Author Topic: Spartacus: Blood and Sand  (Read 37219 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »
I'm actually gutted that tonight will be the last episode of Spartacus. Loved the house of Batiatus episodes, By far my favourites.  :'(

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:39 am »
Very good ending and I think it was appropriate for the main characters. All in all, a very well done series, that stayed true to its cause and what the fans wanted. Blood, sex, violence and revenge.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »
Fantastic last episode, Loved every minute of it. 

Spoiler
That last battle seemed to go on forever! Gutted he never got to kill Crassus, so close a number of times. It was obviously never going to happen but I really wanted someone to kill Caesar. Fitting way to go out I suppose they were so out numbered it was ridicules.

Nice tribute at the end too. Overall I really enjoyed every season of this, some more than others. Think the 1st season was my favourite.
[close]

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2013, 03:20:54 am »

Spoiler
That last battle seemed to go on forever! Gutted he never got to kill Crassus, so close a number of times. It was obviously never going to happen but I really wanted someone to kill Caesar. Fitting way to go out I suppose they were so out numbered it was ridicules.

Nice tribute at the end too. Overall I really enjoyed every season of this, some more than others. Think the 1st season was my favourite.
[close]

Agree with everything you say about the ending, did it justice.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2013, 07:02:24 am »

Spoiler

[close]

I concur.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
 What they did in the end with the credits, was a really moving touch.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »
Very good, going to miss the show
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
Bombed through half of Vengeance so far and feel it was a little flat compared to S1 and the Prequel. I still enjoyed it, but can't help feeling it was derailed by the (necessary) recasting of Spartacus and Naevia. I know it takes time to get use to new faces portraying familiar characters, but the new guy is a hell of a lot blander and black and white than Andy Whitfield's portrayal. Hopefully Vengeance will pick up soon, I may end up changing my mind.

Yeah takes time. But he is actually very good
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2013, 08:06:51 pm »
Very good, going to miss the show
Your online so you get to answer this for me. ;D

I haven't seen this since the first series,what are series in chronological order?
Ta,Dave.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2013, 11:41:53 am »
Dave, here is the order they were broadcasted and you should watch them that way too

Seadon 1: Blood and Sand

Gods of the Arena: It's the prequel of season 1 basically but there is a reason they showed it after season 1. Character introduction for example.

Season 2: Vengeance

season 3: War of the Damned

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2013, 03:55:45 pm »
I think Spartacus is near unique in managing to interweave some genuinely excellent writing into the same 2 minutes as some absolutely god-awful examples of writing.  ;D I don't know if it's fleeting genius or an assembled effort, but not many shows have so many good lines and so many terrible ones. The acting improves throughout the first season, where to begin with, Batiatus and Lucretia were really holding things together.
Manu Bennett as Crixus was deliciously hammy to begin with, but as it approached the story's nadir with Naevia, his performance was genuinely excellent, the lingering touch post-flogging being the stand out.
I'm on Vengeance at the moment and whilst I'm enjoying it, I'm understandably missing Good Ol' Quintus. As I've already posted, the new Spartacus is taking some getting used to. I feel there's less of a selfish edge to him that Andy Whitfield was able to portray. A damn shame about Andy, I really liked him in the lead role: 'She was the sun. Never to rise again.'
I think those dismissing this as just satisfying shlock are under-rating it a bit. Season 1's first half could definitely be compared to an all out unhealthy binge-fest, but it grew in quality towards the finale and Gods of the Arena was very good. There's no point in pretending that this has any business being compared to the heavy-hitters, but it's undeniably good TV that's a whole lot easier to watch than the aforementioned and doesn't require the same level of concentration or dissection. Love it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »
Fucking hell, I'm going to miss this show

What a superb final episode

All 4 series on BluRay for Christmas please!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
Dave, here is the order they were broadcasted and you should watch them that way too

Seadon 1: Blood and Sand

Gods of the Arena: It's the prequel of season 1 basically but there is a reason they showed it after season 1. Character introduction for example.

Season 2: Vengeance

season 3: War of the Damned
Thank's mate.I'm enjoying this again.

Fucking hell, I'm going to miss this show

What a superb final episode

All 4 series on BluRay for Christmas please!
Is that it Z,4 and done?

