Author Topic: Spanish Football  (Read 597628 times)

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spanish Football
« Reply #7880 on: May 16, 2024, 09:57:52 pm »
68'
0 - 2
Goal! Sergi Roberto displays great vision and sends a pass to Fermin Lopez (Barcelona), who shows brilliant composure inside the box to bury the ball into the back of the net.

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7881 on: May 16, 2024, 10:22:43 pm »
Full Time

Almeria  0 Barcelona 2

Online Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7882 on: May 16, 2024, 10:57:40 pm »
Full Time

Real Sociedad  1  Valencia  0

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7883 on: May 17, 2024, 12:20:03 pm »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7884 on: May 21, 2024, 12:35:39 pm »
Kroos retiring after the Euros

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #7885 on: May 21, 2024, 01:24:35 pm »
Kroos retiring after the Euros

Real expertly rebuild. Probably try and keep Modric now.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7886 on: May 21, 2024, 01:59:56 pm »
Swear they only paid about 25 million for Kroos when he was relatively young and had just won the treble with Bayern. Think Thiago might have replaced him at Bayern actually. One of the best value for money signings in recent times which can be said about loads of the Madrid signings. The new generation will probably win more than Kroos/Modric even did, crazy.

When you can sign players like him and Modric it makes everything look easy. Of course Madrid is the dream destination for most footballers but they've got their money about a thousand times over with those two. Times change and all with transfer fees but United paid more for an old, finished version of Casemiro than Madrid must have paid for the three of them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 02:03:54 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7887 on: May 22, 2024, 10:21:18 am »
The coolest fact about Kroos.

He's the last living player who was born in the old East Germany, born a few days before the Wall came down.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7888 on: May 22, 2024, 11:07:16 am »
Swear they only paid about 25 million for Kroos when he was relatively young and had just won the treble with Bayern

I think he only had a year left on his deal which is why they signed him for what they did. I seem to recall reading a while ago that  he might have stayed at Bayern had they not lowballed repeated attempts at a new contract - Götze was getting paid significantly more and Kroos wanted similar. Also he had verbally agreed to join Man Utd at one point. The contract only needed his signature. Moyes got sacked and Kroos looked elsewhere.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7889 on: May 22, 2024, 11:21:47 am »
I think he only had a year left on his deal which is why they signed him for what they did. I seem to recall reading a while ago that  he might have stayed at Bayern had they not lowballed repeated attempts at a new contract - Götze was getting paid significantly more and Kroos wanted similar. Also he had verbally agreed to join Man Utd at one point. The contract only needed his signature. Moyes got sacked and Kroos looked elsewhere.

Kroos recently admitted he was ready to leave not just Bayern but the Bundesliga altogether if he was unsuccessful in elevating his earnings from £60,000 a week to around £150,000.

If that was music to Moyes’ ears, the Manchester United manager will be just as heartened to hear that Bayern have called a halt to negotiations with the midfielder’s representatives, in exasperation at their refusal to lower their sights. - March 2014

April 2014 Moyes gets sacked. May 2014 Louis van Gaal appointed new Man United manager. July 2014 Kroos signs for Real Madrid.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7890 on: May 24, 2024, 01:30:20 pm »
Xavi likely to get sacked now over comments about finances and competitiveness
https://www.football-espana.net/2024/05/17/barcelona-president-joan-laporta-to-sack-xavi-hernandez-16-days-after-u-turn-on-future

Barcelona plan to hire Hansi Flick as coach after telling Xavi his time is up
> Club announce Xavi’s last game will be at Sevilla on Sunday
> Xavi was due to stay until at least 2025 after U-turn in April

Barcelona intend to make Hansi Flick their new coach after announcing that Xavi Hernández will leave after the season’s final game on Sunday. The president, Joan Laporta, informed Xavi of his fate in a meeting at the training ground on Friday.

Barcelona have been talking to Flick for months and although the German’s camp denied there had been a meeting in London this week with the coach, his agent Pini Zahavi and the club’s sporting director Deco, an agreement has been put in place for the former Bayern Munich and Germany manager to take over. The B team coach, Rafa Márquez, has been suggested as an alternative.

The final decision on the coach had been scheduled for a meeting to be held after the final game of the season, at Sevilla on Sunday night. But a little after midday on Friday, Laporta visited the club’s San Joan Despi HQ, where he met with Xavi, Deco, the vice-president Rafa Yuste and Xavi’s staff.

“The president of FC Barcelona, Joan Laporta, has informed Xavi Hernandez that he will not continue as coach of the first team in the 2024-25 season,” a statement said. “The meeting took place at the Joan Gamper training complex, with the presence of sporting vice-president Rafa Yuste, the sporting director Anderson Luis de Souza, Deco, Xavi and his assistants Oscar Hernández and Sergio Alegre.

“Barcelona wish to thank Xavi for his work as coach, which is added to his unequalled career as a player and captain, and wish him all the luck in the world. He will take charge of his last game as first team coach this Sunday in Seville. In the coming days, Barcelona will communicate the new structure of the first team.”

Xavi had publicly said he had every intention of continuing. He had resigned on 27 January and performed a U-turn on 24 April after being convinced to stay.

Despite reports last week that Laporta had decided to sack him, and the president’s refusal to meet with him, Xavi insisted “nothing had changed”.

During a week of intense speculation and repeated leaks, some of them strategic, there had been silence from Laporta and Deco, publicly and privately.

Xavi has always said that money would not be a problem and that he would walk away when his time at the club comes to an end. The terms of his contract mean his sacking could cost Barcelona about €20m (£17m).

Xavi described the Barcelona manager’s job as “cruel and unpleasant” when he resigned in January, at a time when results were poor and the prospect of being sacked was increasingly real. He said he would continue to the end of the season, a formula that Laporta said he accepted “because it’s Xavi proposing it and he’s a Barcelona legend”, but that the decision was irreversible, even if they won the Champions League.

But as Barcelona’s results improved and as they struggled to secure a replacement, the president, vice-president and sporting director publicly said they would try to convince Xavi to stay. The coach’s message, although evasive, became increasingly receptive to doing so. On 24 April, they announced that he was continuing at least until 2025 after a meeting at the club’s training ground and then at Laporta’s home, with the media camped outside, the whole thing played out in public.

At an emotional, celebratory press conference the following morning, Laporta said that all that had been needed was for the two men to look each other in the eye and that it had taken only three minutes. “I was always clear that I wanted Xavi to continue,” he said. “Stability is very important for success.” Exactly a month later, Laporta informed Xavi that he had been sacked.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/24/barcelona-hansi-flick-coach-xavi
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7891 on: May 24, 2024, 02:14:54 pm »
They are so badly run. Lewandowski's contract has his salary bumped to 600k p/w for next season apparently.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7892 on: May 24, 2024, 02:27:42 pm »
They are so badly run. Lewandowski's contract has his salary bumped to 600k p/w for next season apparently.
He was their top-scorer and the only player to get into double figures in the league (with 18, the next highest scored 7).  He's clearly not worth £600k/week but I doubt they're in a financial position to buy another 25 goal a season striker.

Pulling all those levers allowed them to cobble together a half decent team - supplemented by academy players like Balde, Cubarsí, Gavi, Pedri and Yamal - but they're still in a real mess.  If Flick gets them within 10 points of Real next season it would be an amazing achievement.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7893 on: May 24, 2024, 04:07:50 pm »
Real Madrid are forecast to be the first football club to have a revenue above the €1 billion threshold. The club is forecast to generate approx. €1.05 billion in 2024/2025.

That's an insane amount of money.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 04:18:48 pm by In the Name of Klopp »
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7894 on: May 24, 2024, 06:00:15 pm »
Final day looks exciting in La Liga.

Real Marid have won the league; Barcelona secured 2nd, Girona secured 3rd, Atletico 4th for the CL places. Bilbao have secured 5th, Sociedad secured 6th for the Europa League places and Real Betis have secured 7th for the Conference League. The 3 relegated teams have already been confirmed.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7895 on: May 24, 2024, 06:07:40 pm »

Barca have always been terribly run. A terrible advert for a democratic member/supporter run football club.

Got lucky with Messi and probably the best set of youth players to come through at a similar time (Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Alba, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Messi was almost their full team).

Even in the Messi years, their most successful era, they were in a financial shambles and constant shenanigans over their presidency. They've had some truly awful presidents.

Messi's contract did get out of control but they get rid of him and replace him with another mid 30s player also on a ridiculous wage when they've got to stay within a salary cap.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7896 on: May 25, 2024, 11:55:08 am »
The thing is why would any manager with any self-respect go to Barcelona with the way they are run? I am surprised at Flick to be honest, I would have thought he'd have had more common sense.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #7897 on: May 25, 2024, 12:43:40 pm »
The problem with the Barcelona ownership model is that candidates for presidency need to pander to the fans. The easiest way to do that is buying big name players. A candidate wouldn’t win if they said we are going to build over 3 years, buy young promising players and grow the team that way by being more prudent and smart in the transfer market.

The clamour for signings is at every club. I just think it’s pandered to more at Barcelona.

In saying all that I’d like Liverpool to be fan owned.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7898 on: May 28, 2024, 01:18:16 pm »
Outgoing Barcelona boss Xavi says his successor will "suffer" in the role.

The Spaniard, 44, was sacked before taking charge of their final game of the season - a 2-1 win over Sevilla.

Former Germany and Bayern Munich boss Hansi Flick is set to replace him.

Xavi, who was under contract until 2025, said he was going to leave the club in January but performed a U-turn, announcing he was staying on at Camp Nou in April.

He said: "To the new manager, I tell you: 'You will suffer'. This is a very complicated place to be. This is a difficult job and you have to be patient."
I guess there's a bit of bitterness there but I think he'll almost certainly be proven right.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7899 on: May 28, 2024, 03:57:04 pm »
Good news for plucky little Girona. I would have thought that Ryanair or Jet2 would be the only airline company willing to sponsor them considering they're the only ones to fly into Girona, but boom, up comes Etihad with the goods. Fair play to their commercial department, pulled off a blinder here.

