Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 403293 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4680 on: November 17, 2022, 03:12:09 pm »
With yours, have you noticed if he does it regardless of the weather? One of mine is really territorial with my flat so whenever she sees dogs walking past outside her hackles will be raised and she'll growl, but once they've passed she always 'shakes it off' so to speak.

Nah he only does it after getting wet, or just looking at rain from inside.  I've not seen him shake off being mad at people outside, though, he generally just huffs to himself a little once they're out of the way.

Dogs are great.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #4681 on: November 17, 2022, 03:59:17 pm »
Just thought I'd see if anyone else's dog does this.  Whenever he hears anything in the back he rushes over to the door to be let out, but it's pissing down outside today so he doesn't actually go out, just looks into the garden through the open door.  But... when I close the door and he turns around to head back to his spot on the sofa, he shakes himself dry, even though he didn't actually get rained on, he just saw rain from inside.

Its associative behaviour.

He associates the door as an entry point of "potential" danger and that its his "duty" to protect you from that. You can train him to not react to anything by

1. Showing him that you are incharge and that its all fine --> What you do is, pull him to the side, have a look around and then go back indoors and call him in. And do it with an aura of confidence. He will learn that what he sees as a danger is being taken care of by someone thats an "alpha". Do this many times and each time step away from the door. I mean, first go through the door, then look through the window, and then peep out of the kitchen area like that. But do them in baby steps. I mean really baby baby steps. And each time you do, and you walk back, pat on his shoulder and congratulate him.

2. Distract him momentarily by throwing him a fav toy and such. He will learn to associate the noise outdoors as a play time and disconnect it with what he considers a danger. Keep the choice of toy constant and he will probably get you the toy when he hears the noise.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: November 17, 2022, 05:23:07 pm »
Just thought I'd see if anyone else's dog does this.  Whenever he hears anything in the back he rushes over to the door to be let out, but it's pissing down outside today so he doesn't actually go out, just looks into the garden through the open door.  But... when I close the door and he turns around to head back to his spot on the sofa, he shakes himself dry, even though he didn't actually get rained on, he just saw rain from inside.

People do it too. "It makes you shudder", and give a little shivering shudder.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: November 18, 2022, 09:22:31 am »

It's interesting because I've always encouraged that type of behaviour in my dogs but it depends what you're looking for. I was burgled years back so it's always been top of the list of behaviours I look for and encourage.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #4684 on: November 20, 2022, 01:05:27 pm »
It's interesting because I've always encouraged that type of behaviour in my dogs but it depends what you're looking for. I was burgled years back so it's always been top of the list of behaviours I look for and encourage.

Well yes it definitely depends on what you are looking for.

But in any case, you want to show your dog that you are the alpha. In your absence, the dog may assume that role and once you are back into the vicinity, he/she must give you back that crown.

In that regard, some dogs are much easier to train than others. Doberman, Pinscher, and Alsatian are all natural guard dogs. So it going to take a lot more effort to establish yourself as the alpha. But thats all it takes. Time and effort.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4685 on: November 20, 2022, 03:56:33 pm »
Not advice but…ours has taken to sniffing out slippers/socks and he went quiet for a few minutes the other day and I found him stuck to one of our ‘sea shoes’ by the Velcro, just sat there patiently waiting for someone to remove it from his beard
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4686 on: November 20, 2022, 04:08:35 pm »
Not advice but…ours has taken to sniffing out slippers/socks and he went quiet for a few minutes the other day and I found him stuck to one of our ‘sea shoes’ by the Velcro, just sat there patiently waiting for someone to remove it from his beard

Mine loves socks, absolutely loves them, but only when you're wearing them. She wants the sock right now as soon as you take your shoe off, but once she has both of them she loses interest about 2 min later.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4687 on: November 21, 2022, 03:05:16 pm »
There used to be an Argos advert on the telly that had the exact same doorbell chime as ours. Whenever it came on, the dog would start barking and leg it to the front door.

Last year we got a Ring doorbell.

