Author Topic: Where is the best place to buy Windows with a licence key from?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
Where is the best place to buy Windows with a licence key from?
« on: January 16, 2022, 01:41:46 am »
Hi

I have two laptops that I need to reinstall Windows on, where is the best place to buy it from?

I checked on the Windows website and Windows 10 pro is £220? Is that right?  :o It’d be cheaper to buy a new laptop  :no

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Where is the best place to buy Windows with a licence key from?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:45:02 am »
https://mrkeyshop.com/en/windows-10/23-microsoft-windows-10-home-32-64-bit-product-key?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=3

I mean I can't vouch for that site - I've never used it, but heard of it well - but even amazon have it for just over a ton

Whack this query into Google. You're not the first to ask...

Don't buy direct from Microsoft. I've even gotten keys at one point for £11. This has to be one of the fre products / industries where you get it direct from the manufacturer and get ripped off even more

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 09:47:34 am »
I always buy mine from https://www.kinguin.net/

I think I have bought about 5 over the years from there, never a problem with any of them

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:23:49 am »
I've got a few off Amazon - never had a problem with them and they are as cheap as chips.

£14 for Windows Pro
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:04:56 am »
Bit more info be good...  8)
which windows do you have now ?... is it legit.. etc..
just go for windows upgrade first, it may just upgrade to windows 10 & activate with no probs.. did my mine with no issues  :wave

https://geeksadvice.com/upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free/comment-page-4/#comments
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 01:40:54 pm »
If you are "re" installing why do you need to buy a key?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 01:55:24 pm »
No need to buy a new license if you are reimaging and it currently has a valid license.

If it's an OEM license it is likely hard coded into the motherboard and will activate itself after reimaging. Otherwise if you connect the computer to your Microsoft account, you just need to reimage and then log into your MS account after imaging and it should activate.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 03:00:18 pm »
If you are "re" installing why do you need to buy a key?

Old laptops and forgotten the passwords so can’t log in  :-\

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 03:01:27 pm »
Thanks for links guys, I’ll check them out  :)

Is there anywhere I can download Windows onto a usb so I can install them onto the laptops? Or am I better off buying the keys that come with the cd?

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 05:29:22 pm »
have a look here...  you need a 10GB usb pendrive.. download creation tool & windows 10.. install then you need a valid key.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-create-a-windows-10-bootable-usb-its-easier-than-you-think/

you can buy a key or disk off ebay.. most of them are ok, make sure it's a UK seller .. ive had a few for mates laptops with no issues
i'm an IT Tech.. shame your not near me, i'd of have a go at cracking the password for you  8)

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 01:29:03 am »
have a look here...  you need a 10GB usb pendrive.. download creation tool & windows 10.. install then you need a valid key.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/how-to-create-a-windows-10-bootable-usb-its-easier-than-you-think/

you can buy a key or disk off ebay.. most of them are ok, make sure it's a UK seller .. ive had a few for mates laptops with no issues
i'm an IT Tech.. shame your not near me, i'd of have a go at cracking the password for you  8)

haha, a shame indeed!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 08:55:32 am »
I always buy mine from https://www.kinguin.net/

I think I have bought about 5 over the years from there, never a problem with any of them

https://mrkeyshop.com/en/windows-10/23-microsoft-windows-10-home-32-64-bit-product-key?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=3

I mean I can't vouch for that site - I've never used it, but heard of it well - but even amazon have it for just over a ton

Whack this query into Google. You're not the first to ask...

Don't buy direct from Microsoft. I've even gotten keys at one point for £11. This has to be one of the fre products / industries where you get it direct from the manufacturer and get ripped off even more

Honestly whilst those keys will work (and likely last forever), you won't have a proper license.

Might as well use a KMS activator and get it for free, it's just as legal.
:D

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 09:01:56 am »
Honestly whilst those keys will work (and likely last forever), you won't have a proper license.

Might as well use a KMS activator and get it for free, it's just as legal.

I mean I literally used the microsoft activation line with one of the keys and was fine, so i'm not sure how not legit

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 09:26:53 am »
I mean I literally used the microsoft activation line with one of the keys and was fine, so i'm not sure how not legit

You activated an OEM key, these keys are distributed to PC manufacturers - not for consumer use. The reason you need to phone to activate is because it won't activate properly through Windows like a retail license should.

All these key sites do is sell OEM, VL and second hand retail keys. None of these technically grants you a license to use the software.

You're paying for the privilage of Windows saying its activated rather than owning a legitimate peice of software. You may as well install Windows as usual then run this: https://github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL to activate it. The end result is the same and you don't end up paying for it. Microsoft don't much care either way.
:D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 09:50:53 am »
You activated an OEM key, these keys are distributed to PC manufacturers - not for consumer use. The reason you need to phone to activate is because it won't activate properly through Windows like a retail license should.

All these key sites do is sell OEM, VL and second hand retail keys. None of these technically grants you a license to use the software.

You're paying for the privilage of Windows saying its activated rather than owning a legitimate peice of software. You may as well install Windows as usual then run this: https://github.com/kkkgo/KMS_VL_ALL to activate it. The end result is the same and you don't end up paying for it. Microsoft don't much care either way.

The ones I got from Amazon are legit keys.

They are retail resellers

Big Corporations bin their laptops, but sell their keys

So the laptop is in a skip being crushed, but the licence is legit for one (And only one) laptop - the last company I worked for (before this one and er before the last one) sold them regularly and got money back off the laptops being stripped for components

They have 240,000 employees so selling Laptop keys adds up over time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:52:36 am by Andy @ Allerton! »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 10:12:32 am »
The reason you need to phone to activate is because it won't activate properly through Windows like a retail license should.

That was only once licence though, every other activated as windows should through windows. OEM or not they are legit versions so no scrips needed

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 10:25:46 am »
The ones I got from Amazon are legit keys.

They are retail resellers

Big Corporations bin their laptops, but sell their keys

So the laptop is in a skip being crushed, but the licence is legit for one (And only one) laptop - the last company I worked for (before this one and er before the last one) sold them regularly and got money back off the laptops being stripped for components

They have 240,000 employees so selling Laptop keys adds up over time.

Those licenses from laptops are OEM licenses which was Kashinoda's point.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 01:29:39 pm »

im a computer noob, is that KMS thing simple to use?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2022, 01:35:27 pm »
Those licenses from laptops are OEM licenses which was Kashinoda's point.

They activated online.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2022, 01:47:08 pm »
They activated online.

Yes but the point is that they are OEM licenses and though they do activate, they technically are not valid. It just happens that MS just don't really care that much about personal OS licensing.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 02:13:22 pm »
Do you really need to activate?  Windows 10 and 11 let you install and use basically everything without it being activated. The only drawbacks are that it won't let you change the desktop background as easily (and a few other aesthetic options) and you have a small watermark in the corner saying "activate windows".  I have been using my PC for more than a year like this and I don't even notice it to be honest!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2022, 02:13:24 pm »
Yes but the point is that they are OEM licenses and though they do activate, they technically are not valid. It just happens that MS just don't really care that much about personal OS licensing.

Not seeing the point being made then?

They are valid and Microsoft activated them online.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 10:52:55 pm »
You say you're a pc noob, so this maybe out your comfort zone..  :lickin   . but maybe you got a mate who can do this ?

download a copy of 'Hirens BootCD' 2.9GB and burn to dvd
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

put into laptop and when you boot laptop find the boot order shortcut (google your laptop model) ... boot from disc.
the disc will load in a Mini XP mode off the disc... there are loads of tools to use.. some 'Key Finders'  or even CMD command to find product key.
you'll need to know what version is on the laptop... windows 7 32 bit... 64 bit  8)

piece of piss really....  :mooncat

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #23 on: February 5, 2022, 05:04:59 am »

Somewhere around 20-30 € a key on games to all, https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-microsoft-key-global-i10000083914003

Tha'd be legit, no need to worry afterwards.

This still seems to be able to guide you if you have a win7 key or similar https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

Or what hixxstar said.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 9, 2022, 03:20:20 pm »
G2A are an awful site I believe, will rob you blind at the first chance. They also usually want photo ID to process orders, or did last time I was there

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 12:20:00 am »
G2A are an awful site I believe, will rob you blind at the first chance. They also usually want photo ID to process orders, or did last time I was there

Hmm, didn't need to provide a photo ID when I bought mine, could be different regarding regions though.

Never had any problems with that site, though I only ever buy from a seller with 1000+ sales and  above 97% rating. Same as when buying from ebay.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 09:56:38 am »
So I am leaving my current organisation and alongwith it, my Office 365 subscription at home.
I saw that it costs 69 euros per user per year or 99 euros for upto 6 users per year. Or the 2021 edition, as a one time fee, costs 149 euros.
I was wondering if there is a bypass for this. But we are 1 or 2 users (1 laptop and 1 desktop) at the max.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:18 am »
So I am leaving my current organisation and alongwith it, my Office 365 subscription at home.
I saw that it costs 69 euros per user per year or 99 euros for upto 6 users per year. Or the 2021 edition, as a one time fee, costs 149 euros.
I was wondering if there is a bypass for this. But we are 1 or 2 users (1 laptop and 1 desktop) at the max.

Is there anything in Office 365 that isn't in Office 2021? As it's £30/£40 here :-

https://www.kinguin.net/category/106912/ms-office-2021-home-and-business-retail-key-for-mac

https://www.kinguin.net/category/100058/ms-office-2021-home-and-student-retail-key

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 11:36:06 am »
Perfect. Thats still reasonable.
Thanks mate. :)

Edit: I only need to use Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Nothing more. 100%
Probably MS-Teams sometimes but I can use it on the browser.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 12:24:17 pm »
Well I think Office 2019 even cheaper then :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2022, 12:24:49 pm »
Plus OpenOffice is free as well

https://www.openoffice.org/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2022, 04:26:33 pm »

You can get a key off Amazon for the 2019 Office Pro suite - cost me £10  (No repeat payments)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2022, 08:07:00 am »
Amazon and the kinguin are the best options out there for me I think. Its not that expensive.

The problem with OpenOffice is that, though free, it messes up with the formatting of my resume (for example).

If I am to recreate my resume from scratch, then probably it would make sense.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2022, 01:29:35 pm »
Do you really need to activate?  Windows 10 and 11 let you install and use basically everything without it being activated. The only drawbacks are that it won't let you change the desktop background as easily (and a few other aesthetic options) and you have a small watermark in the corner saying "activate windows".  I have been using my PC for more than a year like this and I don't even notice it to be honest!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...