Author Topic: Antonio Barragan ...  (Read 12911 times)

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
Re: Antonio Barragan ...
« Reply #40 on: July 2, 2007, 01:19:57 am »
what a great bit of business if thats the case. it almost sounds too good to be true

Offline JnrJnr

• Kemlynite
« Reply #41 on: July 2, 2007, 01:23:32 am »
Did a bit more searching and found this on the Deportivo site.

Barragán signed a five-year contract with Deportivo in a operation that cost €1 million to the Galicians. However, Liverpool maintains a €2 million buy-back option over the player; this clause can be used in 2008. If Liverpool don’t take back Barragán by then, when he’s 21, they'll have another buy-back option in 2011. But at that moment his price will have increased.

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/squad/barragan.html

So just FIFA being a bag a'shite then...

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #42 on: July 2, 2007, 04:03:28 am »
How's he for Spain tongiht?
If Ayre got Ł25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #43 on: July 2, 2007, 05:47:05 am »
The problem with letting both Kromkamp and Barragan leave is that we have no real backup for Finnan at RB. If he gets a long term injury (God forbid), we'll probably be forced to play Carra there. As good a job he can do, his attacking contribution is limited.
Because we let go off both players, RB is now our most exposed position. While it may open up for a signing of for example Alves, we've still left us short of cover until January.

Arbeloa (spelling)

Offline JnrJnr

• Kemlynite
« Reply #44 on: July 2, 2007, 05:55:54 am »
How's he for Spain tongiht?

Couldn't watch most of the game 'cos streaming from the FIFA site was a bit pants. Put in a nice cross for Spain's first goal.

Arbeloa (spelling)

Was written before we signed Arbeloa. I just dug up an old thread.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:32 pm »
Antonio Barragán Fernández (born 12 June 1987 in Pontedeume, Galicia, is a Galician footballer (right full-back) who currently plays for Deportivo de La Coruńa having formerly played for Sevilla FC and Liverpool.

Having signed for Liverpool in July 2005 as an 18-year old who had yet to appear for Sevilla FC's first team, Barragán's role during the 2005-06 season was largely within the Liverpool F.C. reserves. He did, however, make one appearance for the first team, coming on as a substitute for striker and fellow Spaniard Fernando Morientes in the first leg of the third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League. In doing so, Barragán became the youngest foreigner to play for Liverpool.

Barragán signed a five-year contract with Deportivo de La Coruńa, in a operation that cost €1 million to the Galicians, on August 4, 2006. However, Liverpool maintains a €2 million buy-back option over the player; this clause can be used in 2008. If Liverpool don’t take back Barragán by then, when he’s 21, they'll have another buy-back option in 2011. But at that moment his price will have increased.

2006-2007 started very well for Barragán, as he started the first eight La Liga matches. The results accompanied him, as a young and completely renovated team were seventh back then. It earned Barragán his first call-up for the Spanish sub-21 squad. In addition, Barragán scored a fantastic goal against Real Sociedad, in an October 1 2-0 home win. He would split right-back duties with veteran Manuel Pablo but, with the "resurrection" of the latter in 2007-2008, opportunities were scarcer for Barragán.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Barrag%C3%A1n

So the rumored buy back option this year for 2 million Euros is true and we also have an option in 2011 when he's 21.

Can't be doing to bad if he's already playing for Sapins U21's?

Any one watch La Liga regularly, how he getting on?

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:30 pm »
I was actually wondering about him the other day

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2008, 12:51:40 pm »
Any one watch La Liga regularly, how he getting on?

Had a bad knee injury ... Out until October/November ...

Offline Wewonit6times

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »

So the rumored buy back option this year for 2 million Euros is true

It was but we waived it in the Arbeloa deal.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:51 pm »
It was but we waived it in the Arbeloa deal.
I have heard that - is it definitely true and does it apply to the 2011 buy back option too?
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2008, 01:06:45 pm »
According Football Manager 08, it's Ł475.000 buy back agreement  ;D
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2008, 01:24:45 pm »
I have heard that - is it definitely true and does it apply to the 2011 buy back option too?
I heard we waived the 2008 clause, but retained the 2011 albeit at a to-be-agreed-upon-at-the-time price.

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2008, 01:27:38 pm »
If he's injured his knee, then surely they could just send him back to Melwood - Doc Waller will look after him, and with a bit of luck, he may just recover just in time for the 2011 season anyway.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline dane

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 01:29:43 pm »
I heard we waived the 2008 clause, but retained the 2011 albeit at a to-be-agreed-upon-at-the-time price.
You heard we retained a clause that says we can buy a player back... at a particular time... if the club the player is with agrees to the price we offer?

And if we didn't have that clause the Spanish Army would mobilise against us if we sent a fax with an offer on it?

The only way such a clause could exist is if the lawyers were being paid per clause.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 01:36:34 pm »
You heard we retained a clause that says we can buy a player back... at a particular time... if the club the player is with agrees to the price we offer?
Err, yes, hence the phrase "buy-back clause" ;)

The only way such a clause could exist is if the lawyers were being paid per clause.
You obviously don't know lawyers :P

Paid per minute mate, never mind per clause. I swear they have those chess clocks on their desk...*click*...just hide them when clients are in.

Offline Strawberry Fields

• Pending....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 02:14:26 pm »
Hope to get him back!

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:29 pm »
Hope to get him back!
Any particular reason or just a random pleading cry in the dark?

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 02:40:50 pm »
Buy back clauses only matter if the player wants to return.

Maybe he won't want to.
And who knows in 2011, Benitez may be far far away.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 02:46:11 pm »
Emiliano Insua, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, and Antonio Barragan our silky skilled, ball playing defensive line for the next ten years then...? :D

Seriously though, didn't Barragan opt to leave due to 'homesickness' issues?  He was very highly rated by the club staff wasn't he?

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 02:51:03 pm »
Emiliano Insua, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, and Antonio Barragan our silky skilled, ball playing defensive line for the next ten years then...? :D

Seriously though, didn't Barragan opt to leave due to 'homesickness' issues?  He was very highly rated by the club staff wasn't he?
he will be older by 2011, perhaps wont get home sick then
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 02:58:18 pm »
He's been gone for a fair while now. I think if he still has any homesickness issues he'd have sorted them out by now. It's more a question of whether he's what we want at this point.

A question.. what's the deal with these talented Sevilla raised youngsters having homesickness issues? Jesus Navas and Barragan too.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:46 pm »
I'm sure Rafa's team have been keeping a close eye on him anyhow.

Offline leiva-pool

• Anny Roader
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2008, 03:16:59 pm »
I watched him at the U21 world cup and he impressed me a lot. His defending was good and he has the ability to bring the ball out from defence, he is definitely a ball playing defender and is something that Rafa obviously likes in his players. His crossing especially was very accurate and had pace, curl, dip ala Beckham :D Not like Finnan who crosses with no pace at all.
Gary Neville is a c*nt - FACT!!!

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 03:28:49 pm »
Not like Finnan who crosses with no pace at all.
Or Pennant whose crosses have all the whipped pace and incisive threat of cotton wool on a stiff breeze. Goes for Arby too I'm afraid. In fact I struggle to think who is our best crosser of the ball? Carra at RB even (albeit a one-off assist)? Gerrard? Aurelio? Not that it matters much with Crouch gone soon :P

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 03:30:57 pm »
Or Pennant whose crosses have all the whipped pace and incisive threat of cotton wool on a stiff breeze. Goes for Arby too I'm afraid. In fact I struggle to think who is our best crosser of the ball? Carra at RB even (albeit a one-off assist)? Gerrard? Aurelio? Not that it matters much with Crouch gone soon :P

Probably Gerrard and Aurelio

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2008, 04:07:42 pm »
Hyypia whipped in a sweet one recently... I think it was against Fulham?

Offline cresj

• Kemlynite
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2008, 05:15:54 pm »
Antonio Barragán Fernández (born 12 June 1987)

So the rumored buy back option this year for 2 million Euros is true and we also have an option in 2011 when he's 21.

Can't be doing to bad if he's already playing for Sapins U21's?

If he's born 1987, he's gonna be 21 in 1 month.

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2008, 06:49:45 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Barrag%C3%A1n

Er, not necessarily. Wiki can be edited by anyone, so don't trust it. There is no link to an official source in the footnotes, so while it could be true, that is no proof whatsoever.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
Don't need him anymore, we have Arbeloa and Carragher for rightback.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2008, 07:03:06 pm »

Er, not necessarily. Wiki can be edited by anyone, so don't trust it. There is no link to an official source in the footnotes, so while it could be true, that is no proof whatsoever.

