Author Topic: Megalopolis a film 50 years in the making  (Read 607 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Megalopolis a film 50 years in the making
« on: May 14, 2024, 04:54:30 pm »
Its finally being release a film he wanted to make in the 70's and worked on pre-production in the 80s but then put on the back burner because of lack of funding and in the 2000s he put in 120 million of his own money to get it made.

Francis Ford Coppolas  new film Megalopolis

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sjIRxTNZOw8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sjIRxTNZOw8</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Megalopolis a film 50 years in the making
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 04:58:14 pm »
Its finally being release a film he wanted to make in the 70's and worked on pre-production in the 80s but then put on the back burner because of lack of funding and in the 2000s he put in 120 million of his own money to get it made.

Francis Ford Coppolas  new film Megalopolis

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sjIRxTNZOw8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sjIRxTNZOw8</a>

Looks interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 05:17:57 pm »
I'm looking forward to it but do wonder if Coppolas vision/story has already been covered with so much sci fi in past 40 years.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 09:11:53 am »
I’m a fan of his but never heard of this. Mad that he couldn’t get it made for all those years.
Read he had to sell his winery to finance it. That original premise he had to show it in dedicated amphitheaters over several nights would have been great. He is such a creative person - with some madcap ideas too but I suppose that goes with the territory.

Just watched Godfather I & II for the first time in years. Really still great movies.

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 02:41:51 pm »
Can't wait. Has anyone got a better 4 film run than his 4 70s movies? Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. Did my thesis on him years ago, always love the quote about him - think it's from a review of one of the 80s movies

"he may have the commercial sense of a newt, but he has the heart of a revolutionary, and the talent of a great artist"
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 03:31:27 pm »
I am very, very excited for this.
Its Coppola and as a bonus its not a sequel/universe/reboot!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 07:00:45 am »
Can't wait. Has anyone got a better 4 film run than his 4 70s movies? Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now. Did my thesis on him years ago, always love the quote about him - think it's from a review of one of the 80s movies

"he may have the commercial sense of a newt, but he has the heart of a revolutionary, and the talent of a great artist"

The Conversation is one of my favourite films of all time, but I think Bogdanovic's run of Targets, The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc ? and Paper Moon is impressive.  There's also Hitchcock with Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho and The birds.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2024, 09:22:53 am »

It's an amazing run, with The Conversation actually being my favourite. For me, Apocalypse Now lets it down.

It's only personal choice, but Orson Welles did Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger and his Macbeth (uncredited work on The Lady of Shanghai inbetween), and I have always rated that run. Hitchcock had a few too.

More importantly, I am looking forward to this. Should be something special one way or the other.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 10:47:29 am by Wild Romany Boy »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2024, 11:14:06 am »
The Godfather films are great, as is The Conversation.

Although never been struck with Apocalypse Now. It has great scenes but as a film, but as a whole, I've never taken to it and leaves me cold and disengaged.

Lastly, I don't want to get on the 'cancelled' bandwagon, but Coppola's defence and enabling of paedophile Victor Salva - and his blacklisting of his victims - leaves a sour note when trying to watch his films these days. His dubious morals and ethics come further into question by giving Shia La Bouef a role in this current film. I'm surprised Coppola's position in the industry is not questioned or reflected upon.

If Hollywood is the cesspit we know it to be, guys like Coppola are its chief instigators.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2024, 11:34:41 am »
The Godfather films are great, as is The Conversation.

Although never been struck with Apocalypse Now. It has great scenes but as a film, but as a whole, I've never taken to it and leaves me cold and disengaged.

Lastly, I don't want to get on the 'cancelled' bandwagon, but Coppola's defence and enabling of paedophile Victor Salva - and his blacklisting of his victims - leaves a sour note when trying to watch his films these days. His dubious morals and ethics come further into question by giving Shia La Bouef a role in this current film. I'm surprised Coppola's position in the industry is not questioned or reflected upon.

If Hollywood is the cesspit we know it to be, guys like Coppola are its chief instigators.

I think, to a certain extent, very few of us will have a consistent position when it comes to separating the art from the artist, because we all bring our own experiences to art and artistic endeavours, even though we had nothing to do with their conception or production.

I am a hypocrite in this, in that I am looking forward to this, have largely forgotten about Coppola's less than stellar behaviour and will be adding money to it in some way. In comparison, my previous favourite playwright revealed himself to be a bit nasty, but nothing to this extent, and I can't watch or read anything he does now.

But you are right in what you're saying, he seems to have gotten off incredibly lightly. And, to a lesser importance, I agree on Apocalypse Now.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 12:56:36 pm »
I think, to a certain extent, very few of us will have a consistent position when it comes to separating the art from the artist, because we all bring our own experiences to art and artistic endeavours, even though we had nothing to do with their conception or production.

I am a hypocrite in this, in that I am looking forward to this, have largely forgotten about Coppola's less than stellar behaviour and will be adding money to it in some way. In comparison, my previous favourite playwright revealed himself to be a bit nasty, but nothing to this extent, and I can't watch or read anything he does now.

But you are right in what you're saying, he seems to have gotten off incredibly lightly. And, to a lesser importance, I agree on Apocalypse Now.

Absolutely, and I don't condemn anyone who loves his films and is looking forward to Megalopolis. The whole separating art from the artist is extremely complex and nuanced, I struggle with it with musicians who's songs I adore in particular.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 11:32:35 pm »
^ good review. Like it says you  may have to brush up on a few of his influencers to get it;

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, The Fountainhead, Paradise Lost, The Power Broker, Twelve Against the Gods, The Shape of Things to Come

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2024, 06:16:24 pm »
sadly it's getting some bad reviews and is on 46% on RT
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 06:18:16 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2024, 07:45:46 pm »
Absolutely, and I don't condemn anyone who loves his films and is looking forward to Megalopolis. The whole separating art from the artist is extremely complex and nuanced, I struggle with it with musicians who's songs I adore in particular.

I struggle more with music than cinema in this regard. Movies are complex machines, put together by hundreds of people’s endeavours. With music, it’s more like you and the artist connecting. It’s especially hard when it’s bands that you previously felt had shared your values (like arcade fire).