Author Topic: “The wife” (a study in how men subconsciously other women).  (Read 6908 times)

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
Re: “The wife” (a study in how men subconsciously other women).
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2021, 10:20:43 pm »
I’d rather read 4 pages of this than 1000 pages of the transfer thread. And the Henderson one.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2021, 10:24:07 pm »
I’d rather read 4 pages of this than 1000 pages of the transfer thread. And the Henderson one.

Don't mention FSG either or you'll summon up the Daemon Al666.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2021, 10:30:22 pm »
Don't mention FSG either or you'll summon up the Daemon Al666.

I wonder if Linda asks John Henry to get his FSG out in the evening to other him.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: “The wife”
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2021, 10:36:35 pm »
I was talking about this to Mrs Big Dick just earlier this morning.
This is still the best post in the thread.  :lmao

In all seriousness, I think Tepid is getting a hard time of it here. Although it's not something I'd go to war over, I can see his point.

On here, my partner is 'Mrs Spion' or 'my partner'. In daily life I call her by her name and she calls me by mine. It's just a mutual respect thing.

I've never called her 'the wife' and never would. Mind you, I've never been a blokey bloke, and virtually all my friends are female, so I've never really gone for many of the terms commonly used. Mrs Spion would think I was a dickhead if I started called her ''the wife'' because it's rather alien from me.

I remember watching Four in a Bed on telly once and some fella kept calling his partner ''wifey''. It sounded so cringy and quite derogatory, but she was fine with it as far as I remember, so each to their own. Also, there is a female columnist in one daily paper who has a habit of saying ''the husband'' and I always find that really try-too-hard ladette shite.

Anyway, people in different places with different local cultures call each other lots of things others might find a bit odd. Basically, if something you call a partner pisses them off, stop saying it. If both are fine with it, it's all good. Me? I'll just stick to Mrs Spion on here and proper name in daily life, because that's what we are both comfortable with.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2021, 10:39:04 pm »
Perhaps try a generosity  of spirit once in a while?

As Elmo says, this is likely an outcome of a certain type of man.

The phrase pushes my buttons as it’s a distillation (for me) of how so many men treat women as objects, acquisitions, possessions, near personal servants ….
Mate, my wife is the most beautiful, wonderful, loving, caring, amazing woman I've ever met in my entire life.
A fantastic wife and soul mate to me; a fantastic, wonderful, caring, loving mother to our two daughters.
I'd do a doggy style arse scrape across broken glass and razor blades rather than cause her the slightest moment of mental, or physical, harm.
And yet, when I leave the lads in the pub, I say to them "It's the chippy then back home to the wife and kids for me."
It's just a turn of phrase; nothing more, nothing less  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2021, 10:41:05 pm »
Mate, my wife is the most beautiful, wonderful, loving, caring, amazing woman I've ever met in my entire life.
A fantastic wife and soul mate to me; a fantastic, wonderful, caring, loving mother to our two daughters.
I'd do a doggy style arse scrape across broken glass and razor blades rather than cause her the slightest moment of mental, or physical, harm.
And yet, when I leave the lads in the pub, I say to them "It's the chippy then back home to the wife and kids for me."
Tesco, you're a wonderful human being.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #206 on: July 22, 2021, 10:42:01 pm »

‘The’ lads?
You bastard.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2021, 10:46:02 pm »

:thumbup

I feel the same about my own wife. She's such a wonderful woman and a fantastic Mum to our two lads.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2021, 10:47:02 pm »

I feel the same about my own wife. She's such a wonderful woman and a fantastic Mum to our two lads.

The lads

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2021, 10:47:51 pm »
The lads

Aye. I took one of the lads with me to the Asda this morning
Jurgen YNWA

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2021, 10:50:31 pm »
Aye. I took one of the lads with me to the Asda this morning

Nice to hear the it

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2021, 10:55:22 pm »
Tesco, you're a wonderful human being.  :)
Aw shucks mate; I'm welling up here  ;D

‘The’ lads?
You bastard.
Yer can't say fuckin anything on here! :lmao

Brilliant isn't it  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2021, 10:59:47 pm »

Why do you weigh her once a month though?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2021, 11:02:14 pm »

