Author Topic: The Thick of It  (Read 69041 times)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
Re: The Thick of It
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »
Seven episodes to air later in the year, confirmed by Ianucci.

Yes!
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Vliet of foot - in fact he is fast and bulbous
  • Anny Roader
  • S.O.S.
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:05 am »
Seven episodes to air later in the year, confirmed by Ianucci.

Fuckin' great.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2012, 11:51:17 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M9spU_T9Oys" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M9spU_T9Oys</a>

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »
The Thick of It: the agony of tight spaces

Ian Martin is a writer for The Thick of It.

Walking on to a film set for the first time is always dislocating. You cross a boundary between a commonplace reality and a tight, compacted fictional space. It's a shock, like discovering a diamond in a lump of coal, or a woman on Mock the Week, or a Lib Dem canvasser on your doorstep.

When the new series of The Thick of It was shot earlier this year, the wobbling stargate between ordinary space and the claustrophobic world of contemporary politics felt even more dramatic somehow. Production designer Simon Rogers and his team had conjured up the airless, gothic hellhole that is the opposition's headquarters within a blameless country house near Ruislip. You ascended a real, ancient staircase into a recreation of Labour's Victorian gloom-tank on Victoria Embankment. Suddenly that look of abandoned hope that seems to haunt Team Miliband made more sense. If a shadow cabinet meeting overruns they must all be on suicide watch. In the parallel telly universe it certainly doesn't improve the mood of Malcolm Tucker.

The show's coalition government ensemble inhabit a lighter, modern environment. But here the contrast between the Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship set and its immediate environment was even more striking. The location was an amazing disused office slab in Walton-on Thames, half a century old, designed by architects Sir John Burnet, Tait and Partners in the "Thunderbirds Modernism" style. These days, a Ballardian wilderness hides the swinging 60s abstract sculpture and formal gardens, but the groovy aluminium facade still looks pristine. It's a lovely, long building, each floor a prairie of open space. The DoSAC set was hunched into a corner.

On the "real life" side of the boundary, the space seemed fantastical, an optimistic dream world. There they'd have been, all those space-age ghosts. Doing the twist at the Christmas do, going on the pill, smoking pipes indoors, talking Tupperware, planning a holiday abroad. Everything was possible. Then you walked over the threshold of cables into the unreality of DoSAC. And you were plunged into this overcrowded rat cage, with fictional squabbling venal bastards at one another's throats in a grotesque travesty of consensus politics. And it felt as though this was the true space, this was the genuine reality. Here's Peter Mannion, the latest secretary of state, as beleaguered as the last. Mournfully, desperately looking for a corner to hide in, beset by civil servants, spads, his snarling coalition partners, the press. And party strategist Stewart Pearson's fearsome shirts.

Uncomfortable space has been a tonal constant in Thick since 2005. As in real life, where we've watched successive administrations run out of money and credibility, so we've seen the characters in the show flail and suffocate in their analogue world of diminishing opportunity. Policy-making is reactive and panicky, expedient and reversible. Those notionally in power are choking under a brutal scrutiny.

Small BBC budgets, of course, helped shape the spaces. Director Armando Iannucci and producer Adam Tandy have always improvised locations. The first series (now nailed historically by computer monitors the size of packing crates) was shot in a former brewery. A lot of bollocking and hiding takes places behind closed doors. We see hapless minister Hugh Abbott, played by the brilliant Chris Langham, eating biscuits in a pantry. Or tracked down by Tucker to his forlorn hiding place in a chair storeroom. At one point in the scene, Abbott even puts his head inside a cupboard.

And series one established the classic Iannucci "back seat of the car" shot. Ministers and aides wedged in like terrified backbenchers under a three-line whip, desperately trying to pull soundbites out of thin air. It's a motif that continues into series four with an incredibly bad-tempered row between Mannion and his colleagues about how best to appear publicly concerned over something he didn't give a shit about half an hour earlier.

In series two, largely shot in the BBC's own hideous media centre, DoSAC became part of a "ministerial hub". The characters were now spatially, literally in transparent government. Glass walls and clear sightlines through the communal open-plan office made it harder to hide from Tucker. Actually, the most farcical element of the building – a huge, overscaled staircase that has the effect of shrinking everyone on it to the size of a child – came into its own in series three. New minister Nicola Murray had to use the stairs because she had a fear of confined spaces and famously ("See you, you're an omnishambles") couldn't get in a lift. In the new series, Murray has a meltdown in an inter-city train vestibule. It's funny, but also almost unbearable to watch as the peerless Rebecca Front, who has publicly and bravely talked about claustrophobia, channels her own anxiety.

