Author Topic: England For 2002?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
England For 2002?
« on: August 31, 2001, 05:48:06 am »
I know that some of you's can't really be arsed with the National side but what do you thinks Englands chances are against your old foe on Saturday??? and win or lose, how many of you actually care about England qualifying for 2002? If England do make it will you be supporting the teams as a whole or just the Reds of the team?

Anybody living elsewhere got any thoughts on THIER sides prospects for 2002?

Just curious.

Me, I've got a feeling New Zealand won't be there...
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline alana

• Loveable Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hope some day you will join us......
Re: England For 2002?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2001, 07:45:34 am »
I have to admit i dont give a shit about england If the qualify for 2002 then I'll be happy for the liverpool players in the squad.

personally I'd rather they don't qualify that way 7(?) of our players get a decent holiday and be ready for the 2002/3 season. AFter all 5 of them are first teamers.

Oh and i think with Gerrard in midfield we've got a great chance of winning on sat.

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2001, 08:50:37 am »
I know for sure that Wales won't be there :'( :'(

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2001, 02:45:06 pm »
I know for sure England won't be there !
And I'm not so sure about Holland neither !
But my love is with club football, so I don't care ! :wave:

Offline Pat

• Anny Roader
  • Errrrrrrrrrrrrm
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2001, 03:06:33 pm »
I think Ingerland could well win it tomorrow and I'll watch the game on the telly, but I don't really care what happens.

I'll just be happy for our boys if they do well - but I'll also be spending the whole match worrying in case Stevie, Mikey, or any of our other players (even Didi) gets injured.

Mind you, if Didi scores against Ingerland again I'd probably be a bit naffed off - but only because he doesn't score enough for us!

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2001, 04:05:09 pm »
Yeah, I've got a hunch England will win, either way whatever...yeah, I hope none of the lads get injured too, that would be a bummer, especially with Aston Villa coming up who won't exactly be push overs.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2001, 04:07:16 pm »
Although i really couldnt care less about England on Saturday (and will be in work so i won't even be watching for 90 minutes of mild diversion), i have a sneaking feeling that England will win by the odd goal, i have visions of Stevie G scoring a screamer too. One things for sure though, Gerrard and Beckham are a very very very very good midfield combo, so come one Beckham you publicity seeking ass clown, come and sign for the only Mighty Reds in England!!

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2001, 05:00:06 pm »
It's a double edged sword.I too would love our players to have a proper close season rest and don't care that much about England.But our boy's want to play on the big stage(only natural) and it will be slightly more interesting to see how England perform against the big boys at the World Cup.Just as it would be interesting to see the Welsh.Irish or Scots there for the same reasons.

The biggest problem I've had with England up until the last four years was the teams "London centricness" (is there such a word?)They never played an international outside Wembley until recently.Players from London teams were always invariably capped first(How else would Neil Ruddock have ever become an international centre half if he hadn't  played for Venebles at Spurs or socilaised at Scribes?)The other problem is that our players always got a raw deal when playing for the national sides. John Barnes and those racist twats.Keegan was pilloried before him and "King Kenny" for Scotland was always accused of trying harder for his club than his country.Hansen criminally overlooked in favour of McLeish or Miller.Much the same with Gary Mac now and Michael Owen when he doesn't score two goals a game.The trouble is Liverpool have always supplied important pivitol players to the national teams.Hunt.Keegan.Owen.Rush.Dalglish.Barnes.Steven Gerrard at the moment.So when things go pear-shaped.These are the players who are made scapegoats.So I have very little affinity with England,save to say that I hope our lads do well and come back injury free.Unlike "Digger" who was never the same player after snapping his achilles against Norway in a friendly and couldn't play for Liverpool for eight months.

It was funny watching the last Germany game in the pub.When Didi scored that goal,all these "Ingurland face painters" started lobbing bottles at the big screen and then random fights broke out amongst themselves,while I was in fits laughing as I'm Didi's biggest fan.(This was a pub in Hull by the way,not Liverpool.)It was fascinating  watching the "cream of the nation" implode and self mutilate itself in front of my very eyes.A real case study for someone like Desmond Morris.

Offline GavBelfast

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2001, 04:56:49 pm »
Like the Welsh, Northern Ireland won't be there either.  Unlike the Welsh, we're already mathematically certain of our absence!

Seriously, it's better for our players to be there - if they are at a loose end next summer, thinking of what might have been, that won't do a lot for their spirits.  The World Cup Finals next year are relatively early in the summer, so there will be time for rest afterwards.  