And now there's a Ring doorbell advert. Same response from the dog  ;D
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4688 on: November 21, 2022, 03:07:46 pm »

:lmao

This is disgusting, but...

I live with my wife and two daughters. You always know when one is 'on' because the dog always manages to find a pair of worn knickers, takes them into a corner, and sets about licking away at them   :puke2
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: November 21, 2022, 03:24:40 pm »
There used to be an Argos advert on the telly that had the exact same doorbell chime as ours. Whenever it came on, the dog would start barking and leg it to the front door.

Last year we got a Ring doorbell.

And now there's a Ring doorbell advert. Same response from the dog  ;D

haha mine (somehow, cos he's thick as mince) knows when it's on the telly/radio and when it's the real deal thankfully, cos he goes off his fucking head when it does go!

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #4690 on: November 28, 2022, 10:50:08 am »
PLEASE nobody follow the advice to be 'alpha'.

This theory was put to bed many years ago and all stems from erroneous research published 52 years ago by David Mech regarding Wolves...captive wolves, that was transposed to the dog world. He went out of his way to tell everyone to disregard the idea after realising his mistakes, but the dog world is full of retards that don't know what they're on about and a circle of regurgitation of older outdated and wrong info circulates, endlessly it seems, largely helped by the likes of Cesar Millan and co. Domestic dog's don't form stable hierarchies therefore the concept of 'alpha' is nonsense (research on strays proved this).

Building confidence through positive experiences is the key to a happy and relaxed dog, nobody needs to be grabbing their dog to 'show them they are alpha and in control'. Your dog will not see it that way at all, you'll add fear and not only will the dog barking out of fear learn there is good reason to be fearful it will also learn to be fearful of you for adding things (like being grabbed), which - as I mentioned earlier in this thread - can lead to defensive aggression, and you don't want that added to the pot. Fearful dogs are not what anyone wants or needs.

Stop 'learning' from youtube bellends or people that have done £300 6 week 'dog psychology' courses and learn from those that actually learned about animals. For your own good.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4691 on: November 28, 2022, 02:20:56 pm »
Wasn't Cesar Milan outed a few years ago for just being an horrible c*nt?

I remember being at the vets once and mentioned that Floyd has a mind of his own and will sleep on the bed/couch etc and the vet telling me not to let him get away with that stuff because he won't respect me or do as he's told, I was just looking at him and thinking 'you've never owned a boxer mate' ;D I've trained the fucker, he knows the commands but he's selective in his interpretation and that's fine, I didn't sign up for a robot dog.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4692 on: November 28, 2022, 02:27:37 pm »
My dog was spayed last week. She now probably hates us. Felt a bit sorry for herself for a couple of days. But chirpier now but took her to the vet and she still has a temperature and a bit of soreness so she prescribed anti biopics and more pain killers.

She’s always slept in her crate and been fine with it. But with a come on she was shaking it around and couldn’t settle so we let her out to sleep in the bed we have for her in the living room. She’s fine for now because she seems to just want to stay in there most of the day too, but are we going to have trouble getting her back in the crate at some point?

She’s also stopped mopping outside when she needs the toilet, only goes on a lead on a walk now. Must be something psychological.

Also (and a I don’t blame her) she but me earlier when I was trying to put the little suit thing on her to stop her scratching/licking her wound. Very hard to manoeuvre her about whilst trying to avoid touching her tummy.

No real advice needed, hoping for some reassurance from anyone who’s been through similar that she’ll be back to her old self soon enough.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4693 on: November 28, 2022, 03:45:50 pm »

This theory was put to bed many years ago and all stems from erroneous research published 52 years ago by David Mech regarding Wolves...captive wolves, that was transposed to the dog world. He went out of his way to tell everyone to disregard the idea after realising his mistakes, but the dog world is full of retards that don't know what they're on about and a circle of regurgitation of older outdated and wrong info circulates, endlessly it seems, largely helped by the likes of Cesar Millan and co. Domestic dog's don't form stable hierarchies therefore the concept of 'alpha' is nonsense (research on strays proved this).

