Author Topic: Best Team Performance in British Football History  (Read 9114 times)

Offline trevor1973

• Main Stander
  • "and Kenny Dalglish the creator supreme"
Re: Best Team Performance in British Football History
« Reply #40 on: June 5, 2015, 09:10:08 am »

Offline trevor1973

• Main Stander
  • "and Kenny Dalglish the creator supreme"
Best Team Performance in British Football History
« Reply #41 on: June 5, 2015, 09:12:57 am »
My favourite LFC team - fan since 1981 - last years side were almost as exciting but in the end defensively far too frail. My second LFC side would rank as the Joe Fagan treble winning side and then Kenny's double winners.

Recent era would be Rafa's era followed by the treble winning Houllier team. As exciting and magical as last year was in the end we won nothing - I'm still shattered after that season - I'm kinda glad we are one season past that now - was always gonna be an anticlimax. I don't think Gerrard mentally recovered and losing Suarez and Sturridge ripped the heartbeat out of that side.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2015, 09:16:41 am by trevor1973 »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: June 5, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
I'm still shattered after that season - I'm kinda glad we are one season past that now - was always gonna be an anticlimax. I don't think Gerrard mentally recovered and losing Suarez and Sturridge ripped the heartbeat out of that side.

I know what you mean. I was idly flicking through Sky the other night and caught one of their 'Football Gold' clips and it was the City 3-2 game. Normally love watching the old classics but that just felt so bittersweet it was unreal.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: June 5, 2015, 03:23:58 pm »
I was at both the Spurs and Forest matches and marvelled at the football we played in both.

In my opinion though, the Spurs match shaded it, certainly as the greatest LFC performance I've ever seen. True, at the time Spurs were poor (when are they not?) but they came into the game on the crest of the usual London media bullshit about the two world cup winners they'd signed and a young lad they had called Glen Hoddle and as per usual it all came to nought. Well seven nought in fact.

Plus, that Liverpool team of the late 70s - the Souness, McDermott, Case & Kennedy midfield - was the best I've ever seen. It had absolutely everything.

Another match which goes under the radar is a Charity Shield match at Wembley when we took Arsenal apart 3-1. Their goal was only a consolation that we gifted them, because after all it was for Charity! But before then we took the piss out of them with exhibition football. Someone will have to remind me of the year.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44 on: June 5, 2015, 03:50:15 pm »
I was at both the Spurs and Forest matches and marvelled at the football we played in both.

In my opinion though, the Spurs match shaded it, certainly as the greatest LFC performance I've ever seen. True, at the time Spurs were poor (when are they not?) but they came into the game on the crest of the usual London media bullshit about the two world cup winners they'd signed and a young lad they had called Glen Hoddle and as per usual it all came to nought. Well seven nought in fact.

Plus, that Liverpool team of the late 70s - the Souness, McDermott, Case & Kennedy midfield - was the best I've ever seen. It had absolutely everything.

Another match which goes under the radar is a Charity Shield match at Wembley when we took Arsenal apart 3-1. Their goal was only a consolation that we gifted them, because after all it was for Charity! But before then we took the piss out of them with exhibition football. Someone will have to remind me of the year.
79. Jocky bringing the ball out of our half and laying on Kenny who turned inside out an Arsenal defender and made him sit down before curling the ball past Jennings...Terry Mac's third was the best though..was a good game that..there were as you know loads of good games you could pick out from those days.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #45 on: June 5, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »
yup, Forest 5-0 , that's this thread sorted.

Agreed if it was good enough for Nat.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: June 5, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »
Agreed if it was good enough for Nat.

Nat Finney? Or Tom Lofthouse!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #47 on: June 5, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »
Nat Finney? Or Tom Lofthouse!

i am getting too old was it Tom then i was chatting to a guy about Nat this morning Doh!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #48 on: June 5, 2015, 05:39:44 pm »

These are the three I would cite as our best, against quality opposition too....the London Media decamped to Anfield for the Spurs game to watch 'their' title challengers for that season.

I'll throw one in , cant remember season, but John Walk was in team I think...we played Watford away ( a tough game) , pitch was muddy as fuck and we played in all white with red socks I think.....won 5 or 6 nil....and walked off with kit still pristine white!