Author Topic: Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive  (Read 2235 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:59:58 pm »
Just about to start on BBC3. Anyone watching this?

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:01:23 am »
I've been watching this. Rather funny. His David Mitchell impression in the last one was top notch.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:20:20 am »
I love anything Rob Brydon is involved in, as he reminds me of Steve Coogan (but Welsh).

Having seen the first two episodes of this he's continued to maintain his impressiveness on me.

"I'd like Fern Britton and lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes either side of Dave or Jane, two giggling chubbies."

Brilliant.
AHA!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:52:44 pm »
Surprised so little has been said on this on here. I thought more people would take an interest in it. This weeks was hilarious and the show is getting better and better, I think. Great viewing when there is nothing else on of a night time anyway.

Offline gibber_blot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 08:04:02 am »
I've caught a couple of episodes of this... it's great stuff. Does anyone else get the impression that when it was filmed, the audience in the game show thought it was real?

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 08:09:14 am »
Kept forgetting it was on, interesting format, Brydon is a comic genius in the making.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:42:19 pm »
It's a bit of fun
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:05 pm »
It's Ok, but I'm a little put off by Jane Moore being on there. Also, it borrows a little too heavily from the Larry Sanders show, but apart from that, it's one of the better shows around.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:30:14 pm »
Last one starting now on 3...

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:44:29 pm »
Did you see last episodes? "Who the fuck is Keith Barnet?"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 12:35:31 am by Garstonite »

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 11:06:48 pm »
Did you see last episodes? "Who the fuck is Keither Barnet?"

:D

Loved his digs at Trisha- 'She appeals to pondlife. In the North. Who watch her on tellies they've stolen'.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:38:40 am »
Surprised it hasn't particularly taken off. They'll inevitably put it on BBC1 or 2 eventually. Hopefully more people will take an interest. I've found it hilarious at times.

"Who's Dave Berry?"
"He's a presenter on MTV."
"Is he funny?"
"Well, no, not really."
"He's not famous and he's not funny, he's perfect for our show then isn't he?"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:11:09 pm by Garstonite »

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 05:36:18 pm »
New series. On tonight. Watch it. Or lose my respect for all eternity.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 05:41:27 pm »
New series. On tonight. Watch it. Or lose my respect for all eternity.

Thanks for the reminder. Trailers look good. 'He's not a Dale Winton type of gay, more a threatening 'snatch your mobile' type of gay'.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 05:43:52 pm »
Quote from Jane Moore, team captain, on the BBC website: "This is actually worse than the last series. I didn't think it could actually get any worse... it's worse." ;D

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 1, 2007, 07:58:18 am »
I thought it was decent. I couldn't help but think that I wish I could remember what series one was like. When I'm looking forward to a second series of a comedy, I've usually bought the first one on DVD and watched it, in between. I almost felt like I had no reference, if you know what I mean.

Still, some funny bits, and it's clear that last nights was intended to set up the rest of the series, introducing some of the new characters.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #16 on: May 1, 2007, 08:40:00 am »
'Was it the custard creams or the jaffa cakes?'

Offline Juice Terry

• Anny Roader
  • Got any Gin?
« Reply #17 on: May 1, 2007, 09:54:00 am »
'Was it the custard creams or the jaffa cakes?'

:D it's always the custard creams!

Thought it was excellent last night. Looks like this series is gonna have more Extras style cameos judging by the Eammon Holmes sketch at the end.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
Series 1 out on DVD now. Go on, it's just a bit of fun...

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »
"I thought it was Nanny McPhee."

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »
He's in Gavin & Stacey. Probably the main reason I watch it!
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 09:40:26 am »
I thought it was decent. I couldn't help but think that I wish I could remember what series one was like. When I'm looking forward to a second series of a comedy, I've usually bought the first one on DVD and watched it, in between. I almost felt like I had no reference, if you know what I mean.

