Author Topic: Barcelona v Liverpool, Nou Camp, 21/02/07 19:45hrs - CL, all pre match here  (Read 23668 times)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Barcelona v Liverpool, Nou Camp, 21/02/07 19:45hrs - CL, all pre match here
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »
No Eto in squad, Ha
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline neilem

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2007, 07:46:53 pm »
I thought Gonzalez was still unfit?

Think I would have Pennant on to take advantage of Ronaldinho's refusal to track back, I dunno - tough selection choice.

Offline John Cush

• Boys Pen
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:17 pm »
Tend to agree with Ballague that Arbeloa will play, but I don't think Sami will. I think he'll play Arbeloa at right back/right of a back 3, with Stevie Finnan in right midfield/wing back to double on up on Ronnie Dingo. Valencia did the same on Sunday and frustrated him. Forget Gerrard playing on the right, he's our best attacking threat and we need him off the leash not focused on defending for 90 minutes.

I think we'll start with this line up and formation, which can also change quite quickly into a 4-4-2.

Reina

Arbeloa-Carra-Agger

Finnan-Alonso-Momo-Riise

Gerrard

Kuyt  Bellamy

Offline fru

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2007, 07:54:57 pm »
No Eto in squad, Ha

Yeah just heard that myself. Fantastic news. :)

Offline tOrnike

• Anny Roader
    • myspace.com/tornike
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2007, 09:19:16 pm »
Arbeloa-Finan wing (which I saw as a possible lineup posted somewhere) is a nice option for me - as an addition Agger MUST be selected instead of Sami, and I would rather see Aurelio or Riise as the LW and not Gonzalez.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:23 pm »
Can't wait for the game, don't have Sky so will be listening to it on the radio. Normal pre game ritual, Champ Laegue winners polo(unwashwed)check, justice band check.

Let's get ready to rumble, as two Geordies once said.

1-1 hoping.

Come on you REDMEN :scarf

RTE are streaming the game live if ya wanna check that out!!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2007, 10:33:54 pm »
Can't imagine we'll play Sami against Saviola (or Eto'o if he's in the squad). Barca live on their quick game and that doesn't sound like it will suit Sami. Since Barca will use one up front with two men on the wings, I would be surprised if we played three at the back with two wing-backs. I think we'll prefer to play Gerrard and Riise/Aurelio in more withdrawn positions to minimize space for Ronaldinho and Giuly/Messi.

But we shouldn't get all defensive in this game. I reckon Valencia showed us what to do. We put pressure on their defenders when they have the ball. The rest of the time we sit back and deny them space. There's one thing we should be worried about, apart from their quick passing game and that's their set pieces. Ronnie is world class at them, even on an off day. Hope Sissoko can keep his calm in the center.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2007, 10:46:32 pm »
i've just been browsing through an english-speaking barca forum. i'm so psyched up for this game its untrue- some of the shite that their fans have been coming out with will just make beating them even sweeter. stuff like "liverpool haven't a chance, we're going to win 5-0 in both legs with our second string squad" etc etc.

we never get the respect we deserve. lets make them eat their fucking words  :no
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2007, 11:31:12 pm »
The rumoured team has Zenden on the left....do excuse me while I throw up quietly in the corner

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2007, 11:34:45 pm »
Just talked to my son. A friend of ours went over and bought 4 tickets today. He didn't show his UK passport but he did show his Oregon drivers license and got the tickets. Pays to be a OOT'er..:P

Kept two for him and his girlfiend , sold the other two face value to a couple Reds looking for spares.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2007, 11:37:30 pm »
The rumoured team has Zenden on the left....do excuse me while I throw up quietly in the corner

Hang on, I got the bucket :)
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2007, 11:38:30 pm »

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Have a feeling Aurellio will start at left back and Arbeloa on the right. Just an inkling.

Offline johnjohn

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2007, 11:48:50 pm »
That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Have a feeling Aurellio will start at left back and Arbeloa on the right. Just an inkling.

If Zenden plays we are in trouble, I just don't think he's the right option on the wing, and with momo back, i can't see why we would play him in the centre either, espec as Mascherano has got his clearance.

Also, why do so many people think that Arbeloa will play?  Its a hell of a place to make your first team debut.

We have got to go with proven, in form players, so, no to Arbeloa or Zenden.  Can see aurelio at LB with Riise in front and gerrard maybe on the right hand side.

Also, as Barca are quite a short team and potentially vulnerable to set players (think that this was pointed out in a recent Echo article), my money is on Crouch to start.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2007, 12:39:04 am »
hey there.

i think aurelio is injured and i'd much prefer zenden in left midfield than any of the others because he has a lot more experience.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2007, 01:06:02 am »
lets hope we see the real stevie gerrard tomorrow - the energetic, menacing, aggressive stevie g - the one who pulled us back from the brink in Istanbul.

he needs to dominate one of these games against class opposition to really cement his status as one of the great midfielders in the game, and tomorrow is the perfect one to do it.

i don't want to be sitting here after the game talking about how quiet he was and how another big game passed him by.

