Author Topic: Dockers nicknames.  (Read 14062 times)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
Dockers nicknames.
« on: September 27, 2003, 08:04:35 pm »
Over the years, thousands of men have worked on the Docks of Liverpool. One thing all of these people had in common was that each one recieved a Nickname soon after he started work.

These names were born from a mans actions, the way he dressed or things he said.

ABE..ABE Says " What are you waiting for now."
AL CAPONE Where's the gang?
BATMAN  Can't leave without Robbin.
BEAU PEEP This poor docker lost his consignment of frozen sheep (which, unbeknown to him, had been off loaded and stored in the wrong area) and went looking for them asking every one "I've lost me sheep, has anyone seen me sheep"?
BIG BEN  Worked while the strike was on.
CASSIUS CLAY Where's the gloves.
CINDERALLA Always leaves at five to twelve.
DAY OLD CHICKS Name given to new dockes.
DIESEL Says, " Diesel do for our kid,diesel do fer me ma."
DOCTOR BERNARD Says, "What no overtime? Boss, have a heart."
DONKEY LEGS Simply because he had long legs.  
DR JEKYLL I need a change.
DULUX The Docker who wore a long old Army Greatcoat down to his ankles, was called 'Dulux' as one coat covered all.
EDDIE CALVERT Lets have a blow.
FILL THE COT Married ten years, eleven kids.
FILL THE PRAM His wife gave birth every year.
GUY FAWKES Says, "This ship wants blowin up."
HAPPY FAMILIES Cos he kept coming into work with black eyes and tales of arguments with his wife.
HIGH NOON Always used to say 'I'm shooting at twelve'
HOOK & EYE Went around asking, "Who can I borrow a quid off."
HUSH PUPPIES Cos nobody ever heard him getting into the containers.
LINO Always on the floor.
LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD Always going to his Granma's for tea.  
MAID MARION Two nights will save me.
MINTS ....cos he never arrived till after eight...!!
RAZOR BLADE Always after a 7 o'clock.
ROBERT MITCHUM Cos he always walked about with his coat slung over his shoulder , smokin a ciggy.
SAMMY THE SEAL I think I'll float.
SELL THE BED Always on nights.
SINGLE BERT HUMPTHECHINK There was a guy who worked down the southend docks called Bert. When anyone started talking about their wives or kids Bert would always say
" I'm a single man myself" So he got called 'Single Bert'. Bert lived near the Chinatown district of Liverpool where he met and started courting a chinese girl. He soon got this girl pregnant whereupon he got the nickname 'Single Bert Humpthechink'. Honestly!  
STANLEY MATHEWS " I'll take this corner"
SWAN VESTAS Always on strike.
THE ALTER BOY Always with THE BISHOP.
THE BALDY RABBIT Lend us a tenner, I've lost me fare.  
THE BALLERINA So I turned round, and I told him.....  
THE BALLOON or LEAD BALLOON Always said to his mates, "Don't let me down lads."
THE BAT Always on nights.
THE BIRD DOCTOR This larks finished.
THE BISHOP Aways saying, "God bless you boys."  
THE BROKEN BOOMERANG He never comes back.
THE BROKEN GLOBE We won't get a light out of this.
THE CASEBALL Always getting laced.
THE CAT Whilst lookig for his dad, he shouted down a hatch, "Is me owl man down there?" ( Think about it )  
THE CLERGYMAN Never has Sunday off.
THE CONTENTED CHEF When he was asked for help, always said,"I've gorrenuff on me plate."
THE CORONATION KID She'll crown me when I get home.
THE COWARD Wore a yellow roadworks jacket which had several holes in the back.  
THE CUCKOO Because he used to look out of the Police hut every hour, on the hour.
THE DESTROYER Always looking for a sub.
THE DRUNKEN OVERCOAT Got his name cos he had that much robbed gear in his coat he used to just about stagger out of the gate every night.
THE FRACTURED FAIRY Always said,"Yews must think i fell off a Christmas tree."
THE GHOST Always moaning.
THE GOOD SHEPHERD A docker who worked on the New Zealand boats was called 'The Good Shepherd', he took a little lamb home every night.
THE IDIOT FROM LYDIATE Doesn't need explaining
THE JELLY Heard saying, "If I cac just get some more overtime, I'll be set".
THE JUDGE Always wanted to open a case.
THE LAZY SOLICITOR Always sitting on a case.
THE LENIENT JUDGE One docker made it his sole occupation to tell the other dockers when it was the right time to release the guy ropes by shouting, "Let that guy go!"  
THE LOBSTER Heard saying, "I've got to go home, one of my nippers is bad."
THE LONDON FOG Never lifts.
THE LONLEY BAKER Just me and me tart.
THE MAN FROM PLANET X Says, " What on Earth is this all about."
THE MAN IN BLACK Always going to a funeral.
THE MANGY CAT Kicked out of every yard on the docks.  
THE MIDWIFE Always on delivery.
THE MIRROR Heard saying, "What you do reflects on me."
THE PARK KEEPER Mind the swing men.
THE PIANO Because everybody played on him.
THE QUIET MAN This guy was warned he would be given a nickname if he said something unusual. He did'nt say a thing for two weeks.
THE RELUCTANT PLUMBER Won't do a tap.
THE SHERIFF Heard saying, "Where's the hold-up."
THE SICK LOBSTER Says, " I'm goin ome, me nippers are bad."
THE SICK PIGEON Is always in the loft.
THE SPACEMAN Is always going to Ma(r)s for his dinner.
THE SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR This young docker married the daughter of a cranky old sod of a ships boss.
THE STORM LAMP He never goes out.
THE STUNNED MULLET He wouldn't come out for the hook.
THE SURGEON Has everyone in stitches.
THE SWORDSMAN An electric truck driver was called the swordsman because of his offer to walking Dockers.."Jump on lads, I'll run you through!"
THE UNDERTAKER Says, "Lay them out over there."
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER This guy was a "day old chick" and was wearing kharki. One of the older dockers told this lad to shape up as the job would pay a bonus. He turned to the old docker and said, " But I'm not known." Hence the name.
THE VICAR Heard shouting down the hatch, "'ay men."
THE VIRGIN I've never done this before.
THE WEIGHT LIFTER  Waits while you lift.
THE WET MATCH Never strikes.
THE WHITE HUNTER Always looking for 6 good skins.
THE WIDOW Always saying, "I 'aven't gorra man."
THROMBOSIS A bloody clot alwats causing problems.
VAN GOGH Whenever asked for something, shouted "I've got one 'ere."
WEDDING CAKE  Every time he was asked to do some overtime, he always had a wedding to go to.  
WONDERMAN As he unloaded the crates he always muttered, " I wonder what's in this one."
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Walton_Gary

