT are great cameras (except G10).

I don't think he even said he wanted a bridge camera, just that he wanted to know what the difference was :D and that he had a budget of £250 to buy a camera that, to paraphrase, a retard could use.

The E-PL1 fits the bill perfectly as it is the best camera available in that price range, in my view (I did a ton of research before buying my own). What's more, its operation is as simple or as complex as you want. You can whack it in iAuto mode for retard-friendly point and shoot, select from a range of condition specific and macro modes, choose from several art filters, and then 3 different semi auto modes. This makes it an ideal camera to learn with, which was my reason for choosing it. Then when you've done your learning, you can go completely off-piste with it and take full manual control. Seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I have taken photos I never dreamed of being able to take.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: November 29, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »
I agree. EPL1 is fucking amazing and best bang for buck mirror less interchangeable lens camera out there.

I'm a Panasonic mFT shooter, but I love the whole system.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
I agree. EPL1 is fucking amazing and best bang for buck mirror less interchangeable lens camera out there.

I'm a Panasonic mFT shooter, but I love the whole system.

Yeah, it's great isn't it? The lenses are so lightweight and portable. M4/3 is the future.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:36 pm »
Yeah, it's great isn't it? The lenses are so lightweight and portable. M4/3 is the future.

Not so sure about being the future, but it's got a long future ahead of it. Sony are poised to keep pushing the market and technology, and I think Samsung will ultimately have a big say too. Nikon's entry into MILC is uninspiring, and who knows what Canon will do. They're both so desperate to not affect EOS and F mount sales, they could miss out on a massive sector.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: December 1, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
Retard? I am so offended.

Anyway, what is the difference between a bridge and an slr?

I didn't ignore you. I had a look at your suggestion. Haven't ruled it out, but I'm still looking at others. I'll have a look at timiano's suggestions too.

Ta for your help. You retardphobic mother fucker  :P

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: December 1, 2011, 11:56:40 pm »
Right, yer big retard :-)

SLR camera basically uses interchangable lenses, and has a mirror that bounces the the image into your eye to compose and focus the photo. When you hit the shutter, the mirror moves out of the way, and the shutter curtain opens and exposes the sensor/film.

A bridge camera doesn't have interchangable lenses and typically uses an LCD viewfinder these days. The sensors are usually very small and much lower quality. They usually have very large optics on them that go from very wide to super telephoto. They feel like SLRs in the hand, with a grip and a lens barrel. Personally, I think they're a bit shit. I'd much rather have a high end compact.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: December 2, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »
Haha, sorry! I didn't mean that you were a general retard, just a photography retard. I speak from experience as I was a photography retard until recently too. Hope you get an EPL1 as I know you would love it.

Online Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #543 on: December 2, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »
its all to do with the size the sensor. Bridge cameras have relatively tiny sensors. M3/4 format has a smaller sensor than the APS-C format that nikon/canon/sony use. And will have a worse low light performance when you bump up the ISO..
I think a traditional SLR is your best bet for the best pictures. Nikon D5100 or Canon 600D will set you back around £600 with a lens. closer to you budget is nikon 3100, and canon 1100D around £400 with lens. are my recomendations.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2011, 09:51:02 pm by Paul_h »

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: December 3, 2011, 12:23:12 am »
Buy a canon 400d or 450 off eBay. Get one for 200 plus lens. Gradually get better lens

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: December 3, 2011, 01:54:45 am »
its all to do with the size the sensor.

Not entirely. It does depend on the quality of the tech in the sensor too. There's not 'that' much difference between m4/3 and APS-C, but a big jump to full frame. Out of the ones you suggested, I'd go for the D5100, but wouldn't dismiss the Sony SLTs either.

However, if you don't mind manual focus, Sony Nex and m4/3 can not be beaten with the availability of sub £50-100 lenses on eBay. I have a nice collection of Canon FDs, M39 and M42. You've not lived untl you've tried a 15 leaf iris on a Jupiter-9 85/2.....for £60 ;D

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: December 3, 2011, 02:11:05 am »
My collection btw:

Canon FD 28/2, 28/2.8, 35/2, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/2.8, 200/4, 200/2.8, 300/5.6
Panasonic Lumix 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 14-140/4-5.8, 100-300/4-5.6
Helios 44M-2 58/2
Jupiter 8 50/2, 3 50/1.5, 9 85/2
Mir 24M 35/2

I'm also testing anamorphics at the moment for our indie film crew, so I'm the proud owner of:

Panasonic LA7200 1.33x
Century Precision Optics 1.33x
Bolex 16/32 1.5x
Kowa Prominar 8z 2x
Proskar Ishico 16 2x
Proskar Keiham 16B 2x

I got a few 35mm SLRs knocking about too. AE1, 300v, and a Zorki 4k, Lomo120 and Lomo wide angle pinhole. Couple of super 8 cine cameras too.....probably a tonne more I've forgot about ;D

Yes, I'm a Photo/Video junkie :) :wave

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: December 3, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »
Wow! That's a lot of kit.

