Author Topic: BBC seeks increase to license fee  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
BBC seeks increase to license fee
« on: October 11, 2005, 10:25:41 am »

The BBC wants to increase the licence fee by 2.3% above inflation to boost its digital services and other output.
The corporation is to present its bid for the next licence fee settlement to a House of Commons select committee.

If the government accepts the BBC's proposal, the fee would rise by £3.14 per year until 2013, not including inflation. The current fee is £126.50.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said the rise would fund the switch-over to digital TV and BBC on-demand services.

"We know that licence fee payers find the licence fee a burden in their household costs," Mr Thompson said.

It is a big step towards digital Britain

"But on the other hand, we also know that they are overwhelmingly in favour of the BBC spearheading these new digital services.

"It is a bigger licence fee, but the BBC gives out of it bigger digital TV and digital radio services. It is a big step towards digital Britain."

The corporation's valuation will kick off negotiations that will eventually see the government set the new annual fee.

'Fairest way'

The current deal ends in April 2007 and the next will last for seven years. The licence fee currently generates £2.94bn a year for the corporation.

Under the current deal, set in 2000, the licence fee goes up by 1.5% above inflation per year. It will increase to £128.50 next year, not allowing for inflation.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell has said the licence fee is "not perfect" but is still the fairest way to fund the BBC.

But she has also said she wants the BBC to become more accountable to the licence fee payer.

Fewer repeats

In March, the government published a green paper proposing that the BBC should spearhead the UK's switch to digital TV by 2012.

The BBC has also pledged to show fewer repeats and move some of its operations out of London - although the move to Manchester depends on the licence fee settlement.

The corporation also aims to make its TV programmes available on the internet, to make its programme archive more accessible and to invest more in local TV and radio services.

Mr Thompson and BBC chairman Michael Grade have already made a series of shake-ups, including almost 3,800 job cuts and internal value-for-money drives.

Mr Grade said: "This bid has been thoroughly and independently scrutinised by the governors.

"We commend it to government as an efficient business plan designed to meet licence payers' expectations at the lowest cost."

The negotiations come as the government prepares to set out the corporation's role, function and structure in its next 10-year royal charter, which will also come into force in 2007.

hoonin

Re: BBC seeks increase to license fee
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:01:44 am »
I think the license fee is still value for money, for me anyway. The choice AND quality on their TV and radio broadcasts is second to none, so when I see the money being put to decent use then I dont mind stumping up for it (well, when I lived there anyway :P).

I may be wrong, but I think they also raise revenue through their overseas ventures, such as BBC America. Would prefer them to seek funding that way, but still cant complain.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:14:12 am »
Will get a few complaints, but can understand it due to the technical advances in the broadcast industry at the moment.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:18:42 am »
In an ideal world there would be some system where you just pay for the programmes you watch regardless of what channel they are on. I don't think that is very feasible though.

The one thing I don't like about the license fee is that even if you don't watch BBC, if you have a television in your house you have to pay anyway.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 11:37:29 am »
here in the Flemish part of Belgium they did away with the TV license a couple of years ago.Nothing happend with the quality of the programs either.They're still as crap as ever! :P

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 11:44:51 am »
here in the Flemish part of Belgium they did away with the TV license a couple of years ago.Nothing happend with the quality of the programs either.They're still as crap as ever! :P

You mean "Kijk and luister geld"  

It's still there, it's just called something else now.  ;)

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 12:23:34 pm »
After Living over here for YEARSSSSSSS, and not having to pay for  ordinary telly{ do pay for Fox {same as sky} i find it incredible that England hasnt gone the same way..

sure we have loads of ads, and they are "midstream' not like the old "end of part one, end of part 2 "

the broadcasters seem to make enough money out of advertising without resorting to licenses, cant see why it cant be done in a country with at least 4 times the population

oh and i remember sticking a tanner in the telly........ :D
JFT 96

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:03 pm »
More reality Tv then  ;)
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Bandy

• Kopite
  • Linux Based Fun.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:36:43 pm »
The BBC is the only sane thing on telly and has produced the majority of the best programming over the years

Well worth the price and let's hope they continue the good work

They've done a very good job with digital all round - so it's looking good

* They could do with sacking Lawrenson, mind.
And it was all going so well

hoonin

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:58:17 pm »
After Living over here for YEARSSSSSSS, and not having to pay for  ordinary telly{ do pay for Fox {same as sky} i find it incredible that England hasnt gone the same way..

sure we have loads of ads, and they are "midstream' not like the old "end of part one, end of part 2 "

the broadcasters seem to make enough money out of advertising without resorting to licenses, cant see why it cant be done in a country with at least 4 times the population

oh and i remember sticking a tanner in the telly........ :D

The thing is though, theres no control over what programmes the broadcaster commission or show. They can be heavily influenced by shareholders or other groups with specific agendas and their main goal is to make money.

One of the strongest arguments for retaining the Beeb fee is that their primary objective is serve the public through its broadcasting.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 01:00:56 pm »
Well worth it, fed up to shit of crazy frog type ads and other bollocks.

Also if you read about the analog switch off shit, it seems like it will be the license fee that has to contribute to getting little old ladies STB's.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 04:22:27 pm »
It is one of the few television companies in the World that makes programmes for content rather than to sell adverts.  Keep it.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:35:59 pm »
It is one of the few television companies in the World that makes programmes for content rather than to sell adverts.  Keep it.

Indeed. And not forgetting that the license fee also covers the radio output (which is ever burgeoning with new stations) and also the internet - bbc news is a cracking site, and they also do a lot for the minority communities around the country with the Asian network, and translating all/most of their web content into various languages. Also all the orchestras and workshops they run around the country...

