Poll

Fed up of going to the game at all stupid fucking times. 3 O'clock. Saturday. This is the way.

Agree. Stupid kick off times are shite. I watch on telly
Agree. Stupid kick off times are shite. I go to the game
Not really arsed either way. I watch on telly.
Not really arsed either way. I go to the game.
Disagree. Stupid kick off times are great. I watch on telly
Agree. Stupid kick off times are great. I go to the game

Author Topic: Mental kick off times  (Read 6162 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Mental kick off times
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2023, 04:59:54 pm »
Not surprised.  More money for the clubs, they'll all want this to happen.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2023, 10:28:38 pm »
They'll find a way to put games at that time every once in a while even if they can't do it every week.

It was only a few years ago fans in Germany got Monday night games scrapped completely. They don't even really have midweek games in Germany come to think of it, usually only Saturday afternoons and a couple on a Sunday afternoon.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2023, 10:31:19 pm »
How long until 10am or 10pm kick offs?, don't discount any option with the hunger for money and lack of understanding for match going fans.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2023, 10:33:34 pm »
They'll find a way to put games at that time every once in a while even if they can't do it every week.

It was only a few years ago fans in Germany got Monday night games scrapped completely. They don't even really have midweek games in Germany come to think of it, usually only Saturday afternoons and a couple on a Sunday afternoon.

Bundesliga is helped by only having a 34 match season, & their main domestic cup competition is mostly played midweek, were as PL have to fit in 38 games then fit in the EFL cup & FA cup.
#Sausages

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2023, 10:34:38 pm »
These stupid kickoffs wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually gave some indication of recognising travel times, but you just know these fuckers will schedule us away against south coast sides and idiocy like that.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2023, 10:38:32 pm »
Sunday 6.30pm can fuck off right. The evening before the working week and looking forward to all the stress and anxiety, the last thing I want to be arsed about is football.

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2023, 10:41:50 pm »
Sunday 6.30pm can fuck off right. The evening before the working week and looking forward to all the stress and anxiety, the last thing I want to be arsed about is football.
Getting to and from those games will be a fucking nightmare. Just show 3pms ffs
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2023, 10:48:11 pm »
These stupid kickoffs wouldn't be quite so bad if they actually gave some indication of recognising travel times, but you just know these fuckers will schedule us away against south coast sides and idiocy like that.
Away to Bournemouth on Boxing Day is something they'd schedule

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2023, 11:49:07 pm »
No sympathy.

If the modern footy fan is stupid enough to pay the eye watering amounts that are now the norm for football matches, and tolerate kick off times that are already ludicrous, they can't moan when things get a little bit worse.

Billionaire owners and the corrupt and greedy authorities that run football dont give a shit about any of you. Quelle surprise.

Vote with your feet and stop going the fucking game. Its the only action that'll change things.

If you're not prepared to do that, stop fucking moaning and start looking [and paying] for overnight stays for when you inevitably won't be able to get home from away trips.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2023, 06:47:59 am »
No sympathy.

If the modern footy fan is stupid enough to pay the eye watering amounts that are now the norm for football matches, and tolerate kick off times that are already ludicrous, they can't moan when things get a little bit worse.

Billionaire owners and the corrupt and greedy authorities that run football dont give a shit about any of you. Quelle surprise.

Vote with your feet and stop going the fucking game. Its the only action that'll change things.

If you're not prepared to do that, stop fucking moaning and start looking [and paying] for overnight stays for when you inevitably won't be able to get home from away trips.

Problem with that attitude is we have too many geg ins who are more than happy to snap up tickets if regulars jib it so it becomes a moot exercise, as for away games aren't the ticket prices still fixed at £30? if so it's the fucking kick off times that are the problem and not the cost

What really needs to happen is a coordinated cancellation of telly subs, including foreign supporters in solidarity with those who do go the match, maybe then the PL will wake up once the money tap is turned off

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2023, 07:41:01 am »
Problem with that attitude is we have too many geg ins who are more than happy to snap up tickets if regulars jib it so it becomes a moot exercise, as for away games aren't the ticket prices still fixed at £30? if so it's the fucking kick off times that are the problem and not the cost

What really needs to happen is a coordinated cancellation of telly subs, including foreign supporters in solidarity with those who do go the match, maybe then the PL will wake up once the money tap is turned off

Yep, that's the problem, there's thousands upon thousands who would go. It'd take everyone who had a ticket to not actually turn up before they'd pay attention.

They don't give a fuck about match going fans anyway, it's the overseas latch ons they care about and flogging their corrupt product to them.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2023, 07:56:58 am »
Yep, that's the problem, there's thousands upon thousands who would go. It'd take everyone who had a ticket to not actually turn up before they'd pay attention.

