Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 340018 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5160 on: December 13, 2022, 07:13:02 pm »
I just had a search for current conditions / closures on the Woodhead but couldn't find anything. It was -5 up there an hour ago though. From what I've seen on the TV weather, little or no fresh snow is forecast, but temperatures will just about get above freezing.

Fingers crossed for a safe and uneventful drive. Take care, Debbs.

Thanks again mate.  Once I've got the girls back here on Saturday the weather can do what it wants and if we get snowed in but their parents want them home for Xmas they can come get them 😂

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5161 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:38 pm »
Thanks mate.

I've not decided yet if I'm doing Woodhead or the 62 but at that time of day it's an easier decision to make.

I'd swerve the Woodhead. Its shite in good conditions. I used to take my car back to the dealers to get serviced every January, little place just outside Sheffield and I found the M62/M1 route was about similar in time to the Woodhead and better on fuel.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5162 on: December 13, 2022, 09:33:49 pm »
I'd swerve the Woodhead. Its shite in good conditions. I used to take my car back to the dealers to get serviced every January, little place just outside Sheffield and I found the M62/M1 route was about similar in time to the Woodhead and better on fuel.

I probably will Rob rather than tempt fate.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5163 on: December 13, 2022, 10:12:37 pm »

Its too unpredictable in winter, it can do from clear to thick fog.  I used to work with somone who lived in Mottram at the bottom of the pass and she said you'd see the tarffic driving past, then all get turned around and come back, as they'd closed it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5164 on: December 14, 2022, 08:28:57 am »
Had to show my face in the office today, first time I've left the house since Saturday. Low and behold it's still icy as fook on the pavements by ours.

Friday I stupidly went into town for a drink having been locked up with Covid for a whole week. Despite warnings from all the sensible heads saying it was going to snow, be murder getting home, no taxis, I didn't listen and went out.

Fast forward to 1.30am on Saturday morning and Mr Uber has pulled up outside my gaff and I drunkenly put one foot out, only to find it immediately skate beneath me. I say to the driver, "I can't get out pal, it's too slippery!", being a good man he actually drove his car up onto the pavement and alongside my gate, allowing me to get out and cling to the gates for balance/safety.
Famous last words uttered, "I'm sorted now thanks pal, ta for that, take care!". Off he pops into the darkness of suburban Huyton as I tentatively walk up my path which has a slight incline.

In the blink of an eye I'm down on the floor, momentarily stunned and feeling the cold sting my palms. I tried to get back up, only to fall down again. There was absolutely no way I could get traction and there was nothing to project myself up with, wall, stick, post, bin etc.
My only option was to crawl, on all fours, like a dog, UP my path towards the front door.

Sadly, physics and gravity and all that, I'm the wrong side of 20 stone and 6.1 tall so if you can picture a hamster on a wheel doing its very best to gain momentum, that was me. Eventually got to the garden wall, got up, went to bed and contemplated how any crumbs of dignity I had left, had gone forever.

Literally hate ice, it belongs in a glass, ideally covered in Kraken or JD, not on the floor.

:lmao

Should've listened to me, said it was shite out! ;D

Hope your wrist is better now?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5165 on: December 14, 2022, 08:32:16 am »
We had to go out yesterday and it was treacherous on the pavements. The bridge over the railway line on Penny Lane was horrific. We had to walk in the road, and that was bad too. No grit on it at all. In fact, I've not seen a gritter since last week.

Was walking down Copperas Hill to Lime St yesterday, the pavement wasn't gritted, lots of people sliding about and having to hold onto the wall. It's in town, what sort of excuse do the council have? They need to grit the pavements when its icy like that. Bet there were a few broken bones extra, and the NHS can do without them.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5166 on: December 14, 2022, 08:34:03 am »
Way below freezing this morning, feels like the coldest day yet. That mild air can't arrive soon enough.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5167 on: December 14, 2022, 08:35:05 am »
-7 when I got in the car this morning. Still no snow here though.

Roll on Monday when the weatherman suggests it will be 11 degrees.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5168 on: December 14, 2022, 08:50:32 am »
-6.5 in the car this morning, bloody lovely clear crisp morning though.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5169 on: December 14, 2022, 10:57:37 am »
-7 when I got in the car this morning. Still no snow here though.

Roll on Monday when the weatherman suggests it will be 11 degrees.
Yup - one of those lows I saw beginning to form on the bottom left corner looks like it'll be responsible for pulling in lot milder air and you're back to SW winds. Even the 546 isotherm is gonna chase the 528 well away........it's how quickly things can change eh..........

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5170 on: December 14, 2022, 01:10:10 pm »
New neighbours moved in across the road on Monday and their boiler conked out last night.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5171 on: December 14, 2022, 01:24:27 pm »
Yup - one of those lows I saw beginning to form on the bottom left corner looks like it'll be responsible for pulling in lot milder air and you're back to SW winds. Even the 546 isotherm is gonna chase the 528 well away........it's how quickly things can change eh..........

