Author Topic: The Office AKA The UK Office - 'The Good One' - If you don't like it, piss off  (Read 87391 times)

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
i agree, it's a well put together boring rock song, but i love the way that the picture for that video is literally the middle of the road :lmao

:D
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
The whole thing ended perfectly at the Christmas specials. It was as good a television finale as I've ever seen, and you rarely hear of anyone who dislikes it.

God knows why this film is coming out. The fact there are so few episodes of The Office is part of the reason I love it so much. It set off at an unprecedentedly high standard and ended just as strong. This constant revisiting of the David Brent character goes against what made it all so great in the first place. It makes it less original, it makes it more American.

Ooooh, you're 'ard
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ooooh, you're 'ard

And people say S is just a big pair of tits.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
^^^
I prefer a flan.

It's gonna be hard to judge this against The Office.
I won't be original, and  - as they said themselves - 'Extras' was their difficult second album.

Sayin that, Gervais will reap the benefits of having only two series of The Office insomuch as we won't be bored as our bellies were not full in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:18:24 pm by the good half »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^^^
I prefer a flan.

It's gonna be hard to judge this against The Office.I won't be original, and  - as they said themselves - 'Extras' was their difficult second album.

Sayin that, Gervais will reap the benefits of having only two series of The Office insomuch as we won't be bored as our bellies were not full in the first place.

Why would you judge it against The Office? I mean that was a launching platform for pretty much every main character in it, there's no way you could do a bit of a Brent spin-off with those characters without it costing a bomb.

Its obviously just a bit of a vanity project for Ricky. I don't mind it cos I really like Ricky and find most of his stuff funny, but if you're bored of him I've got no idea why you'd even dream of watching it. I actually love the idea that Brent has just been living his life this whole time. If they did another in twenty years of Brent in an old peoples home I'd still watch it, cos he's a fucking funny character and Ricky has just got it nailed.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan
Why would you judge it against The Office?
I don't what you mean by this but I will try...

Firstly, I (me) am not comparing anything. I've not seen it yet. But...

A program with David Brent it it will immediately begin chats that will compare it to the Office.
Case in point: Godfather 3 is agood movie.
But due to it's older brothers; it's not.

There is unquestionably going to be people saying 'I prefer a flan/The Office'/the original/whatever.

Perhaps I should have said: 'It's going to be hard NOT to judge..'
Nevertheless - this creation here WILL be judged against The Office.

Or am I missing your point?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:15:41 pm by the good half »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well inevitably it will be, but I don't think it should. It's Ricky on his own, without Steve. It's film, not TV. It's only got Brent as a character from The Office.

The Office story ended when Tim and Dawn got together and I'd be horrified if they ever tried to carry that on from there, but Brent as a character lends himself to this sort of thing. To me it's a bit like Alan Partridge, you could just wheel him out in completely different things and it works. I don't think Alpha Papa or Mid-morning Matters should be remotely judged against I'm Alan Partridge, for the same reason.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Ooooh, you're 'ard
No dog with you today El Lobo?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
I rewatched Extras recently and it's actually brilliant. Falls short of the Office and some of the celebs they had one were more miss than hit but there's some excellent set pieces and writing in there; the Christmas special was better than The Office Christmas Special and that's coming from a die hard Office fan.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Well inevitably it will be, but I don't think it should. It's Ricky on his own, without Steve. It's film, not TV. It's only got Brent as a character from The Office.

The Office story ended when Tim and Dawn got together and I'd be horrified if they ever tried to carry that on from there, but Brent as a character lends himself to this sort of thing. To me it's a bit like Alan Partridge, you could just wheel him out in completely different things and it works. I don't think Alpha Papa or Mid-morning Matters should be remotely judged against I'm Alan Partridge, for the same reason.