They don't give a fuck about match going fans anyway, it's the overseas latch ons they care about and flogging their corrupt product to them.

This is definitely the case for the bigger clubs.

If Liverpool had a 6:30pm KO off a Sunday night at Brighton there'd probably be 1000's of people who'd take the tickets in the away section from people who lived within an hour or 2 travelling distance. Everyone from Liverpool could boycott and it would make no difference.

I think the difference may be with clubs with smaller national followings. Would the same happen if Burnley played Brighton in the same circumstances?

Ultimately though people need to boycott the TV broadcasts. That hurts the TV companies most, mainly through loss of advertising. The next step is cancellation of subscriptions. I just don't think it's realistic. As an example, lots of people had concerns about the World Cup in Qatar but when push came to shove didn't boycott watching the games.

I think asking people to boycott watching a club game is going to be even more difficult and would be really difficult to co-ordinate. The only real time fans of clubs have come together is to challenge the ESL proposals and cynically I think that was mainly due to the Sky Sports cheerleaders whipping up a frenzy around it for their own interests. Otherwise tribal instincts and people's inability to put their own interests to one side to help others would get in the way.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2023, 10:25:11 am »
No sympathy.

Such a dumb and ill informed post.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2023, 10:36:54 am »
No sympathy.

Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2023, 10:37:54 am »
You're right that there won't be any consideration given to exactly who plays in this slot. The women's league has been occupying the 6/7pm Sunday night gap and Sky have had fans going all over the show.

Who knows where the WSL is shifted to. There has been talk of letting it be exempt from the 3pm blackout but watch it instead end up getting 11.30am Sunday.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2023, 10:40:24 am »
The fixture list & ko times need to be organised so that fans don't have to travel too far for the stupid kick offs, sadly we know that's a non starter because they don't even give a shit during the Christmas fixtures.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2023, 11:17:58 am »
Genuine question, is the 3PM blackout even needed anymore?

Are there people who'd still rather go watch a lower league game than watch their own team via an (in most cases illegal) stream? Because those games are broadcast everywhere esle anyway so there's always ways to watch it

Why not do away with the blackout and actually bring in more money
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2023, 12:39:28 pm »
Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.

:) Ha ha. Keep on trying to colour within those pesky lines mate. In a few years, you might progress to books with actual words in. Let me know if you do, because at the mo, I dont have the patience or the crayons to try and explain stuff to dopes like you.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2023, 12:46:33 pm »
Genuine question, is the 3PM blackout even needed anymore?

Are there people who'd still rather go watch a lower league game than watch their own team via an (in most cases illegal) stream? Because those games are broadcast everywhere esle anyway so there's always ways to watch it

Why not do away with the blackout and actually bring in more money

I think the 3pm blackout issue isn't about whether fans of PL teams would or would not go to a lower league game if the 3pm blackout was removed.

For me it's more about whether a L1, L2 or non-league fan would miss their game at the expense of watching a big PL game on the TV at 3pm Saturday. It could be a hard decision if it saves £30-50 on your match day costs and you still get to watch a game for 'free' on TV at home or in the pub.

I know there are ways to watch PL at 3pm Saturday now but the activation energy for the casual supporter of those teams to watch the game  is so much greater now than if the game was on UK TV via subscriptions you may already have.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2023, 12:48:49 pm »
How long until 10am or 10pm kick offs?, don't discount any option with the hunger for money and lack of understanding for match going fans.

Sure games used to kick off at 11:15am in the 90s from time to time like for grand national sure we played man utd at that time
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2023, 12:52:20 pm »
Sure games used to kick off at 11:15am in the 90s from time to time like for grand national sure we played man utd at that time

yep Leeds games used to be simular. Think the Viduka 4-3 game was 1115/1130

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2023, 12:53:30 pm »
I can only ever remember one 11.15am kickoff, which was City vs Everton & that was a dour 0-0 draw.

11.30am kickoffs that were the norm from the 80s, particularly Liverpool vs United, & on grand national day.

We already have 12pm Sunday kickoffs, but they're used occasionally.
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2023, 01:00:18 pm »

The National was a special case though - we never played on Fridays or Sundays back then, so we'd kick off in the morning. made it easier for the Police and also meant Aintree wasn't losing potentially 30k customers. The Mancs was to keep get them out of the City before town got busy with people shopping and nights out.

I've been to a game v Chelsea on New Years Day with an 11am KO, that was for Sky. Fucking shite, crap atmosphere, everyone hung over.