Sleet & snow is being forecasted for Sunday morning[that 528 line is forecasted to be running north to south over the UK on Saturday], however temps are forecasted to shoot up from Sunday afternoon, so non of it will stick.
#Sausages

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5172 on: December 14, 2022, 02:15:35 pm »
Yarp. Scorchio.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5173 on: December 14, 2022, 04:24:13 pm »
-7 again tomorrow.  8)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5174 on: December 14, 2022, 06:00:09 pm »
Just walked to the school to meet my wife from work, I might need some thicker shorts if this weather keeps up  ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5175 on: December 14, 2022, 06:02:52 pm »
Just walked to the school to meet my wife from work, I might need some thicker shorts if this weather keeps up  ;D

The Lycra ones just not offering enough protection Rob?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5176 on: December 14, 2022, 06:46:45 pm »
The Lycra ones just not offering enough protection Rob?
It might be more of a throbbing visibility thing....

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5177 on: December 14, 2022, 10:24:05 pm »
I saw in another thread you used the M62. Hopefully conditions weren't too had and you had an uneventful and safe trip.

I had to drive last night. It was -4 at the time but the roads were reasonably ok.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5178 on: December 14, 2022, 10:26:11 pm »
Bumped into some English tourists today in Tallinn who were a bit lost and shell-shocked by the weather this week that even the locals are calling exceptional. One asked me, "So how long does this last normally?", referring to the snowbound roads and pavements. With a wry smile, I replied, "Well if you're really unlucky, maybe March?"

Should've seen their faces  ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5179 on: December 14, 2022, 11:16:47 pm »
I saw in another thread you used the M62. Hopefully conditions weren't too had and you had an uneventful and safe trip.

I had to drive last night. It was -4 at the time but the roads were reasonably ok.

It was horrible mate and a prompt reminder that I hate using the 62 and hope never have to use it again.

Weather wise it was fine, although I'd forgotten how dirty it is driving at this time of year but it's just too damn stressful.

That section where it become the M60, then the 61 exit and access then back to being the 62 takes years of my life everytine I do it. 

Absolute whoppers that have no idea what lane to be in then the ones that dither in lane 3 doing 40mph as they're too scared to change lanes.

Then whichever set of twats that are on gantry duty, playing let's see what bonkers excuse we can use to slow everyone down for no reason.

Then roadworks.

Omg it took forever to get to the M1.

I hate using it and watching the satnav telling me that my estimated arrival time is getting later by the minute.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5180 on: December 14, 2022, 11:29:59 pm »
US has severe weather right now, tornado warnings are out in some states [& their has been tornado's] including Louisiana, large amount of snow has fallen in the mid west
#Sausages

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5181 on: December 14, 2022, 11:40:58 pm »
It was horrible mate and a prompt reminder that I hate using the 62 and hope never have to use it again.

Weather wise it was fine, although I'd forgotten how dirty it is driving at this time of year but it's just too damn stressful.

That section where it become the M60, then the 61 exit and access then back to being the 62 takes years of my life everytine I do it. 

Absolute whoppers that have no idea what lane to be in then the ones that dither in lane 3 doing 40mph as they're too scared to change lanes.

Then whichever set of twats that are on gantry duty, playing let's see what bonkers excuse we can use to slow everyone down for no reason.

Then roadworks.

I hate using it and watching the satnav telling me that my estimated arrival time is getting later by the minute.
Urgh! Sounds awful.

We recently did the drive to Hebden Bridge and it wasn't fun.

I'm glad you came through unscathed though. Well, apart from the stress.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5182 on: December 15, 2022, 07:21:48 am »
Urgh! Sounds awful.

We recently did the drive to Hebden Bridge and it wasn't fun.

I'm glad you came through unscathed though. Well, apart from the stress.

I'll probably be using it again later but not that section.  I'll detour down the east side of Manchester and pick up the 56 from there.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #5183 on: December 15, 2022, 01:20:24 pm »

Should've listened to me, said it was shite out! ;D

Hope your wrist is better now?

:D When I got indoors and was muttering and feeling sorry for myself, I actually thought 'I remember RAWK saying stay in', mind reader you haha!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5184 on: December 15, 2022, 01:35:10 pm »
I'll probably be using it again later but not that section.  I'll detour down the east side of Manchester and pick up the 56 from there.

Eeeeeeeeeeee

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5185 on: December 15, 2022, 01:52:54 pm »
Had no running water this morning except for the kitchen sink cold tap. :butt

Just finally got running water in the whole house 20 mins ago, finally had a shower.  :scarf

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5186 on: December 15, 2022, 02:04:27 pm »

Then roadworks.