Building confidence through positive experiences is the key to a happy and relaxed dog, nobody needs to be grabbing their dog to 'show them they are alpha and in control'. Your dog will not see it that way at all, you'll add fear and not only will the dog barking out of fear learn there is good reason to be fearful it will also learn to be fearful of you for adding things (like being grabbed), which - as I mentioned earlier in this thread - can lead to defensive aggression, and you don't want that added to the pot. Fearful dogs are not what anyone wants or needs.

Stop 'learning' from youtube bellends or people that have done £300 6 week 'dog psychology' courses and learn from those that actually learned about animals. For your own good.

The missus has got two uncles, and a grandad, who all think they're dog experts because they've had dogs. All of course giving very different advice, a lot of it absolute nonsense. One of them is very much in the 'if they wee or poo anywhere indoors immediately shout and wail and rub their nose in it'. Her grandad is very much in the 'must be seen to be the alpha, shout at the dog for anything remotely 'naughty' he might do'. And of course most conversations we have with them about dogs normally starts with 'Well what we did with OUR dog was....' as if every dog is the same.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: November 28, 2022, 04:42:41 pm »
Mrs R got home today from work to be met by the dog giving a the usual big welcome - but the dog had her tail under and ears down, a sure sign she'd done something naughty.

And there, in the middle of the living room, were a couple of puddles of puke and a couple of sloppy poos. The dog then proceded to retch again.

The cause became obvious when Mrs R spotted a torn-up box and wrapper of a Chocolate Orange when she went upstairs.

Turns out our eldest had left a whole choc orange in a bag on the landing and, as the landing is full of [mainly empty] big boxes and bags needing to go back into the loft after we put up our deccies over the weekend, nobody noticed it. Until the dog sniffed it out and the greedy pig munched through it all. An entire one.

A rush to the vets where they admitted her as an emergency, pumping her with a charcoal-based anti-toxin, which she tried to spit out so went all over her (she's mainly white), the vet, and my wife. And we're £107 lighter.

Since she's got back home, she's puked black sick on the [carpeted] stairs.

Many is the time I regret ever relenting and letting my wife and daughters persuade me to get a dog.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: November 28, 2022, 04:49:15 pm »

Whilst agreeing with the general gist, you also cannot let a dog succeed in trying to be 'boss'

Friends of ours lost their Bichon in early 2020. It was a lovely dog. They got another just as lockdown started (just before prices doubled/trebled) and it's feisty. The husband has been working long hours since before the last one died, so isn't around for much of each day. The dog hates him - and he lets it boss him around. It's got really 'protective' of the wife, snarling and trying to bite when the husband gives the wife a cuddle, and not letting the husband into the bed on a night -proper going for him.

He won't even try to 'alpha up' to the dog, when it's a clear circumstance when setting rules and order of dominance is needed. He shouldn't have let it get to that stage in the first place but, now it's a real problem, he needs to tackle this head-on.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4696 on: November 28, 2022, 06:49:35 pm »
Spays - be careful. If she's resorted to biting you I'd be keeping an ever closer eye on her. I've checked god knows how many spay sites and can't remember any trying to bite me. Usually they're sore but not so sore that biting should occur. I'd be concerned about that, sounds like she's not gone to plan to me.

It's always best to look at your dog in the way you would a kid. You want to teach them about the world and then hope they do the right things from what they've learned and experienced, being a good role model etc, rather than being someone who only gets them to do what you want them to do - regardless of how they feel about things - out of fear. A dog that 'rules' a person is just a dog that hasn't been raised right in the same way that a little shit of a teenager hasn't. You want to have a good relationship and in truth that starts before you'll usually even get the dog, but even then, most people start the whole process making mistake after mistake and then spending the following months and years either hoping to fix the things that are wrong (which they usually do incorrectly and make it worse) or they don't even try and just accept the bad things as part of the dog. These things can be worked on and rectified and it doesn't take a beating to do it either.
Consistency more than anything is key. If the dog knows what things mean life should be easier. If lots of effort is put in to make things positive for the dog, life should be a lot easier. But we mess up so much, right down to even the words we use. How many people do you know that say about fifteen words when they want their dog to sit, or shove its bum down? Not only is one word enough, you don't need any words or to touch the dog at all if you understand more how dogs work.