I was a bit lazy and hadn't read the thread.  ???

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/squad/barragan.html

This confirms what was on Wikki.

To sum up;

Still exciting prospect.

We ditched the buy back option for when he's 21 as part of the deal when we signed Arbeloa.

We have an option to sign him in 2011 when he's 24 at a fee yet to be agreed?

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2008, 07:05:07 pm »
Don't need him anymore, we have Arbeloa and Carragher for rightback.

We might need him in 2011 if he's Spains first choice rightback and one of the best full backs in Europe.

great bit of negotiation on Rafa's part if you ask me.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2008, 09:15:53 pm »
Any particular reason or just a random pleading cry in the dark?

cos he's a fucking superb player

I'm fucking gutted we let him go

Offline sheff-jim

• Legacy Fan
  • Schizophrenic?! I'm bleeding Quadrophenic
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:12 pm »
We have an option to sign him in 2011 when he's 24 at a fee yet to be agreed?

How will that work then? We want to re-sign him, offer X. Deportivo say no, that's it.

How is that different from any other potential transfer? We need to offer what the selling club want.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2008, 09:53:21 pm »
cos he's a fucking superb player

I'm fucking gutted we let him go
A touch OTT but I agree he has the POTENTIAL to be a "fucking superb player", hence why Rafa had those buy-back clauses inserted. In fact, it's like a great loan deal really, the kid wanted to go back home, so we sold him and brought in Arby, an altogether more experienced and mature RB - meanwhile Barragan gets to cut his teeth with Depor, grow up a little off the field, and we get one put aside for the future.

Another example (Depor) why I'd like to see the likes of Paul Anderson loaned to a lower PL-level team, rather than the (albeit recently promoted) League 1 outfit, Swansea. Sometimes in at the deep end is better than a softly softly approach.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:56:27 pm by rossipersempre »

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2008, 09:59:21 pm »
We might need him in 2011 if he's Spains first choice rightback and one of the best full backs in Europe.

great bit of negotiation on Rafa's part if you ask me.

One Sergio Ramos might object to being summarily shunted out of the national side but I see your point--there's nothing wrong with hedging our bets.
Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2008, 10:01:49 pm »
How will that work then? We want to re-sign him, offer X. Deportivo say no, that's it.

How is that different from any other potential transfer? We need to offer what the selling club want.
It's different because it's a buy-back clause (not an 'option') - i.e we can invoke it and as long as he doesn't outright refuse to come back then there's nothing DLC can do - it is what they agreed to. The unfixed price is not like a normal transfer as the fee will, I assume, not be set arbitrarily according to market rates and what they want for him, it will be based on an agreed range based on his development over the next 3 years, how many appearances, international caps etc. If he does well, then we will pay towards the upper end of that range. Pure speculation of course, but I can't see how it would work any other way.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:01 pm »
One Sergio Ramos might object to being summarily shunted out of the national side but I see your point--there's nothing wrong with hedging our bets.
Ramos or not, let's not forget we have Spain's reserve keeper - he's not too bad either ;)

Offline screwi

• Kemlynite
  • Meh.
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »
Err, yes, hence the phrase "buy-back clause" ;)
You obviously don't know lawyers :P

Paid per minute mate, never mind per clause. I swear they have those chess clocks on their desk...*click*...just hide them when clients are in.

actually at big firms they have a special program running on their computer at all times, to log how long they're with each client, and how long they're at the pisser. if you're not working, they want to know why...

and do you know why legal documents are so bloody hard to read? because back in the day, some bright spark realised that they were being paid by the word. i shit you not.
Don't take no shit off fools... An' you judge a person by what's in 'em, not how they look. An' you do the right thing. You gotta be one of the good guys, son: 'cause there's way too many of the bad.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:09 pm »
A touch OTT but I agree he has the POTENTIAL to be a "fucking superb player", hence why Rafa had those buy-back clauses inserted. In fact, it's like a great loan deal really, the kid wanted to go back home, so we sold him and brought in Arby, an altogether more experienced and mature RB - meanwhile Barragan gets to cut his teeth with Depor, grow up a little off the field, and we get one put aside for the future.

I'd be stunned if he ever came back to Anfield

no chance, IMLTHO

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:43 pm »
I'd be stunned if he ever came back to Anfield

no chance, IMLTHO
*cough* Fowler *cough*