Author Topic: Any plumbers? Central Heating advice?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Any plumbers? Central Heating advice?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 03:38:27 pm »
HIVE system all installed this afternoon.

I love it already

Cant wait till it gets cold later and I can increase the temperature from the settee :)

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
New boiler
« Reply #41 on: April 9, 2021, 12:20:30 am »
I'm about to start a renovation of a 2 bed 1 bathroom flat that I'm going to move into. I need to get myself a new combi boiler and was wondering if there are any boiler engineers on here who could recommend one? A little research tells me I should probably go for a 24w combi boiler but there are quite a few manufacturers and models that vary in price by quite a bit. Is it worth shelling out a bit more? And any websites that offer competitive prices?

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
Re: New boiler
« Reply #42 on: April 9, 2021, 07:00:53 am »
Needed a new one myself this winter due to my previous one packing up. My landlord went for a 25kw Eco Compact by Main. Far from an expert, but I understand that it's a good quality option with value for money in mind. Main are a subsidiary of Baxi so it therefore shares a lot of internal parts with Baxi's equivalent model.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 9, 2021, 07:53:31 am »
We had this one installed about 3 years ago on the recommend of our heating engineer - https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/consumer/products/eco-rf/eco-rf-24/

We're in a two bed house and it's been great. 10 year guarantee as well as long as you do the yearly service, which y'know, should be doing regardless.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Heating Issue - Advice Needed
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2021, 12:55:07 pm »
Have an old heating system with 8mm pipes. Had kitchen replaced in January and updated radiator.

After install, a couple of radiators stopped working but engineer managed to get them back up.

Yesterday, I have had new valves / thermostats installed on radiators. When they fired the system back up there was same issue with those radiators. They came back today and flushed them manually and one is now working and one isn’t.

The one in dining room is stone cold but pipes down to it are semi hot. They say it may fix itself but if not then they need to replace piping. That seems extreme as would need to lift carpet and floor boards.

I haven’t paid them yet but after some advice.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2021, 01:09:01 pm »
Bonjela?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2021, 02:09:54 pm »
Give it to Giggseh til the end of the season
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2021, 07:22:29 pm »
Obviously try the bonjela first, but if that doesn't work and Giggs is unavailable, here are some suggestions that have occasionally worked for me. Bear in mind I am not a plumber:
  • Bleed all the radiators not just the ones that aren't working. You might need to repeat this over a few days if there is an airlock shifting around.
  • Open and close the TRV on the dodgy radiator a few times or remove it altogther and press the pin in a little bit to see if it is sticking.
  • TRVs always used to be fitted on the flow pipe (the one that normally feels slightly hotter) but modern 2-way TRVs are supposed to work on either. However I have one radiator on microbore pipe that has a two-way TRV (has two arrows marked on it) on it the return pipe which doesn't work - as soon as it is closed even a little bit it clicks and locks out altogether (this rad happens to be a small one, which is probably undersized anyway, so I removed the TRV altogether and it gets hot all the time now). If this is the case with yours the TRV either needs replacing with a working 2-way, moving from the return pipe to the flow pipe or binning off altogether.
The other thing you could ask is whether the system needs rebalancing - sometimes radiators nearer the boiler can rob all the heat from those further away. This can happen if changes have been made to the system without checking the balance afterwards. Balancing means adjusting the lockshields (the non-TRV valves) so that all of the radiators have the same temperature difference (near enough) between the flow and return pipes. Rads nearest the boiler might need the lockshields to be wound in a little bit while those further away might be opened up. It is a pain in the ass job and it can take a while to get it set up properly but there are plenty of Youtube videos showing how its done.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2021, 07:47:01 pm »
Obviously try the bonjela first, but if that doesn't work and Giggs is unavailable, here are some suggestions that have occasionally worked for me. Bear in mind I am not a plumber:
  • Bleed all the radiators not just the ones that aren't working. You might need to repeat this over a few days if there is an airlock shifting around.
  • Open and close the TRV on the dodgy radiator a few times or remove it altogther and press the pin in a little bit to see if it is sticking.
  • TRVs always used to be fitted on the flow pipe (the one that normally feels slightly hotter) but modern 2-way TRVs are supposed to work on either. However I have one radiator on microbore pipe that has a two-way TRV (has two arrows marked on it) on it the return pipe which doesn't work - as soon as it is closed even a little bit it clicks and locks out altogether (this rad happens to be a small one, which is probably undersized anyway, so I removed the TRV altogether and it gets hot all the time now). If this is the case with yours the TRV either needs replacing with a working 2-way, moving from the return pipe to the flow pipe or binning off altogether.
The other thing you could ask is whether the system needs rebalancing - sometimes radiators nearer the boiler can rob all the heat from those further away. This can happen if changes have been made to the system without checking the balance afterwards. Balancing means adjusting the lockshields (the non-TRV valves) so that all of the radiators have the same temperature difference (near enough) between the flow and return pipes. Rads nearest the boiler might need the lockshields to be wound in a little bit while those further away might be opened up. It is a pain in the ass job and it can take a while to get it set up properly but there are plenty of Youtube videos showing how its done.

Thanks for that - seems some good options to try.