• Legacy Fan
Re:Dockers nicknames.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 08:31:57 pm »
Brilliant that robbie, laughed me head off at a few of them!

Me grandad's party piece was always to tell the nicknames of the dockers to everyone at parties etc about stanley matthews, the quiet man etc but me favourite story was the blue goose and fowl pest having a fight, someone shouted over 'who's winning' and the fella watching down the hatch said 'i dont know, there feathers everywhere!'

Me dad has told me some stories from those docks and ive cried laughing, they must of had a fucking scream working there!

Great post
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 08:36:35 pm by Bootle_Gary »

Offline Walton_Gary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 08:39:23 pm »
Beau peep was my favourite, i wonder if either of me grandads are on that list

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 09:04:11 pm »
top post
me granda and me uncles were all at Cammelairds - bloody disgrace the history of that place closing
Yep.

Roddysul

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 09:22:46 pm »
My Grandad worked on the docks and ended up in the river twice. First time he was pissed on duty, saw a foreman coming and tried to nonchalantly lean against the side of the ship del-boy style thinking it was nearer than it was........splash.
Second time he jumped in to save a drowning man and was given an award by the "Humane and Shipwreck Society" for saving his life. On finding out that he'd saved an Evertonian Orangeman he was heard to say "If I'd know that I'd have let the bastard drown"

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 11:43:24 pm »
Me Dad loved Cassius Clay, he thought he was the bees's knee's.