You can lead and instil confidence without having to be any kind of a bully, and what many people don't realise is that the dog only understands so much of what we want to get across to them but that's more so on us (although they pick up on and learn a hell of a lot more than we realise through their off-the-charts ability to read body language, especially). My last dog would do anything I asked her to do, not because she was fearful but, much like us, she was happy to do things when she got something out of it. Think about it: would you sit if someone said sit at you fifteen times when there's no reason for you to do so? Or before you've even learned what sit even means? Would you if they shoved you to the floor to make you sit? Or how about if you didn't sit when asked and you received a beating until you did so? Or would you be more likely to sit if, when you did sit, you were given something you saw as good? We all should know this yet still many of us do the former techniques before the latter. Why?
The principals of behaviour are very similar but for some reason we expect people to treat us a certain way, and many of us will treat other people a certain way, but we look at animals and recede back to a caveman way of being. And that's largely because we think it's an animal and it won't understand. The weak link in the chain here is us and our lack of understanding and unwillingness to learn about them and how best to raise them and treat them and interact with them.

Much of what has just been said in the last few posts goes back to the same thing that I mentioned previously about the wolf studies. The dog world was based on that and it STILL hasn't filtered down to everyone that all of that foundational 'knowledge' was incorrect. Cesar Millan, a chief exponent of such outdated methods, got to be who he is because some rich prick liked his story as a migrant and gave him a show off the back of pretty much nothing. He hadn't studied, he'd just learned off what I think was his grandad. He then got a show that reached tens of millions of people, the world over, and set any progress right the way back. And still there are new guys coming through doing all the wrong things, getting thousands and thousands of people to watch and copy them, and all whilst doing things that can make things worse - and dangerous!

The older generations still think of this and the existing knowledge at the time and wouldn't have even heard of anything else since, I'm sure. And as alluded to above, there are also now loads of people out there spreading more info because they did a shit short course or two who should not be passing on 'wisdom' because they have none. It's why things have always been and will continue to be slow moving in terms of the dog world and behaviour.
A mechanic can sort your car, a dentist can sort your teeth and so on, yet we trust clueless people to tell us how to 'fix' our dogs. The experts for this do exist and they can be easily found. (By the way, the comment about the vet isn't surprising, vets aren't experts in behaviour until they have added those qualifications themselves as well. Many of the older style ones will likely act like the one mentioned because they haven't sufficiently studied it).

When I was doing my studies I remember reading about some of the studies they conducted in the 50's and 60's etc. Some of it was truly frightening but we did learn what dogs can and cannot do. Funnily enough one such study involved whacking the dogs as a punishment and it revealed that the dogs don't have the ability to associate between incident and punishment after more than a few seconds, so you're beating them and they don't know why. You literally teach them to be afraid of you rather than to correct any bad behaviour. It only works as a punishment if it's right in the moment (much like us touching an electrified fence or a hot fire surround or something), and guess what, they still see you delivering the punishment so they still learn to be afraid of you. So if you come home and find your dog has done something, no amount of shouting or hitting will have any effect other than a negative one in terms of your relationship with one another. A classic example of that is coming home to the dog and finding it has shit everywhere, so you smack it, or rub its face in it. That'll teach it, huh! What you're likely to get is either a dog that shits more so because it's afraid of your return, or starts chewing as a way to relieve the anxious stress, or one that removes the evidence by eating it. And so on and so on...

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #4697 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57:35 pm »

I don't disagree. I just use the term "alpha" for the want of a better word.

When you are out walking your dog, with or without a leash, and it sees another dog, its instinct is to probably start chasing the dog. It could perceive the other dog to be a threat or just wants a playmate. In the first scenario, you, as its "owner" need to show your dog that you are not threatened by the presence of another dog. If it assumes that you are in control of the situation, not just the two examples, but any, then it won't bother to get aroused or get pointy taily every time something happens.

