Author Topic: Seinfeld  (Read 115323 times)

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Seinfeld
« Reply #840 on: October 24, 2021, 09:30:25 am »
Never saw this back in the day - not sure it ever had the exposure here that Friends and Frasier had - but watching episodes now. I'm only on season 2 but really enjoying it thus far.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: October 24, 2021, 11:29:58 am »
Never saw this back in the day - not sure it ever had the exposure here that Friends and Frasier had - but watching episodes now. I'm only on season 2 but really enjoying it thus far.

There's a reason why Netflix just paid $500m for a show that finished 23 years ago.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: October 24, 2021, 11:33:17 am »

Which episode are you up to? It gets better over the next few series. Plus Andy@Allerton doesn't like it, so that's another seal of approval, if you wanted one.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: October 24, 2021, 01:34:30 pm »
same here, only caught stuff on youtube - i can see what the fuss is about ... also might have a crush on elaine
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #844 on: October 24, 2021, 07:43:32 pm »

A lot of people complain the first couple of seasons aren't great  (I'm rewatching myself and have enjoyed them all really) - In season 3 I think it really comes into it's stride. One of those shows where I envy someone watching for the first time. Enjoy.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #845 on: October 24, 2021, 08:03:34 pm »
Best comedy show ever.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: October 24, 2021, 08:48:20 pm »
Best comedy show ever.

Clearly you missed Harry Maguire's defending today.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #847 on: October 24, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Reminded me a little of Newman.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: October 24, 2021, 08:59:33 pm »
Reminded me a little of Newman.

Maybe there's more to Harry Maguire than meets the eye.
No, there's less.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: October 24, 2021, 09:48:26 pm »
Which episode are you up to? It gets better over the next few series. Plus Andy@Allerton doesn't like it, so that's another seal of approval, if you wanted one.

Well, if Andy doesn't like it...

Just finished the one where Elaine almost moves in to the building. It's not striking me as Frasier levels of good, yet, but it is visibly improving as the characters lean in to one another more. I'm enjoying it and, if it gets better, then I have much more to enjoy.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:46 pm »
Well, if Andy doesn't like it...

Just finished the one where Elaine almost moves in to the building. It's not striking me as Frasier levels of good, yet, but it is visibly improving as the characters lean in to one another more. I'm enjoying it and, if it gets better, then I have much more to enjoy.

It does. Great thing is, it's the kind of show you can watch over and over again :)

I've restarted watching it and am a couple of episodes behind you, just finished The Jacket, the one where George keeps singing 'Master of the house', Had it stuck in my head for a couple days now as well :D

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #851 on: October 25, 2021, 11:04:00 am »
It does. Great thing is, it's the kind of show you can watch over and over again :)

I've restarted watching it and am a couple of episodes behind you, just finished The Jacket, the one where George keeps singing 'Master of the house', Had it stuck in my head for a couple days now as well :D
Fucking hell don't, that episode always get's that fucking song stuck in my head for days. Find myself bursting it out when I'm cooking or just humming it all the time. Too late now.

For me, Seinfeld's a lot better than Frasier, though both are good. Seinfeld's just genius in my book, Larry David is brilliant.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #852 on: October 25, 2021, 11:13:43 am »

To be fair, I quite oten go on the recommendations of others, but I just don't find it funny. It's actually quite spiteful and nasty. I've watched a few episodes and it's just not doing it for me.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: October 25, 2021, 01:21:55 pm »
"This is some office! what's the square footage??"

"This is some building. Harry Fleming used to have an office here. There was a deli on the first floor. You don't get corn beef like that anymore..."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #854 on: October 25, 2021, 01:35:14 pm »
To be fair, I quite oten go on the recommendations of others, but I just don't find it funny. It's actually quite spiteful and nasty. I've watched a few episodes and it's just not doing it for me.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #855 on: October 25, 2021, 03:03:08 pm »
Yeah a massive part of Seinfeld's humour is in that they're generally selfish and not very nice characters.

Do you like Always Sunny, Andy? Genuine question, it's maybe my favourite all time comedy and they're awful people, though the spitefulness tends to be directed at one another as opposed to groups or individuals. It never feels like they're punching down, let's put it that way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #856 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:44 pm »
Yeah a massive part of Seinfeld's humour is in that they're generally selfish and not very nice characters.
Do you like Always Sunny, Andy? Genuine question, it's maybe my favourite all time comedy and they're awful people, though the spitefulness tends to be directed at one another as opposed to groups or individuals. It never feels like they're punching down, let's put it that way.