Spoke to the manager of Company who said he will come back Monday if not fixed itself anyway.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #49 on: November 2, 2021, 05:43:47 pm »
The lads fitted the pump and valves on Thursday and then two radiators not working after this was done. So they had to come back the following day to sort. Lad back yesterday as heating stopped working fully on Saturday - he’s identified the new problem that they have quoted for and explained it in detail (trusted what he said as actually showed me the part not working)

Would you expect to be charged for Friday and yesterday as issues caused by them?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 5, 2021, 08:05:55 am »
Has all the work been done on your system by the same people? can see they might just blame the last person.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #51 on: November 5, 2021, 05:48:22 pm »
Has all the work been done on your system by the same people? can see they might just blame the last person.

Same Company. Same people Thursday and Friday. Then a different lad Monday.

I then had second opinion yesterday who said the quote for new part is bollocks and just a way of making more money (the quote also has a diagnostic fee on it for £42!). They showed me how it is working.

They still haven't invoiced me for the work so not ideal.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2021, 05:54:50 pm by Nick110581 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #52 on: November 6, 2021, 10:40:21 pm »
I don't know if anyone can help? I had some work done on the toilet today and at the end of the day he couldn't get it back into place, so I now I have a nice leak coming through the longue ceiling. He has left the toilet on the floor but the pipe that's connected to the toilet is leaking water out of it. I have turned off the water but it still continues to leak. Any ideas?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2021, 01:17:29 pm »
Bit of an odd one, friend's gas stove just started burning orange instead of blue. All the burners are clear, just started happening to ALL burners today. Is Putin sending us dirty gas or is there something else a foot?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2021, 01:41:13 pm »
Its xmas decoration.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2021, 01:48:39 pm »
https://www.hunker.com/12003355/why-is-my-gas-stove-burning-orange

Would suggest it is burning carbon monoxide which isn't good.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2021, 02:02:09 pm »
https://www.hunker.com/12003355/why-is-my-gas-stove-burning-orange

Would suggest it is burning carbon monoxide which isn't good.

Yeah I have read similar but strange that there is no obvious sign at the burners as to why. Suggests the problem is under the hood. I'll tell them to get a pro into check

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 08:02:57 am »
Mystery solved and worth noting  ;D My friend had just run a saline solution through a nebuliser for her kid in the kitchen. The salt in the air makes the flame burn orange. All back to normal a few hours later

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
New Boiler
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2022, 10:54:45 am »
Anyone recommend a reputable central heating company to supply & fit a combi boiler?
Location - Liverpool L9 

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2022, 01:37:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'm at a loss with my central heating, for the last two years, maybe longer, the radiator in the bathroom has been colder than the hairs on polar bears arse. My mate, who is more DIY savvy than me, initially bled the radiator which didn't work, then took it out, took it downstairs and flushed it through, nothing. We even turned out all the radiators in the house but nothing works.

I've got a fear the floorboards will have to come up, but a couple of people reckon its an airlock, any suggestions or tips please?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2022, 07:57:57 am »
Anyone recommend a reputable central heating company to supply & fit a combi boiler?
Location - Liverpool L9 
If you haven't found one let me know mate, I know a good bloke.
I'm at a loss with my central heating, for the last two years, maybe longer, the radiator in the bathroom has been colder than the hairs on polar bears arse. My mate, who is more DIY savvy than me, initially bled the radiator which didn't work, then took it out, took it downstairs and flushed it through, nothing. We even turned out all the radiators in the house but nothing works.
I've got one that's the same, I wondered if it's an end tap stuck closed but if you've flushed yours it can't be that. Let me know how you get on otherwise I'll need to call the above guy out also.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2022, 09:10:09 am »
If you haven't found one let me know mate, I know a good bloke.I've got one that's the same, I wondered if it's an end tap stuck closed but if you've flushed yours it can't be that. Let me know how you get on otherwise I'll need to call the above guy out also.

Will do John, one of the lads has got an idea so if that works I'll keep you informed.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Demo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2022, 10:02:50 am »
If you haven't found one let me know mate, I know a good bloke.I've got one that's the same, I wondered if it's an end tap stuck closed but if you've flushed yours it can't be that. Let me know how you get on otherwise I'll need to call the above guy out also.

Hi John C,
That would great if you can send me details please mate

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2022, 10:07:21 am »
Hi Folks,

I've got a fear the floorboards will have to come up, but a couple of people reckon its an airlock, any suggestions or tips please?

Has it got one of those thermostatic valve thingies on it? We've got a radiator like that and there is a little needle in the valve that keeps getting stuck. If you unscrew the valve you can fiddle about with the needle and see if it moves, whacking it with something usually works.
Legacy fan

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2022, 10:16:08 am »
Hi Folks,

did the radiator in the bathroom ever get hot? if so could be an airlock. or if its an old type radiator/system then the radiator in the bathroom could be filled with sludge (deposits from the copper/radiator iron from the system) which means water can't get in.

Could also be the pipe run, if its the last radiator in the lineout of all the radiators in your house might be getting a lesser supply, especially if the pipes are smaller in diameter (eg. 16mm rather than 22mm)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2022, 03:34:07 pm »
Hi John C,
That would great if you can send me details please mate
done

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #66 on: July 1, 2023, 09:40:10 pm »
Hi, have a Mira shower I think was installed when the house was built in 2004, think it's a Select model. Cold pressure is fine and hot pressure ids great in the other shower, but there's no hot pressure in this one and it takes 2 minutes to get warm. Is it the pump needs replacing? Cheers

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.