Author Topic: Henry Blofeld  (Read 1854 times)

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Henry Blofeld
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:36:51 am »
Maybe It's just an age thing but as a cricket lover but I'm really going to miss his dulcit tones and humour next year.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Henry Blofeld
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:16:40 am »
As am I,I prefer to listen to him than watch the match.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:35:10 am »
Does he still have that white cat?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:09:02 am »
Really hoping he comes back for just a day one more time next year or two after the test v the Windies at Lords. Just to hear what he's been up to really. Retirement was coming, and it's a sad day. He's been winding down slowly, so I will cherish this summer - very grateful to be able to do that- the last test will be all about Blofeld for me. Trueman, Peter West, Tony Lewis, Johnson, CMJ, Blowers et al (I was too young for Arlott 'live' really - tho I remember him leaving).. and Boycott, Marks, Agnew to follow - not to mention ALL the touring commentators... but TMS is in some good hands - it's still your desert island choice, and always will be.

Hope he has a great and wonderful retirement.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 05:24:02 am »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:06:37 am »
Does he still have that white cat?
Henry Blofeld's dad was at Eton with Ian Fleming and that's where Fleming got the name from for that character

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2017, 06:27:50 pm »
Henry Blofeld's dad was at Eton with Ian Fleming and that's where Fleming got the name from for that character

Great story. Just heard it now on London tonight

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 4, 2017, 08:44:03 am »
desert island

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009375w

I will miss listening to Blowers on the radio. He has been part of my summer for as long as I can remember. I am sure he's brought joy to millions over many years and will be sorely missed when he signs off from TMS. Probably the last of his breed we will hear on TMS.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: July 4, 2017, 11:01:58 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009375w

I will miss listening to Blowers on the radio. He has been part of my summer for as long as I can remember. I am sure he's brought joy to millions over many years and will be sorely missed when he signs off from TMS. Probably the last of his breed we will hear on TMS.

My dear old thing you're absolutely right. Hadn't thought of it like that before but you're right, ever since I've been listening to TMS he's been a feature. Even back in the mid 80s he seemed old and eccentric.

Saw him in a pub in Chiswick a year or two ago. My mate was wondering whether to bother him for a photo when another group beat him to it. He posed for it by didn't look too enamoured to be interrupted so we left him in peace!

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 4, 2017, 12:59:48 pm »
Saw him in a pub in Chiswick a year or two ago. My mate was wondering whether to bother him for a photo when another group beat him to it. He posed for it by didn't look too enamoured to be interrupted so we left him in peace!

I think you were right to, Nick. I remember an interview (possibly in the Desert Island Discs thing) where he said the thing he hated most about being on tour was the communal dining rooms in hotels where everyone would congregate at breakfast and bombard him with questions whilst he was trying to have his breakfast.

In terms of TMS and its future I am not convinced it is in good hands as an earlier poster said. This may be a personal thing but I cannot stand the likes of Vaughan, Swann, Alec Stewart, Daniel Norcross or Ebony Rainford-Brent. Tuffers is a good laugh but rarely offers any meaningful insight. I understand what they are doing in terms of dragging it into the 21st century with twitter, more female presenters etc but for me its losing its quirky charm and I find myself listening less and less especially when certain commentators/summarisers have the mic.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #10 on: July 4, 2017, 01:05:48 pm »
I think you were right to, Nick. I remember an interview (possibly in the Desert Island Discs thing) where he said the thing he hated most about being on tour was the communal dining rooms in hotels where everyone would congregate at breakfast and bombard him with questions whilst he was trying to have his breakfast.

In terms of TMS and its future I am not convinced it is in good hands as an earlier poster said. This may be a personal thing but I cannot stand the likes of Vaughan, Swann, Alec Stewart, Daniel Norcross or Ebony Rainford-Brent. Tuffers is a good laugh but rarely offers any meaningful insight. I understand what they are doing in terms of dragging it into the 21st century with twitter, more female presenters etc but for me its losing its quirky charm and I find myself listening less and less especially when certain commentators/summarisers have the mic.

Room 101, he put ready mixed mustard in.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 4, 2017, 01:16:03 pm »
Room 101, he put ready mixed mustard in.

That's the one. Cheers.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: July 4, 2017, 01:37:18 pm »
Who's Daniel Norcross? Agree with you on the rest, don't mind Ebony though. Think Charles Dagnall has the right mix of quirkiness and knowledge.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 4, 2017, 01:56:05 pm »
Who's Daniel Norcross?

Sort of posh guy. He is new. He may only do the limited overs stuff, not sure.

I agree Dagnall is alright.

I hope they have Andrew Samson back as scorer for the tests.  Andy Zaltzman tries to hard to be funny and come up with stats no one gives a shit about.