Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 403269 times)

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4720 on: January 21, 2023, 10:31:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies pretty heartbroken about it all.

All the best with it mate.

They're not with us for long enough are they?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4721 on: February 3, 2023, 03:42:50 pm »
I'm so proud of our youngest border collie for overcoming her fear of water.

When we got her 4yrs ago she wouldn't even go near a tiny stream for a drink now she's straight into the estuary.  She doesn't swim but she'll go in as far as just staying on her feet.

Today she was retrieving a stick from the river but realised it was just out of her depth so she kept moving further down river until she found a spot to get to it.

Such a clever brave girl ☺️

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4722 on: February 3, 2023, 10:54:52 pm »
That's great. None of my dogs have ever really been too fussed by water, but my bulldog Norbert loves it. He won't go deep enough to swim but he'll duck himself fully under where he can stand up and loves nothing more than lying down in flowing water  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4723 on: February 4, 2023, 04:59:37 pm »
Floyd loves a swim and will run into the sea, dive in a lake, but absolute murder to get in the bath and doesn't trust paddling pools!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4724 on: February 4, 2023, 05:42:32 pm »
Was woken by whining at 5am this morning. Poor dog had got the runs, all over her bedding. Loads more liquid (not even runny) ones this morning but seems to have settled a bit since. Haven’t fed her all day. Was going to give her some boiled chicken later to see how she handles that.

She keeps digging out the soul from the pots out the back and chewing the plants in there. Would assume that’s what has caused it. Do they learn now to eat it if it makes them rough?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4725 on: February 4, 2023, 07:44:52 pm »
Was woken by whining at 5am this morning. Poor dog had got the runs, all over her bedding. Loads more liquid (not even runny) ones this morning but seems to have settled a bit since. Haven’t fed her all day. Was going to give her some boiled chicken later to see how she handles that.

She keeps digging out the soul from the pots out the back and chewing the plants in there. Would assume that’s what has caused it. Do they learn now to eat it if it makes them rough?

:o

What have you buried in the garden, Nick?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4726 on: February 4, 2023, 07:49:00 pm »

What have you buried in the garden, Nick?

Oops, busted. :D

The soil…she keeps digging up the soil.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: February 4, 2023, 08:06:48 pm »

Some plants are poisonous Nick even the most common ones.  Daffs, foxgloves and most corm/bulb/rhizome types. 

It won't be fatal but they won't necessarily learn either though they will grow out of the puppy stage of eating/chewing everything and anything.

If she's no better by Monday get the vets to check her out.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4728 on: February 4, 2023, 08:26:55 pm »
Some plants are poisonous Nick even the most common ones.  Daffs, foxgloves and most corm/bulb/rhizome types. 

It won't be fatal but they won't necessarily learn either though they will grow out of the puppy stage of eating/chewing everything and anything.

Thanks Debs. Luckily everything had long since died. There’s were no bulbs either, just the remnants of some small shrub. Will keep an eye on her but she seems spritely enough.

Although a friend of my wife’s dog died rosy having eaten something toxic in one of the local parks apparently which is horrible.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4729 on: February 4, 2023, 08:36:31 pm »

Thanks Debs. Luckily everything had long since died. There’s were no bulbs either, just the remnants of some small shrub. Will keep an eye on her but she seems spritely enough.

Although a friend of my wife’s dog died rosy having eaten something toxic in one of the local parks apparently which is horrible.

Most of the time what we grow in our gardens doesn't affect us or our pets however some folks will eliminate all potential risks which is fine and dandy but doesn't leave much vegetation for us to enjoy 😂

Yeah just keep an eye on her mate.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4730 on: February 4, 2023, 11:00:32 pm »

Don't dogs eat grass/plants as an emetic/laxative if they're unwell anyway?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: February 5, 2023, 10:21:17 am »

Don't dogs eat grass/plants as an emetic/laxative if they're unwell anyway?

They eat grass but I've yet to see any scientific reasoning for it so I'm not sure if it's myth or truth.

I've had dogs all my life and never seen any of them eat plants but puppies definitely will and do as they chew everything.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: February 5, 2023, 01:22:02 pm »
My Dad's always said they're eating grass if they're feeling unwell, maybe we should get it on James O'Brien's mystery hour to see if there's any truth to it ;D

I've had dogs all my life and never seen any of them eat plants but puppies definitely will and do as they chew everything.

I'd never noticed it before either, Floyd went through a phase as a puppy and I had to get rid of a peace lily because he was obsessed with trying to eat it, found out there's crystals which cause irritation and burning but he took it as some sort of challenge.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4733 on: February 5, 2023, 01:25:00 pm »
My dog never eats the inside plants, she'll chew a bit of grass when we're out on a walk though

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4734 on: February 5, 2023, 01:26:15 pm »
I've found with him that'll chew it but spit it out, like he's more interested in the moisture than the grass.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4735 on: February 5, 2023, 02:06:29 pm »
I've found with him that'll chew it but spit it out, like he's more interested in the moisture than the grass.

I've always thought it was more about getting the moisture out of grass too.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4736 on: February 6, 2023, 01:55:39 pm »
They eat grass but I've yet to see any scientific reasoning for it so I'm not sure if it's myth or truth.

A couple of bouts of upset stomach, and we've seen plant leaves in the vomit. Once also in her diarrhea.

We have artificial grass in the back and perhaps that's why she resorts to eating plants.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4737 on: February 6, 2023, 05:24:05 pm »
Well, we have a new dog. 🐕

Sadly, my Mum's friend passed away on the 1st February. She was a massive Liverpool fan too. I'm a bit cut up about it to be honest. I liked her a lot and she was a great friend to my Mum.

She was always very worried that if she passed away before her dog, there would be no one to look after him. Mrs Spion and I promised her we'd give him a good life if it ever came to that. He's a little Cojack. A cross between a Corgi and a Jack Russell. He's a little character. Currently curled up and cuddled in next to me on the couch, lying on the blanket he used to share with his Mum.

I just hope we can give him the life his Mum wanted for him. 🐾🐾
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4738 on: February 6, 2023, 05:28:26 pm »

Our now dearly departed boys would eat grass if their stomachs were off. We used to call it rumble tum. Every now and again they'd go off their food and their stomachs would rumble. We'd take them out and they'd eat a load of grass then throw it back up again. They seemed to feel better afterwards. Who knows why?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4739 on: February 6, 2023, 05:31:58 pm »
Our now dearly departed boys would eat grass if their stomachs were off. We used to call it rumble tum. Every now and again they'd go off their food and their stomachs would rumble. We'd take them out and they'd eat a load of grass then throw it back up again. They seemed to feel better afterwards. Who knows why?

No idea mate, as I said I e never seen any scientific reasoning for it but my dogs do the same even though they're rarely ill.

Congrats on your family addition and well done for adopting it 👍

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: February 6, 2023, 05:54:55 pm »
No idea mate, as I said I e never seen any scientific reasoning for it but my dogs do the same even though they're rarely ill.

Congrats on your family addition and well done for adopting it 👍
Thanks Debbs. I'm anxious about taking him on because I take the responsibility really seriously. Mrs S thinks I need to lighten up and just go with it.

I've looked into the grass eating thing too, but found no real answers.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4741 on: February 6, 2023, 06:02:32 pm »
Thanks Debbs. I'm anxious about taking him on because I take the responsibility really seriously. Mrs S thinks I need to lighten up and just go with it.

I've looked into the grass eating thing too, but found no real answers.

There's a lot of truth in dogs picking up on their humans fears so I agree with Mrs S, don't let your anxieties transfer as it'll make the transition harder than it needs to be for you and the dog.

If you've never watched it try to catch up on a couple of the TV programmes "dogs behaving badly".  They're a bit extreme but it does highlight how easily problems occur due to the owners behaviour rather than the dogs 👍

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: February 6, 2023, 06:48:42 pm »
Good advice there, Debbs. Thanks.

Yes, we watch that programme. It's great. 🐕🐾

He's cuddled up on the couch with me again now. 😊

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: February 6, 2023, 07:11:28 pm »
Good advice there, Debbs. Thanks.

Yes, we watch that programme. It's great. 🐕🐾

He's cuddled up on the couch with me again now. 😊

It's great isn't it and so much to relate to with our two crazy, disfunctional rescue collies 😂

Best of luck anyway mate I'm sure you'll do a great job 👍

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: February 6, 2023, 09:16:09 pm »
It's great isn't it and so much to relate to with our two crazy, disfunctional rescue collies 😂

Best of luck anyway mate I'm sure you'll do a great job 👍
Thank you. I appreciate it. 😊

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4745 on: February 15, 2023, 03:45:12 pm »
Bagel saw a hot air balloon for the first time the other week, shat him up a bit, and now he's realised that man made objects can be in the sky too.  He's started looking up everywhere to check, and keeps jumping away from street lights when he sees the top of them.

