Author Topic: The Wisdom of Danny Murphy  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Wisdom of Danny Murphy
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2004, 05:44:51 pm »
It seems Danny has become a bit of a philospher on football club culture-ethnicity.

I wonder if Plato wanted to go go-karting with his mates? :-\
Sack Parry.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2004, 05:50:08 pm »

Warming up for a cosy career in the media when he finally quits...

87:13

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2004, 05:51:18 pm »
Go-carting Greek philosphers  :)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2004, 05:53:12 pm »

Nationality IS irrelevant if the players are good enough.

If they are not, then maybe it's something people can criticise. The trouble with our Frenchmen was that they weren't like Vieira, Pires or Henry. Some were the David Unsworths of French football.  :P

Our Spaniards, however, appear to be the real deal. And with three scousers featuring regularly this season (until Gerrard was injured), there are more scousers in the team at one given time than there was throughout the 70s and 80s.

No one has a problem with Hyypia being Finnish, but the French and Spanish appear to get criticised as the last two managers have been French and now Spanish. It leads to accusations of favouritism, but frankly, the local lads have to prove they are good enough. So far from the Academy since 1998, only Warnock is hinting at that.

dunno thought semmy hinted at it last season
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Fatty Arbuckle

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2004, 06:01:02 pm »
I loved Carra's quote in the days after Murphy left the club. Murphy apparently chose Charlton over other clubs cos he was pally with Jason Euell and a few others. Carra was asked what he thought of Murphy's departure:

'I'd rather be winning trophies than having a kick around with me mates'

Superb Carra..!!!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2004, 06:03:55 pm »

dunno thought semmy hinted at it last season

But Semmy then went on loan to Bolton, and was promptly sent back with a note saying "no thank you". He looked good going forwar when he played in a couple of games for us, but I've yet to see an Academy player since Gerrard scream out that he is a definite for the first team.

A lot of 'Hmm, maybes' but it says a lot that Semmy and Mellor both failed to get regular games while on loan at lesser clubs. It doesn't mean they're crap; but it doesn't prove definitively that they are ready - or anywhere close - for a regular game in the first team.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2004, 08:59:38 pm »
Sour-Fuckin-Grapes Danny lad. Poor form. Let himself right down with that piece.

At Liverpool it was difficult because you had so many nationalities and cultures there, a lot of lads didn't play golf or didn't want to do go-karting

Ahhhh, so no one would play a round with him...big fuckin deal. Danny goes on to say in the piece that he shed tears in 89 when Arsenal won at Liverpool, and that Benitez wouldnt have done. [like that matters]....but if Danny knew his history as he thinks he does...he would know we won the fuckin double with no English players in the normal starting XI!!!  :-\

"Arsenal's best two players are Henry and Vieira, the two best players in the world, but behind them they have Campbell. And don't forget they had an English core for a long while with Seaman, Adams, Keown, so they know.

"Who are Chelsea's two best players? Lampard and Terry.

"I am not saying that because Liverpool haven't got five or six English players they are not going to do well, I'm just saying it will be more difficult because they don't have that mentality.

What?  ??? what a shite example, and shite way to put it.

Nah, you stick to playin PS2 and that with the Charlton lads.....INGER-LAND forever Danny lad.  ::)

Offline kopite77

• Legacy Fan
  • In Jurgen we trust!
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2004, 09:11:06 pm »
I reckon he's after a career in politics, for the BNP maybe! ;D
HARRY HARRIS, MARK LAWRENSON, JOSE MOURIHNO,PETER KENYON, ROMAN ABRAMOVICH, ALAN HANSEN, YOU GUY'S TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING

AND Mr KENWRIGHT YOU CAN STICK YOUR FUCKING GROUNDSHARE UP YOUR ARSE!

Hicks and Gillett, Game Over, thanks for Fuck All Fuckfaces, Internet Terrorist and Proud!

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2004, 09:33:24 pm »
If Danny was to go and sign for Barcelona tomorrow, would he not even have a small idea just how much it means for them to beat Real?