No gave that a go and dislike it for the same reasons.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: October 25, 2021, 08:32:14 pm »

Was only messing mate. We can't all like the same things and comedy is probably the most subjective of all :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #858 on: October 26, 2021, 09:08:06 am »
Was only messing mate. We can't all like the same things and comedy is probably the most subjective of all :wave

:)

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: October 26, 2021, 06:00:45 pm »
Fucking hell don't, that episode always get's that fucking song stuck in my head for days. Find myself bursting it out when I'm cooking or just humming it all the time. Too late now.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #860 on: October 26, 2021, 07:31:50 pm »

Lemon Tree for me, from the episode where they try to switch the tape on the answering machine. Season 2 I think
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: October 26, 2021, 09:40:33 pm »

For me, Seinfeld's a lot better than Frasier, though both are good. Seinfeld's just genius in my book, Larry David is brilliant.

Another head sticker

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ria37d9mInY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ria37d9mInY</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: October 31, 2021, 03:13:28 pm »
Loved Seinfeld, just hated the stand up routine before and after the show

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: October 31, 2021, 05:34:27 pm »
Rewatching on Netflix - agree it doesn't really get going until series 3. Episodes such as 'The Pen' and 'The Fix Up' are some of the finest in the whole 9 series. I love the Fix Up, just watched it (where George gets set up with Janice from Friends). George 'does she have a pinkish hue?'
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: October 31, 2021, 07:20:54 pm »
Every time i've told people about Seinfeld i tell them don't even bother with season 1, i remember when it used to be on friday nights BBC2 in the mid 90's,with an episode of Seinfeld and Larry Sander's show.

Season 2 is so far different then 1 that it's like a different show, The Chinese Restaurant was the first great Seinfeld episode and that is one of the last episodes of season 2, and from there on it's pure comedy gold.

I think we should start listing our top ten (not in order) favourite episodes, here's mine off the top of my head.

1. Soup Nazi.
2. The Bubble Boy.
3. The Contest.
4. George and the Penske File episode.
5. The Maestro.
6. The Chaperone.
7. The Fire.
8. Jerry visiting his Parents at Del Boca Vista double episode.
9. Elaine's dancing episode.
10. The Dinner Party.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:27:08 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: October 31, 2021, 09:11:48 pm »
Top 10 is hard.

Top 3 of the top of my head:

1) The Pool Guy
2) Soup Nazi
3) The Library

I love everything about the idea of Susan becoming friends with Elaine and it sending George into meltdown. Worlds are colliding!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #866 on: October 31, 2021, 09:29:37 pm »
I'm rewatching so I'll have to make notes of my favourites.

The first one that always comes to mind is The Library. Phillip Baker Hall's performance in that has to be my favourite one-off character performance in anything ever. Hilarious episode but there's so many of them.

On the topic of when it really hits it stride, it is in season three, but upon watching it again there are a few gems in the first couple of seasons. I've always loved The Pony Remark. "Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country?"

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: November 1, 2021, 01:21:20 am »
Every time i've told people about Seinfeld i tell them don't even bother with season 1, i remember when it used to be on friday nights BBC2 in the mid 90's,with an episode of Seinfeld and Larry Sander's show.

Season 2 is so far different then 1 that it's like a different show, The Chinese Restaurant was the first great Seinfeld episode and that is one of the last episodes of season 2, and from there on it's pure comedy gold.

I think we should start listing our top ten (not in order) favourite episodes, here's mine off the top of my head.

1. Soup Nazi.
2. The Bubble Boy.
3. The Contest.
4. George and the Penske File episode.
5. The Maestro.
6. The Chaperone.
7. The Fire.
8. Jerry visiting his Parents at Del Boca Vista double episode.
9. Elaine's dancing episode.
10. The Dinner Party.
Top 10 is hard.

Top 3 of the top of my head:

1) The Pool Guy
2) Soup Nazi
3) The Library

I love everything about the idea of Susan becoming friends with Elaine and it sending George into meltdown. Worlds are colliding!

