Author Topic: 2017/18 League Cup  (Read 14123 times)

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
Re: 2017/18 League Cup
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2017, 04:44:54 pm »
It's perhaps a bit early to speculate in starting lineup, but we'll be playing twice a week throughout September and October (excluding the International break). I think playing mostly kids and fringe players is a very likely scenario. Give Karius/Ward a chance, two out of Solanke/Origi/Sturridge up front, Grujic and Milner in midfield, Klavan and Gomez at center back. Fill the rest with whoever needs to build match fitness (Coutinho? Clyne? Robertson?) and one or two kids (Trent/Ejaria/Woodburn/Kent).

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »
Chelsea get an easy home fixture against a team not in the Premier League? Damn thats a first..

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2017, 04:58:03 pm »
Chelsea get an easy home fixture against a team not in the Premier League? Damn thats a first..

So did Man United, Arsenal and Spurs, not that a smaller club is "easy" in the cups just because they're smaller.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »
Horrible draw. Leicester have no UEFA competition and they will be under pressure to bring in silverware this season. They will put out their first team. We won't be able to.

I think we just need to write this one off and send the youngsters out to get the experience so they have some game time in case we need them later on in the season. Would have been great if we had a couple of lower league sides in the first couple of rounds to give the fringe players experience and then met the big boys but alas we picked the short straw.

The good news is we have a great group in the CL, we could give the youngsters opportunities in the CL if we can qualify with 2 or 3 games to spare. And of course, the FA cup is not too far away so hopefully we will get a really good run of lower league sides.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 06:09:31 pm »
Be better off going out of it. We haven't got the squad to compete on 4 fronts. Send the kids out, if we win then great for them, but rest the first XI.

Two League Cup semis in January after a ridiculous Christmas schedule we could do without. Especially if we end up with United or someone.

If we lose to Leicester it frees up 6 midweeks.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »
Maybe for another thread but surely it's time to revamp this club!   Include the Scottish teams in it and make it a Uk cup?

Yeah longer discussion but that will never happen as the Scots would lose out on a place in Europe and the concern on the party of the SFA would be it being a precursor to a breakaway of some sort.

I think to revamp it we need to throw money at it. Same with the FA Cup, to ensure it doesn't lose its prestige any further there should be a massive increase in prize money for the winners. Say a cool 30m to the winners and to help fund this play the final in Asia - the Asia Cup is a success and that was only a preseason tournament.

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:48 am »
Again, I repeat my hope that we jib off this stupid competition that is way more hassle than it's worth, especially given the ridiculous fixture list in November and December.  Rest is way way more important.

Play the U23s. Put some U18's on the bench. Give Danny Ings a game to check if one of his knees falls off. Everybody else takes the night off. Rinse and repeat for every other game in this pointless thing.
I bet you've been against this competition ever since Ronnie Whelan took Ray Kennedy's place in the team and went on to be the star of two finals. ;)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 02:18:22 am »
It is going to be near impossible for us to field our strongest line up in this competition. We don't have a squad big enough for this. Perfect opportunity for the younger lads.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2017, 02:34:16 am »
           Karius

TAA-Gomez-Klavan-Robertson

Coutinho-Grujic-Can

Sturridge
      Origi - Solanke

Should be enough to get the job done, I reckon.

Alternatively Woodburn can play behind two of Sturridge + another.;
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:38:31 am by Redcap »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2017, 03:12:12 am »
           Karius

TAA-Gomez-Klavan-Robertson

Coutinho-Grujic-Can

Sturridge
      Origi - Solanke

Should be enough to get the job done, I reckon.

Alternatively Woodburn can play behind two of Sturridge + another.;

Coutinho and can won't be playing, not when we have Leicester in the league that same weekend and then the CL match in midweek right after.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:02 am »
Thats not a great draw for us. Funnily enough though, now we play them twice at their home within 4 days.

I'd love to see the League Cup run being made mostly by the kids. See the likes of Kent, Solanke, Origi, Grujic, Gomez, Ward etc. start a game.

We play 6 games within 18 days from 9-Sept to 26-Sept so we'll get a taste of how much real depth we have early in the season.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:19 am »
Coutinho and can won't be playing, not when we have Leicester in the league that same weekend and then the CL match in midweek right after.

I'd be surprised if one of Henderson/Can at least wasn't playing. I see Can as being the primary backup to Henderson in the deep midfield role, so one of them will play.

Coutinho I'm not sure about. Maybe Ejaria instead?

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:52 am »
The above got me thinking a bit though. If we stay in the league cup, we'll be playing in every single midweek until 16th December.  :o :o

Check this out -

12 Aug - 27 Aug = 5 games in 16 days

----International Break----

9 Sept - 1 Oct = 7 games in 23 days

14 Oct - 4 Nov = 7 games in 22 days

18 Nov - 16 Dec = 9 games in 29 days

I really hope some of our youngsters are up for it, cause given the current state of the squad, they'll definitely get a go.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:23 pm »

Craig Pawson will ref the League Cup Final... with VAR...

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/february/match-officials-confirmed-for-carabao-cup-final/

:o

Craig meet VAR - VAR meet Craig...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:32:58 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576