Personally, I think Benitez, Alonso, Garcia et al all know exactly know how much it means for us to beat United, and if they didn't then Carra will have made sure they did.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2004, 09:39:38 pm »
....and before some jump up and down that heart does not mean scouse, you can be from the moon and have that Liverpool heart….

Sorry Christine - I'm with Bill Shankly. I think players from Mars are better by far and make ideal Liverpool material  - got something to do with the atmosphere up there.  ::)

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2004, 09:46:36 pm »
Poor very poor  ;D
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2004, 09:50:23 pm »
Sorry - it's past my bedtime.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2004, 09:55:52 pm »
Never mind, Danny.

Have another pint.

Cheers!

PS - Danny's from Chester. That's in Wales innit?
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Pheeny

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2004, 10:04:51 pm »
Never mind, Danny.

Have another pint.

Cheers!

PS - Danny's from Chester. That's in Wales innit?
no it bloody isn't

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2004, 11:33:23 pm »
Think some of you should read this:

Danny Murphy: 'Game should be promoting English players and managers'

An Anfield exile explains why life at The Valley appealed more than the Lane. Jason Burt hears about the loving and leaving of Liverpool

26 September 2004

It takes a rare courage to write yourself out of the script at a club the size of Liverpool, especially when it's your love, but that's what Danny Murphy did over the summer. Maybe it's because he is married to an actress - the former Hollyoaks star Joanna Taylor - that the England midfielder knows that walk-on parts offer only a limited appeal.

Indeed at the end of last season, following the departure of Gérard Houllier, he told Liverpool's chief executive, Rick Parry, that he had no desire to pick up his money and sit on the bench if he wasn't going to be in the new manager's plans "whoever he was". Murphy explains: "I did it for the best part of five, six months last season, and I went up the wall. I would rather go. You can have someone who's 20 or 21 who plays 15 to 20 games a season, but I wanted to play every week. I didn't want to be on the fringes."

Which is exactly where the 27-year-old found himself once Rafael Benitez arrived at Anfield. "The conversation I had with him was honest, fair and frank," Murphy recalls. "He said to me, 'I've had a couple of bids, I've accepted them. Because even though I know what you've done for the club and your capabilities, I'm looking to bring some players in and they're going to play'. To me that was it really."

Murphy adds: "As far as I'm concerned I would have played for Liverpool until the day I stopped playing. That was my goal. I've never had arguments about money, contracts, whatever. But I just gave it my best shot. I had seven years there and it came to a time when I was surplus to requirements and I had to take it like a man and move on."

It is said without rancour but with regrets, even if he is able to list an impressive array of trophies, finals, nine international caps and lots of happy Anfield memories from his 249 appearances, 178 in the League. But regrets there are and, when asked to elaborate, he is passionate. In doing so, Murphy returns to a theme he touched upon in choosing to join Charlton Athletic in August, for £2.5m on a four-year deal, rather than Tottenham Hotspur.

It is a desire to play for a British manager. It is not being a Little Englander, it is about an appreciation of playing in England. And it is an argument he extends to players as well as coaches. "A lot of managers are coming in now and thinking that a nucleus of English players is not that important," he says. "I don't particularly believe that's the right view. You can have a successful team without it, of course you can, but it is more difficult. The fans of the club, like Liverpool, do need to have some heroes who they know are one of their own, like Robbie Fowler or Steven Gerrard. Stevie's still there, Carra's [Jamie Carragher] still there."

But only those two. Arsenal have got away with it, he says, simply because in Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira and Sol Campbell they have "three of the best players in the world". "But they are the exception," Murphy says. The best two players for Chelsea, he states, are Frank Lampard and John Terry.

He highlights Liverpool's defeat last week by Manchester United, a team who preserved their core - and a side he had a knack of scoring against. "I wasn't even a Scouser, but I was local [Murphy was born in Chester and grew up a Liverpool fan] and I know what it means to play United. I would never disrespect the players who are there [at Liverpool] because they are good players, at a big club, and they've taken their opportunities. But I think that if you go to another team, especially from another country, it's difficult to gauge the enormity of what it means to lose to Man United. Those lads won't know what it means to the fans every day at work. They will be upset because they have personal pride, but they don't know what it means, like I know what it means.

