Author Topic: Pitch at the new stadium  (Read 9844 times)

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
Pitch at the new stadium
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:18:59 pm »
Dont know if this has been mentioned in the past?!

Anyway, whilst I was watching match of the day on saturday night I couldn't help but notice how far away from the pitch the stands at the Emirates stadium are. It doesn't look like there would be enough room for a 400 metre track to fit within the stands so they must have uilt it like this for some other reason, perhaps legislative?

At Anfield the fans are practically on the pitch, making for a really close environment and I think a major factor in why the atmosphere can at times be so special at Anfield.

I wouldn't like to think that the new stadium at stanley park would keep fans 5, 10 even 15 metres away from the pitch as reckon that it would murder the atmosphere. :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:58:35 pm by Big-Cisse »

Offline kopforever

• Anny Roader
  • What we achieve in life echoes in eternity
Re: Pitch at the new stadium
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:27:14 pm »
totally agree and so does rafa, he said about how important it is to have crowd on top of you making reference to boca juniors stadium, obviously no chance of it being built like that but it can't be anything like arsenals.
I think I'll sit this one out in the safety cupboard

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:56:44 am »
The intimidation factor : The seats and fans are simply just too far from the pitch – there is a huge disconnect between what is happening on the pitch and what is being felt in the stands. We are spectators now not participators. Dein and Wenger stated on many occasions that it was crucial to try and preserve the closeness of the fans to the players – what on Earth happened! It can’t be the capacity to blame – Bayern Munich’s new stadium holds more fans and has them intimidatingly close to the pitch. In fact the whole ground has a spacious, airy feel – great for a sports stadium but not a football stadium.

The above was posted on a Arse website

Offline Samwise

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:30:59 am »
I believe there are rules and regulations in the UK as to how close the stands can be in a new stadium build. It's no coincidence that all new stadiums in the UK have a much bigger gap between the pitch and the stands. It would seem Germany has different regulations.

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 11:43:07 am »
I believe in Germany some stadiums have terracing too.

Perhaps there was something in the Taylor report about new stadiums

Offline PerryLFC

• Anny Roader
  • Ohhh Liverpool We LOVE YOU!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:11:14 pm »
we should b as close as humanly possible...or it would be more like an athletics stadium rather than the electric atmosphere of a good old footy stadium
ninety six

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 10:30:34 pm »
The only places where people are a little separated from the pitch at the emirates (from what I have seen) is behind the goals. This is due to the curvature of the stadium. Along the sides, people dont seem that far away although I guess at the library, like Anfield, the crowd is closer due to the antiquated design.

Dont really see a problem myself.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 01:59:34 pm »
The only places where people are a little separated from the pitch at the emirates (from what I have seen) is behind the goals. This is due to the curvature of the stadium. Along the sides, people dont seem that far away although I guess at the library, like Anfield, the crowd is closer due to the antiquated design.

Dont really see a problem myself.

Wrong mate, the stands are miles away from the pitch along its length as well.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 04:27:09 pm »
One way round it would be in the 1st season just register the smallest possible pitch, then the season after enlarge it to normal size. Might be a loop hole!

Offline gouldylfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: October 1, 2006, 05:52:25 pm »
anything like the emirates or eastlands would be terrible

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2006, 02:32:04 am »
Indeed, But i think its just UK laws that mean we will be just as far away as at the emirates :(

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2006, 04:08:56 pm »
a lot of new stadiums have the fans nowhere near the pitch, yet look at the mancs ground. the fans there are right on the pitch. the players need to feel when they go to take a throw in that someone could grab them from the stand if they want. the more tight and claustrophobic we can make it, the better!

sadly i fear we'll see a ground with the stands miles from the pitch.
Momo Is Boss

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2006, 05:12:43 pm »
we should b as close as humanly possible...or it would be more like an athletics stadium rather than the electric atmosphere of a good old footy stadium

Everyone remembers how intimidating playing at The Dell was; players used to mention about how it was hard to play there with the fans so close.

a lot of new stadiums have the fans nowhere near the pitch, yet look at the mancs ground. the fans there are right on the pitch. the players need to feel when they go to take a throw in that someone could grab them from the stand if they want. the more tight and claustrophobic we can make it, the better!

sadly i fear we'll see a ground with the stands miles from the pitch.