Has everyone heard of Harry Enfield?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
I rewatched Extras recently and it's actually brilliant. Falls short of the Office and some of the celebs they had one were more miss than hit but there's some excellent set pieces and writing in there; the Christmas special was better than The Office Christmas Special and that's coming from a die hard Office fan.
Extras is brilliant. And I think Life's Too Short is somewhat underappreciated too.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Extras is brilliant. And I think Life's Too Short is somewhat underappreciated too.

Can't agree there. That was truly awful...

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Agree about Extras, I really enjoyed it. For me Life's Too Short would be okay in it's own right, but having seen the Office so much Warrick is just too Brent-like that it grates.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No dog with you today El Lobo?

S....why don't you fuck off

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Who remembers the Coventry conference?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yes, but I don't agree with that in the workplace

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan

I understand.
It shouldn't be...but it will be.

Good point with Partridge; but I will say that Partridge had more room to work with than perhaps Brent does.
But it all depends on how good your writer is - and Gervais is pretty good. Otherwise we'd all have TV shows.

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
Good point. First sensible thing you've said all day.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Stop trying to worm your way into someone elses thread.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
20 years ago today, the first episode aired.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/U1PHpkdvNOs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/U1PHpkdvNOs</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I remember watching that, thinking I’d seen Ricky Getvais on the 11 O’Clock Show and it might be worth a watch. Glad I did!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
‘I had to convince Ricky to keep in the David Brent dance’: An oral history of The Office

As the mockumentary that changed the course of comedy turns 20, Simon Bland speaks to co-creator Stephen Merchant, and some of the show’s stars, to reflect on the creation of a modern comedy classic

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-office-20-ricky-gervais-b1879050.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
This is the show that literally changed my life. I didnt start watching until 2003, one of the lads had a copy of the DVDs and made me watch them one day we bunked off college. I realised I had chosen the wrong thing to study and was just there to appease my parents, dropped out and went in a completely different direction. It all started by watching the Office. Still think it's the greatest comedy ever made.

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
Wish I had a pound for every time I'd watched this, was in school when it came out and remember them talking about it on Sara Cox on radio 1 so watched it and was hooked instantly.
Could near enough recite every episode at one point!

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Two lesbians probably, Sisters, I'm just watching.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wish I had a pound for every time I'd watched this, was in school when it came out and remember them talking about it on Sara Cox on radio 1 so watched it and was hooked instantly.
Could near enough recite every episode at one point!

You’d have made….profit

Offline L4Red

• Kopite

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watched a couple of episodes of this last night on BBC 2. Forgot how brilliant it was. The training episode being the highlight.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Two lesbians probably, Sisters, I'm just watching.
Lovely line.

"...I'd like to hear more from Gareth"

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sure it's been posted before but I only saw this recently, deleted scenes/unused footage. Some great stuff in there.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Watched a couple of episodes of this last night on BBC 2. Forgot how brilliant it was. The training episode being the highlight.
“Get the guitar”
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Sure it's been posted before but I only saw this recently, deleted scenes/unused footage. Some great stuff in there.

Have you seen this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf100kkIm48
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Bishop Muzerewa!

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Bishop Muzerewa!

Even read it is his voice. Unreal.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Even read it is his voice. Unreal.

Haha! Just had to google him. Learn something new every day.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
“Get the guitar”
My favourite line in the whole thing is Tim, exasperated, leaning into shot just as Brent starts to play. “He went home to get it”.

Been watching them as they’ve been shown the past few days. Hasn’t aged a day yet, as good as it was when it first aired.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My favourite line in the whole thing is Tim, exasperated, leaning into shot just as Brent starts to play. “He went home to get it”.

Been watching them as they’ve been shown the past few days. Hasn’t aged a day yet, as good as it was when it first aired.
That did crack me up the most that he went to get it. Or the person going for lunch when song finished. Just a joyous episode.

Freeway song is very catchy also.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I watched it last night too, Always wondered about Dawn going back. Did she get another cab and tell her husband what was going on

Brents dating scenes were great
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.