He's such a goof.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4746 on: March 19, 2023, 09:02:56 pm »
Well, we have a new dog. 🐕

He's a little Cojack. A cross between a Corgi and a Jack Russell. He's a little character. Currently curled up and cuddled in next to me on the couch,

I just hope we can give him the life his Mum wanted for him. 🐾🐾

'a little Cojack' ....  ;D .. at first i thought that was his name, then i realised a cross Corgi & Jack Russell. good on yer for tacking him in  8)
Bit of sad news myself, my jack russell 13yr old 'Maxx' .. had some breathing issues over the last 6/12 mths and last night just keeled over having a kind of fit (horrible)
anyway he regained himself after a few minutes.. poss cardiomyopathy i think, classic enlargeing of the heart, hard to pump blood, it is what it is
giving him baby aspirin at the mo to thin his blood.. my last Jack lived till 15 yrs... end game is so hard.. but he/we had great times..

As for dogs eating Grass... mine never did that, he tends to nibble gravel..
Best thing i found out by accident was Herbs.. i have a box of herbs growing outside i always use, each year they regrow.. sage,rosemary, mint etc..
anyway one day i put the herb box on the yard floor and 'Maxx' gave them a sniff and nibbled the mint and or the sage, so i think dogs do kinda know what helps them.. just a thought.  8)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4747 on: March 20, 2023, 02:29:49 pm »
Ahg mate. Jack Russells are fantastic dogs, good luck. Hard times indeed

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4748 on: April 12, 2023, 10:43:54 pm »
Ahg mate. Jack Russells are fantastic dogs, good luck. Hard times indeed
Update... Maxx was put to sleep this morning   :'(

We are heartbroken, but his health was failing fast ... struggling to breath, rapid heart .. not nice & we can't let him suffer
over 13 yrs with the little fecker... 8)   ... sleep tight little man  :'(

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4749 on: April 12, 2023, 11:39:17 pm »
So sorry for your loss hixxstar :(

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4750 on: April 13, 2023, 12:23:46 am »

We are heartbroken, but his health was failing fast ... struggling to breath, rapid heart .. not nice & we can't let him suffer

ahg what a cracker  :'(

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: April 13, 2023, 12:17:42 pm »

Sorry to hear this. I bet those eyes melted you many a time  :'(

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4752 on: April 13, 2023, 12:27:06 pm »
Ah sorry to hear this, never nice losing a dog  :(

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4753 on: April 13, 2023, 07:26:23 pm »
Kind words... Thanks 8)  He really was a little cracker, ..stand his corner Vs any dog  ;D

This is not my Jack Russell... but it's so much like Maxx it makes me laugh... he was the same after having a bath.  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NNBIbx4LvCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NNBIbx4LvCM</a>

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4754 on: April 13, 2023, 08:25:13 pm »

Sorry for your loss.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4755 on: April 14, 2023, 08:23:26 am »
Ah sorry to hear this, never nice losing a dog  :(

It's awful,what you wouldn't give for one more day with them.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4756 on: April 14, 2023, 10:10:49 am »
Read this Hixxstar (if you are into reading - if not it's quite short)  - it will make you feel better - it's a great book, not sentimental

The Boy and the Dog is just great. Powerful, set in post Tsunami Japan.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: April 14, 2023, 04:36:04 pm »
Read this Hixxstar (if you are into reading - if not it's quite short)  - it will make you feel better - it's a great book, not sentimental
I do know of it... after a tsunami the dogs journey.. Thanks  8)

But i do like this Poem by Rudyard Kipling - The Power of the Dog

https://poets.org/poem/power-dog

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4758 on: April 14, 2023, 04:42:48 pm »
Our little bugger's rolled in fox shit again.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4759 on: April 14, 2023, 04:45:35 pm »
Any tips for getting your dog used to a car?  We've had him just over a year and only just got the car, but he's terrified of it.  Doesn't want to leave the house if he thinks we're putting him in it, and once we get him in there he just shakes non-stop and eventually starts whining and panting.  90% of the trips so far have been to parks for adventures, so he knows there's fun at the end of the ride.

We're rolling the window down for him and we're both taking turns just sitting in the car with him without going anywhere, plus treats, of course.  Still hates it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.