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2013, 07:34:38 pm »
Who knows!  (although it's 5 including the prequel series)

Sorry Dave, didn't know you'd not watched it.  I should have spoiler'd it.  You need to watch it Dave, it's an absolute classic show - ok not in Sporanos, Wire, X-Files but it stands there on its own (a bit like American Horror Story that's been on FX)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2013, 07:41:01 pm »
Who knows!  (although it's 5 including the prequel series)

Sorry Dave, didn't know you'd not watched it.  I should have spoiler'd it.  You need to watch it Dave, it's an absolute classic show - ok not in Sporanos, Wire, X-Files but it stands there on its own (a bit like American Horror Story that's been on FX)
I watched the first when it was out but I didn't catch up with the rest till last Sunday when  dled the lot.It's even better than I remembered.That's ok Z there's no plot giveaways.I'm finishing Vengeance tonight,then starting on Damned,another late night for me. ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2013, 09:58:39 am »
I think Spartacus is near unique in managing to interweave some genuinely excellent writing into the same 2 minutes as some absolutely god-awful examples of writing.  ;D I don't know if it's fleeting genius or an assembled effort, but not many shows have so many good lines and so many terrible ones. The acting improves throughout the first season, where to begin with, Batiatus and Lucretia were really holding things together.
Manu Bennett as Crixus was deliciously hammy to begin with, but as it approached the story's nadir with Naevia, his performance was genuinely excellent, the lingering touch post-flogging being the stand out.
I'm on Vengeance at the moment and whilst I'm enjoying it, I'm understandably missing Good Ol' Quintus. As I've already posted, the new Spartacus is taking some getting used to. I feel there's less of a selfish edge to him that Andy Whitfield was able to portray. A damn shame about Andy, I really liked him in the lead role: 'She was the sun. Never to rise again.'
I think those dismissing this as just satisfying shlock are under-rating it a bit. Season 1's first half could definitely be compared to an all out unhealthy binge-fest, but it grew in quality towards the finale and Gods of the Arena was very good. There's no point in pretending that this has any business being compared to the heavy-hitters, but it's undeniably good TV that's a whole lot easier to watch than the aforementioned and doesn't require the same level of concentration or dissection. Love it.

Vengeance was by far the worst out of the 4 seasons. First of all, the necessary change of the actor and then the writing. Believe me when I say, it gets much better in the next and final season. When I first saw the new Spartacus guy acting, I said "wow this guy can't act to save his life". There is much and noticeable difference between him and the late Andy Whitfield. To be fair though, he gets much better in the last season and more accustomed to his role.

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »
I wish I could find it, but I read somewhere that the series producers want to make more, based around the life of Caesar and Crassus (two huge figures in the remaining days of the Republic), using the same approach.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this last series, the acting was pretty good on the whole and outstanding in parts.  Choreography on some of the fights was pretty impressive, although I very much doubt any Roman legion would break ranks and immediately enter hand-to-hand close combat!
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »
I wish I could find it, but I read somewhere that the series producers want to make more, based around the life of Caesar and Crassus (two huge figures in the remaining days of the Republic), using the same approach.

I think they'd be moving dangerously close to the series 'Rome' if they went that way. It may at the very least start to look like a prequel to 'Rome'. Both shows focus on political intrigue, gratuitous violence, and ample helpings of nakedness and sex.

I'd give it a go but to be honest it is going to be very difficult to root for either Caesar or Crassus and i think in a show of that nature you need to be able to root for someone. to be honest by the end of War of The Damned Crassus was beginning to annoy me anyway.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »
Yeah I see it that way as well - who the fuck roots for Rome of that era? Of course if they did run with it, they'd add in opposition characters/storylines to try and evoke such feelings but ultimately if you revolve a story around those two fuckers it's gonna grate on me big time, is all i know.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:55 pm »
Really enjoyed it. Kept me in suspense all the way through, even though my meagre knowledge of the period gave me a little inkling as to how it'd all go down. Decent ending and a good finale. They obviously couldn't give us full satisfaction due to it attempting to be relatively accurate.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2013, 11:44:15 am »
Caesar going off to conquor Gaul and invade Britania and fight battles across the border with Germania; all good stuff!  Some really good historical characters on the 'opposite' side you could root for; Vercingetorix (sp?) is still a hero in France, then there's the wars in the east too, hugely 'entertaining' period in history pre-Empire.

Caesar has been portrayed as an unlikeable character in Spartacus but he's still very young (and I'm not sure he even fought in that war).  Even Batiatus became, if not likeable, more understood in the prequel.  Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Rome is a good (if very long) read covering tha period.
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »
Part of me still thinks it would have been better if they'd gone the Tarantino route and basically have Spartacus destroy Crassus and his army, sack Rome and live happily ever after.