The drivers who use that entire section are some of the worst I have ever encountered outside of London, absolute knobheads the majority of them are.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #5187 on: December 15, 2022, 08:48:14 pm »
Had to show my face in the office today, first time I've left the house since Saturday. Low and behold it's still icy as fook on the pavements by ours.

Friday I stupidly went into town for a drink having been locked up with Covid for a whole week. Despite warnings from all the sensible heads saying it was going to snow, be murder getting home, no taxis, I didn't listen and went out.

Fast forward to 1.30am on Saturday morning and Mr Uber has pulled up outside my gaff and I drunkenly put one foot out, only to find it immediately skate beneath me. I say to the driver, "I can't get out pal, it's too slippery!", being a good man he actually drove his car up onto the pavement and alongside my gate, allowing me to get out and cling to the gates for balance/safety.
Famous last words uttered, "I'm sorted now thanks pal, ta for that, take care!". Off he pops into the darkness of suburban Huyton as I tentatively walk up my path which has a slight incline.

In the blink of an eye I'm down on the floor, momentarily stunned and feeling the cold sting my palms. I tried to get back up, only to fall down again. There was absolutely no way I could get traction and there was nothing to project myself up with, wall, stick, post, bin etc.
My only option was to crawl, on all fours, like a dog, UP my path towards the front door.

Sadly, physics and gravity and all that, I'm the wrong side of 20 stone and 6.1 tall so if you can picture a hamster on a wheel doing its very best to gain momentum, that was me. Eventually got to the garden wall, got up, went to bed and contemplated how any crumbs of dignity I had left, had gone forever.

Literally hate ice, it belongs in a glass, ideally covered in Kraken or JD, not on the floor.

you can guarantee that someone captured it on a security camera / doorbell!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5188 on: December 16, 2022, 12:00:32 am »
Forecasts are now showing 13C for Monday [t-shirt & shorts weather for Rob ;D], bring it on, getting fed up with this cold spell.
#Sausages

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5190 on: December 16, 2022, 08:17:45 am »
our situation :)
Jim you seen that mad lot or is that you
Can't open but is this the fella skiing down Lühike Jalg in the Old Town? Loon 😁

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5191 on: December 16, 2022, 08:19:21 am »
Forecasts are now showing 13C for Monday [t-shirt & shorts weather for Rob ;D], bring it on, getting fed up with this cold spell.

Deffo. Did have to give in last night on a 2 mile walk and wear thicker shorts
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5192 on: December 16, 2022, 08:20:20 am »
Deffo. Did have to give in last night on a 2 mile walk and wear thicker shorts
You showing through the thin ones again?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5193 on: December 16, 2022, 08:33:24 am »

In this weather? 😂
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5194 on: December 16, 2022, 08:55:54 am »

Come on Rob, you know the rules. Only wear the arseless chaps from March-September.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5195 on: December 16, 2022, 08:56:44 am »
Come on Rob, you know the rules. Only wear the arseless chaps from March-September.

You said you wore yours in winter, so I followed your lead
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5196 on: December 16, 2022, 09:16:13 am »
You said you wore yours in winter, so I followed your lead

It’s more of a chain than a lead.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5197 on: December 16, 2022, 11:32:25 am »

Make the most of it, as there's a decent chance colder will return by next weekend.

It's a chaotic set-up at the moment, with output models flip-flopping each run. Some will show back to full-on cold by Thursday/Friday, then the next run show the opposite. And vice-versa with ones now showing mild & wet (and windy) to continue.

In simple trms, the broad set-up is persistent high pressure to our north (which has been the case for 2/3 weeks), which has been ridging southwards to impact the UK, advecting cold air over us. That has been able to happen due to pressure over mainland Europe/the Med being lower than normal. Now heights are increasing there, forcing low pressure systems to take a more northerly track - over the UK on Sun/MonTue - which in turn pushes the high pressure to our north further northwards.

The weather we get just before and over Xmas depends on the behaviour of the European high. If it contracts/shifts a little south-eastwards, that allows the lows to phase over and past the UK quickly, and this leads to the northern high ridging southwards again (into the mid-North Atlantic, putting the UK on the cold side with a brisk northerly flow). Low pressure to our east feeds some instability onto the mix, which means showers. If the air is cold enough, they would be snow.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5198 on: December 16, 2022, 12:02:58 pm »
Nobby, are you saying the prediction models are behaving unpredictably?!  :-X

This is worth a read, by the way. I've been mocked before for liking at least the first third or so of The Day After Tomorrow - but the threat is real, albeit nowhere near as quickly as described in the remaining (mainly laughable) two thirds of that film.

Check out the AMOC...

https://www.businessinsider.com/day-after-tomorrow-was-right-and-wrong-about-climate-shifts-2019-3

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5199 on: December 16, 2022, 01:29:37 pm »
It's that cold that even Bristol harbour partially iced over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-bristol-63987259
#Sausages