Christ you Disney Land pair of Fannies. You auditioning for Twilight? :lmao

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2021, 11:21:11 pm »
Why do you weigh her once a month though?
Arrrggghhh!
You got me; what have I missed?  ;D

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2021, 11:23:32 pm »
FFS kidda!  :lmao

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2021, 11:26:08 pm »
FFS kidda!  :lmao

haha was like listening to Edward Cullen and Jacob Black reminiscing about Bella Swan

Was beautiful ;D

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2021, 11:27:15 pm »
I like 'the wife'. But I'm not married - just been with her for over 20 years spawning two kids, so maybe that's why I like to refer to her as 'the wife' - but it goes deeper really. To me it's a very fond expression, but it also traverses something across to fellow husbands about I dunno... the ups and downs that we all (pretty much) have. Derogatory not at all. The fucking wife, or the bloody wife or the godforsaken hussy wife... yes, that is derogatory.

'The wife' is a shared expression. It encapsulates things about our lives but it's never derogatory... in fact, at times, it's nearer to a self deprecating admission.

If some women don't like it that's cool - then maybe not use it - but don't let's set up laws about language. We all interpret things differently so allow it to breathe.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2021, 11:32:52 pm »
I put on a band once where the guy fronting it was in a well known band and he was going out on a solo project and on this tour he was playing with his wife. I promoted it, and some fuck up happened with the gig blurb - a need to cull words at the last minute - and yes it DID sound like it was 'famous guy plus his wife' but what I was trying to get across was 'he's come with his fucking wife man, this is beautiful'.

Long story, but she signed off with a happy goodbye message and ended it with 'The Wife'.  ;D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2021, 11:48:29 pm »
No, I don’t think it is.  I do think there’s a clear correlation round my way.

Thats whatI said earlier but less, succinctly

as I said earier there are plenty of examples  - The Doctor,  the in-laws etc

its all about the perceived relationship between men and woman, men dont change to the womans name after marriage, there are issues in society that makes the man and wife relationship problematic

however I do think its far too woke, but get whrere hes coming from
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2021, 12:21:43 am »

' The' Henderson.

You uncaring, none progressive,  de humanising Bastard!

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2021, 02:13:45 am »
Just catching up on the thread
Oh God just log off at this point
Too late! He goes on to post this
I find some of the responses in this thread profoundly disturbing..
:lmao

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2021, 06:27:35 am »
Usually when I have heard anyone use that term its in the context of ‘the Wife’ having the ultimate power in a decision, be it choice of holiday, something they are buying or sexual position.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2021, 07:49:20 am »

:lmao
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2021, 08:53:21 am »
Going to take the ball and chain for some dinner later.

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2021, 09:37:37 am »

Pomposity off the scale now.  :lmao

Close friends: I'd use her name as they've actually met her

Colleagues: My wife/the wife/the Missus because they don't know her, can't picture her and don't need to know her name

I'm also failing to see the "othering" of women (and happy to have it explained).

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2021, 09:41:16 am »
Don't see why anyone would be arsed. Me bird, the wife, the missus. I've heard partner's all addressed one way or another from others and never thought nothing of it.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2021, 09:44:58 am »
Arrrggghhh!
You got me; what have I missed?  ;D

The people who use the phrase “the wife” here are Tory golf/rugby club middle types who weigh their wives once a month.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2021, 09:47:51 am »
For context, I love in the south east.

The people who use the phrase “the wife” here are Tory golf/rugby club middle types who weigh their wives once a month (and this genuinely  happens).

Maybe I’m influenced  by their use of it? 

They certainly use it in a derogatory manner, so I’m happy to be in a minority of one.  I still think I’m right.

None of whom will ever be found posting or lurking on RAWK
Jurgen YNWA

Offline zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2021, 09:55:42 am »
None of whom will ever be found posting or lurking on RAWK
I believe this is othering in action for any poster on here that doesn't agree with him ;)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2021, 10:02:41 am »
The thread has been such a whirlwind of excitement that I missed that bit  ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2021, 10:11:21 am »
I like 'the wife'.

After 20 years together I'm sure she'd be glad to hear it ;D

I just want to know exactly what it is these men subconsciously DO to other women?!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2021, 10:20:19 am »
Trying to shit stir, finds there is no shit to stir so doubles down on being "right", absolute whopper.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2021, 10:41:56 am »
What a thread this turned out to be. Poor Tepid!