"The manager doesn't know what it means like I know what it means. I'm sure he'd agree with that. He might say, like Gérard used to say, 'I've been a Liverpool fan and I know what the club means'. Of course they do, of course they care. They are winners. Benitez is a winner. He proved that at Valencia. His track record is fantastic and I'm sure he'll do a good job. But he's not got that upbringing that I've got. He couldn't tell me how Liverpool and United have got on every season for the past 15 seasons the way I could. He couldn't tell me that he's cried, like I did, when Liverpool lost the League [in 1989] to Michael Thomas's goal in the last minute [for Arsenal]. That's the difference, and when you lose too many of them [English players] it has an effect."

It has also had an effect on Murphy. Physically and emotionally, the frustrations of the past 12 months have taken their toll. "I'm a football person, I can't switch off. Some players can, I can't," he says. "And last year I was uptight a lot of the time and it got to a point where it was affecting the people around me. I wasn't myself. Because I wasn't playing and I'd got used to playing, to being happy in my football."

Travelling with the team was the worst thing. "Doing that, all over Europe and then sitting on the bench was mentally exhausting. It gets to the point where you are not happy going home every day. It's not a nice way for me to live." Nor is commuting up and down from the North-west, and Murphy will be relieved when the home he has bought near Chipstead, in Surrey, is complete. At present he is staying with a relative of his wife. Already, however, he feels more "relaxed", even if eyebrows were raised in some quarters when he chose The Valley over White Hart Lane.

Murphy himself is clear in his reasoning. He has found that nucleus, that core, he craves. "I've definitely felt a togetherness that I haven't experienced in a long time," he says of Charlton. It was something he was conscious of when he played against the Addicks. Little things - like communicating more easily with his team-mates and the camaraderie of golf days and go-karting, easier to organise at Charlton - have also made a difference.

And then there's the manager, Alan Curbishley. "I haven't worked for an English manager for a long time," Murphy says (not since 1999, when he was loaned back to his first club, Dario Gradi's Crewe Alexandra). "And I wanted that clearness of what he wanted from me, what was my role, and I know the gaffer has been in the Premiership for a long time and so he knows me."

Spurs, he says, are in transition. It would be like starting all over again. At Charlton, Murphy believes, he will be given the "platform" to perform. "That's what I needed, I needed someone to have that confidence in me," he says. "I don't think Jacques Santini [the Tottenham head coach] knew a lot about me."

And so when he played badly, as he freely admits he, and the rest of the Charlton team, did against Southampton recently, he had the opportunity to remedy it immediately. Curbishley had that confidence in him. Next up was Birmingham City, and Murphy was man of the match back in his favoured central-midfield role, following up with a midweek goal in the Carling Cup against Grimsby Town.

"Charlton is a good place for me to take a commanding role," he explains, and Murphy is starting to do so. It's that role which allows him to answer the inevitable accusation that he has taken a step down. "Everyone gets tarred with that brush when you move from Liverpool," he says. "I'm not naïve enough to think it's not a move down. Of course it is. What I have to make sure is that from an individual point of view it doesn't make me think I'm less of a player." And by proving that he can help take a "progressive" Charlton to "the next level". Maybe not a top-five finish, yet, but the possibility of "nicking" a European place. He relishes the challenge.

"At Charlton I'm looked on as one of the senior players who's expected to rise above it when others are having a bad game. It's part of the reason I came and why the gaffer wanted me here. I've been in Liverpool teams that have struggled and I've never hidden. I try and keep going, make things happen. As time goes by and I settle here I will develop. They haven't seen the best of me yet, far from it."

Next month he will return to Liverpool for a Premiership match. "I think I'll get a decent reception," he says. He should. One disappointment is that his best friend, Gerrard, will be missing, having broken a metatarsal bone in his foot - the same injury that ruled Murphy out of the 2002 World Cup. "It's a shame, we'd always joked about 'what if one of us moved and we played against each other'," Murphy says. "But it will be good to see everyone. I want Liverpool to progress, but I'm a Charlton player and we want the points. There's nothing in me that's bitter towards the club. I will still be a Liverpool fan." But a Charlton player. And all the happier for that.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/charlton/story.jsp?story=565809

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2004, 11:36:40 pm »
Aye, read that earlier this morning.