I'd like to think that the board will ensure that this doesn't happen.  Anfield and Liverpool are internationally reknowned for the fans and the atmosphere, and it is one of the last areas the club will be happy to compromise on...at least i hope so.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2006, 05:20:08 pm »

I'd like to think that the board will ensure that this doesn't happen.  Anfield and Liverpool are internationally reknowned for the fans and the atmosphere, and it is one of the last areas the club will be happy to compromise on...at least i hope so.

Nothing the club can do about it if legislation states stands must be a certain distance from the pitch.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 2, 2006, 10:08:22 pm »
Wrong mate, the stands are miles away from the pitch along its length as well.

This picture of the inside of the Emirates Stadium doesnt show seats miles from the pitch except behind the goal.

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/london24/assets/images/dynamicFeed/smithc23119072006.P02.jpg
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #15 on: October 2, 2006, 10:22:10 pm »
The following might highlight ratcatchers point a bit more clearly

So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: October 2, 2006, 10:45:04 pm »

Yeah but the pitch starts where the colour change, with much excess grass, and there are advertising boards between the pitch and the stand, with plenty of space either side, which you cant see that clearly from either of those pictures.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2006, 08:49:07 am »
I guess its alot to do with the shape of the ground aswell, but like somebody said, at munich's stadium they seem alot closer, must be difference in german and english laws !

Offline lfcwembley

• Main Stander
  • Next best thing to being scouse, Im from Wembley
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2006, 10:15:07 am »
I was at the porto game last week front row near on the half way line  in the emirates and it a long way from the pitch, there is a large red walk way behind the advertising boards, then maybe another 3 or 4 metres to the touchline, front row gives an awful view and you cant see the touch line nearest over the boards.
Plus what seems to be the middle tier is seating for the corporate boxes and it seems to create an upper and lower stadium with fans divided

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2006, 12:30:48 pm »

I saw jackh's bum last night. If anyone else wants to see it they can arrange a viewing ;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline jayc

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: October 3, 2006, 10:25:59 pm »
Would love something like this...

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 4, 2006, 12:05:16 am »

Likewise, holds 71,000 that place now I believe. Not gonna happen though. Not sure about that bottom pic either. 4 exits for a tier that must hold in excess of 10,000. Must be chaos getting out.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 4, 2006, 12:27:51 am »
What is this piece of legislation that everyone is referring to that stipulates the distance from the pitch?

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 4, 2006, 12:35:20 am »
What is this piece of legislation that everyone is referring to that stipulates the distance from the pitch?

Football disorder act I think, can't find a copy anywhere but fairly certain it covers all newly built stands and stadia.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #24 on: October 4, 2006, 07:50:28 am »
Ive been trying to find the laws for distance from the pitch aswell but no luck, im gonna try e-mailing the FA try find out !!

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: October 4, 2006, 11:21:27 am »
Page 47 of the UEFA Club Licensing Manual Version 2.0

7. Infrastructure Criteria

7.1 Introduction
Several regulations, guidelines and directives refer to criteria with regard to the stadium and to the related safety and security (Laws of the Game, UEFA club competition regulations, UEFA Binding Safety and Security Instructions, Guidelines and Recommendations for Stadium Lighting for all UEFA Competitions, UEFA Media Guidelines and FIFA/UEFA brochure “Football Stadium” - Technical Recommendations and Requirements for the Construction or Modernisation of Football Stadium). Due to such big number of documents there has often been some unclearness around infrastructure requirements.

Based on these experiences UEFA decided to streamline the infrastructure approach for UEFA competitions by creating a specific “UEFA Stadium Regulation”, which includes all minimum standards as “must-requirements” in one single document. As part of this new approach each single stadium needs to be “approved” or “certified” against the UEFA minimum standards and classified according to a given category (e.g. like the star-system for hotels). The national associations are responsible for this approval process and its renewal, which may be part of the yearly licensing process.

The UEFA Stadium and Security unit will provide the necessary assistance, monitor the approvals and organises spot-checks on national level. For this reason all criteria related to the Stadium, previously contained in the UEFA Club Licensing Manual V1.0 have been removed and only the criteria in respect of training facility continue to be part of the infrastructure chapter of this revised version of the UEFA Club Licensing Manual. However, up to the approval of the above mentioned “UEFA Stadium Regulation” and communication by UEFA to the national associations of its entry into force, the criteria described in Appendix XXIX still apply and must be fulfilled by licence applicants in
order to be granted with a licence.

7.2. OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the following infrastructure criteria are that:

• licence applicants have an “approved” stadium available for playing UEFA club competitions matches which provide spectators and media and press representatives with well equipped, well appointed and safe and comfortable stadia;

• licence applicants have suitable training facilities for their players to help them improve their technical skills.

7.3. BENEFITS FOR CLUBS
With the new streamlined approach the clubs, and in particular the stadium owners, will know exactly which “UEFA quality level” the stadium currently achieves. The national association shall inspect and “approve” the stadium wich will then be classified into one of the given quality categories (e.g. “UEFA 3-star level”). Reading the corresponding UEFA competition regulations a club and/or an owner of an “approved” stadium may easily verify for which UEFA competition and/or for which phases of a competition the stadium may host an UEFA match. The assessment report is an important tool and the bases for any improvements and necessary developments to get higher classification in future (e.g. “UEFA 4-star level”).

This approach allows the stadium owner in cooperation with the club to clearly plan and invest in missing requirements, which nowadays are necessary to host people at attractive and entertaining events. Therefore, each club, together with the stadium owner and the local community, should try to provide a stadium that is attractive, safe and secure, easily accessible by car (including parking facilities) and/or public transport, has comfortable seats with a close view of the pitch, has clean hospitality facilities and shops, is equipped with hygienic and spacious toilets for both sexes, provides communication installations (loudspeakers and a video screen) and has also seats and toilets for disabled spectators.

Higher quality standards and better facilities are creating more business opportunities and therefore more income for the owner and/or the club, which helps to finance investments in stadium facilities. Finally, the comfort of a stadium is an important element in terms of having a large crowd to support your team on the pitch.

7.4. CRITERIA
7.4.1. “A” CRITERIA
No.: I.01
Grade: A
Description: APPROVED STADIUM FOR UEFA CLUB COMPETITIONS

The licence applicant must have a stadium available to play UEFA club competitions. The licence applicant either

a) owns the stadium, or
b) can provide a written contract with the owner(s) of the stadium or with owners of different stadia it will use. This contract must guarantee the use of the stadium for the UEFA home matches for the coming season, for which the licence applicant qualifies in sporting terms.

The stadium must fulfil all minimum requirements defined in the “UEFA Stadium Regulation” and be approved by the national association. Furthermore it must be based within the territory of the national association.

UEFA comment: The licensor defines the competent body for approving the stadiums on its territory (e.g. Infrastructure expert, Stadium Committee of the national association, etc.) against the minimum requirements of the “UEFA Stadium Regulation”. Furthermore it establishes the necessary approval process of stadium starting with the formal request by the owner and ending with the final decision by the competent body (e.g. who is doing what, how and by when and with what) as well as the review processes (re-inspection, update, duty to notify).

UEFA reserves the right to perform at any time inspections of stadiums. The licence applicant must take into account that the requested UEFA minimum quality level for the three UEFA club competitions (incl. competition phases) differ and that the participation in one of the UEFA club competition is only known at the very end of the season.

In order to start the UEFA competitions smoothly and to avoid the lack of approved stadium due to renovation or other use, UEFA recommends that by 31 March preceding the season to be licensed (or by an earlier date defined by the licensor) the stadium availability is clarified for each licence applicant.

APPENDIX XXIX ADDITIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE CRITERIA

This appendix provides additional infrastructure criteria to be met by clubs up to the approval of the new “UEFA Stadium Regulations” and communication by UEFA of its entry into force.

“A” - Criteria
No. Grade Description
I.04 A STADIUM - CERTIFICATION
The stadium must be certified.

The certification is defined according to national/local law. If such law does not
exist, the licensor fixes the content of the stadium certificate and the procedure in close co-operation with the appropriate body/bodies (e.g. local security authorities, the local hospital, fire brigade, police, etc.).

The certificate must provide at least the following information:

- Safety status of the stadium structure and measures for improvement.
- Compliance statement regarding the safety/security regulations of the
competent civil authority (reference I.05).
- Approval of the entire stadium capacity (individual seats, terraces and total
number).
- Safety and security strategy. This must cover all aspects of the organisation of a football match, such as ticketing distribution system, screening of spectators, segregation strategy, crowd dispersal strategy, medical service, measures taken in case of fire, loss of power supply, or any other emergency.
The certificate issued by the appropriate body must not be older than two years at the beginning of the new UEFA club competition season (1st qualification match).

I.05 A STADIUM - SAFETY
In accordance with the national law the following provisions may build an integrated part of the stadium certificate. If no such law exists the licensor defines at least the following provisions:

- All parts of the stadium and its stands, including entrances, exits, stairways, doors, passages, roofs, all public and private areas and rooms, etc. must comply with the safety standards (reference I.04).
- All public passageways and stairways in the spectator areas must be painted in a bright colour (e.g. yellow), as must all gates leading from the spectator areas into the playing area, and all exit doors and gates leading out of the stadium.
- Clubs must establish procedures so that all public passageways, corridors,
stairs, doors, gates, etc. are kept free of any obstructions that could impede the free flow of spectators during an event.
- All exit doors and gates in the stadium, and all gates leading from the spectator areas into the playing area, must open outwards away from the spectators, and must remain unlocked while spectators are in the stadium. Each and every such door and gate must be attended at all times by a specially appointed steward, to guard against abuse and ensure immediate escape routes in the event of any emergency evacuation. In order to prevent illegal entry or intrusion, these doors and gates may be fitted with a locking device, which may be operated simply and quickly by anyone from within. Under no circumstances must they be locked with a key during the time that spectators are in the stadium.
- In order to protect those on the field or in other parts of the stadium from
lightning strikes, the stadium should be equipped with the appropriate safety
devices.
- It is essential that event holders and stadium safety/security authorities are capable of communicating with spectators inside and outside the stadium by means of a sufficiently powerful and reliable public address system (loudspeakers) and/or by a scoreboard and/or a video screen.

I.06 A STADIUM - APPROVED EVACUATION PLAN
The appropriate body (e.g. safety and security authority, competent civil authority or other qualified and approved firms, etc.) approves the evacuation plan which ensures that the whole stadium can be emptied in a case of emergency according to the applicable national law.

If such law does not exist, the licensor establishes the content of the evacuation plan, including an evacuation time and the approval body, in close co-operation with the appropriate civil body (e.g. local security authorities, the local hospital, fire brigade, police, etc.).

I.07 A STADIUM - CONTROL ROOM
Each stadium must have a control room which ensures an overall view of the inside the stadium in accordance with the provisions of the applicable law or according to the requirements of the licensor, in consultation with the appropriate civil body (e.g. local police, etc.).

The provisions shall specify at least:
- the definition of the size,
- the configuration
- the furnishings
- and the technical equipment (e.g. central telephone switchboard) of the control room.

I.08 A STADIUM - CAPACITY
The minimum capacity of the stadium is 3,000 (three thousand) individual seats.

I.09 A STADIUM - INDIVIDUAL SEATS
A seat must be in accordance with the applicable law or the UEFA booklet Safety and Security in the Stadium for all UEFA Competition Matches:
- Fixed (e.g. to the floor)
- Separate from the others
- Comfortable (anatomically formed)
- Numbered and
- Have a backrest of a minimum height of 30 cm when measured from the seat.

Remark: for UEFA club competition matches (with the exception of UEFA Intertoto Cup) all spectators must be seated in individual seats.

I.10 A STADIUM - SPECTATOR AREAS
Each stand within the stadium must be capable of being divided into separate
sectors according to the requirements of the local security authorities or, if no such requirements exist, those of the licensor.

I.11 A STADIUM - FIRST-AID ROOMS
Each stadium must be equipped with first-aid room(s) to care for spectators in need of medical assistance. This must be done according to the local authority regulations, or the licensor fixes the exact number, size and location of the first-aid room(s) in consultation with the appropriate civil body (e.g. local authorities for security and health,).

In general terms, the licensor may take account of the following recommendations:
- The first-aid rooms must be located in a position which allows easy access from both inside and outside the stadium to spectators and emergency vehicles.
- Have doors and passageways leading to them which are wide enough to allow access for a stretcher or a wheelchair.
- Have bright lighting, good ventilation, heating, air conditioning, electric sockets, hot and cold water, drinking water and toilet facilities for men and women.
- Have walls and floors (non-slip) constructed of smooth and easy to clean material.
- Have a glass cabinet for medicine.
- Have storage space for stretchers, blankets, pillows and first-aid materials.
- Have a telephone allowing internal and external communication.
- Be clearly signposted throughout the inside and outside of the stadium.

I.12 A FIELD OF PLAY - SPECIFICATION
The playing field must be:
Alternative 1: natural grass
Alternative 2: artificial turf (according to the UEFA quality standards), subject to the approval of UEFA.

It must also be:
a) Absolutely smooth and level
b) In good condition
c) Playable during the whole UEFA club competition season
d) Green colour (in the event of artificial turf)

I.13 A SIZE OF FIELD OF PLAY
The field of play must measure

Alternative 1: 105 m x 68 m exactly.
Alternative 2: It is recognised that in some stadiums, for technical reasons of a construction-related nature, it is impossible to increase the field of play to the required dimensions. In this case only the licensor may grant an exception within the following ranges):

- Length: min. 100 m to max. 105 m (110 yds to 115 yds)
- Width: min. 64 m to max. 68 m (70 yds to 75 yds)

'B' Criteria
I.14 B STADIUM – GROUND RULES
Each stadium must issue stadium ground rules and affix them to the stadium in
such a way that the spectators can read them. These rules must provide at least information on:

- admission rights
- abandonment or postponement of events
- description of prohibitions and penalties, such as entering the field of play, throwing objects, use of foul or abusive language, racist behaviour, etc.
- restrictions with regard to alcohol, fireworks, banners, etc.
- seating rules
- causes for ejection from the ground
- risk analysis specific for the stadium

I.15 B STADIUM - COVERED SEATS
The licensor fixes the minimum capacity of individual seats which must be
covered. UEFA recommends that one third of the individual seat capacity be covered especially the grandstand and the press box.

I.16 B STADIUM - ACCOMMODATION OF VISITING SUPPORTERS
At least 5% (five percent) of the certified total stadium capacity must be made available for accommodating visiting supporters in a separate area. This provision is subject to decisions of the competent bodies of the licensor and/or
the local authority regarding safety and security (high-risk matches, etc.).

I.17 B STADIUM - SANITARY FACILITIES
Each stand must provide sufficient toilet facilities for both sexes, in accordance with the local authority regulations or the licensor’s requirements.

These amenities must include washing facilities with at least cold water and a
plentiful supply of towels and/or hand dryers. They must be bright, clean and hygienic, and a procedure should be established to keep that condition throughout each event.

UEFA recommends for every 1,000 spectators, a minimum of:
- Five toilets with seats for men
- Eight urinals and
- Five toilets with seats for women

I.18 B STADIUM - SIGNPOSTING AND DIRECTIONS ON TICKETS
All public direction signs inside and outside the stadium must be presented in internationally understandable pictographic language. Clear, comprehensive signposting must be provided at the stadium approaches and around, and throughout the stadium to point the way to the different sectors.

Tickets must clearly identify the location of the seats for which they have been
issued. Information on the tickets must correlate with the signpost information
provided, both inside and outside the stadium. Colour coding of tickets will assist the entry process, and retained ticket stubs must contain information which will guide spectators once they are inside. Large-scale wall maps must be provided for the guidance of spectators.

I.19 B STADIUM - MEDIA AND PRESS FACILITIES
There must be suitable media and press facilities (working room and press
conference room). The licensor fixes the content of this provision according to the actual needs of its media and taking into consideration the following recommendations and in consultation with the appropriate media bodies (e.g. Media Committee, etc.):

- Specific media entrance to the stadium or entrances if there is a separate access for photographers and TV personnel.
- Reception desk or room where late accreditation/media information can be
collected.
- Permanent press seats, equipped with desks big enough to accommodate a
laptop computer, a notepad and telephone.
- Power supply and phone/modem connections at each desk.
- Media working room accommodating a minimum of … persons, (unless separate facilities are provided), including photographers (to be fixed according to the average demand in your domestic championship).
- Toilet facilities for both sexes.
- Press conference room with a suitable number of ….. seats (to be fixed
according to the average demand in your domestic championship).
- Press conference room to be equipped with a sound system and split box.
- Photographers with heavy equipment should have parking spaces available as close to the access point as possible and/or a drop-off point where they can unload equipment from vehicles.
- The licensor fixes a minimum number of seats in the press box according to the average demand in its domestic championship.

I.20 B STADIUM - DRUG-TESTING ROOM
This room must be near to the teams’ and referees’ dressing rooms and inaccessible to the public and the media.

I.21 B STADIUM - SPECTATORS WITH DISABILITIES
The licensor sets up requirements to accommodate disabled spectators and
accompanying persons safely and comfortably.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 11:33:20 am by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #26 on: October 4, 2006, 11:54:52 am »
Would love a stadium like the Borrusia Dortmund one but, it aint going to happen coz our legislation dictates that we cant have it.  In Germany they still have terracing areas which they can convert into seated ares for Champions League/ UEFA Cup games.
Great Staduim though.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 4, 2006, 01:15:04 pm »
Isn't that to do with the Champions League though, Steve, and why we see the front few rows of stands in various stadia covered or blocked off? Surely that doesn't refer to the construction of new stadia, as if the stands were like at the Dell, for instance, it would only mean the more rows would have to be cordoned off?

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: October 4, 2006, 01:27:57 pm »
Isn't that to do with the Champions League though, Steve, and why we see the front few rows of stands in various stadia covered or blocked off? Surely that doesn't refer to the construction of new stadia, as if the stands were like at the Dell, for instance, it would only mean the more rows would have to be cordoned off?

I can't find the actual document which lists the building regulations. Think it would be crazy though to build a new stadium which didn't fit all the current regulations for all the competitions we enter. Losing two thousand seats a time is just shabby financially.

Yet doing this currently doesn't affect the atmosphere at Anfield on European nights - so if these unused seats were removed totally to leave a physical gap rather than netted seats would it really make a difference to the atmosphere?
« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 01:29:41 pm by Rushian »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 4, 2006, 01:33:50 pm »
I can't find the actual document which lists the building regulations. Think it would be crazy though to build a new stadium which didn't fit all the current regulations for all the competitions we enter. Losing two thousand seats a time is just shabby financially.

Yet doing this currently doesn't affect the atmosphere at Anfield on European nights - so if these unused seats were removed totally to leave a physical gap rather than netted seats would it really make a difference to the atmosphere?

