Author Topic: Discussion re how to bake in our success for the long term  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Discussion re how to bake in our success for the long term
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2019, 11:10:14 pm »
Because it is an old fashioned concept in which you pretty much only signed players from one agent or agency. A clubs recruitment strategy should be about the best player for each position chosen by the manager.

It shouldn't be about an agent having an in at one particular Club and flooding it with their clients.

Who were these 30 people?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2019, 11:10:33 pm »
The High number was why I asked. Perhaps when he was managing the Kids.

I am talking about 30 or 40% of the first team at one time being clients of one agency and 80 to 90% of pundits being from the same agency.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2019, 11:12:47 pm »
I am talking about 30 or 40% of the first team at one time being clients of one agency and 80 to 90% of pundits being from the same agency.

and how did Gerrard get these players into the 1st team and who were they? Who was the manager at the time?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2019, 11:28:54 pm »
and how did Gerrard get these players into the 1st team and who were they? Who was the manager at the time?

"I became an agent in 1991 and in the last 10 years I'd say I've probably arranged between 18 to 20 deals with Liverpool. This is the only one which has been untidy.

"My first client at Liverpool was Dominic Matteo. He introduced me to Jamie Carragher, who in turn told Steven Gerrard about how I worked. I brought Emile Heskey to the club and arranged his move away last season and I've represented Gary McAllister for many years.

This is the agent. I suggest you have a look at how many deals he subsequently did with the Club.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2019, 11:38:18 pm »

This is the agent. I suggest you have a look at how many deals he subsequently did with the Club.

Youve already told us 30  ;)

Same agent Steven had when he didnt sign for Chelsea.  Same agent that was dealing with LFC when Steven was a kid

Nothing to see here mate.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2019, 11:57:10 pm »
Youve already told us 30  ;)

Same agent Steven had when he didnt sign for Chelsea.  Same agent that was dealing with LFC when Steven was a kid

Nothing to see here mate.

Well considering the agent readily admitted to 18 to 20 deals pre 2005 I can easily fill in another 10-12 if you require.

The really interesting bit though is what percentage of the agencies business includes Liverpool. Unsurprisingly it is ridiculously high.

Even better check out how many pundits are represented by the same agency.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2019, 11:57:51 pm »
"I became an agent in 1991 and in the last 10 years I'd say I've probably arranged between 18 to 20 deals with Liverpool. This is the only one which has been untidy.

"My first client at Liverpool was Dominic Matteo. He introduced me to Jamie Carragher, who in turn told Steven Gerrard about how I worked. I brought Emile Heskey to the club and arranged his move away last season and I've represented Gary McAllister for many years.

To those interested, this is Al's source https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/20-kop-deals-gerrards-been-3529631

In it, the agent guesses at making 18-20 deals with liverpool in the past ten years (ie 1995 - 2005). No sign of a guess at the number of players 'placed at Liverpool', would be cool Al if you tried to back up your claims instead of leaving other people to research for you. You did the same yesterday where you claimed Zorc didn't have a hit and miss record with transfers at Dortmund, unlike Edwards. Any evidence Gerrard has picked up players for Rangers based on their agent?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 12:03:04 am »
As lovely as this conversation is, its the most pre-mature conversation in football considering however many years Klopp has left on his contract.

Gerrard on the other hand will have to improve significantly to get the job at that point, otherwise it's going to be Souness 2.0 imo.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2019, 12:08:35 am »
As lovely as this conversation is, its the most pre-mature conversation in football considering however many years Klopp has left on his contract.

Gerrard on the other hand will have to improve significantly to get the job at that point, otherwise it's going to be Souness 2.0 imo.

Weirdly enough I was having a similar conversation about who might be next with my brother today. I said something similar about Gerrard, but the more I thought about it I think it’s just the link with Rangers and him being a great player. The reality should be quite different if he were to be next as he would likely be joining at a point where the club is strong and heading in the right direction with a clear set up in place.

I think when Souness came back, although the rot had already set in, he tried to change too much too quickly, and that shouldn’t be required this time around.
Doesn’t mean Gerrard will/would fair any better but I think if he did come next he’d pick up a much more settled and healthy club.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:11:50 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2019, 12:09:21 am »
Well considering the agent readily admitted to 18 to 20 deals pre 2005 I can easily fill in another 10-12 if you require.

The really interesting bit though is what percentage of the agencies business includes Liverpool. Unsurprisingly it is ridiculously high.

Even better check out how many pundits are represented by the same agency.
Q
Im not interested the least in the pundits. How does that effect Stens ability to do the job?

Now are you suggesting Steven profited from this relationship?
Is there anything to suggest the relationship was bad for Liverpool?
If its bad why were Houllier, Rafa, Evans so complicit? 

