Author Topic: Green Day: One of the greatest punk rock bands this decade!!!!!  (Read 9218 times)

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Green Day: One of the greatest punk rock bands this decade!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: May 3, 2011, 11:14:09 am »
err..alright then. What would you consider to be genuine punk?
Actual punk dear. Discharge, Varukers, English Dogs, UK82 stuff, Clash, Ramones, Rudi Peni, Anti-sect, Anti-system.

Basically hundreds of bands you've never heard of.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #121 on: May 3, 2011, 11:20:35 am »
Got the first one on marbled vinyl, good shit.
I'm currently sat at work listening to it in my headphones.
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: May 3, 2011, 11:23:29 am »
err..alright then. What would you consider to be genuine punk?

It's irrelevant - The Ramones or The Clash or The Sex Pistols I suppose, if I'm pushed. But The Clash only really got good when they brought reggae and other stuff into it, and the Sex Pistols and the Ramones never progressed beyond their single limited palette of sounds really. And if you look at the Ramones scene, all the contemporary bands who were less punk, are far more interesting - Talking Heads, Blondie, Television, Patti Smith Group etc.

The whole point of punk was to be able to express yourself without needing to be a master of your instrument like all the boring mid 70s prog rockers noodling away, it was a reaction against that. But once you realise that ultimately music must be about music and not ethos, style or aesthetics, then having musicians who can barely play is less of a good idea (hence the Clash going on to be perhaps the most lionised of the punk bands, as it turned out Jones and Headon were superb musically, and Simenon wasn't far behind once he got started.)

Green Day manage to employ all the pretentious bombast of the 70s rockers whom punk formed as a reaction against, with the irritable pretension of being punk. Worst of all, they're just rubbish - lame lyrics, ripping off Oasis chord sequences (third hand then...) and pretensions of operatic grandeur within a punk context (oxymoronic).

'Do you have the time to listen to me whine?'

No, and it's fucking fake anyway as you've had millions in the bank since about 1994.

I'm sure lots of people enjoy them and yadda yadda who am I to grudge them. Bah.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 3, 2011, 11:35:09 am »
I'm currently sat at work listening to it in my headphones.

Lucky bugger, if I'm allowed the radio on it's gonna be radio 1 or shite local stuff. :(
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline greenone

• Dai Clarkson Dai Dai!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Some people believe in Jesus I believe in Ian Rush
« Reply #124 on: May 3, 2011, 11:40:19 am »
Lucky bugger, if I'm allowed the radio on it's gonna be radio 1 or shite local stuff. :(
I've got my headphones on so I don't have to listen to radio 1.  ;D
“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.” – Bill Shankly

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 4, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
Why so much hate for a band that has done good?

It's more pity than hate. If you were 8 years of age I can understand the attraction totally, but when you start waking up at around 12/13, then surely Green Day are exactly the type of band you'd point and laugh at - a first point of call. What good did they do by the way? I don't want to hear anything about their charitable activities if that's the case.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 4, 2011, 10:22:31 pm »
Actual punk dear. Discharge, Varukers, English Dogs, UK82 stuff, Clash, Ramones, Rudi Peni, Anti-sect, Anti-system.

Basically hundreds of bands you've never heard of.

Most of those are pub bands.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #127 on: May 4, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »
As I think I've said before, I like Green Day. I am fully aware that the music is pandering and simplistic, and that whatever image they like to project is probably bollocks, but they write and perform good pop tunes and me and my 9 year old like to throw some on in the car after training on the way to the chippy. He wants Now 483 and I want M Ward so it's a happy compromise.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 4, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

I really shouldn't think so.

Although come to think of it I don't know any actual punk bands who could play big festivals, so surely pubs are where the punk is actually at. :)

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 4, 2011, 11:16:02 pm »
As I think I've said before, I like Green Day. I am fully aware that the music is pandering and simplistic, and that whatever image they like to project is probably bollocks, but they write and perform good pop tunes and me and my 9 year old like to throw some on in the car after training on the way to the chippy. He wants Now 483 and I want M Ward so it's a happy compromise.

Nail. Head.