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:04 am »
Anyone know the Barca squad?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2007, 01:30:20 am »
I have had a nasty feeling that Zenden will play too. I'm not quite sure why but it seems like something Rafa would do. Perhaps Rafa thinks Riise and Aurelio haven't been in good enough form to play in tandem down the left, but the only other option appears to be Zenden. Unless Gonzalez is totally fit?

I hear the shouts for Finnan at right midfield and Arbeloa at right back but too many changes could upset the balance.

Personally, I think he'll stick with the same team that beat Chelsea with Gerrard on the right instead of Pennant. Barcelona, like Chelsea at the time we played them, can be vulnerable in the air so playing Kuyt and Crouch seems logical.

The way I see it, if we play Bellamy we're more likely to switch into "counter-attack" mode and just try and hit them on the break. I don't think that's going to work as it's going to put unnecessary pressure on the defence and midfield. Of course if Barcelona are on top form then we'll probably be forced to rely on coutner-attacks but we shouldn't encourage that.

With Kuyt and Crouch upfront we have the ability there to hold the game up and allow our defence and midfield to push up. It's all about trying to control the game. That's why I think Aurelio will play down the left - he is an excellent passer of the ball and uses the space very well. I think Gerrard will start on the right because he is our best crosser of the ball. If he can get it into Crouch and Kuyt then maybe we'll find some joy. My only worry is a lack of bodies getting into the box. With Gerrard out wide, Aurelio not likely to be making a beeline for the penalty area and Sissoko and Alonso in the middle, we lack that drive from midfield.

Perhaps things could be changed round if things don't go to plan, with Gerrard coming back into the centre. Pennant's form has improved greatly since Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised if Benitez decided to stick him in there but with Ronaldinho likely to be facing him, Gerrard looks like a more solid option.

Part of me thinks, "Fuck it - lets just get at them and play with 2 upfront" but another part of me thinks that Deco, Xavi and co. could run the strings in midfield and carve us apart, so match them in midfield.

4-4-2 worked well against Chelsea and Rafa has vowed to go at them, so I think that is the way we'll line up.

-----------------------Reina-------------------------

-Finnan--------Carragher---Agger-------Riise-

-Gerrard-------Sissoko----Alonso------Aurelio-

------------------Kuyt-----------Crouch------------

A bench containing Hyypia, Mascherano, Gonzalez, Pennant and Bellamy amongst others does not look too bad.

We can qualify. It'll be tough but it can be done.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:45 am »
Anyone know the Barca squad?

"The complete list of players for the game against Liverpool is : Valdés, Jorquera, Belletti, Oleguer, Puyol, Thuram, Márquez, Gio, Zambrotta, Motta, Xavi, Deco, Iniesta, Gudjohnsen, Saviola, Ronaldinho, Messi and Giuly."

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/eng/noticias/noticias/n07022012.shtml

Offline Samran.

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:57 am »
How much do these rumour lines-ups hold in truth? All the papers and main websites are saying we're playing this:

Arbeloa........Carra..........Agger..........Riise
...................Momo..........Alonso................
Finnan................Gerrard....................Zenden
.............................Kuyt.................................

That has got to be the worst line-up possible!! Surely theyre just guessing right or do they all know Pakos wife? Why the hell are they all naming this same fukin line-up!

I want to see this. We have to play our own fukin game.

Finnan...........Carra............Agger.............Riise
Gerrard.........Momo...........Alonso............Aurelio
...................Bellamy...........Kuyt.......................

Please let it not be that line-up going around.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:34:27 am by White »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2007, 01:36:17 am »
The line-up you mention above White, I wouldn't be that unhappy if Rafa named it. I'd rather see Aurelio in there ahead of Zenden but Gerrard through the middle and a solid right-hand side could be the key.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:21 am »
why bother playing gerrard on the right when all he's going to be doing is tracking back with ronaldhino?

we need him going forward.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2007, 01:42:39 am »
You have sort of answered your own question Carlos-s, to help nulify the threat of Ronaldinho.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2007, 01:46:42 am »
he's one of our best attacking players and we don't want him defending all night. we want him causing them problems.

finnan in right midfield sounds about right. i think gerrard will have a free role behind a main striker, but i'm not sure who that will be, probably bellamy or kuyt.

reina

arbelo carra agger riise

finnan momo alonso zenden

gerrard

kuyt

Offline Samran.

• Kopite
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2007, 01:49:58 am »
The line-up you mention above White, I wouldn't be that unhappy if Rafa named it. I'd rather see Aurelio in there ahead of Zenden but Gerrard through the middle and a solid right-hand side could be the key.

Really? Its just too defensive. I cant see us doing anything attacking wise. It'll just be the same story like at Old Trafford, where we played Kuyt alone (this line-up is even worse. Zenden?! Finnan at right mid?!). Im telling you it will be a replica of the Old Trafford performance and that was utter shit. Nothing in their half! Nothing.