Not long. 10pm would give American fans a nice kick off between 3 and 5pm depending on which time zone they live in. I watched the 2019 CL in Orlando, 3pm Kick Off, packed with Reds on holiday, its was a great KO time and didn't interfere with the night. I've also watched a League game at 10am on honeymoon there and it was shit, too early to watch footy. Would be 9/10 am for Australian fans too I think
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:02:14 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2023, 01:23:14 pm »
10pm would give American fans a nice kick off between 3 and 5pm depending on which time zone they live in. I watched the 2019 CL in Orlando, 3pm Kick Off, packed with Reds on holiday, its was a great KO time and didn't interfere with the night. I've also watched a League game at 10am on honeymoon there and it was shit, too early to watch footy. Would be 9/10 am for Australian fans too I think

10pm KO in UK would be same time as College Football on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays.

At the moment I think the 12:30 and 4:30pm KO (UK)  range might suit the US TV market due to less competition with more popular sports. They are kicking off and finishing games in the morning US time when there is less competition for viewing figures. American football is absolute king of TV viewing figures in US. That's not only in sport's TV but across the entirety of TV programming. Generally NFL/college football accounts for >80 of the 100 most watched TV broadcasts in a calendar year.

The early and mid afternoon KO times also suit the Asian TV markets. I think anything around Saturday evening (after 6pm) or Sunday evening kick offs is probably to suit European/African/Middle East markets. Anything that is 5-9 hours ahead of UK is not going to have massive TV audiences in the early hours of a Sunday or Monday morning.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:24:47 pm by Jookie »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2023, 02:20:11 pm »
^
Is the footy audience and the NFL audience the same, or do NFL fans still deride "soccer"?

If it is the same, the Fridays nights it is then....
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2023, 02:53:50 pm »
Turns out it was ‘99 and 11.30  ::)

Remember being in Liverpool for an 11:30am kick off around 2004/2008 - wasn't a nice trip from Brighton that morning!

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2023, 03:03:04 pm »
I can only ever remember one 11.15am kickoff, which was City vs Everton & that was a dour 0-0 draw.

11.30am kickoffs that were the norm from the 80s, particularly Liverpool vs United, & on grand national day.

We already have 12pm Sunday kickoffs, but they're used occasionally.

We played Sheffield Wed at 11.30 before the grand national in 1989, also remember playing Leeds in a really early kick off on new years day 91, was still fucked from the night before and no idea how I made it to the match

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2023, 03:56:02 pm »
Don't see the issue here even with the ridiculous Sat 3pm blackout (which should be scrapped, but won't). They just need to use some common sense for the later KOs and also bring them forward slightly.

Fri night 7:30pm - ensure it is between local rivals (a London derby, or even something regional like Everton v United, Burnley v City etc). And of course neither team can have played in Europe that week. I'm pretty sure they could fill most weeks with this fixture time even if they "use it to get rid" of obligations to show certain teams a number of times.
Sat 12:30pm - horrible fixture time but its here to stay
Sat 5:30pm - best time for a game in the whole week
Sun 12:30pm - if it works on a Sat it can work on a Sun
Sun 3pm - no blackout on a Sunday
Sun 5:30pm - just move the 430 back an hour, but I don't like the idea of a game after this on a Sunday to be honest
Mon 7:30pm - many weeks this is not possible of course due to Europe, Internationals, League Cup, but I am sure they can get at least one of the Friday or Monday games scheduled every week.

That's 7 out of the 10 games a week televised best case, realistically the Fri and Mon games won't both work on the same weekend but still easy to get 6 games a week with 5 at an absolute minimum. Surely thats enough and I don't see what the big drama is. I guess they could play a game on Sat or Sun night at 8pm for those cases where neither Friday or Monday doesn't work, but I hope not.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:01:18 pm by kaesarsosei »

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2023, 04:08:39 pm »
^
Is the footy audience and the NFL audience the same, or do NFL fans still deride "soccer"?

If it is the same, the Fridays nights it is then....

I don't know the overlap.

It's just that NFL is huge. I'd say as big, if not bigger, than what football is in this country (UK). From a TV viewership it is.

Therefore I'd expect some overlap.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2023, 04:14:08 pm »
We played Sheffield Wed at 11.30 before the grand national in 1989, also remember playing Leeds in a really early kick off on new years day 91, was still fucked from the night before and no idea how I made it to the match

I remember Leeds home 11.30am Good Friday 2001, we were awful that day & lost 3-1, which was few days before Gary Mac's free kick winner at the pit.
#Sausages

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2023, 05:54:59 pm »
:) Ha ha. Keep on trying to colour within those pesky lines mate. In a few years, you might progress to books with actual words in. Let me know if you do, because at the mo, I dont have the patience or the crayons to try and explain stuff to dopes like you.

Is that aimed at me or the Mod who added it ?