I doubt that it would, but looking at the reverse, would having those extra 2,000 seats at New Anfield for domestic league and cup games be worth it? Given that the atmosphere is not going to be affected in Europe, should it stop us from potentially making more money (or more use of space) domestically? I dunno...

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 4, 2006, 05:27:27 pm »
The seats are covered up as they can't sell them as they're restricted view. The advertising boards for the champions league are bigger than the standard ones so if you sat on the front few rows you wouldn't have a clear view of the whole pitch.

I think that's why it is anyway? There aren't any big boards on the main stand side as they wouldn't be seen by the tv cameras and you can sit on the front row. Think the centenary is the same as it's a bit higher up than the Kop/Anfield rd end.

Can't remember where I read about this legislation, it might even be a recommendation on health and safety grounds - i.e prevents players crashing into the stand. Having this extra space also helps air flow around the pitch, which is important in an enclosed stadium - according to Arsenal's groundsman anyway.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2006, 07:19:19 am »

plz mr parry :(

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #32 on: October 5, 2006, 04:01:27 pm »
Well as we all know, please or no please, that kind of stadium wouldn't have the slightest chance of getting built in the park. Anything remotely like that and you're talking about leaving the Anfield area.

About these rules and regulations regarding stadiums, shouldn't the same rules apply to all clubs under UEFA ?

Also I know in Germany they work under a different set of guidelines to us, but surely there's a health and safety issue regarding the lack of exits in that stand to the right.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Big-Cisse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2006, 09:32:09 pm »
Well as we all know, please or no please, that kind of stadium wouldn't have the slightest chance of getting built in the park. Anything remotely like that and you're talking about leaving the Anfield area.

About these rules and regulations regarding stadiums, shouldn't the same rules apply to all clubs under UEFA ?

Also I know in Germany they work under a different set of guidelines to us, but surely there's a health and safety issue regarding the lack of exits in that stand to the right.

Why would you have to leave the area?

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 6, 2006, 02:21:46 am »

A few pictures I took in the Emirates Stadium might also help clear things up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/moreclaw/brazilargentina/warmup3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/moreclaw/brazilargentina/warmup2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/moreclaw/brazilargentina/warmup.jpg

Especially that bottom link. The front row on all sides are each over 10 metres away from the pitch (just my own approximation), at the goal ends it's probably double that.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #35 on: October 6, 2006, 04:18:49 am »
Yeah, that bottom link puts it in true perspective.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: October 6, 2006, 11:29:43 am »
Why would you have to leave the area?

We wouldn't get planning permission to build that sort of stadium in the park.

Also interesting to note that the stands are a decent distance from the pitch there - certainly further than Anfield.

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 6, 2006, 01:25:22 pm »

As with most building regulations and legislation, they only apply to new builds.

Offline ooaajoshbackar2

• Too Young To Use Ticket Exchange
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2006, 07:33:01 pm »
in my opinion having the stands close to the pitch is one thing our new ground HAS to have, or it wont be home!

We need,

1. Stands close to pitch
2. One stand behind goal bigger than the rest and single tiered
3. A shit away end ;) just to show chelsea what its like sitting in their fucking shed!!!

Josh
we've got a right back called steve finnan
when he plays were always winning
crosses the ball out and in again
we've got a right back called steve finnan

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2006, 10:31:21 pm »
in my opinion having the stands close to the pitch is one thing our new ground HAS to have, or it wont be home!

We need,

1. Stands close to pitch
2. One stand behind goal bigger than the rest and single tiered
3. A shit away end ;) just to show chelsea what its like sitting in their fucking shed!!!

Josh

In total agreement with on that apart from no.2. im all for the single tiered kop. but to have it bigger than the rest of the ground would look shite. dortmunds ground it class.. filling in the quadrants makes the difference when clubs need to expand capacity. maybe creating a ground with conventional '4 block stands' is easier to extend rather than the bowl designs. i would like the 4 separate stands... but with curved roofs, or even one whole eliptical that spanned all the the stands below it.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.