Read between the lines, he didn't want to leave did he?

His bitterness hides his love for Liverpool FC..
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2004, 11:41:29 pm »
His bitterness hides his love for Liverpool FC..

Which is a shame.... because he had such a big love for LFC. He was a fan first and player 2nd. One of the few of the modern era who still touched THE SIGN on the way out onto the pitch.

He knows how we all feel.
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2004, 11:43:38 pm »
Danny Murphy has only said what a hell of a lot of Liverpool fans have felt watching one Spanish player after another.... after another.... after another.... join the club.

Benitez said he was buying the quality players he knew from a transfer market he knew. Seemed pretty logical to me at the time, just as Houllier (and Wenger...) buying French players seemed logical.

As for Danny, seems like a great lad, but starting to sound very bitter.

Murphy says he has found more unity among the players at his new club Charlton than he ever saw at Liverpool.

...and we still did better than Charlton when Houllier and Murphy were at the club!

'I'd rather be winning trophies than having a kick around with me mates'

that is fucking brilliant!!  ;D Carra's a living legend.

"Now Jamie Carragher and Gerrard are really the only two left who know what it means to play against Manchester United."

Yeah, cos no one in Spain has heard of Man Utd, have they?? Everton on the other hand.....

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2004, 09:43:43 pm »
A good rebuttal from ESPNSoccernet.com..........

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=311579&cc=3888

Beware of foreign bodies?

Norman Hubbard

'When you lose too many English players, it has an effect.' Danny Murphy was standing up for an endangered species at top Premiership clubs.

Murphy: Shown the door at Anfield in favour of Benitez's Armada.

Since he and Michael Owen left Liverpool, only two regulars, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher, are English. While Rafael Benitez's Spanish Armada arrive at Anfield, Murphy has moved on to less cosmopolitan Charlton.

'A lot of managers think that a nucleus of English players is not that important,' he told the Independent on Sunday. Murphy disagrees and rejected the chance to work for the former France coach Jacques Santini at Tottenham to join Alan Curbishley at Charlton.

Murphy is no Robert Kilroy-Silk and is not alone in lamenting the decline of English influence at Anfield. Bootroom bosses have given way to European coaches. Roy Evans' Liverpool was almost exclusively British, Benitez's Reds are very continental.

Murphy may hark back to a more recent era. When Liverpool won three major trophies in 2001, a British core (Murphy, Gerrard, Owen, Carragher, Robbie Fowler, Emile Heskey, Nick Barmby and Gary McAllister) was supplemented by Gerard Houllier's imported defence of Sami Hyypia, Stephane Henchoz, Markus Babbel and Sander Westerveld, plus midfielder Dietmar Hamann.

The subsequent substandard foreign signings who contributed to Liverpool's pre-Benitez decline may have prejudiced Murphy. And El-Hadji Diouf, Bruno Cheyrou and Salif Diao rank high on any list of ill-advised imports though, from Winston Bogarde to Marcelinho, from Massimo Maccarone to Agustin Delgado, there is no shortage of contenders. But the implication is that defeats pain some players more than others.

Murphy's allegiance to Liverpool runs deeper, he says, than that of Benitez, though he describes the former Valencia manager as 'a winner'. He cried when Michael Thomas' last-minute goal won Arsenal the title in 1989. Blessed with a happy knack of scoring the winner in their flagship fixture against Manchester United, he can list the results in their meetings in the last 15 years.

But does he have the same emotional connection to Charlton? Does he know their record against West Ham and Crystal Palace over the same period? Does he, at this formative stage of his Addicks career, care more for his new club than Thierry Henry does for Arsenal or Jay-Jay Okocha for Bolton?

