Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 286528 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1000 on: October 2, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »
Watching the Louis Theroux Saville follow up documentary

A bit hard to watch with the creepy arl fucker and descriptions of the abuse

The lady towards the end...heartbreaking

I loved the part when the victim turned the Interview on Theroux "Do you think he also groomed you?"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #1001 on: October 3, 2016, 01:42:26 am »
Yes, difficult to watch at times, and she really moved me, and also nailed the issue "he mugged you off Louis" summed it up. Savile mugged a lot of people off.

Not ashamed to say I actually shed a tear at the end where she was describing the lengths she'd go to to try prevent the abuse. That any person, never mind a child, should ever have to deal with that breaks my fucking heart.

Terrific as always from Theroux.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1002 on: October 4, 2016, 02:30:06 am »
Watching the Louis Theroux Saville follow up documentary

A bit hard to watch with the creepy arl fucker and descriptions of the abuse

The lady towards the end...heartbreaking

Anyone any idea if I can watch this online? BBC iPlayer doesn't work in Ireland.

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #1003 on: October 4, 2016, 03:24:58 am »
Anyone any idea if I can watch this online? BBC iPlayer doesn't work in Ireland.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1_fqdaAuec?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/n1_fqdaAuec?fs=1</a>

Here you go mate.
They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1004 on: October 4, 2016, 04:27:58 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1_fqdaAuec?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/n1_fqdaAuec?fs=1</a>

Here you go mate.

Cheers pal. I actually got the iPlayer to work with my VPN and I just finished. Oh my God. I watched that right after the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix it's now half 4 in the morning and my brain is well and truly fried.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1005 on: October 4, 2016, 04:37:46 am »
Cheers pal. I actually got the iPlayer to work with my VPN and I just finished. Oh my God. I watched that right after the Amanda Knox documentary on Netflix it's now half 4 in the morning and my brain is well and truly fried.
that daily mail journo at the end of the Amanda Knox documentary talking about how it wasn't a trial by media and not fact checking in case he missed a scoop to a rival, fucking wanker of a man

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1006 on: October 4, 2016, 08:50:44 am »
that daily mail journo at the end of the Amanda Knox documentary talking about how it wasn't a trial by media and not fact checking in case he missed a scoop to a rival, fucking wanker of a man

What a prick, if he was ice cream, he'd lick himself

'I'm not saying I'm in the same category and Woodward and Bernstein' (which is actually what he IS saying)

He loved seeing his name on the front page apparently- wonder if he would enjoy seeing 'Nick Pis(a-shit) the racist paedo who doesn't pay his tax may have been responsible for JFK, genocide in Cambodia and the kardashians - according to a source'

(none of the above is true to my knowledge and only there to illustrate the point of his rampant hypocrisy and that of print media in general)

A real celebration of good old British Journalism....hypocritical bottom feeding gutter twat

Maybe he'll have some kind of revelation that perhaps his methods and general attitude could be readjusted, on the other hand - look where he now works(or writes for)

Utter thundercunt
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 09:54:27 am by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #1007 on: October 4, 2016, 10:11:46 am »
Well done to Louis Theroux, he basically made a documentary about his greatest failure and exposed himself with a few of the hits he took.

There was a bit of a former Nazi concentration camp guard vibe off Savile's assistant. She was completely unwilling to except what had happened and in ways it is understandable. As you get older it must be crushing to come to terms with the best years of your lives being propped up by something sinister.

I remember watching the original show long before his death and I'm trying to remember what I thought of it. Much like Louis I probably came out of it with more questions them answers. How did he do it, it was like a magic trick.

Bloody hell though when he rocked up to BBC studies wearing a string vest and a pair of shorts, he should have be arrested for that alone the massive creep.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1008 on: October 4, 2016, 10:44:37 am »
Louis Theroux brilliant once again. When they left the camera rolling after Louis had gone to bed and Savile was ranting about locking lads away at his nightclub etc was pretty chilling.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1009 on: October 4, 2016, 09:05:55 pm »
'Rubble Kings' on iPlayer. Fantastic documentary about how hip-hop helped end the 'apocalyptic' levels of gang violence in New York in the 1970s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07vxmxw/rubble-kings
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1010 on: October 4, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »
Clinton Cash   :mindblown

Just a staggering Docu...
Clinton Cash: The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Businesses Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich
It's here on youtube.. but if it's removed just google it.. & click video at the top..  :wave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYRUOd_QoM

or watch here..
http://www.breitbart.com/clinton-cash-movie/

Perhaps the fact that it's on Breitbart suggests it may be a leeetle bit biased? Reading up it seems that quite a lot of the claims are exaggerated or inaccurate.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1011 on: October 4, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »
Perhaps the fact that it's on Breitbart suggests it may be a leeetle bit biased? Reading up it seems that quite a lot of the claims are exaggerated or inaccurate.