A successful international side is probably beneficial to us - much of the core of our side is still English, after all.  And if our forwards get the nod, in whatever combination, and perform well, that can only do the Liverpool cause good.

Just knock 1966 on the head, will you?!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2001, 05:08:46 pm »
It will be a good game to watch!  :o Hope all our players come out without any injuries.

This game will highlight Gerrard's abilities to the world, for the first time in the England team. I know he has played before, but I think this is different. Germany v England is the biggest game of the day. Every country will show some pictures from this one. If Stevie plays like he always does, expect some interest from a number of clubs next week...

:no: "He's going nowhere!"  :no:  ;D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline alana

• Loveable Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hope some day you will join us......
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2001, 07:22:53 pm »
I have to admit I don't really care whether England win loose or draw against the Krauts. If there are a few Liverpool players in the starting line up (which there are bound to be). then it will be a good excuse to go the pub. I won't be cheering unless its for a defence splitting pass by Stevie G, a goal by Owen, Fowler or Heskey or a goal line clearence or last minute tackle by Jamie C (who prob won't play). Maybe I'll give a little smile for Stevie Mac if he plays. Its not that I have anything against other teams players I mean I know how much class Becks has (as much as I hate to admit it  :puke:), its just the fact that they play for the team that I adore and worship.

All that matters to me is that all our internationals whether they be German, English, Finnish, Dutch, Czech, Croatian, Swiss, Norweigen, Polish and whatever nationality I have missed out return from international duty with a clean bill of health. That way we can field our strongest team on Sat against Villa and hopefully bag 3 points.

Offline MJN

• Main Stander
  • 2nd best defender to ever play 4 us
« Reply #11 on: September 2, 2001, 05:01:18 pm »
England fans always do this. After a class result we get carried away. Eg were defiantly going to win the world cup. It was the same after the holland game in 96.

They will get to the quarters and maybe a semi but no better

The teams to watch out for will be France   Italy   and Argentina

Offline Gojedo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2001, 11:48:57 am »
Would like to see portugal do well. They'll be there.

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2001, 01:21:20 pm »
MJN, I think England fans will only get excited if they start reading the bullshit tabloid papers. You can be sure that we are the greatest team in the world in the eyes of the S*n, the Mirror and the Star. If we scrape a 1-0 will against Albania on Weds, or even draw?? Well, we'll obviously be crap again.

My own view sort of relects what Owen was saying on Sunday, that if we get to 2002 we should expect to do ok and hope for something better. For 2006 we really should be looking to win in. Now we have a manager who know how to prepare a team.....and more importantly a nucleus of young talented players theres no excuse for not putting up a challenge. I think we have a great chance looking at the team we had on Saturday there was only really the defense that looked a problem, but given time you'd expect this to improve.

Offline MJN

• Main Stander
  • 2nd best defender to ever play 4 us
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2001, 03:35:40 pm »
The only problem with the 2006 world cup hoonin is that I don’t think sven will be the manager then.

He said himself he won’t be with eng too long, and if you look at his management over the past, he never stays at 1 job too long.

Before he retires though I think he will take the Sweden job

hoonin

« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2001, 03:52:24 pm »
You're right, he'll be long gone before that. At a push we may keep him for the nexy Euros if all goes well. The thing is its not all about Eriksson, a lot of changes have happened at the FA in the last few years, if that hadn't have occured would we ever have gone for Eriksson?.

Hopefully he will leave us in good shape and a suitable English coach will have been with him long enough to take over and keep the progression going (assuming we keep progressing!) At this moment in time you have to say that someone like Peter Taylor or Steve Mclaren are being groomed for that job. I'm not saying these are good or bad choices, its way to early to say that.....but its encouraging to see the FA looking that far in advance.

Offline valley_kop_01

• Main Stander
  • Why do i look like this every saturday morning?
    • The best Liverpool site
« Reply #16 on: September 4, 2001, 12:23:35 am »

I know for sure that Wales won't be there :'( :'(

we'll be there in spirit singing in the rice fields!!!
The more i learn i find the less i know?

Offline Andy M

• Kopite
  • I used to be Maudster
« Reply #17 on: September 4, 2001, 02:38:03 pm »

If there are a few Liverpool players in the starting line up (which there are bound to be). then it will be a good excuse to go the pub. I won't be cheering unless its for a defence splitting pass by Stevie G, a goal by Owen, Fowler or Heskey or a goal line clearence or last minute tackle by Jamie C (who prob won't play).

So I guess you were cheering quite a bit then  ;D
Libpool,Libpool!