This is not to suggest that Murphy's efforts for Charlton are anything other than unstinting, but the issue goes beyond nationality. Champions Arsenal, like Liverpool, normally only field two English players. Both have less England internationals than Real Madrid (and are in rather better form).

However, Arsenal have a nucleus of long-serving foreign players. Henry, Dennis Bergkamp, Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg did not grow up Gunners fans, but their devotion to the club is unquestioned. Patrick Vieira, despite his summer flirtation with Real Madrid, also comes into that category, a foreign legion assuming legendary status.

Mr. Ferguson has drawn the comparison between Arsene Wenger's Arsenal and Benitez's Liverpool. The Arsenal manager's in-depth knowledge of the French market has brought unknown, but precocious, talents like Nicolas Anelka and Gael Clichy to Highbury; Kolo Toure and Cesc Fabregas are completing their footballing education in London.

Ferguson expects Benitez to be similarly astute in the Spanish transfer market. If he can engender comparable loyalty in overseas recruits, their birthplace should not be an issue. Both Liverpool and Manchester United have the advantage of a global support but Fowler and Steve McManaman, Merseysiders who became Anfield icons, were childhood Everton fans.

But United appear Murphy's template, even if no self-respecting former Liverpool player would admit as much. A generation of United supporters, all (except David Beckham) brought up in Manchester, formed the heart of a successful side.

That team is breaking up now, but others have strived and failed to emulate their achievements. Newcastle and Leeds pursued a policy of buying British, earning plaudits and top five finishes, but winning no trophies.

Alan Smith, Mr Leeds and as hurt by any loss to Manchester United as Murphy ever was, reacted to relegation by jumping ship to his club's fiercest rivals.

And a deep-rooted love to a club is not a pre-requisite for success. Too many clubs, Liverpool included, have erred in appointing their former players as manager.

Smith's will to win was more important than his Leeds past for Ferguson, as it was for Eric Cantona, catalyst for United's decade of dominance. Like his team-mate Peter Schmeichel, Cantona was a pioneer, a foreign footballer in the days when they were a rarity. 

They have changed English football, providing greater style and a higher standard as well as different personnel. At one stage, a top-flight team without a Scot was inconceivable. Now it is normal.

Instead, Portsmouth and Southampton are home to Africans and Scandinavians respectively, there is a Dutch enclave in Middlesbrough and Bolton have their own version of the United Nations (the less said about Crystal Palace's Hungarians, the better).

Amongst them, a generation of English footballers has excelled. Murphy nominated John Terry and Frank Lampard as Chelsea's two best players.

Gerrard is unquestionably Liverpool's finest and, with his captain sidelined, Benitez may wonder if he should have kept one more English player at Anfield to complement his continental signings; a quick-thinking goalscoring midfielder like, well, Danny Murphy. 
Sign megastars...

Offline Simon LFC

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2004, 09:53:48 pm »
Makes him sound terribly bigoted I think.  Sounds like he's trying to say "Them foreigners, coming over here and stealing my job."

You know what mate?  Before Shankly came to Liverpool he didn't have any ties to the club, either.

And of course you're right about them foreigners.  Them damn foreigners were damn lazy during the 80's and didn't know what it meant to win and Everton and the Mancs.  Did you see how they couldn't be bothered against those Bluenoses during the two FA Cup finals?  Disgusting.

Wake up Danny - you're struggling at Charlton for God's sake, what made you think you could demand a first team place at Liverpool anymore?  It's debateable whether you were ever that good - you had flashes, but were never consistent enough.  Perhaps your demands come because you're such a reknowned England International, eh?

Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish were never interested in nationalities.  They bought who they thought were the BEST.  Thank goodness Parry and Moores are more broadminded than you, eh?  Otherwise we'd have Curbishley as manager and you'd still be demanding a first team place at Liverpool.

And you know, whilst Alonso, Garcia and Josemi are working hard and looking the business, you're still moaning about Liverpool and struggling for form. 

Grow up, Danny - and well done - you've proved beyond all doubt that you're Addick.

Good post mate.