I agree... still compelling viewing though.. hopefully in the main there is some truth,   ..  'how do you know a politictian is lying'   .. 'Their lips are moving'  ;)
Also if you google you can find the 15 points that prove it's true... or untrue...  ;D
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #1012 on: October 5, 2016, 12:00:31 am »
Well done to Louis Theroux, he basically made a documentary about his greatest failure and exposed himself with a few of the hits he took.

Was a touch too self critical really in my opinion - his style is very much to earn trust from someone, so they let their guard down and reveal interesting things. Savile was never going to reveal any of his behaviour, and came off as creepy which was about as good as Louis was going to get. His documentaries also weren't quite as hard hitting in the early 90s as the more serious ones he does now.

Also, apparently he reported to the BBC that one of the two women who contacted him after the broadcast saying she'd been a 'girlfriend' told him she was 15, but nothing came of it - this came out in the subsequent report but Louis didn't mention it in this doc.

Online eddiedingle

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1013 on: October 5, 2016, 08:30:31 pm »
Therouxs Scientology docu availiable in usual places.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1014 on: October 5, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »
Therouxs Scientology docu availiable in usual places.

Just stuck it on looking forward to it.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1015 on: October 5, 2016, 09:43:05 pm »
'Rubble Kings' on iPlayer. Fantastic documentary about how hip-hop helped end the 'apocalyptic' levels of gang violence in New York in the 1970s.

Thanks for the heads up Alan, downloading now.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1016 on: October 5, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »
Just stuck it on looking forward to it.

I enjoyed it love the whole road closed part "we have permit" but I felt sorry for the young actor.

Some very tense interviews and they came with the person who was helping him.

But in the end I learnt nothing new.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: October 5, 2016, 11:53:24 pm »
But in the end I learnt nothing new.

Agreed. The only part which really made me sit up was Marty's piece at the end.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: October 6, 2016, 01:07:36 am »

What a fantastic Documentry, thanks for putting it up. Little known fact that I was reminded of watching that, in the 80's the busiest Fire Station in the World was in South Bronx and the 2nd and 3rd busiest were West Derby Road and Bankhall in Liverpool that was doing 10,000 calls a year, I was living in Dingle and from our block the walk into town looked like it was straight out of the Bronx, dereliction everywhere, some you tubes of Liverpool in the eighties, you forget how brutal it looked.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: October 6, 2016, 02:25:58 am »
What a prick, if he was ice cream, he'd lick himself

'I'm not saying I'm in the same category and Woodward and Bernstein' (which is actually what he IS saying)

He loved seeing his name on the front page apparently- wonder if he would enjoy seeing 'Nick Pis(a-shit) the racist paedo who doesn't pay his tax may have been responsible for JFK, genocide in Cambodia and the kardashians - according to a source'

(none of the above is true to my knowledge and only there to illustrate the point of his rampant hypocrisy and that of print media in general)

A real celebration of good old British Journalism....hypocritical bottom feeding gutter twat

Maybe he'll have some kind of revelation that perhaps his methods and general attitude could be readjusted, on the other hand - look where he now works(or writes for)

Utter thundercunt

Oh, absolutely! He is just as responsible for this mess as the misogynistic, fanciful police.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1020 on: October 6, 2016, 11:20:45 pm »

Brilliant, Karate Charlie, what a character. As a massive fan of The Warriors I obviously loved it. Might have to see if there are any books on the gang culture around that time. The start with the graffiti laden subway train, just love it.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: October 6, 2016, 11:52:40 pm »
Holy Hell - All about a cult and its charismatic leader who for over 20 years led a group of followers

Fucked up that is. Just really upsetting. Wish i'd not watched it to be honest.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1022 on: October 7, 2016, 01:55:05 am »
Not too sure what to make of Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary if I am honest.

Spoiler

I agree with others that he has become a bit serious of late and a few of his docs seem to be too focussed on his outlook, as oppose to others. I guess this has always been the case, but his Scientology film isn't really a film - in fact, I'm not sure what it is and I'm not even sure he knows what it is.

The crux of what I got from it was that Tom Cruise may have been at the base when some cadets were treated like shit - I assumed that was what they were trying to imply, but they didn't actually have him in the hole. It also tried to make Marty Rathbun out as a hypocrite - which it kind of did, if you take into account his reaction to Louis' questioning. Pressed about him being an intricate mechanic of the many tactics that they use, Rathbun went on the attack, which as we know, is the best form of defence. However, it really did feel as though Louis was attacking him as a person - and that was a little distasteful to see and I can only point to Louis' frustration as the cause of that. It is as if (as someone else has already mentioned) Louis thought he was going to get some big meat on something that hadn't come out.