Here is a photo of my little M4/3 setup:

Olympus E-PL1
Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm kit lens
Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm telephoto
Olympus MCON Macro Lens Converter
and my latest purchase...
Olympus VF-3 Electronic Viewfinder. This is a brilliant (if expensive) little add-on which effectively transforms the operation into that of a small SLR. Definitely worth investing in for Oly M4/3 users.

My next purchase will be the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 prime, and I think that will be enough for me and my photography needs!
« Last Edit: December 3, 2011, 01:38:22 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #548 on: December 3, 2011, 11:43:29 pm »
I don't think he even said he wanted a bridge camera, just that he wanted to know what the difference was :D and that he had a budget of £250 to buy a camera that, to paraphrase, a retard could use.

The E-PL1 fits the bill perfectly as it is the best camera available in that price range, in my view (I did a ton of research before buying my own). What's more, its operation is as simple or as complex as you want. You can whack it in iAuto mode for retard-friendly point and shoot, select from a range of condition specific and macro modes, choose from several art filters, and then 3 different semi auto modes. This makes it an ideal camera to learn with, which was my reason for choosing it. Then when you've done your learning, you can go completely off-piste with it and take full manual control. Seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I have taken photos I never dreamed of being able to take.

I agree, I bought the EP-1 ( the one without the flash) mostly because my father-in-law has one, so I demoed it for a while and i was blown away with its flexibility. The filters are great  and at the £250 mark, Its my first SLR and I condnt be happier.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: December 4, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »
My next purchase will be the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 prime, and I think that will be enough for me and my photography needs!

Neat package. The 20/1.7 is fantastic. However, I'd Oly's new 45/1.8 as a portrait lens...and it's not break the bank either.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: December 7, 2011, 03:24:58 pm »
Have any of you good people ever used or even heard of a place called SLRHUT?

My Da has been using a Canon 450D for a couple of years now and I know he would really love to have this Canon 60D, body only cos he has 5 Canon lenses.   http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID344C5/4460b003-_Canon-EOS-60D-DSLR-Camera-Body-/   

£526.15.  How can it be that cheap?

Here is the same one in Jessops at £759.95   http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78103/show.html

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #551 on: December 7, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
Have any of you good people ever used or even heard of a place called SLRHUT?

I've looked at their site before and don't think they're in any way dodgy but I think you'll find they're US based so watch VAT and import duty charges. Check rate payable online with customs & excise.
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: December 7, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »
I see this on their website under "contact information",  http://slrhut.co.uk/contacts-index/   

Address: Unit 17, 336 Kennington Ln, London, SE11 5HY

Phones
UK Phone Number: +44 203 514-9372
USA Phone Number: +1 347 960 2015

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #553 on: December 7, 2011, 04:06:44 pm »
Looks like I should of gone to specsavers  :D
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
« Reply #554 on: December 7, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
They might have a UK stock?
The company I worked for last year ordered some products from the USA and they had a UK stock of a 'Core Range' which were available within 1-2 weeks whereas the US full range items were available within 6 weeks
Might be worth giving them a ring and enquiring

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: December 7, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
OK thank you.  I sent an email, here =    Customer Service: service@slrhut.co.uk

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:11 pm »
Have decided to go with the epl-1. But my budget has been cut to £200 so finding it a bit hard getting it with the lens for that price. Can buy the body only for around £150 on eBay but haven't looked for the lens separately

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: December 12, 2011, 01:12:52 am »
You will struggle to find the EPL1 plus lens for under £200

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: December 12, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »
You will struggle to find the EPL1 plus lens for under £200

I've been trying to look for the lens seperately on eBay but dont really know what the right one is. Will get a look properly tonight. If I can get the body for £150, I'll maybe just put the extra money to it and pay whatever over £50 for the lens

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: December 12, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »
The 14-42mm lens is the one that you're likely to get for the most reasonable price, and it is a pretty versatile piece of kit.