Offline Femacca

• Kemlynite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2004, 08:34:12 am »
>Spurs, he says, are in transition. It would be like starting all over again. At Charlton, Murphy believes, he will be given the "platform" to perform. "That's what I needed, I needed someone to have that confidence in me," he says. "I don't think Jacques Santini [the Tottenham head coach] knew a lot about me."<

This tells me that one of the reasons he chose Charlton over Spurs was that he would get to play in Charlton but not necessarily in Spurs. I see a man who is afraid of the unknown, reluctant to move out of his comfort zone to fight for a 1st XI position and instead rather to wait for the chance to drop on his lap for him to he is feel wanted. Should I call that a winning mentality? Or a selfish one?

Suppose Curbishley plays someone in place of him, would he have levelled the same criticisms at him? I wonder.
As Reds we all stand as one, that's why we'll never walk alone!

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2004, 08:41:56 am »
> Should I call that a winning mentality? Or a selfish one?

Selfish one if you ask me. I had lots of respects for him because he can win us games when playing againts the Mancs (although it's still a team's achievement), but it seems that my respect is getting less by each of his comment.  >:(

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2004, 08:50:00 am »
I think all players want to play games. Some would accept heavy rotation if they were winning trophies, but most want to play. Danny has chosen to play at a middling club, and that's his right. But don't criticise Benitez (however indirectly) for buying foreign players.

I do genuinely like Danny, as a person and as a player (although the latter didn't mean I'd put him in the LFC first team this season).

When you look at someone like Alonso, you see a player in a different class altogether. Luis Garcia is another who can do things Danny just couldn't. Both have better control and are far quicker and more accurate in their passing. Garcia looks more of a goal-threat than Murphy (who did pretty well in that regard).

If English players aren't in that top bracket, then get overseas players. I don't want a team full of English journeymen. Benitez is doing with Spaniards what Wenger did with Frenchmen.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2004, 10:01:26 am »
Hes a tad bitter because hes at Charlton now.

Would he get into the Manc, Arse or Chelsea side? No. Although you could see he had a good footballing brain he just never had the physical attributes to put talent that into place.

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2004, 11:25:47 am »
Danny got 7 years at Liverpool, more than any of us on here could ever dream of, if he was so committed to the Liverpool cause he wouldn't have demanded a 1st team place the silly twat.  What does he think Shanks or Bob would have said to him?  He would have been out the door in no time.
Put some sugar on those sour grapes Danny and take a look at Thommo, someone with even more of a reason to be gutted at leaving Liverpool than you but acting with dignity and class to the media.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2004, 12:23:30 pm »

but happy we had XA to spray the ball around yester
even when he got clattered second half he still found his little mate

Was thinking about the difference in the passing ability of Murphy compared to Xabi. You've got to laugh really.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 2, 2004, 04:41:08 am »
I always thought he was intelligent for some reason, maybe because he's bald, and just sort of looks like he's intelligent, but his comments here are stupid, and I'm glad he's gone, as he's not the kind of player Liverpool should have. I wonder if Charlton fans will say the things about him soon," he doesn't know what it means to play against Crystal Palace or West Ham because he never stood on the terraces of the Valley (or Selhurst Park) he never cried when we nearly went out of business and were kicked out of the Valley, he never cried when Carl Leaburn retired " etc. Interestingly, when he said something similar after he first left,  he said that Liverpool needed to keep a core of Englishmen like Steven Gerrard or Neil Ruddock. When he includes that fat cockney, you just have to laugh. Ruddock or Hyypia ? Murphy or Alonso ? Hmm, Let me think.......

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #67 on: October 2, 2004, 07:12:20 pm »
6 weeks after he left, what exactly makes Murphy think he is best placed to judge the closeness of the dressing room he doesnt have access too?

He seems very bitter about being shunted out. Shame, because it will only make fans resent him when he sticks the boot in. The time is now, Murphy was yesterday. If he wants to slowly chip away at any respect Liverpool fans still have for him and his achievements then he's going about it the right way.