Further to this, I also don't buy that Rathbun wasn't 'paid' for his participation - anyone worth their salt knows that there are more creative ways of 'compensating' a participant for his or her participation. If Rathbun hadn't in some way or another had motivation to do this, then why the hell would he do it? To 'get back' at Miscavige? To further his career? I just don't buy that one bit.

There was also some strong language used on a number of occasions. There were two strong hints that Marty 'knew were the bodies were buried', now you can take from that what you will, the guy was probably just alluding to the actions of the organisation under his watch - but a few scenes later, there were other snippets of language that further spoke about 'corpses' (or something to that effect). But the final piece of dialogue by Marty was also quite disturbing - talking of Miscavige wanting Marty to do what he wanted (again, I'm paraphrasing) whilst making a gun-like hand signal to his head.

Also, I really didn't like how in one scene, he overdubbed a piece about Marty's past in the organisation - if I was Marty and I had in fact volunteered to do this, then saw that, I would genuinely feel a bit double-crossed. Because it felt as if it shifted more about Marty, than Scientology. The man has probably done some terrible things in the name of Scientology and the chances are, we'll never find out - but I would be very interested to hear his response to this documentary. It was clear at one point that there was some kind of power struggle within the production of the re-creations and you could see it at one point when they applauded L. Ron Hubbard.

Not sure of Louis Theroux's motivations for doing this - but I'll bet that he's had a hard few months over their in L.A (where he is now living) and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw him moving back over here in the near future. I really expected to see something new, something we couldn't find out from Wikipedia. But instead, we got a feature length episode of Weird Weekends, but not as funny... 

It will be interesting to see what he has lined up next - i feel that his act is drawing to a close and I feel that the direction in which he is taking his career will have him ending up as a chat-show host on BBC2. People are obviously sizing him up before they are interviewed by him and his past few documentaries seem to have called him as a film-maker into question.

Not too sure about this one fellas - I found his second trip to the Westboro Baptist Church slightly odd, as well as a second look over Savile...

[close]
Continually on 11,420.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1023 on: October 7, 2016, 12:34:10 pm »
Not too sure what to make of Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary if I am honest.

Spoiler

A few question from me too

It definitely feels like until he was put in the hole he was prepared to do anything but then spat his dummy and went on the offensive.  Disgruntled - definitely and understandably but there didn't appear to be much remorse or  realisation of the karma of the whole thing.

It doesn't add anything for me to what Going Clear did.  Feels like this could have been episodes 1 and 2 to a much wider and in depth story but I guess if the footage or story isn't there, it isn't there

I would have preferred for Louis to go more in depth about where the bodies were buried or what the guy ideally wanted to see.. his intentions weren't entirely clear - The end to Scientology? The removal of the little fella and go back to basics - is he still a believer in the overall message?

Tons of loose ends - overall felt like a long episode of WW yes I agree but almost on half power - The guy who played Miscarriage was ace but the re-enactments and auditions where an interesting vehicle to get the message across but then not much was done with it, better than a straight up re-enactment but at the cost of deeper discussion perhaps

[close]

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #1024 on: October 7, 2016, 04:06:41 pm »

Rubble Kings is excellent, saw it a while ago on Netflix. I also enjoyed Hip Hop World News, which I missed on BBC4 last week. One that must have passed me by when it was first released, but which I caught the other night, was Julien Temple's London: The Modern Babylon. I stark reminder for our recent history, especially apt for these xenophobic times. Still up there now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00smkqn/london-the-modern-babylon?suggid=p00smkqn   

“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1025 on: October 7, 2016, 04:42:10 pm »
Spoiler

A few question from me too

It definitely feels like until he was put in the hole he was prepared to do anything but then spat his dummy and went on the offensive.  Disgruntled - definitely and understandably but there didn't appear to be much remorse or  realisation of the karma of the whole thing.

It doesn't add anything for me to what Going Clear did.  Feels like this could have been episodes 1 and 2 to a much wider and in depth story but I guess if the footage or story isn't there, it isn't there

I would have preferred for Louis to go more in depth about where the bodies were buried or what the guy ideally wanted to see.. his intentions weren't entirely clear - The end to Scientology? The removal of the little fella and go back to basics - is he still a believer in the overall message?

Tons of loose ends - overall felt like a long episode of WW yes I agree but almost on half power - The guy who played Miscarriage was ace but the re-enactments and auditions where an interesting vehicle to get the message across but then not much was done with it, better than a straight up re-enactment but at the cost of deeper discussion perhaps

[close]

Spoiler
On second thoughts now - it was a bit of a mess; I don't think anyone knew what they wanted out of it. It does look like Marty has spat his dummy out because of being sent to the hole and it looks as though he was trying to split off with others and create an independent Scientology church.
[close]
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1026 on: October 7, 2016, 04:44:23 pm »
Just noted that there's a live Q&A screening on Monday night at Cineworld (pretty much all venues) for My Scientology Movie, obviously over some sort of VT. Might be excellent though!

