Author Topic: Supporters to visit rail seating at Celtic  (Read 18541 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Supporters to visit rail seating at Celtic
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2018, 04:39:34 pm »
I am not a supporter of returning to standing, I feel that there is a vocal minority demanding its re introduction. I fail to see how it is safer now than it was then.
I saw a lot of injuries in the sixties and seventies caused by overcrowding on the kop. I "shared" a seat with a fan at Old Trafford, who had blagged his way in when we played Chelsea in the FA cup final there. And yes, I do on occasion stand when a goal is scored, but I know I can see all of the game confident that no one who barges in late will plonk himself in front of me.
Can rail standing address this?

This is rail standing -

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2018, 04:44:24 pm »
And its one person per "seat".

So a row of 25 "seats" will only have 25 people - not 30/40/50 or however many can cram in
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2018, 04:46:19 pm »
And its one person per "seat".

So a row of 25 "seats" will only have 25 people - not 30/40/50 or however many can cram in

That's not technically true. It's possible each seat will have up to two standing space in front of it (one on either step).

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2018, 05:07:16 pm »
This is rail standing -

I have seen the pictures and looked at the proposals, maybe its the memories of years gone by, but what sizes are the sections quoted? 5000,10000?

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2018, 08:42:50 am »
I have seen the pictures and looked at the proposals, maybe its the memories of years gone by, but what sizes are the sections quoted? 5000,10000?

With all due respect mate, that's exactly what's driving your opinion, memories of something different.

Safe standing is safe, it's 25 seats where you can stand in your allocated zone. Yes there'll be a few people bobbing in with their mates and squeezing in, but that happens now in the Kop anyway, me and my mate have shared a seat a few times where only one of us have got into the 300s.

Everyone will have a ticket, everyone will have a stand, there's no way there could be overcrowding.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2018, 08:49:35 am »
And even if it did become over crowded, with the design how it is the most you'll have pushing on the person in front is one row behind. There is simply not enough room for 2 or 3 rows of people behind the one at the front. A crush could not happen.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2018, 03:35:31 pm »
That's not technically true. It's possible each seat will have up to two standing space in front of it (one on either step).
It depends on what rule a club decides. At Celtic it is one person per 'seat'/standing place........and this is policed both by stewards and 'self-policed' by supporters - and only enough tickets for that section based on that policy are issued. I saw it myself when I visited Celtic with SOS earlier this year. I was one of those sceptical about 'returning' to standing, but have changed my mind having experienced rail-seating for myself. The fact is rail-seating is safer than standing in a seated area, which happens regularly at away games and often at home games. You have a rail in front of you and when 1:1 is utilised it is safe.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2018, 03:39:03 pm »
It depends on what rule a club decides.

Hence me saying "possible" and "up to"  ;D

You have a rail in front of you and when 1:1 is utilised it is safe.

It's also safe when 1:2 is used too, as has been shown in Germany for years now.

If the rule is set at 1:1 then I doubt you'll see many clubs take it up.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2018, 07:01:07 pm »

If the rule is set at 1:1 then I doubt you'll see many clubs take it up.
Maybe.......but that's what it is at Celtic - and the standing section there has improved the atmosphere.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:47 pm »
Maybe.......but that's what it is at Celtic - and the standing section there has improved the atmosphere.

Clubs simply won't go to the expense of changing to safe standing, and then selling standing tickets at reduced prices, when they can stick with the seats at the current prices.

It would need to, eventually, be over 1:1 to make sense for it to be done.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
Clubs simply won't go to the expense of changing to safe standing, and then selling standing tickets at reduced prices, when they can stick with the seats at the current prices.

It would need to, eventually, be over 1:1 to make sense for it to be done.

I agree

Interesting for us as timing may mean we could incorporate into the anfield road end design I guess?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
I agree

Interesting for us as timing may mean we could incorporate into the anfield road end design I guess?

I doubt we'll be making any plans for the Anny Rd with standing in mind. It's still a while off (even at best it's probably 3 years off being allowed) and then as a club I expect we won't be an early adopter and when we do it will no doubt be on the Kop.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:51 pm »
For the Roma CL semi the whole of the Kop was standing as was the whole of the Road End and the whole of the Kemlyn / Lower Centenery / Lower Kenny.  People want to stand, people will stand and they need to stand in the safest way possible.   Rail seating is light years ahead of the present arrangements, bring it on, the sooner the better.

We are Loyal Supporters

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2018, 07:31:29 am »
Safe standing wouldn't be allowed for CL games.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2018, 03:07:39 pm »
Spurs:

"The club has put itself at the forefront of this debate with a unique design for its new stadium that offers optionality and flexibility," said the club in a statement on their website.

"Although ‘rail seating’ is used extensively in Germany and at Celtic Park in Scotland, the club has created a different, improved design that doesn’t compromise comfort."

The club is proposing a purpose-designed ‘safe seating’ concept whereby safety and spectator comfort are given equal precedence, using the same moulded seats as in the rest of the general admission areas.

"These seats provide the same comfort and leg room as in all other areas of the stadium, with an ergonomically profiled bar set at 900mm for clear sightlines.

"The seat in its folded position is slim, allowing the stepping clearway to be maximised, with a purpose-designed lock to ensure the seat can be stowed when required."

Spurs say they have contacted season ticket holders and informed them of the potential that the area in which they have bought their ticket could become a safe standing area in future.

The club's executive director Donna-Maria Cullen said: “As a club, we did not engage on this until the Hillsborough Inquiry was concluded, which showed that the tragedy in April 1989 had not been caused by standing.

“We then conducted research with our fan base which showed overwhelming support for safe standing. The main reasons given were choice and atmosphere - fans cannot sing sitting down.

“So, at our new stadium, we have designed a section within the home area and within the away section that has an integrated safety bar with the normal seating. Fans have bought season tickets for the home area in the knowledge that, should the law change, this would be our standing area - it was one of the first areas to sell out.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenhams-new-stadium-include-areas-12788011
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2018, 03:35:45 pm »
Someone further up quoted 25 to 50 seats, allowing 2 per position, can 100 people affect the atmosphere that much?

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:05 pm »
Good on Spurs to incorporate safe standing, looking forward to it happening. Think that'll be the thing that brings me back to the ground, being able to stand.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
Transcript of government debate

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-06-25/debates/8A09C8B2-14D5-4E2D-8F3E-1D7FF3838818/FootballSafeStanding

Essentially ends in more info gathering- come back to discuss later in year