I dont know how you can show your dog that you are in control of a situation other than being referred to as the "alpha". If there is a better word for it, I will gladly start using it.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4698 on: December 1, 2022, 11:26:40 pm »
I know your intentions are good but you've got it totally wrong I'm afraid. Your dog and the other dog would have signalled their intentions to each other multiple times before you've likely even clocked anything. Like I said above, dogs are experts when it comes to body language because their sense of vision is very different to ours and they pick up on small movements all the time. There are lots of things dogs do to signal to each other before they've come to actually meet. They're already 'speaking' to each other to let the other know how they feel. (try and find some body language/canine communication videos, they're ace for insight BUT...there are people out there putting out duff info here too, so find reputable, well qualified people to learn from. If they don't have at least a degree - and it should really be more - then disregard and find better).
If a dog is looking to an owner for 'help' first you need to think, are they looking to me for help or am I projecting human thoughts/feelings onto a dog and assuming this is the case. Secondly, it may be that the other dog has already signalled to your dog and your dog doesn't want what's coming. That doesn't necessarily mean a confrontation, it can simply be one that is too excitable etc. And thirdly, it can be the result of poor socialisation through life whereby the dog doesn't want to mix because it's fearful, then it may well give you the eyes as if pleading to be saved and taken away from such a situation. All are possible but the first ones will be more frequent.

Alpha, and your general mindset, is that you have to take control and show the dog not to be fearful, but you're going about things in the wrong way. As I said before, you can encourage and shape and reinforce and you can lead without any of the 'taking charge' mindset because your dog won't see it as that at all. That's still very much a human concept and it STILL comes from the erroneous wolf research from decades ago. The 'alpha' wolf isn't a 'take charge' kinda guy, they're simply the breeders. Disregard all the wolf and alpha/dominance theory right now and save yourself a lot of problems down the road. Trust me.

I don't know a term off the top of my head. I don't really think you need one because you don't need to play a part or perform a role, as such. You and your dog go through life learning. You should definitely be the one helping your dog to learn but are you a teacher? Are you a leader? Yeah whatever, just words.

In fact, if videos are your thing then search out some things on why dominance theory is wrong. Hopefully you'll get some pointers on exactly where the mistakes are and why they were dispelled so long ago.

Actually, let me put a little scenario to you, you tell me how you would fix things and then I'll tell you what I actually did to fix it. I guarantee to leave you scratching your head. It'll be interesting to see which way you come at it: you've got a dog, lets say he's a shepherd of some kind and he's showing territorial behaviour in and around the home. If he sees anyone through the window or via the door he goes off, out on his walks, near his home, he does the same. What do you do?

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4699 on: December 2, 2022, 10:03:36 am »
The missus has got two uncles, and a grandad, who all think they're dog experts because they've had dogs. All of course giving very different advice, a lot of it absolute nonsense. One of them is very much in the 'if they wee or poo anywhere indoors immediately shout and wail and rub their nose in it'. Her grandad is very much in the 'must be seen to be the alpha, shout at the dog for anything remotely 'naughty' he might do'. And of course most conversations we have with them about dogs normally starts with 'Well what we did with OUR dog was....' as if every dog is the same.

We have a neighbour like this,his dogs are terrified of him and he's full of unwanted advice about disciplining our dog.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4700 on: December 6, 2022, 04:42:44 pm »

Actually, let me put a little scenario to you, you tell me how you would fix things and then I'll tell you what I actually did to fix it. I guarantee to leave you scratching your head. It'll be interesting to see which way you come at it: you've got a dog, lets say he's a shepherd of some kind and he's showing territorial behaviour in and around the home. If he sees anyone through the window or via the door he goes off, out on his walks, near his home, he does the same. What do you do?

I'll just tell you what I did. I moved the dog's bed.