Good old Auntie Beeb, I say :thumbup

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 04:54:58 pm »
They can fuck off, no adverts on the bbc ? Bollocks, you have to sit through a good 5 minutes of adverts for their own wank inbetween every program, plus they make money on adverts from all them 'repeat' channels (uk gold, history, etc.)
The news is hugely biased and selective particularly since 7/7, r5 might as well be renamed 'radio we love kenyon we do,' the only half decent reason for holding onto it is Radio 4 and thats not worth £170 a year.

Oh and the license fee is the single biggest reason for prosecution of single mothers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:11:35 pm by Acaustiq »
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 04:58:39 pm »
In an ideal world there would be some system where you just pay for the programmes you watch regardless of what channel they are on. I don't think that is very feasible though.

The BBC are working on technology whoch would enable you to download just the programmes you want to watch from the week ahead's TV schedule.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 06:44:21 pm »
The BBC are working on technology whoch would enable you to download just the programmes you want to watch from the week ahead's TV schedule.
You'd still need a license though if you have a telly I presume?
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 11:37:24 pm »

I heard that too. On a pay per download basis apparently.

This would make the BBC a commercial organisation, and not under the control of the government. BBC would not be able to promote noo labour and therefore we could not expect this to happen soon......

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 11:39:03 pm »
Are BBC World still allowing the selling of footage from the Hillsborough disaster for profit to be shown as football violence?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 12:04:47 am »
I heard that too. On a pay per download basis apparently.

Sources, not seen anything on DS suggesting it will be PPDL.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 12:25:41 am »
Sources, not seen anything on DS suggesting it will be PPDL.

It was an article I read on soime website or other about 12 months ago. Stored in the backburner of my mind until Rushian's comment earlier in this thread.

Can't give sources, as I can't remember where I read it.

However, logically (at least in my mind), it would seem to be the next major step.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 12:28:09 am »
Such an idea would effectivly make them a for profit corporation though. Can't see that and certainly not seen anything in digital spy to substantiate it.

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 12:29:23 am »
Such an idea would effectivly make them a for profit corporation though. Can't see that and certainly not seen anything in digital spy to substantiate it.

They are already a political mouthpiece a la Al Jazeera. It is the next logical step.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 12:33:18 am »
Umm, sure they are

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 03:16:18 am »
The BBC are one of the greatest institutions on earth. Have no problem with an increase in the license fee.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:31 am »

and its not just the tele, all that bloody great radio, its worth the fee for the Today programme and the archers (both on radio four) alone.
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 03:43:40 pm »
what I dislike about it is like what was said above, even if you dont watch bbc, you have to pay.
Surely all UKTV channels (I have been lead to believe that these are owned by bbc) should be freeview? Or are they totally separate companies?

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 03:47:49 pm »

They often lead the field in innovation - e.g. podcasting, digital TV and radio etc they might just use it as an alternative viewing option. I picked it up off Radio 5.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 03:53:52 pm »
what I dislike about it is like what was said above, even if you dont watch bbc, you have to pay.
Surely all UKTV channels (I have been lead to believe that these are owned by bbc) should be freeview? Or are they totally separate companies?

BBC own the BBC brand and a have an investement in a few freeview channels.

The main arguement about not watching the BBC is spurious as it acts as a counterweight against lowest common denominator telly. If there wasn't a BBC paid through public subscription, ITV and other market lead telly would continue to make cheap piss poor game shows/reality tv spin offs and a few dramas that would only appeal to the masses.

Without the BBC they would have no reason nor need to keep any standards up.

Secondly, a civilised country should have a broadcasting service that doesn't have to bow to its funding. You only have to look at FOX tv's news. I mean 'news' in the loosest sense. Its right wing Murdoch crap and has no unbiased reporting at all.
Any privately funded tv will ineviatably have to one day acceed to its paymaster.

I think the BBC shows some shite, but its very existence stops the whole broadcast spectrum from completely disappearing down the toilet.
Yep.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2005, 07:13:22 pm »

Aren't most of the UKTV channels on freeview? I know I get Uk History, Uk Food and Uk Gold on the freeview box upstairs, I might get Living to, not checked for that yet.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 07:22:45 pm »
UKTV is owned by the BBC and flextech, aka telewest aka ntl.

UK Gold is on top up tv not freeview.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 07:34:21 pm »
BBC own the BBC brand and a have an investement in a few freeview channels.

The main arguement about not watching the BBC is spurious as it acts as a counterweight against lowest common denominator telly. If there wasn't a BBC paid through public subscription, ITV and other market lead telly would continue to make cheap piss poor game shows/reality tv spin offs and a few dramas that would only appeal to the masses.

Without the BBC they would have no reason nor need to keep any standards up.

Secondly, a civilised country should have a broadcasting service that doesn't have to bow to its funding. You only have to look at FOX tv's news. I mean 'news' in the loosest sense. Its right wing Murdoch crap and has no unbiased reporting at all.
Any privately funded tv will ineviatably have to one day acceed to its paymaster.

I think the BBC shows some shite, but its very existence stops the whole broadcast spectrum from completely disappearing down the toilet.
Fantastic post.

I'd just like to add that if the BBC was forced to self fund itself by showing commercials etc then it's competitors would suffer massive losses in revenue. Can you imagine what depths ITV, Channel 5 and Sky would plumb if they had even less money to spend on their programming? It just doesn't bear thinking about.

Along with the price of a first class stamp, the licence fee is one of the few things left in Britain that still represents value for money.

Long live Auntie Beeb!