In the 60's Liverpool was very racalist, it was the way we were brought up. Its hero's like Cassius Clay that fortunately helped destory this rubbish.

Me Dad loved John Barnes, sublime skill, I suppose at the end of the day, we should consider ourselves fortunite that we listened to our parents, and we taught them something along the way.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
Re: Dockers nicknames.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 08:38:23 pm »
HIGH NOON Always used to say 'I'm shooting at twelve'  ;D like that one
THE DRUNKEN OVERCOAT Got his name cos he had that much robbed gear in his coat he used to just about stagger out of the gate every night.

Thats got to be Kristian in the Albert pre-match bottles in his coat :)

Just clocked this searching for bad lads army and was on that search
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 08:40:13 pm »
CLASS POST THAT MATE! :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin

Offline Dr. Funs Doll

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool are magic Everton are tragic
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 09:30:38 pm »
quality
THE LIVERPOOL BOYS ARE IN TOWN   ..na na na nanananana..............

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:54:41 pm »
There was a guy called The Sword Swallower because he used to mix all his roast dinner together, cut it into slices, slide his knife under each slice and slide the slice down his throat.

Mr May's cousin Billy was a docker and used to come out with these all the time.  Sadly we've forgotten most of them now. 

Brilliant stuff Motty darlin'  :-*   I'm definately printing this thread out and keeping it.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 11:44:45 am »
Absolutely astonished The WOOLYBACK never made the list.
Contrary to it's current use, it was a common name on the docks.

Have been looking into my Grandfathers knickname from the docks YANA (Yanner), Peter and Frank Brodrick were both prize fighters & Cloggers. They were called Yana & Little Yana. But cannot find origins.
I'm coming to the conclusion my Nan must have started it, as perhaps it meant
You Are Never Around.

Other Knicknames from Garston Docks
Clipper
Cannai
Cadge
Dodger
Diver
Tucker
Nijinski
Gasher
Gusher
Gimp
Dont know the meanings of half of them, but
Home and Away, was a Particularly cruel name for a fella who eyes looked in opposite directions (opposite of cross eyed)
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 12:12:58 pm »
Crackin post ;D

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 10:45:39 pm »
I posted one in 2001 about Liverpool slang words, can't find it now. Some of the old sayings where not PC correct by todays standards but they made you think about the reasoning why people used them.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 11:03:36 pm »
We used to love cousin Billy's stories.  A lot of which would cause uproar among the po-faced brigade of today.  Mind you, he was a right bugger for getting things through the gate.  When we were saving up to get married it was very hard going to put money aside and buy bits and pieces to put away.  He said he'd get us some plates and stuff.  He ended up smuggling an entire dinner service through just on his body,and that included a huge meat plate, big serving dishes and a massive soup tureen.  :o ;D

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 11:15:48 pm »
two blokes i worked with were called the poets because they always went home early on friday night, in a firm were working long (unpaid) extra hours was seen as good.

Puzzled me for ages until I got "poets" explained - piss off early tomorrows Saturday!
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline newbrightontower

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 11:19:46 pm »
Jeez 7 Oclock razor blades.  I used to have to go to the shop to buy one for my dad.  One note, not a pack of five.  Happy days.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 11:29:36 pm »
One lad lost control of his forklift cargo and the whole lot, truck and all, went into the dock.  It was a shipment of soap powder.  The packets burst and as a result of the extertions to recover the driver, the truck and anything remaining of the cargo, the dock was a mass of soap suds.  The driver was for ever after known as Omo.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 11:24:57 am »
My great Grandfather Billy worked on the docks in the early 1900's
His wife ran a shop and a soup kitchen in Garston on Old Bill's take home.