In the past we've seen Olly Reeder cornered by Tucker in a toilet, John Duggan terrorised by Tucker in a bathroom, Glen Cullen assaulted by Tucker in a narrow hotel corridor. Nicola and Mannion and Richard Bacon in the radio studio, while the control booth teems with advisers. And this theme – lack of space, no room for manoeuvre – flows through the new series, perhaps most strikingly in the public inquiry scenes. Trapped in the witness chair, caught in the gaze of TV cameras, at the mercy of harsh inquisitors, our characters are in a familiar crisis.

They've run out of time, and out of space.

Ian Martin is a writer for The Thick of It.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/26/the-thick-of-it-secret-of-success
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtJVXcuHssI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RtJVXcuHssI</a>
AHA!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »
When does the new series start?

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »
When does the new series start?

A week Saturday, 9.45pm.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »
I just saw the trailer on BBC2, i cannot wait for this.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »
I cannot wait for this to start again. Amazing.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »

Hurray! Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since the last series.

Looks like the great Roger Allam will be more prominent this series -  he's got Nicola Murray's old job at DoSAC.  He's such a good character and actor.
Nicola Murray's becomes Leader of the Opposition.  Seems a bit far-fetched: Labour would never elect someone as hopeless and out-of-touch as...

..Eh? Oh. Nevermind.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
can't wait, just re-watched series 3 over the weekend
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2012, 11:56:56 pm »
yes almost wet myself seeing that trailer
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 3, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »
Counting down the days...

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #253 on: September 4, 2012, 04:29:15 pm »
Just finished watching all three series' and extra's. Fucking genius.
Love it.
Not sure whether to wait for them all to air and watch them concurrently or not ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #255 on: September 6, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
Yay, cannot wait for this
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #256 on: September 6, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »
Is this back this Saturday? Great news, ill make sure to sky plus this tonight.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #257 on: September 6, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »
Is that bloke that got done going to be in it?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #258 on: September 6, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »

He hasn't been in since series 1. This is series 4 coming up.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 6, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »
I hope Malcolm is still central to most of the action. Trailers seem a bit light on his presence.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #260 on: September 7, 2012, 12:15:36 am »

You mean the pedo?
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 8, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »
here goes then!

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #262 on: September 8, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
As good as ever.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #263 on: September 8, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »
Was good, too much Phil though, never been fond of that character. At least he previously had Ollie to bounce off.
AHA!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #264 on: September 8, 2012, 10:24:29 pm »
You used a lot of words. It was like a Will Self lecture.

Brilliant.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #265 on: September 8, 2012, 10:24:33 pm »
I hope its not going to be 1 episode Coalition/ 1 episode opposition.
I need my regular hit of Malcolm.
He brings so much to the table - after all there's only do much material you can make out of Terri and Glenn's uselessness.
I do love Peter Mannion though.

Offline gerrardisgod

• Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #266 on: September 8, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »
I hope its not going to be 1 episode Coalition/ 1 episode opposition.
It is for the first four episodes, then they intersperse.
AHA!

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Thick of It
« Reply #267 on: September 9, 2012, 12:35:14 am »
"He took the morning off when Steve Jobs died"
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #268 on: September 9, 2012, 06:12:43 am »
Very good if not hitting the heights of the previous series.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: September 9, 2012, 09:30:23 am »
It was good, but needs more Malcolm! Looking forward to the next episode.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 9, 2012, 09:39:45 am »
Just watched it on iPlayer. It was good although not as good as the first episodes of previous series'. With Malcolm more present in the next episodes, hopefully we see a return to top form.

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #271 on: September 9, 2012, 10:40:45 am »
welcomed back with much excitement in our  house and cant wait till the return of Tucker next week.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #272 on: September 9, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »
The only genuine laugh out loud moment was the "I'm going for a twix" line, for me.

Well written though, if not hilarious.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #273 on: September 9, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »
"Consider yourself redundant... the rest of us do" ;D

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 9, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »
"I hate schoolchildren. They've volatile and stupid and they haven't got the vote. I might aswell be talking to fucking Geese!"
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #275 on: September 9, 2012, 04:39:34 pm »
The app speech in the school had me cringing in my seat.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 9, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
Great to see this back, really strong first episode.

Also noticed that Iannucci wrote none of the episode and the head writer was Will Smith.
No time for caution.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #277 on: September 9, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »
Yes really enjoyed it. Loved Mannion squirming with Raj
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 9, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »
Fibre optic Fagin
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 9, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »
Thought it was a good return, looking forward to next weeks episode.

Was good, too much Phil though, never been fond of that character. At least he previously had Ollie to bounce off.

Love Phil, or rather I love that everyone takes the piss out of him.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.