The end credits, instead of shouting "I am Spartacus", he could have been standing at the gates of Rome shouting "FUCK HISTORY" :)

Christ, Mel Gibson did it in Braveheart ;)

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2013, 07:18:10 pm »
Had mixed feelings about the finale

thoughts on finale
Felt bit too... saccharine or heroic flag waving lines in the opening, trying too hard perhaps. Once the meeting between Crassus and Spartacus started, it began feeling more natural when characters talked, preparing for the coming end. That was a great meeting and the battle scenes were pretty good, I liked most of the deaths in the field. I loved the way they ended Gannicus and the heartbreak over Kore. The end of Spartacus himself? It was extremely well done, loved the reference to Spartacus not being his real name, but I would have preferred it not to have that "happy ending" where some survive and he gets to know it before dying, was hoping we would see the fleeing rebels all massacred (and see the deaths). Excellent credits
[close]

A good season overall. Started well, perhaps a bit of a wobble in the middle, but built momentum and had strong ending episodes.  Probably the least entertaining, for good reason, set of Romans but unlike Vengeance, the tensions and the characters in team Spartacus clicked. Not the best in terms of female characters or romance though, battles were a bit and miss but when it mattered, they were a hit for me. For the first time, I actually liked Spartacus himself, don't know if I'm weird for that,

season overall
-Liam McIntyre perhaps came short in one or two "great leader moments" but I thought he did a good job this series, particularly in intimate conversations.

-Team Rome: Crassus was a wily intelligent villain with a strong romance but lacked flair as a character, he didn't quite entertain me in the way the previous villains did. Was initially highly sceptical at the use of Ceaser but they wove him in well, his intelligent but youth hot-head way and charisma, nicely balanced by the anger and general gitness of Tiberius. Didn't think the Ceaser vs Gannicus rivalry ever really got going. Their plotting was intresting to watch but still felt that, in comparison to the past, the Romans were more stable as a unit. Not a criticism, they needed to be united and powerful to match their foes, just a necessary sacrifice made them a little less entertaining then the previous seasons. Kore was a nice girl and I enjoyed the romance, the way it all soured and it led to quite a powerful ending.

-Team Spartacus was far better then in Vengeance. Last time the internal strife, anger and disagreements never really clicked, this time the tension was palpable. The psychotic Naevia (who I hated till after Crixus death this time) misleading the hot-headed Crixus, the frustration of the weary but charming Gannicus who could see the hypocrisy, the jealously of Agron. Their ill-treatment of the Romans, their worst sides coming out in the city then the desperation during the harder times, was intresting to watch. The pirates were fun while they lasted. I enjoyed the final stand of Crixus, how defeat was snatched from victory.

-Romances were, for once, not a strongpoint and the season lacked ladies that could dominate the screen or perhaps even just shone. Kore was very nice and her storyline well done but others?  Naevia was pretty good but only near the end did her love for Crixus shine, the romance between Agron and Nasir lost a little something due to the jealousy though it had it's moments.  LaetaxSparatcus was clearly going to happen but, despite being a fairly nice lady, it wasn't a particularly intresting romance. It was better when they opposed each other even though future romance was waving it's red flag. Sibyl seemed a nice girl but wasn't explored enough, I liked it when she was shy and puppy-dog towards Gannicus but it didn't really click when they got together. I have enjoyed Saxa in the two series, her devil-may-care attitude, willingness to have fun in life and her savagery in battle was a nice relief from the more serious stuff. A pity she was usually just there rather then properly developed. Her relationship with Gannicus reflected her attitude and was fun, again a nice contrast to the seriousness going on around them, until she gets dumped. It was a bit of a pity she then suddenly takes the relationship seriously but it makes for a great ending moment between the two.
[close]

The show overall? I probably won't remember it in five years but would watch a spin-off. Came a long long way from those awful first episodes and, perhaps nostalgia speaking, for me the best of it was in the erratic but spectacular first season. They got consistency in later seasons and they were still fun, I have enjoyed myself for the most part. Glad it was able to bow out the way it did.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:21:09 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2013, 11:09:05 pm »
Naevia post S1 was just shit I think. She really didn't work for me as a gladiatrix. I'm not opposed to having women characters fight (the German was very good, and pleasing on the eye) but she just pissed me off, as much through poor acting as general myopia in her interactions with others. Didn't work I fear.

The new Spartacus grew on me, but I never really gelled with him as much as Andy Whitfield. I felt he lacked the same selfish edge and Gravitas. Whenever they layered some Whitfield audio over the episode in reference to past event, I always thought 'Fuck Yeah, That's Spartacus.' Nice little tribute to him at the end.