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2019, 12:13:21 am »
To those interested, this is Al's source https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/20-kop-deals-gerrards-been-3529631

In it, the agent guesses at making 18-20 deals with liverpool in the past ten years (ie 1995 - 2005). No sign of a guess at the number of players 'placed at Liverpool', would be cool Al if you tried to back up your claims instead of leaving other people to research for you. You did the same yesterday where you claimed Zorc didn't have a hit and miss record with transfers at Dortmund, unlike Edwards. Any evidence Gerrard has picked up players for Rangers based on their agent?

I dunno you could look at Rangers best paid player and guess which agency he is represented by. Doh I wonder if that will be the same agency as Gerrard or not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11322687/Jermain-Defoe-offered-to-Liverpool-in-January-transfer-window.html

https://talksport.com/football/227129/liverpool-urged-sign-jermain-defoe-talksport-told-veteran-striker-can-have-zlatan/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-transfer-news-sunderland-jermain-16995101

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:18:12 am by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2019, 12:30:29 am »
I dunno you could look at Rangers best paid player and guess which agency he is represented by. Doh I wonder if that will be the same agency as Gerrard or not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11322687/Jermain-Defoe-offered-to-Liverpool-in-January-transfer-window.html

https://talksport.com/football/227129/liverpool-urged-sign-jermain-defoe-talksport-told-veteran-striker-can-have-zlatan/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-transfer-news-sunderland-jermain-16995101

One rangers example down, about 25 signings 'placed' at liverpool to go.

Do you think signing Defoe is proof that Gerrard is influenced by his agent to a degree that he'd have to "above all" change behaviour to be considered at Liverpool a long way down the line?

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2019, 12:39:50 am »
Weirdly enough I was having a similar conversation about who might be next with my brother today. I said something similar about Gerrard, but the more I thought about it I think it’s just the link with Rangers and him being a great player. The reality should be quite different if he were to be next as he would likely be joining at a point where the club is strong and heading in the right direction with a clear set up in place.

I think when Souness came back, although the rot had already set in, he tried to change too much too quickly, and that shouldn’t be required this time around.
Doesn’t mean Gerrard will/would fair any better but I think if he did come next he’d pick up a much more settled and healthy club.

Even with a great set up, that doesn't translate to success on the pitch. Gerrard imo will need to do something worthy as a manager to get his job, otherwise it's doomed for failure. It's too big of a risk, and all the work done can be undone with someone who isn't qualified enough for te job. For one he needs to establish his philosophy whatever it may be. Managing Rangers really isn't worth mentioning. Neil Lennon won things at Celtic, and followed up with a job with Bolton.

He needs to be thinking about futher challenging himself and making some kind of mark as a manager in a better league.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2019, 12:53:49 am »
Even with a great set up, that doesn't translate to success on the pitch. Gerrard imo will need to do something worthy as a manager to get his job, otherwise it's doomed for failure. It's too big of a risk, and all the work done can be undone with someone who isn't qualified enough for te job. For one he needs to establish his philosophy whatever it may be. Managing Rangers really isn't worth mentioning. Neil Lennon won things at Celtic, and followed up with a job with Bolton.

He needs to be thinking about futher challenging himself and making some kind of mark as a manager in a better league.

As you said originally it’s all rather premature, as Gerrard may not be experienced or proven when the opportunity arises. Also no one other than Klopp knows if he’ll stay on past the end of this contract.

I only responded as it just so happened I’d had a similar conversation today and my main point was more that the club should be in a very different situation to when Souness came in, so I don’t think the Souness comparison is necessarily an accurate one. I’d agree that Gerrard still has plenty to prove though as things stand.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2019, 01:08:02 am »
As you said originally it’s all rather premature, as Gerrard may not be experienced or proven when the opportunity arises. Also no one other than Klopp knows if he’ll stay on past the end of this contract.

I only responded as it just so happened I’d had a similar conversation today and my main point was more that the club should be in a very different situation to when Souness came in, so I don’t think the Souness comparison is necessarily an accurate one. I’d agree that Gerrard still has plenty to prove though as things stand.

I get you mate, was just adding on to what you said  :)

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2019, 02:47:42 am »
That's simple. Just make Klopp sign the fucking contract extension! End of story...
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2019, 03:49:23 am »
That's simple. Just make Klopp sign the fucking contract extension! End of story...
Just put a horse's head in his bed. It's not his life, it's Liverpool's life.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2019, 07:18:22 am »
What the fuck is this all about?

Locked.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2019, 10:37:46 am »
What the fuck is this all about?

Locked.

I should explain sir - this started out as a derailment of the Michael Edwards thread.  ::)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422