How can you not have The Marine Biologist.

Golden Boy (the t-shirt) dies
Jerry tells Elaine 'War & Peace' was originally called 'War, War, What is it Good For'
Kramer gives an electronic organiser to Elaine.
Kramer goes to the beach to practice golf hitting balls into the ocean.
Jerry tells an old school friend George is now a marine biologist
Yuri Testikov throws the organiser out of limo and hits Corrine.
Jerry & Elaine go to record a confession from Yuri Testikov who throws the recorder out the window and hits Corrine (again)
George goes to the beach with school friend and gets forced into rescuing a whale.
They all meet up at Monk's where George details his story
Blue Boy (the t-shirt) is born.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0u8KUgUqprw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0u8KUgUqprw</a>
[/quote]

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #868 on: November 1, 2021, 09:07:47 am »
Think the Stand In should get a mention just for this

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: November 1, 2021, 09:43:06 am »
I'm rewatching so I'll have to make notes of my favourites.

The first one that always comes to mind is The Library. Phillip Baker Hall's performance in that has to be my favourite one-off character performance in anything ever. Hilarious episode but there's so many of them.

On the topic of when it really hits it stride, it is in season three, but upon watching it again there are a few gems in the first couple of seasons. I've always loved The Pony Remark. "Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country?"

Have you seen Curb? Baker Hall appears in that as a doctor a few times and is equally brilliant.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #870 on: November 1, 2021, 10:31:52 am »
Have you seen Curb? Baker Hall appears in that as a doctor a few times and is equally brilliant.

Yeah, I've seen Curb. He's great in everything I've ever seen him in. I remember watching him in Hard Eight which was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and he's been in a couple of his other films too. He's an actor for me who despite not ever having many lead roles in decades, you always remember.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #871 on: November 1, 2021, 04:14:33 pm »
Jerry Seinfeld was on the Smartless podcast this week - out this morning, for anyone interested. :)

Smartless is a podcast hosted by Sean Hayes, Jason Bateman and Will Arnett. One of them invite a guest on each week, and the other two don't know who it is. Amazon Music have the latest episode each Monday, all other podcasts places are a week behind. Last week's guest was Tom Hanks.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: November 16, 2021, 12:21:05 pm »
I had only watched the odd episode before and now I'm going through the first proper watch front to end and really enjoying it(currently in the middle of season 3). Genuine question though, is Kramer supposed to be funny? Honestly might as well be a character from the Big Bang Theory for how painfully unfunny and over the top it is, both in terms of character band delivery.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: November 16, 2021, 06:13:36 pm »
I had only watched the odd episode before and now I'm going through the first proper watch front to end and really enjoying it(currently in the middle of season 3). Genuine question though, is Kramer supposed to be funny? Honestly might as well be a character from the Big Bang Theory for how painfully unfunny and over the top it is, both in terms of character band delivery.

Kramer gets better with each season IMO. As mentioned in here the show really starts to find itself in the middle of season 3 onwards - I think that's that's we really see the characters start to be refined.

I'm onto season 5 on my rewatch. Onto the episode where George tries to concert to Latvian orthodox. Excellent stuff.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: November 16, 2021, 10:28:05 pm »

I'm onto season 5 on my rewatch. Onto the episode where George tries to concert to Latvian orthodox. Excellent stuff.

Where Kramer has the kavorka.

Comedy gold.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #875 on: November 16, 2021, 11:25:56 pm »
That's what you had to tell me? That your father wears sneakers in the pool?

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #876 on: December 8, 2021, 06:19:51 pm »
I've just started re-watching it on Netflix. There are so many episodes that I simply don't remember at all or might have missed back in the day and it's been great seeing them again or for the first time ever.

One thing I don't like though is Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up routines in the beginning and middle of every episode. He's one of the least funny comedians I think I've ever seen. It's painful viewing which is odd because I really enjoy him in the show and find his quips quite funny.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #877 on: December 23, 2021, 01:10:44 pm »
Just realised what date it is. A Festivus for the rest of us!

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: December 23, 2021, 02:13:11 pm »
Finished it. Yes, it's fantastic stuff. Loved it.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #879 on: December 23, 2021, 10:57:54 pm »
"A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund."

"The Human Fund. Money for people."

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019