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1027 on: October 7, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »
Spoiler
On second thoughts now - it was a bit of a mess; I don't think anyone knew what they wanted out of it. It does look like Marty has spat his dummy out because of being sent to the hole and it looks as though he was trying to split off with others and create an independent Scientology church.
[close]

Still get that he's a belieber

Imagine being in something for 30 odd years, being one of the top guys - the violence and stalking were not a surprise.  He was so incredulous that Miscarriage had brought his son into this (like fuck...as if he never used peoples relationships-friends-family as leverage)

Other cultists leave because they find out about the sham -like the Holy Hell doc however Marty knew all along what the inside was doing

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1028 on: October 7, 2016, 07:04:54 pm »
13th - documentary on Netflix looking at modern slavery and the industrial incarceration complex

Touches on issues that other popular documentaries like War On Drugs (1999)

Like an updated version, a bit sickening when you have the Clinton saying he made mistakes with 3 strikes etc

Trump being trump but a newer look at ALEC who ostensibly is a club of politicians and companies (google/Walmart amongst them) who heavily influence (and straight up write) legislation in the US

Awful system
« Last Edit: October 7, 2016, 07:07:56 pm by Igor Tripod Biscan »

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: October 8, 2016, 04:18:15 am »
Brilliant, Karate Charlie, what a character. As a massive fan of The Warriors I obviously loved it. Might have to see if there are any books on the gang culture around that time. The start with the graffiti laden subway train, just love it.

It was very entertaining, what a crazy place NYC was back then. The whole narrative of "it was really bad, then we had a peace treaty and it was all love thanks to the music bringing us together" was bollocks though. The murder-by-year numbers don't really support it. Peace treaty was in November 77:

1975    1645
1976    1622
1977    1557
1978    1504
1979    1733
1980    1814
1981    1826
1982    1668
1983    1622
1984    1450
1985    1384
1986    1582
1987    1672
1988    1896
1989    1905
1990    2245
1991    2154

Sidenote, fkng hell @ 1991. I pasted in more years than were relevant just to share that staggering number. 

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1030 on: October 8, 2016, 09:12:46 am »
I lived there in 1990/91. I did go to the Bronx for a church service with a fellow employee who wanted us to see the whole gospel service and a race at Van Courtland park I think it was. Apart from that the furthest I got was 125th street

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1031 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:18 am »
Watching Rubble Kings reminded me of a Documentary called 'Streetwise' about street life in Seattle at a similar period. Its brilliant, brutal and heartbreaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTQgfXb87k

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:58 am »
Thanks - I'll give it a watch.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1033 on: October 10, 2016, 12:18:18 pm »
Fucked up that is. Just really upsetting. Wish i'd not watched it to be honest.

What did you find upsetting? I watched it yesterday and it was basically what I expected in the end. The most bizarre thing was that Michel-guy's obsession with ballet. And the fact that there are so many videos about what was going on within the cult...

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: October 10, 2016, 01:51:55 pm »
Just watched this on Netflix:

From IMDB:

The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats its Young (2015)
In its first 25 years only 10 people have finished The Barkley Marathons. Based on a historic prison escape, this cult like race tempts people from around the world to test their limits of physical and mental endurance in this documentary that contemplates the value of pain.

Would recommend to anyone who enjoys an offbeat documentary. Really enjoyable and still don't know what to make of the race organiser, a jolly bearded gentleman who at first glance seems like a friendly Santa Claus, but on closer interview sort of a sadist Donald Sutherland lookalike .... especially the grin when he talks about people failing the 100 mile race.

Scary, weird and often funny.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1035 on: October 10, 2016, 01:54:14 pm »
That sounds really interesting, will take a look.  Is it on the UK Netflix?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1036 on: October 10, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »
Not to be confused with the Ross Barkley marathons

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: October 10, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
That sounds really interesting, will take a look.  Is it on the UK Netflix?

Yeah

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #1038 on: October 11, 2016, 02:30:13 pm »
Last Chance U on Netflix. 6 part docu-series following the fortunes of a Junior College american football team in Mississippi.

One of the best sports documentaries I've seen. You don't have to be a fan of the sport to enjoy it.

Just been commissioned for a second series as well.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: October 11, 2016, 04:27:42 pm »
Last Chance U on Netflix. 6 part docu-series following the fortunes of a Junior College american football team in Mississippi.

One of the best sports documentaries I've seen. You don't have to be a fan of the sport to enjoy it.

Just been commissioned for a second series as well.

It was good. You should check out All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals currently on Amazon if you liked Last Chance U. I thought it was even better.