Offline Lee J

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2013, 09:45:07 am »
Crassus a villain?  One of the most famous and richest men in Roman history and without whom Ceasar would have been nothing and we would never have had the 'Rome' series.  Cause and effect; Crassus is a hero  ;)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:54 am »
Naevia post S1 was just shit I think. She really didn't work for me as a gladiatrix. I'm not opposed to having women characters fight (the German was very good, and pleasing on the eye) but she just pissed me off, as much through poor acting as general myopia in her interactions with others. Didn't work I fear.

The new Spartacus grew on me, but I never really gelled with him as much as Andy Whitfield. I felt he lacked the same selfish edge and Gravitas. Whenever they layered some Whitfield audio over the episode in reference to past event, I always thought 'Fuck Yeah, That's Spartacus.' Nice little tribute to him at the end.

Spot on.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »
Crassus a villain?  One of the most famous and richest men in Roman history and without whom Ceasar would have been nothing and we would never have had the 'Rome' series.  Cause and effect; Crassus is a hero  ;)

I was using the term villain very very loosely but you have won me over. All hail Crassus!

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2013, 09:46:49 am »
Just finished this up last night, thought they did a good job wrapping it all up, probably wouldn't mind if they carried on with stories about Caesar or Krassus, it's not GoT, but it is definitely silly, enjoyable fun.

Going to miss the dialogue, it went from absolutely brilliant to ridiculous in the space of 30 seconds at times. ;D

Spoiler
I think one of my favorite quotes was from that S3 flashback of Batiatus Sr. speaking to the slaver to try and buy Oenomaus, when he lowballs his offer the slaver replies with "You appear as honorable man yet would attempt to slip cock in ass!" and Batiatus replies "If I held such desire you would be split in two." I mean where on earth are you going to get dialogue as brilliant as that.
[close]

Gratitude, Spartacus.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
Just finished this up last night, thought they did a good job wrapping it all up, probably wouldn't mind if they carried on with stories about Caesar or Krassus, it's not GoT, but it is definitely silly, enjoyable fun.

Going to miss the dialogue, it went from absolutely brilliant to ridiculous in the space of 30 seconds at times. ;D

Spoiler
I think one of my favorite quotes was from that S3 flashback of Batiatus Sr. speaking to the slaver to try and buy Oenomaus, when he lowballs his offer the slaver replies with "You appear as honorable man yet would attempt to slip cock in ass!" and Batiatus replies "If I held such desire you would be split in two." I mean where on earth are you going to get dialogue as brilliant as that.
[close]

Gratitude, Spartacus.

Haha Yeah some of my favourite quotes.

Spoiler
I think it was Gannicus who said to Ilithyia "raise voice again and see tongue ripped from fucking mouth"

And there was a scene where a Roman was having sex with a female slave and said "I wish to finish, place cock in ass"  Pissed myself laughing when I heard that.
[close]

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2022, 11:54:39 pm »
Found this on YouTube where they document Andys fight against cancer. Bit surreal knowing he didn't make it but watching him, his lovely wife and family bravely fight to the bitter end is just magical and a tear jerker in one. https://youtu.be/J-TVstdcfzE
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2022, 01:45:27 pm »
the first season of spartacus was brilliant, loved that show

as a huge fan of the kirk douglas film (fucking beautifully epic and what a fucking cast) i was very skeptical but for what we got from Andy Whitfield as spartacus was glorious and im very grateful for that awesome season

'kill them all' is burned in my brain as a favourite tv moment
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 01:47:37 pm by Armand9 »

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2023, 05:50:53 pm »
Starz is bringing one of its foundational original series — along with one of its characters — back to life.

The premium cabler has given a series order to Spartacus: House of Ashur, a continuation of the franchise that last aired a new episode in 2013. The pickup comes nine months after Starz announced it was developing a revival/sequel — and a day after actors union SAG-AFTRA announced a tentative agreement with studios and streamers, ending a four-month strike.

Series creator Steven S. DeKnight will serve as showrunner, and Nick Tarabay will reprise his role of Ashur from the former series.

The description for House of Ashur reads as follows: “The series poses the question: What if Ashur hadn’t died on Mount Vesuvius at the end of Spartacus: Vengeance? And what if he had been gifted the gladiator school once owned by Batiatus in return for aiding the Romans in killing Spartacus and putting an end to the slave rebellion?”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/new-spartacus-series-starz-1235643463/