Should have worded your thread title a bit better m'dear. Nowt to do with punk and all to do with pop.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #130 on: May 5, 2011, 01:15:55 am »

The Clash and the Ramones pub bands? The pinnacle of rock n roll more like.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #131 on: May 5, 2011, 01:53:12 am »
I'm with SamAteTheRedAcid on this one, in fact it's in the New Wave scene where Punk scene really takes off, bands who had only learnt their 3 chords a year or two earlier begin expanding and pushing their sound in wonderful new directions whilst not losing the initial focus and drive of punk hence why The Clash are as lauded as they are, so after Punk's initial first wave we get Television, Talking Heads, Blondie, XTC, Wire, Patti Smith even Elvis Costello And The Attractions taking the Punk ethos and expanding upon it to make some of the most brilliant music of the last 50 years. Forget Punk...New Wave is where it's at.

Oh and Green Day are shite.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 5, 2011, 04:07:59 am »
The Clash and the Ramones pub bands? The pinnacle of rock n roll more like.

He said most not all.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: May 5, 2011, 06:19:03 am »
Korean punk :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8rkq8eGV4WY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8rkq8eGV4WY</a>

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #134 on: May 5, 2011, 08:46:47 am »
It's more pity than hate. If you were 8 years of age I can understand the attraction totally, but when you start waking up at around 12/13, then surely Green Day are exactly the type of band you'd point and laugh at - a first point of call. What good did they do by the way? I don't want to hear anything about their charitable activities if that's the case.

Charitable activities now play an important role in classifying quality punk bands from not so classy punk bands? Interesting.

So, what are Madness?
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 5, 2011, 09:24:55 am »
Uh.......ska....

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #136 on: May 5, 2011, 03:31:59 pm »
Charitable activities now play an important role in classifying quality punk bands from not so classy punk bands? Interesting.

So, what are Madness?

Ska or Pop with a hint of Ska, not a hint of Punk in Madness.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 6, 2011, 07:36:46 am »
Ska or Pop with a hint of Ska, not a hint of Punk in Madness.

hmm....my girl has to rank as one of the greatest punk songs ever.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 6, 2011, 08:27:17 am »
hmm....my girl has to rank as one of the greatest punk songs ever.

No, no it doesn't.

I think maybe you need to learn about what punk is before you start making yourself look silly.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #139 on: May 6, 2011, 11:48:52 am »
No, no it doesn't.

I think maybe you need to learn about what punk is before you start making yourself look silly.

Pretty sure he's taking the piss. I'd hope so anyway.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 6, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »
No, no it doesn't.

Why are you so upset?

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 6, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »
Pretty sure he's taking the piss. I'd hope so anyway.
You never know. People like this so actually exist.  ;)

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 6, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
Why are you so upset?

Why is correcting you on being horrifically wrong me being upset? It's called educating dear.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 6, 2011, 10:52:03 pm »

So, what are Madness?

What?

You said they'd done good... and I was asking what good? Now I realise you meant gone 'MEGA!'? I.E Gone successful... i.e crawling out from their poverty ridden, ideologically pure bellies to find success and happiness. Green Day were always a bit of a joke. They were always a bit shit. Now they're just a lot shit.

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
Re: Green Day: One of the rock bands this decade!!!!!
« Reply #144 on: May 6, 2011, 11:32:14 pm »
Hang on a minute.

"Green Day: One of the greatest punk rock bands this decade!!!!!"

I'd assume you'd mean last decade too? If yes, then amend the thread title.

I'd go with "Green Day: One of the rock bands this decade!!!!!", more accurate, no?

How about "The Stranglers: More 'punk' than Green Day, better tunes, 4 decades ago (and they could kick the fucking shit out them blindfold - and probably still could!!!!!)"

Can't wait to hear Green Day's output next decade...

Green Day does not get my nads pumpin....

All thats gone before it, and fucking American Idiot is all they come up with. MTV bollocks for dickheads.

"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 1, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »
Think they're only band that I listened to as a youngin that I can still tolerate.

Seriously considering going to see them on tour now that the singer bloke's out of rehab. Silly expensive though.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2021, 10:48:13 pm »
Was searching for the appropriate thread to bump - there's some wild chat going on in some of the various Green Day (/"Greeday") threads on RAWK over the years - one descended into a argument about the merits of John Lennon's work (both as a solo artist and with The Beatles), whilst another was based around pretty much a great-to-shite poll.

Anyway, for anyone who does like - or has liked - them, I thought it worth mentioning that the new live collection (BBC Sessions is very good indeed. It's a collection of four 4-song live sessions from 1994-2001 - pretty much a session each dedicated to their four albums from that period. Well worth it, even if you just fancy a nostalgia trip - you'll know the words.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sessions_(Green_Day_album)

(Full disclosure, I actually really liked their 2016 album, though it was all I'd heard since American Idiot)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:51:48 pm by jackh@xmas »