You see, being a guarding breed it was in him to do just that. His bed was positioned right next to the front door and he could hear everything whenever he was in it, meaning he was always on edge rather than relaxing when in his bed. Moving his bed allowed him to finally relax and took his mind away from the guarding (which is rooted in fear and from fear stem all kinds of other things). Not only did he settle within the house he also settled outside of the house.
I could've gone to the window/door whenver he barked at things, pulled him aside and showed him I was in control but 1) he would have bit me, 100%; and 2) you don't need to do such things, you just have to pay attention to the situation and what the dog is doing/telling you.

Force can get you results, or what people think are results, but you always create something else negative in doing so. I saw someone the other day that wanted their dog to open its mouth due to what it was chewing on. All done by force and the dog was petrified the whole time. That may be ok now with an 'alpha' owner that will beat the dog if it dares do anything, but one day that guy will do that - or a kid will do something similar - and the dog won't be in the right place to put up with it and bang, it'll bite. Instead, turn such things into good things. Me touching your face is a good thing because you get treats. Me touching your muzzle is a good thing. Me touching your mouth is a good thing, me inspecting your mouth is a good thing. Positively reinforcing such things brings relaxation to you and your dog because your dog soon learns that if you put this little inspection on cue, let's say by calling it a "Look see" or something like that, your dog will come to eagerly anticipate and enjoy such things because it'll know good things are coming, it gets something good out of it, just as soon as the weirdo human fishes around inside its mouth for a bit. Treats!

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4701 on: December 9, 2022, 02:28:40 pm »
Is thunder storm anxiety a thing in old dogs (that previously were ok)?
My dog’s around 12 and has just got this, she just goes a bit shaky.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4702 on: December 9, 2022, 03:20:28 pm »
Can happen at any age. Can be a sudden sound which sets them off once and then that's it, even if they've been fine before.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4703 on: December 9, 2022, 11:10:03 pm »
^ thanks Craig. I didn’t know that (about anxiety to thunder at any age).
Fortunately she gets over it quickly - as soon as the storm passes.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: December 9, 2022, 11:37:02 pm »
^ thanks Craig. I didn’t know that (about anxiety to thunder at any age).
Fortunately she gets over it quickly - as soon as the storm passes.

Pet remedy works,I use the spray but you can also get the plug in diffusers.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: December 10, 2022, 12:36:11 am »
There is also a thing called a ThunderShirt to help with anxiety/stressed out dogs. Though if they don't like thunder and then get an association for putting it on I don't know if that's better or worse. For noises like fireworks and thunder I'm sure I played videos from youtube with increasing volume over a period of time for Floyd so he got used to it and felt reassured - he isn't bothered by either so I guess it worked.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4706 on: December 10, 2022, 08:54:38 am »
Playing sounds (desensitisation) is the way to go because your dog has developed a fear and it is that that needs to be undone. Really, we should all do it with all of our dogs from day one, but we rarely do. You can buy recordings that have all manner of sounds on them. Play these at low level and increase volume with positive outcomes, and/or pair with good things like meal times or treats (counter conditioning) and the dog should grow up confident if done right. Do it too fast and you can create problems. Other things mentioned are just putting the plaster on after the fact rather than getting in there beforehand. That's for raising a pup but you can still do this to dogs that develop a fear later in life. Get recordings of thunder sounds, play at low level and increase slowly over time until the dog shows no response, or better, do this whilst adding treats or play them when the dog is eating (paired association with something good, hunger drive should override, but doesn't always when it comes to fear, so it needs to be done slowly within your dogs comfort range). If it starts trembling again you've got it too loud or have gone too fast so go back to the lowest level and take it slower next time. Don't have any other thing that could be seen as negative going on at these times and you'll soon sort it.
The only other thing is that given it's an older dog you may have something else going on so monitor more closely incase there's anything you've missed and if so a quick check-up at the vets would be wise.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: December 10, 2022, 09:03:53 am »
^ yes great. Thanks Frank and everyone. It’s our first dog in years - an adoption - so good to get some advice, we haven’t had her that long so just getting to know her and vice versa.
No storms today