My nan (still alive) says it was the best stocked shop in Garston.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2005, 11:35:28 am »
Perry Mason..........always said "I'll take this case"

Made me laugh anyway  ;D
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Numma

• Main Stander
  • This is Anfield, this is my Church
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 11:38:23 am »
I nearly chocked when I read the Alter boy after seeing the Bishop
Great post Robbie

Funny how names evolve
We had a dog once with no tongue, we called him smelly balls

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 03:54:35 pm »
just found this thread looking for something else,i work with a couple of ex-dockers and the names and stories are great,a few names-the angry cat-had a hunched back, the timid fish-was afraid of the hook, fire and water-got suspended for smoking and pissing in barred sheds, anan-stuttered(ananan im gggggoing out). told me one story about a fella robbing liquid mercury, and to get it out he took his bike seat off and poured it into the frame and walked out the gates, the bike was that heavy it fell on him and he couldn,t get it off until 3 of his mates went past. another one was they tapped a barrel in the hold and tasted alcohol so the started drinking it,only to find out later it contained a baboon preserved in alcohol being sent to the uni to be studied.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:57:32 pm by only5nights To Chrimbo »
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59:53 pm »
What about the docker who was called Napoleon because whenever he was asked if he wanted to work late he always said "not tonight"

My dad worked down at the docks and knew a docker they called the Big Bad Wolf for his habit of banging on warehouse doors and shouting at the watchman "let me come in"
Legacy fan

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 04:04:29 pm »
I work for a shipping company, so good read that  ;D
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Scally McBeal

• Legacy Fan
  • I fought the law and the law won
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 04:09:07 pm »
This thread has just made me cry - our Grandad, who died recently, used to tell all the stories of the nicknames of the people he worked with on the docks. I never got to the bottom of whether he had a nickname himself and now I guess we'll never know. He knew loads of the above first hand.

On a slightly depressing note, my Grandad died of asbestos-related lung cancer called mesothelioma, directly linked to the exposure these men had during their time working for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company. When he was in hospital, the bloke in the next bed was someone he had worked with, who had the same thing. I wonder how many of the above men have suffered the same fate. The company knew, from the 60s onwards, that they were exposing the workers to these risks and even try to deny that some of those who claim against them now ever worked for them. The nicknames above do something to demonstrate what fantastic, well-humoured, hard-working men they were and they certainly deserved better.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 04:22:40 pm »
This thread has just made me cry - our Grandad, who died recently, used to tell all the stories of the nicknames of the people he worked with on the docks. I never got to the bottom of whether he had a nickname himself and now I guess we'll never know. He knew loads of the above first hand.

On a slightly depressing note, my Grandad died of asbestos-related lung cancer called mesothelioma, directly linked to the exposure these men had during their time working for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company. When he was in hospital, the bloke in the next bed was someone he had worked with, who had the same thing. I wonder how many of the above men have suffered the same fate. The company knew, from the 60s onwards, that they were exposing the workers to these risks and even try to deny that some of those who claim against them now ever worked for them. The nicknames above do something to demonstrate what fantastic, well-humoured, hard-working men they were and they certainly deserved better.
me arl fellas mate died of the same thing-tragic,he was 64 but looked about 100 years old.as for the dockers they were also some of the best tea-leaves ever.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 11:01:52 pm »
Chocolate teapot=About as much use as.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 01:48:12 am »
Chocolate teapot=About as much use as.
that and chocolate fireguard... ;D

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »
Me mate has just told me of a checker on Garston docks who was known as "Nappy rash" because that was the only thing he hadn't used to go on the sick.

The nicknames couldn't be blatant as in one fella was called Dewhurst but "The Butcher" was to blatant to use and he revelled in having no nickname. One day Dewhurst was on the back of a flat bed truck which lurched forward and he toppled off.
The other dockers ran over and he said "I'm ok" only to hear the shout of. "Stolen goods" to which he replied "BASTARD!!!"

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 03:54:52 pm »
Over ten years old this thread, glad it was bumped though. Hilarious OP which really gives you an insight into the character of the dockers.

THE CONTENTED CHEF When he was asked for help, always said,"I've gorrenuff on me plate."

THE JELLY Heard saying, "If I cac just get some more overtime, I'll be set".

THE SPACEMAN Is always going to Ma(r)s for his dinner.

;D

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 04:05:04 pm »
Tins of Salmon were known as  "The Devils fish" because even the most devout churchgoing dockers would rob them.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »
The Undertaker. - He never stops coughin'