We need Bellamy. Some ounce of pace is needed for the counter attack. Did you see Valencias first goal in the weekend? One counter pass to Villa and they were through. That play by Villa was Bellamy-esque (not saying Bellamy is as good as him). But Bellamy does have that skill in him to run through and lay it off for someone coming in (Gerrard or Kuyt). I would say Garcia too, buts he missing (big loss! more than people might think btw)

With that line up, i wouldnt expect nothing from us, except from a set-piece (oh i forgot we're utter shit at them).

Anyway whatever happens, ill be up for it like hell, but i wont be expecting much with that line-up. Seriously.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:13 am »
he's one of our best attacking players and we don't want him defending all night. we want him causing them problems.

The way I see it is that Gerrard can perform two vital roles in that area. He can help Finnan contain Ronaldinho and exploit the space Ronaldinho will leave behind him and get at Zambrotta. Ronaldinho won't spend much of the game getting back to help out his fullback, so there'll be plenty of space for Gerrard to whip in some crosses or drive in from outwide.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:57 am »
not being funny, but we don't have the team to go to the nou camp and play gung ho attacking football. if we're going to beat barca, especially away from home, then we have to nullify ronaldhino, and to do that we need to be tight, or 'defensive' down the right side. it's a sacrifice i'm prepared to make.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2007, 01:53:32 am »
Anyway whatever happens, ill be up for it like hell, but i wont be expecting much with that line-up. Seriously.

If Benitez goes with that formation, I think it would be easier for us to control the game without having to play on the counter-attack for the full 90 minutes. I think this formation allows Alonso and Sissoko to play further up the pitch, not to mention Gerrard - and that's where we want to see them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2007, 01:54:46 am »
not being funny, but we don't have the team to go to the nou camp and play gung ho attacking football. if we're going to beat barca, especially away from home, then we have to nullify ronaldhino, and to do that we need to be tight, or 'defensive' down the right side. it's a sacrifice i'm prepared to make.

You don't think that Finnan/Gerrard is the strongest combination we could have down the right?

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2007, 01:59:51 am »
it's strong, yes, but it removes any attacking threat we have from the centre of midfield and means putting our best attacking player in defensive mode all night.

i'd love to fit masherano in somewhere but for once i think we have too many options.

Offline Samran.

• Kopite
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2007, 02:00:03 am »

Of course we dont have the team, and if we did that would be stupid. But we got to have a team capable of playing counter attack. That line-up going around simply wont!

We have to play exactly like Valencia did. Solid in the back, try to control the play as best we can, and hit them on the counter like they did. It wont take much too. One pass can split them (as Valencia showed). Alonso really has to be on his game though. Aurelio can definitly contribute too. And of course Stevie.

We have to play the way Valencia did. Tight but able to counter.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:01:35 am by White »

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:43 am »
isn't that what we're doing?

Offline Samran.

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2007, 02:08:03 am »
isn't that what we're doing?

With that line-up, no way! Finnan and Zenden on the end of our counter attacks?!

Someone tell me how that is going to trouble Barcas defence?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:11:38 am by White »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2007, 02:14:45 am »
it's strong, yes, but it removes any attacking threat we have from the centre of midfield and means putting our best attacking player in defensive mode all night.

We're just moving the Gerrard's threat from the middle to the right. He can still be dangerous. Ronaldinho will give him alot space to exploit on the right and deliver some deadly balls into the box for Kuyt/Crouch to get on the end of.

Gerrard sometimes struggles with discipline when he is asked to play on the right. If that's where he ends up tomorrow night he needs to be 100% focused on his job.

We'll be doing out best to stop Messi and Ronaldinho from getting the ball but when they do, they need to be surrounded and closed down quickly.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2007, 02:17:26 am »
he might even plump for gonzalez on the left who will be able to deal with the threat from messi a lot better than zenden and also look to get forward when he can.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2007, 02:19:08 am »
Is Gonzalez fit?

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2007, 02:28:55 am »
tonight is all about getting a result. it's gonna be tough and it aint gonna be pretty but as long as we come out unscathed we'll take em at home.

we're gonna be set up to make sure we don't get stuffed and everything to play for in 2 wks. If a chance comes our way by fuck lets take it!

Fuckin come on Redmen!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2007, 02:46:39 am »
If a chance comes our way by fuck lets take it!

That's why I hope Crouchy dosen't start. We need to take our chances!!! Even if there's one, we must take it!!!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2007, 02:48:48 am »
.............................Reina............................
...................Momo..........Alonso................
Finnan................Gerrard....................Zenden
............................Crouch................................

Garcia would have been RM had he of been fit..

i can also see..

.............................Reina............................
............Momo...Mascherano.......Alonso.....
Gerrard....................................................Zenden
............................Crouch................................
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Carlo-s

• Kemlynite
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:03 am »
just can't get the image of ronaldhino and messi running at our defence out of my head.

Offline Lanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2007, 02:59:30 am »
I d take 1-0 though an away goal would make me very happy.
           Reina
Finnan Carra Agger  Aurelio
Gerrard alonso momo gonzalez
   Crouch    Kuyt

Think stevie might have to bite the bullet for this one and move back to the center in 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 03:01:07 am by Lanky »
Martin Skrtel does not sleep. He waits.