Etihad Airways, new main sponsor for the next three seasons
Etihad Airways will become the main sponsor of Girona FC from next season. This strategic alliance, which has been established for a period of three years, underscores Etihad's deep commitment to the Spanish market and its dedication to enhancing connectivity and cultural exchange.

Etihad has grown its Spanish operation by nearly 50% since last summer as 2024 sees the airline operate 10 weekly flights to both Madrid and Barcelona. In addition, the airline is excited to introduce seasonal flights, operating three times a week to Málaga starting in June 2024, further enhancing travel and tourism between the regions.

This partnership represents a shared commitment to excellence, community, and the power of connecting people and cultures. Girona FC, with its rich history and passionate fan base, aligns perfectly with Etihad's values of giving flight to ambition and striving for the highest standards in all its endeavours.

"We are thrilled to partner with Girona FC, a club that resonates with our brand values and aspirations. This sponsorship is a testament to our dedication to the Spanish and Catalan market and our aim to strengthen the bonds between the UAE and Spain," said Arik De, Chief Revenue and Commercial Officer of Etihad Airways. “Etihad Airways looks forward to a successful partnership with Girona and to bringing our worlds closer together through the beautiful game.”

Delfí Geli, President of Girona FC, added: "We are incredibly proud to welcome Etihad Airways as our main sponsor. This partnership extends beyond the traditional, embracing a future where we can grow together in strength and spirit. Etihad's global perspective and commitment to excellence reflect our own aspirations on and off the pitch".

The collaboration between Etihad Airways and Girona FC is more than a sponsorship—it is a mutual commitment to foster community spirit and bring people together, enhancing the fan experience and providing more opportunities to engage with sport and globally.

As main sponsor, Etihad Airways will feature prominently on Girona FC’s team kits from the coming season and within the club's home ground. The partnership will also offer exciting new opportunities for fans, including unique promotions and special events, designed to celebrate this union of cultures and passions.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7900 on: May 28, 2024, 07:54:48 pm »
Bellingham, La Liga Player of the Year. What an achievement by the 20-year-old Englishman. He's the first ever to win the honour.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: May 28, 2024, 08:54:46 pm »
What's the chances ADUG are prepping Girona to take over from Cheats115 as their flagship club when that house of cards comes tumbling down?
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7902 on: May 28, 2024, 08:57:16 pm »
Good news for plucky little Girona. I would have thought that Ryanair or Jet2 would be the only airline company willing to sponsor them considering they're the only ones to fly into Girona, but boom, up comes Etihad with the goods. Fair play to their commercial department, pulled off a blinder here.

Etihad Airways, new main sponsor for the next three seasons

Delfí Geli, President of Girona FC

Delfi Geli. There's a name I've not heard in a while. What a legend  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7903 on: May 30, 2024, 11:32:13 pm »
Gerard Piqué under investigation over Saudi Super Cup deal
ByREUTERS
May 31, 2024, 4:49 AM
A Spanish judge has placed former Barcelona player Gerard Piqué under official investigation for his alleged involvement in illegal payments in the relocation of Spain's Super Cup to Saudi Arabia.

Judge Delia Rodrigo concluded there were indications of wrongdoing in the deal between Piqué's company Kosmos and the Spanish football federation (RFEF), according to a court document.

According to the court documents, former RFEF president Luis Rubiales, Saudi government-owned Sela Sport Company and Piqué signed an agreement in 2019 in which Piqué's company would receive €40 million as a "success bonus" for the games being held in Saudi Arabia each year.

"The facts under investigation in the present proceedings originate from possible illegalities with criminal implications in contracting or agreements," Rodrigo wrote.

Piqué did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The court has been investigating since June 2022 whether Rubiales committed a crime of improper management when the RFEF agreed with Piqué's Kosmos firm to move the tournament.

In March,  police searched the RFEF's headquarters and an apartment belonging to Rubiales and arrested seven people in a corruption probe over the multimillion-euro deal.

Rubiales, who has denied any wrongdoing, was told he was a suspect in the probe by police in April after returning from spending two months in the Dominican Republic on what he described as a business trip.

Piqué, who played for Barcelona in Super Cup matches in Saudi Arabia, was originally awarded an annual payment of $4 million ($4.33 million) over six years. This was later extended by four years.

Pedro Rocha, who at the time was head of the RFEF's economic department, failed to call a meeting of the economic commission as he should have done to analyse the four-year extension of the deal.

Rocha was elected president of the RFEF last month despite being put under investigation after testifying as a witness in court and saying he had no knowledge of or responsibility for any of the alleged crimes being investigated in the case.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gerard-piqu-investigation-saudi-super-cup-deal/story?id=110688282

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #7904 on: May 31, 2024, 02:47:10 am »
Well I am shocked. A deal involving Saudi Arabia and Pique is surely as clean as they come!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7905 on: May 31, 2024, 10:00:48 pm »
Well I am shocked. A deal involving Saudi Arabia and Pique is surely as clean as they come!

This man fumbled Shakira. Clearly not a clever person.