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4708 on: December 10, 2022, 09:42:39 pm »
She's beautiful. You can also teach incompatible behaviours. For example, if she hears loud noises and starts shaking, and you are there, move off somewhere and call her to you, all excited like to get her attention, then when she comes to you get her to do a simple sit or something like that, and reward her for it. She's not thinking of the other thing if she's thinking of what you're now asking. Ya see? Plan ahead though, get some treats beforehand etc.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4709 on: December 10, 2022, 09:44:08 pm »
What is she by the way, she looks small. Breed definitely plays a part.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4710 on: December 10, 2022, 10:54:37 pm »
^ Pom Spitz mix - she was a breeding bitch in a puppy mill so not had the best conditions for years. But she’s great - a very nice super friendly dog and not timid.
We had her checked over by the vet and she’s in quite good condition they said apart from some gait issues with her back legs (can’t do steps up or down but can walk about a mile no problem).

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4711 on: December 11, 2022, 07:26:07 am »
Yeah, can definitely see a Japanese spitz in there. I bloody love old dogs. My last one went like that at 14 but she was also dragging her hind feet causing her nails to bleed and she also started getting really restless and whining (not like her), which to me, was her way of saying she was in pain or discomfort, so I had to make that God-awful decision and let her go to sleep. Bloody horrible.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: December 11, 2022, 12:21:47 pm »
^ yes mate, not looking forward to that, but yes also, how good are old dogs, this one is a dream, doesn't bark, friendly with everything, walks to heel off the lead, really knows how to interact with other dogs - partly because she's raised hundreds I guess!

Offline "Stuart"

• Kopite
« Reply #4713 on: December 15, 2022, 11:17:40 am »
Hi guys - after a bit of advice. We've got a 14 week old Goldendoodle who on the whole is pretty good for a puppy. Only thing that's starting to get annoying is whenever we are out of the house if he sees a person or a dog he jumps up on his back paws and is desperate to say hello. I want to train him to just ignore them but not sure whats the best way as when he's big its going to be very annoying

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
« Reply #4714 on: December 16, 2022, 09:04:21 pm »
There are a couple of ways you can tackle this depending on how you want things going forwards. If you want him to ignore other dogs and people and walk on by with you there's a way for that. If you want him to be able to meet and greet politely then there are ways to do that too.

Walking by means making you more interesting to the dog, so you have to work on lots of things at home until you find things that really get him going, then train these over and over so that the thing you have at your disposal (be it treats or something to carry or the promise of something to play with) really has a hold over him and gets him doing things for you...for that. If you can put this on cue so that a certain word triggers a certain thing - for example, *word* means I'm going to throw the ball for you now - then he'll be on tenter hooks waiting for that word and that ball to appear so will have lots of focus on you. This takes work, it takes a dog that has a 'thing' (some dogs have no interest in chasing balls etc...breed dependent really), but once you find it you can tap into it and make it your thing that gives you that edge.

If you want better manners then again that starts at home in that every meeting with someone, including yourself can be a lesson that when you meet people you sit but there needs to be a reason for a pup to do that so its out with the cute puppy running at me I'll fuss it even though it's jumping all over me, and in with the hey nice little pupper, can you sit for me first and then we'll go onto fusses etc. Train that at home and with every visitor and encourage others to get him to sit too (this in itself needs to be trained of course). With dogs he'll soon learn that some dogs won't want this and they'll let him know what's ok and what isn't, but encouraging calm meetings, preferably when he's had time to settle (so no highly arousing areas where there are dozens of dogs running all over the place, for example, not just yet at least, because that will all be too stimulating and you'll have little control) just so he learns at your pace as well as his own.
In short, take it slowly, strip it back and have an idea in mind to build things up. Too many people take their new pups to a place where there are loads of other dogs and expect that pup to still listen to them - not gonna happen, not without lots of work before, during and after. You'll also want to train a 'recall' that will eventually have him coming to you when off-lead too, this is very important.
But the more work you put in now the better the long-term will be for you and him.

Offline "Stuart"

• Kopite
« Reply #4715 on: December 19, 2022, 11:28:10 am »
There are a couple of ways you can tackle this depending on how you want things going forwards. If you want him to ignore other dogs and people and walk on by with you there's a way for that. If you want him to be able to meet and greet politely then there are ways to do that too.

Walking by means making you more interesting to the dog, so you have to work on lots of things at home until you find things that really get him going, then train these over and over so that the thing you have at your disposal (be it treats or something to carry or the promise of something to play with) really has a hold over him and gets him doing things for you...for that. If you can put this on cue so that a certain word triggers a certain thing - for example, *word* means I'm going to throw the ball for you now - then he'll be on tenter hooks waiting for that word and that ball to appear so will have lots of focus on you. This takes work, it takes a dog that has a 'thing' (some dogs have no interest in chasing balls etc...breed dependent really), but once you find it you can tap into it and make it your thing that gives you that edge.

If you want better manners then again that starts at home in that every meeting with someone, including yourself can be a lesson that when you meet people you sit but there needs to be a reason for a pup to do that so its out with the cute puppy running at me I'll fuss it even though it's jumping all over me, and in with the hey nice little pupper, can you sit for me first and then we'll go onto fusses etc. Train that at home and with every visitor and encourage others to get him to sit too (this in itself needs to be trained of course). With dogs he'll soon learn that some dogs won't want this and they'll let him know what's ok and what isn't, but encouraging calm meetings, preferably when he's had time to settle (so no highly arousing areas where there are dozens of dogs running all over the place, for example, not just yet at least, because that will all be too stimulating and you'll have little control) just so he learns at your pace as well as his own.
In short, take it slowly, strip it back and have an idea in mind to build things up. Too many people take their new pups to a place where there are loads of other dogs and expect that pup to still listen to them - not gonna happen, not without lots of work before, during and after. You'll also want to train a 'recall' that will eventually have him coming to you when off-lead too, this is very important.
But the more work you put in now the better the long-term will be for you and him.

Thank you that's really helpful. Think we want more of the second so will start on that!

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4716 on: January 21, 2023, 10:08:35 am »
12 year old lab has blood in mucas coming from one nostril they suspect nasal tumour which is a grim prognosis of 3-5 months survival, with radiotherapy 12 months survival.

Cost of treatment would be 6 grand and a case of putting her under anaesthetic every week for the treatment  which she reacts badly to for the following 24 hours. A real Sophie's choice has anyone here experienced similar, or gone through cancer with dogs ?
No time for caution.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4717 on: January 21, 2023, 10:25:25 am »
12 year old lab has blood in mucas coming from one nostril they suspect nasal tumour which is a grim prognosis of 3-5 months survival, with radiotherapy 12 months survival.

Cost of treatment would be 6 grand and a case of putting her under anaesthetic every week for the treatment  which she reacts badly to for the following 24 hours. A real Sophie's choice has anyone here experienced similar, or gone through cancer with dogs ?

I haven't experienced cancer but I've lost my fair share of dogs in my lifetime to know how hard the decision is to let them go.

She's had a great life at 12yrs old and even without the possible cancer diagnosis probably won't have many more, do you really want her to suffer having treatment so you can have a few more months 😥

If she was half that age or even a couple of years younger I'd most likely do whatever to give her a bit longer but under these circumstances I'd let her go.

I can barely see to type this as the tears are flowing so god knows how you're feeling mate 💔

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: January 21, 2023, 06:59:51 pm »

Our last dog had something very similar to dementia;she bumbled along for a while,eating well and sleeping a lot and our vet assured us that she wasn't suffering.

Then her back legs gave out one day and she was struggling to walk.We rushed her to the vet,who examined her and offered to give her an injection to 'stimulate the brain'.She warned us that it might not work though and even if it did it could take up to a week.

We made the decision then to let her go.She was thirteen,she'd had a wonderful life and the thought of her spending what would probably be the last week of her like unable to move was too horrible to think about.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: January 21, 2023, 10:08:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies pretty heartbroken about it all.
No time for caution.