Still, some funny bits, and it's clear that last nights was intended to set up the rest of the series, introducing some of the new characters.

Just watching S1 on DVD now. Recommended- it's not in the AD/CYE class but easily better than so much of what passes for comedy these days. It deserves better scheduling, that's for sure, or it may just become one of those cult (as in no-one saw it) favourites.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 09:59:34 am »
Only recently started watching this on BBC3 re-runs.

Excellent stuff. Some of the lines and timing are real genius.

Particularly loved the Welsh tourist board / Rhys Ivans stuff, and the "Who do you think you are" episode.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 10:07:56 am »
Only recently started watching this on BBC3 re-runs.

Excellent stuff. Some of the lines and timing are real genius.

Particularly loved the Welsh tourist board / Rhys Ivans stuff, and the "Who do you think you are" episode.

Did you ever see Marion and Geoff, Nidge? Brydon doing straight-to-camera for 10 min stretches?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2007, 10:58:07 am »
Did you ever see Marion and Geoff, Nidge? Brydon doing straight-to-camera for 10 min stretches?

Yeah - I'm a big Brydon fan and always watched Marion and Geoff - I believe much of it was ad-libbed as well.

Don't know why I missed annually first time round - would normally watch ANY brydon, and really like Dave Gorman as well (ever since "I'm Dave Gorman" was late night weekly BBC2 about 6 years ago) - I guess it's first run must have just clashed with some other part of my regular viewing.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2007, 05:09:58 pm »
Just watching S1 on DVD now. Recommended- it's not in the AD/CYE class but easily better than so much of what passes for comedy these days. It deserves better scheduling, that's for sure, or it may just become one of those cult (as in no-one saw it) favourites.

I take it it's only been brought out recently, because I went looking for it a while back and had no luck? Anyway, I see it's 12.99 on play.com. I'll have to get it. Seriously, I must spend at  least sixty quid on DVDs a month. It's my habit. Along with alcohol and cigarettes.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 05:16:42 pm »
I take it it's only been brought out recently, because I went looking for it a while back and had no luck? Anyway, I see it's 12.99 on play.com. I'll have to get it. Seriously, I must spend at  least sixty quid on DVDs a month. It's my habit. Along with alcohol and cigarettes.

Yes, very recent; just rented it. Spent £120 buying the complete Six Feet Under so I'm renting only for a while.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
Yes, very recent; just rented it. Spent £120 buying the complete Six Feet Under so I'm renting only for a while.

Ouch. Probably worth it, though. Incidentally, I quite like Six Feet Under myself and I read an article about Peter Krause, who about to star in a new show in America called 'Dirty Sexy Money', where he plays a lawyer who has to look after one of America's wealthiest families. It probably won't come out over here for a while, but it certainly looks like one to watch out for. Here's the 'premise', from wikipedia:

"Some people say money is the root of all evil. They may be right. Nick George's whole life has been lived in the shadow of the Darling family, but as an adult he's leading the perfect life as an idealistic lawyer, until his father's suspicious death. The absurdly wealthy Darlings of New York have asked him to take over his father's job as their personal lawyer, but the money that will allow him the freedom to be an altruistic do-gooder is only part of the picture. That same money pulls him into the dubious doings of the Darling clan. Power, privilege and family money are a volatile cocktail."

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 05:31:49 pm »
Ouch. Probably worth it, though. Incidentally, I quite like Six Feet Under myself and I read an article about Peter Krause, who about to star in a new show in America called 'Dirty Sexy Money', where he plays a lawyer who has to look after one of America's wealthiest families. It probably won't come out over here for a while, but it certainly looks like one to watch out for. Here's the 'premise', from wikipedia:

"Some people say money is the root of all evil. They may be right. Nick George's whole life has been lived in the shadow of the Darling family, but as an adult he's leading the perfect life as an idealistic lawyer, until his father's suspicious death. The absurdly wealthy Darlings of New York have asked him to take over his father's job as their personal lawyer, but the money that will allow him the freedom to be an altruistic do-gooder is only part of the picture. That same money pulls him into the dubious doings of the Darling clan. Power, privilege and family money are a volatile cocktail."
Now Sopranos has finished I need a good meaty saga to get stuck into, and each boxset is around 10 hours.
Interesting potential there, didn't like him much in SFU but will look out for that. Ta.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 05:36:37 pm »
I don't know where I'd be without 'my shows'. As Larry David I think says in one CYE episode, 'I think I'd wander the streets'. God bless CSI, 24, Cold Case, Shark and the like.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 05:37:56 pm »
I don't know where I'd be without 'my shows'. As Larry David I think says in one CYE episode, 'I think I'd wander the streets'. God bless CSI, 24, Cold Case, Shark and the like.

Indeed. Without them, we'd be on here even more, or (worse!) be forced to talk to people. So, you see, they fulfil an important social function.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »
Paramount at 10pm tonight for Rob fans.

Rob live in cardiff. (well, Keith Barret live, but you know what I mean)

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:36 am »
Paramount at 10pm tonight for Rob fans.

Rob live in cardiff. (well, Keith Barret live, but you know what I mean)

Great show.

"I love you, you love me.  Will it work.......................?

No."

:D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 07:20:20 pm »
Yeah - I'm a big Brydon fan and always watched Marion and Geoff - I believe much of it was ad-libbed as well.

You'll have seen these already but for any RB or Nighty Night fans, the series he and Julia Davis did together, 'Human Remains' is as bleakly hilarious as it gets.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 8, 2007, 05:26:38 pm »
Been watching the first few episodes of S1 the past couple of days.

A criminally underrated comedy.

'So we've got a fat man who is famous for voicing his thoughts who doesn't want us to mention that he is a fat man famous for voicing his thoughts, a bald woman who doesn't want us to mention that she is bald...'

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 8, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
'Like Eddie Izzard... without the humour.'

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #37 on: July 8, 2007, 10:11:23 pm »
RB is a genius. Must re-watch 'Director's Commentary' at some point

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #38 on: July 9, 2007, 02:24:14 am »
After the sheer brilliance of Marion and Jeff i've been a little underwhelmed by Brydon's output since, not that any of it's been really bad just not quite up to the standards of MAJ, the first series of this brought about the same feeling of underwhelment however the second series and his recent performance in the criminally underlooked but excellent Gavin And Stacey have renewed my faith in Rob, the second series is the best thing he's done since MAJ imho.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 04:08:12 pm »
'Johnny Vaughan?'

'WE KNOW I was good on The Breakfast. WE KNOW I went to the BBC gang, an' it all went wrong. WHAT HAPPENED to my career? WE KNOW that Sara wants to book me on Rob's show. WE KNOW that Rob's gonna say no. WE KNOW that Rob thinks I should be locked up again and throw away the key. NO! NO! NO! HEY GANG! NO!'

'Ross Noble?'

'If he came on, do you think he'd do the old "aww look there's a little monkey comin' out the top of yer head and he's climbing down on a bit of earwax that's actually made of honey, and the honey is comin from small bees that fly out of the nose of a giant, or off a troll's armpit and they're swingin on the hairs and they're all on roller skates and there's Andrew Lloyd Webber... and they've all got spikes on their head and they're all coming down the hill on space-hoppers because we all remember the 70s, I was young then, it was all wonderful... and here comes Barry White... and he's throwin his records that didn't get to number one, they were all just number 2 so he's very upset, he's going... 'I'm the walrus of love', and he's seal clubbin at the same time and all the monkeys are crying tears of honey and there's little pixies and they're going, 'ooo that's very nice, Mr Barry White, thank-you very much'. I appeal to students..." will he do that?'

'I don't know.'

'Because he normally does.'
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:10:50 pm by Garstonite »