No mention of Warnock or Kirkland in there. The article is very wishy-washy, especially where he seems to try and justify Arsenal being the exception to his point. Players like Dudek, Sami, Kewell and Hamann have been at the club and in the PL league long enough to know EXACTLY what it means to beat Utd, especially given the fact that all bar Kewell witnessed first hand the experience of us beating Utd in a cup final.

agree. His bitterness shines through so much he should have crossed to the blue side of stanley park.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #68 on: October 2, 2004, 07:31:57 pm »
Disappointed with Danny's comments. I'm half expecting him to stand as a candidate for UKIP at the next election.

STEVEMCQUEEN

« Reply #69 on: October 2, 2004, 08:00:50 pm »
Not good enough for Liverpool. Shoulda never trusted someone from Chester to keep schtum - especially when he gets married to a bird on some sandy beach dressed in his white moccassin shoes and,  after only knowing her for two and a half minutes - the Chester whopper.

Danny from the Dee, will you take me to be your lawful....blah blah blah.

Alonso...best signing since Digger...come on Rafa lad.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 3, 2004, 01:44:13 am »
Actually I think his missus needing to go to London so she can 'fulfil her acting potential' (walk on parts in Eastenders) may have had a big say on the destination of Mr. Murphy.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 3, 2004, 01:52:15 am »
Disappointed with Danny's comments. I'm half expecting him to stand as a candidate for UKIP at the next election.

Next to Rusty Lee perhaps?

Best thing I heard all week.. Rusty Lee wanting to stand for UKIP... :lmao

I digress....

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #72 on: October 3, 2004, 10:17:45 am »
Best thing I heard all week.. Rusty Lee wanting to stand for UKIP... :lmao

:lmao

Yep, I laughed too. I'm just waiting for Danny to announce his candidacy.

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #73 on: October 3, 2004, 12:30:35 pm »

He's a young Alf Garnett!!  Shouldn't he have gone to West 'Am?

Garnett Blasts Benitez for Kop Snub

Danny Garnett today lashed out at Rafael Benitez calling him a "silly moo" for forcing him to join Charlton.  "Liverpool needs more of the St George spirit", claimed Danny, now confirmed as Addick.  I join him in the Canteen, as he tucks into his healthily balanced sports breakfast.

"I wanted to join West 'Am, but they're not in the Premiership" explained Garnett, "and the only other choice was Charlton Athletic.  They've got an English manager - Spurs had a Frog in charge!  Can you adam and eve it?  Very important I had an English manager - I don't want to hear none of them funny foreign languages."

As Danny tucked into his full English breakfast - no french toast - he continued:  "All the managers that have won the Premiership have been English", proclaimed Danny, "like Alfred Ferguson at United,  Kenneth Dalmore at Blackburn and Arthur Wingnut at Arsenal.  The last foreign manager to win the top division was the Italian Howardio Wilkinsonio, and before that Joseph Faganstein.  I mean, how many foreigners won the 1966 World Cup, eh?  11 Hammers players - all English you know."

"Thank God we've got Steven Gordon - Eric's Son as England coach.  We didn't want another Kevin McKeegan or Terry Venablinio in charge.  And that Rafa Benitez - he said I wasn't needed anymore!  Me!  I'm the new Platini.  Not that I'm french, mind - and anyone who says I am will get a smack in the mouth."

"It's funny though, there wasn't much togetherness at Liverpool like there is at Charlton.  None of them foreigners wanted to sit with me - and I even had nicknames for 'em all.  I tried to make the new boys welcome - I used to call out to Garcia - Oi, Louise, come and sit over here!  Oi, Shabby!  Alonisioio!! Come on you floppy haired get!  And Jose MI So Far La Te Doh! They always ignored me.  Can't think why."

Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #74 on: October 3, 2004, 08:24:12 pm »
Not good enough for Liverpool. Shoulda never trusted someone from Chester to keep schtum - especially when he gets married to a bird on some sandy beach dressed in his white moccassin shoes and,  after only knowing her for two and a half minutes - the Chester whopper.
Danny from the Dee, will you take me to be your lawful....blah blah blah.

Alonso...best signing since Digger...come on Rafa lad.

;D ;D ;D ;D
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid