Author Topic: West Ham 3 - Liverpool 1 (Full Time)  (Read 92732 times)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Re: West Ham 3 - Liverpool 1 (Full Time)
« Reply #1480 on: September 21, 2014, 05:39:29 pm »
A sad state of affairs. We raid Southampton and they are better than us :( :no
Let's have a look at that 'state' after 38 games is over.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline rlpolobear9

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1481 on: September 21, 2014, 06:03:42 pm »
City last season and Scum so many times before show you that the league is a marathon not a sprint, we just need to string together some wins and calm down with the over-reactions to the results early on. It can't be the club are the best in the world if they win and shit if they loose.
Liverpool FC 5 time European champs!!!!! YNWA

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1482 on: September 21, 2014, 06:07:01 pm »
One thing good about losing is you get to see some names in here you hardly ever see, its a bit like a fools reunion.

Is the season over are all the other teams out of sight  then?
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline ComboDe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1483 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »

Apart from Arsenal.

Phew.  :no

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1484 on: September 21, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »
Agree with that actually. 3 of the back 4 are new add to that a dodgy keeper behind them and its hardly surprising. However if we had someone like mqscherano who'd track runners we'd be much better

Keepers feed off of confidence (see Stoke or Southampton games).

Our back line, midfield and attacking continuity is still all over the map as we get roles defined, injuries healed and rotations solidified.
If our keeper is still struggling, then you can call him dodgy, but until then put a cork in it.   

Confidence is contagious and the game slows down.  Right now, there is uncertainty and the speed of play feels like lightning as too many players are trying to do their jobs and the guys next to him.   
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline long.

• Anny Roader
  • He shoots... he SCORES!
« Reply #1485 on: September 21, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »
with Man U, tottenham and Everton all losing, it softens the blow some what. chelsea and city also drawing helped too

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1486 on: September 21, 2014, 06:25:13 pm »

Apart from Arsenal.

As long as both tottenham and man united stay behind us then it's all good. All I want is top 4 with a good run in the CL.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1487 on: September 21, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »
We're looking at possibly a worst finish in 20years or so, I will be shocked if we can finish in a europa spot.

wow

please change your username
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1488 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:01 pm »
This weekend’s results highlight exactly why our slow start has been so disappointing.

City are nowhere near the team they were last season – an ageing squad that are gradually losing their consistency.

Chelsea look solid, although they are also nowhere near as good as the media would have everyone believe, and City have been their only real test so far. They are a Diego Costa injury away from not having anyone to score the goals needed.

Arsenal are......well, Arsenal, and I don’t think they’ll make a serious title challenge for the foreseeable few decades.

Spurs haven’t really kicked on since they blew all the Bale money, and Man Utd bring new meaning to the phrase ‘work in progress’ with another hilarious comedy show today.

We finished 2nd last year, which is what teams apparently need to do learn how to win the title: go close, feel the attention and pressure, remember the heartache, and then use that experience to have another go the following season and hopefully go one better.

It is sheer luck that we are still only a few points off our main rivals, but it is hugely disappointing for us to limp to such poor results against Villa and West Ham, when we should have been laying down a marker to the rest of the league.

The biggest problem for me is not tactical, fitness, or even the personnel we have. The problem is that there is simply no desire, passion, confidence, determination or resilience in any aspect of our game, and that is a huge worry.

There is still plenty of time for the new players to gel, but they had better start doing it pretty quickly, because City, Arsenal, Spurs, and others will no doubt hit some form soon, and we need to make sure we don’t lose any more ground.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline ComboDe

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1489 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »
As long as both tottenham and man united stay behind us then it's all good. All I want is top 4 with a good run in the CL.

yes, Honestly I would love to win the league but Top 4 should be Priority big time this season, BT Sport money is double what it is right now for champions league so that and a Trophy.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1490 on: September 21, 2014, 08:30:04 pm »
If we just won the last two games , we would be know far away from Utd .
Gotta love their reactions yesterday they were copying all our posts
And then laughing at them at their RAWK meltdown thread , now look at them
Humiliated by Leicester .

How would we do against Leicester at the moment do you think?

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #1491 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »
That was crap, confident we'll go on a run now giving the upcoming fixtures and Sturridge's return. Was some bad decisions by the manager though I thought, we didnt concede that many chances or goals to Spurs, Ludo and Villa so he brings someone back in to the team who we leak loads of goals with and causes panic throughout the team! Lucas and Gerrard never work so he starts Lucas and knackered Gerrard, even worse. We lost Sturridge's goal so on the bench is a striker who's scored a good amount in the league in recent year while Borini who pretty much cant score starts! But you know he'll sort it out and we'll be fine.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1492 on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »
I don’t think they’ll make a serious title challenge for the foreseeable few decades.

You've just made a 20-30 year prediction!? SMFH.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #1493 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:43 pm »
Well now the dust is beginning to settle .

From my perspective obviously it was a fantastic result & performance .

I was quietly confident before the game & predicted we'd win . I felt a few things were in our favour . Namely no Sturridge for you plus your champions league game midweek which wasn't a comfortable win .
But mostly our midfield once I saw the line ups with Song, Noble & Kouyate I felt we had a lot of pace, strength & tenacity with those three & unfortunately for you I just don't think Lucas & Gerrard are quite the players they were . Plus when I saw your back four they haven't played much together & are still gelling so to speak .

It's actually benefited us having Carroll & Nolan injured its forced Sam to play , Sakho, Valencia & Zarete which has given us so much more pace & work ethic up front with different options rather than lumping it up to Carroll & maybe Nolan getting on the end of something .

Lets not get ahead of ourselves but if we can keep this kind of form up Carroll & Nolan may struggle to get back into the team .

As for the game we started superbly & deserved our half time lead with Sterlings goal keeping you in the game . I expected us to be backs against the wall for much of the second half as were not going to dominate an expected top 4 team for 90 mins as games ebb & flow .

Although I never felt really under the cosh & you were creating chance after chance .

Hopefully it will give us great confidence going to Man Utd next week & its just a blip for yourselves .

I don't want to hark on about the past but I feel you'll come good , you've quite a few new players & I sense the players are missing the Suarez effect in the sense that his goals & work rate but the fact whatever is happening in the context of the game he could change it with a spark a piece of magic within seconds out of nothing .

Overall it's very rare we beat you & I feel this is going to be a strange season as apart from Chelsea & Man City which one of them I think will win the league this is going to be a very open &  close league with lots of upsets , so  no need to panic & reading some posts some have pressed that button already .

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:33:33 pm by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: September 21, 2014, 09:39:31 pm »
I genuinely have just read an old colleague's blog moaning about BR and blaming his transfer failings about being the reason for our run of bad form. He's actually called for him to be sacked. Shocking.
YNWA.

Offline Aminegriffy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1495 on: September 21, 2014, 09:52:57 pm »
The problem isn't our defence even if  we bring Hummels and Ramos we will still concede silly goals
The real problem is we don't have a DMF , we never had a top DMF since mascherano left . Gerrard isn't a DMF Lucas is Lucas he can't be trusted , so how do we solve this ? Well it's easy we need a DMF someone who just know if the ball pass I won't let the player pass and vice versa .
Well the Africans have the best DMF's in the world I can't believe how missed song , teams are always gonna break us from the middle it's so easy to see and sadly The DMF position is the most sensible position on football we cannot risk and play Gerrard there , otherwise we will still have the same problems . The £20m spent on Loveren could have been spent on a DMF or even you could just have got song who was available for nothing but no we decided it's ok even our midfield is nowhere near too chelsea and City and arsenal even Everton got Barry who's is a good DMF .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1496 on: September 21, 2014, 10:30:19 pm »
This time last year I said the problem is in midfield. I'm saying the same thing now and we have a completely different back four. Common denominator? Gerrard and Lucas.
Gareth Roberts said it last year on TAW also mate, and I nodded at his every word. I've all ready posted that we've played worse twice this season and there are 'if's'that could have affected the final result. If Borini squares the ball instead of shooting Moreno would have level it.

I'm not concerned at the moment, but I know improvement is needed - as Brendan has already said.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1497 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »
Gareth Roberts said it last year on TAW also mate, and I nodded at his every word. I've all ready posted that we've played worse twice this season and there are 'if's'that could have affected the final result. If Borini squares the ball instead of shooting Moreno would have level it.

I'm not concerned at the moment, but I know improvement is needed - as Brendan has already said.

Oh man I remember that perfectly... Moreno was so free in the box.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: September 21, 2014, 11:45:06 pm »
Well now the dust is beginning to settle .

From my perspective obviously it was a fantastic result & performance .

I was quietly confident before the game & predicted we'd win . I felt a few things were in our favour . Namely no Sturridge for you plus your champions league game midweek which wasn't a comfortable win .
But mostly our midfield once I saw the line ups with Song, Noble & Kouyate I felt we had a lot of pace, strength & tenacity with those three & unfortunately for you I just don't think Lucas & Gerrard are quite the players they were . Plus when I saw your back four they haven't played much together & are still gelling so to speak .

It's actually benefited us having Carroll & Nolan injured its forced Sam to play , Sakho, Valencia & Zarete which has given us so much more pace & work ethic up front with different options rather than lumping it up to Carroll & maybe Nolan getting on the end of something .

Lets not get ahead of ourselves but if we can keep this kind of form up Carroll & Nolan may struggle to get back into the team .

As for the game we started superbly & deserved our half time lead with Sterlings goal keeping you in the game . I expected us to be backs against the wall for much of the second half as were not going to dominate an expected top 4 team for 90 mins as games ebb & flow .

Although I never felt really under the cosh & you were creating chance after chance .

Hopefully it will give us great confidence going to Man Utd next week & its just a blip for yourselves .

I don't want to hark on about the past but I feel you'll come good , you've quite a few new players & I sense the players are missing the Suarez effect in the sense that his goals & work rate but the fact whatever is happening in the context of the game he could change it with a spark a piece of magic within seconds out of nothing .

Overall it's very rare we beat you & I feel this is going to be a strange season as apart from Chelsea & Man City which one of them I think will win the league this is going to be a very open &  close league with lots of upsets , so  no need to panic & reading some posts some have pressed that button already .

As usual more sense than most. Good luck to you guys now. WH played to their strengths and at no time ceded control of the game in my opinion. They may have not had the ball for a lot of the second half but kept L'pool playing in front of them.

It was not a surprise to me either that WH won. We are mentally brittle and I always felt the first goal (or 2 as it turned out) would be vital. Downing up against Stevie was clever, the header over Manquilo for the first goal was also well thought out. Overall Sam out thought Brendan and while Brendan sorted out some stuff we were dopey with the ball even in the second half where we had lots of possession but little penetration. The team simply did not respond to the challenges that WH posed.

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1499 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:26 am »

Apart from Arsenal.

;D

Just finished the last of the weekend's big games and came here to post exactly this. Onward and upward...

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1500 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:33 am »
You've just made a 20-30 year prediction!? SMFH.

I was clearly exaggerating, but I genuinely think it's in their DNA and has been for almost 10 years - early promise, then fall to pieces around March. It's a nailed-on annual event for Arsenal. I don't remotely see them as a title threat, and still wouldn't even if they'd made a 100% start.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: September 22, 2014, 07:28:07 am »
Quite logical for me, we had a defence and goalie that was not good enough last year but a wonderful strike force.
We still have a defence and goalie who are still not good enough and our wonderful strike force is now missing, there is only one outcome.
We have six points and could be unbeaten with the same points.

Rodgers is having a stinker of a season, he is playing players who he told openly in the press that they had no future at the club and he is now picking them over new signings.

Gerrard has now become bigger than the club and I even noticed Rodgers asking him was he ok to stay on or come off.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #1502 on: September 22, 2014, 08:04:31 am »
I would love to see detailed stats for possession that show how long do we keep the ball on average before we lose it.

I know our overall possession stats are good but I think we tend to lose the ball too often, keeping our spells of possession pretty short. What it means is that our defence comes under a lot more pressure because we cannot retain the ball for long periods.

Whatever it is, I hold the opinion that we need to work backwords from the midfield to see what we are doing wrong.

There is no doubt Brendan knows the issues and he is trying to resolve it.
Phuk yoo

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: September 22, 2014, 01:32:53 pm »
Another awful performance, and an opening ten minutes that I am struggling to believe or understand.

We got better second half but it would be hard to have become worse. The injuries are hurting us, but now, especially, we should have enough depth to cope.

There are lots of talking points around our bad start, but for me, I think we aren't working as hard as we did last season. West Ham out fought and out ran us, which very few teams did last year. Even against Ludogrets, they won every second ball.

The tempo needs to go up, along with the work rate, and that, along with some players coming back (Sturridge and Allen at least) should see us improve.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1504 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:32 pm »
We're looking at possibly a worst finish in 20years or so, I will be shocked if we can finish in a europa spot.

Question: Are you a mole?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #1505 on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:22 pm »
...the league is a marathon not a sprint...

I think it was one of the Anfield Wrap lads that correctly nuanced this by describing the league as neither a sprint nor a marathon: its more akin to a 10,000 metres in that it might not be a sprint but if you fall behind early there may not be time to recover as is the case with a marathon. You are right, we need those wins soon...

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #1506 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:22 pm »
Horrid day compounded by the traffic on the way back extending the journey home x3.

Not much to add on the game that hasn't already been covered. Lost it in the first ten minutes, the players' body language was awful in that period, don't think they were particularly motivated to be honest.

I'm not sure we'll ever become solid defensively under BR. Our shape never looks secure and our defenders aren't very spatially aware. When you play as openly as we do you need your centre backs to be capable of dealing with difficult situations such as three on threes, but ours don't know whether to press or stand off and often get caught doing a combination of the two. Skrtel especially is someone who will do very well in a well-drilled unit as he does the basics well, but when lefts to his own devices who struggles massively. Of the little I've seen of him Ilori looks like he could potentially do well in our system, but we won't find out for a while.

Of course when you put as much dependence on your attacking play as we do you're going to suffer when even your front three or four don't turn up. There was no real chemistry going forward first half. Lallana improved us when he replaced Lucas but the damage was done by then.

Mignolet 5 - shocking for the second goal and didn't even try to stop their third
Manquillo 5 - struggled to deal with Valencia early on but his injury looked forced due to injury
Skrtel 4 - woeful
Lovren 5 - poor
Moreno 7 - by far the best of our defenders on the day, without being as good as he was vs Tottenham and Ludogerets
Gerrard 4 - his worst performance in a long time, was a passenger in the second half
Henderson 5 - didn't affect the game positively whatsoever
Lucas 5 - off the pace again
Sterling 7 - did well, especially after going wingback because he was nullified in the central areas
Balotelli 6 - devoid of service, did alright when he had the ball and worked fairly hard
Borini 5 - good effort, lacked quality

Sakho 4 - I think he's our best CB but he struggled on Saturday
Lallana 7 - gave us more impetus going forward and actually showed for the ball
Lambert - n/a

I'm not overly concerned yet, it was a poor performance and result but these things happen even more frequently at this stage of the season (see yesterday's results). I think Rodgers needs to get to grips with having a big squad + European football sooner rather than later, chopping and changing can wait until we're deeper in to the season. I'd like for him to settle on a strongest team once Sturridge and the others are back. Don't think it's a surprise that our best performance and result of the season, at Tottenham, came when we had what was imo our best eleven in the diamond (in terms of balance; you could argue that Lallana or Coutinho replaces Allen depending on opposition).

Got a good run of games coming up, need to be getting a minimum of 12 points from the next five.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1507 on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:59 pm »
Moreno 7 - by far the best of our defenders on the day, without being as good as he was vs Tottenham and Ludogerets
He was caught out of position again for the second goal and hardly made any effort to block the shot/cross.

He was great against Tottenham but he's making errors with the defensive side of his game.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #1508 on: September 22, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »
The worry for me seems to be the lack of a cohesive partnership in the centre of our defence.

Against Spurs a few weeks ago, they had their best moments when they went direct against us, and it didn't seem as if Sakho and Lovren were on the same page.
One incident in that game had them both going for the same ball, and missing it.  Only a good save by Mignolet prevented Chadli from equalising for Spurs.

Against West Ham on Saturday, it seemed to be the same problem.  There appears to be no communication.  Sakho and Lovren going for the same ball.  And Lovren takes a crack to the head.

It is not a defensive partnership (yet!) and they just don't seem to know each-others game.  Maybe it is something that will come in time, but at the moment it simply isn't working.

These two were bought (for a combined £37m) to form the bedrock of our defence, and Skrtel, despite his goals last season, was the man who would be dropped to accommodate Lovren, and our defensive problems would be solved.   It hasn't happened and at the moment it doesn't look like a partnership at all.  Can it be coached?  Will playing together more establish a partnership between them? I don't know, but at the moment, we have two players playing in the heart of our defence who look like complete strangers to each other.

We badly miss the movement of Sturridge, which allows the midfield runners of Henderson and Allen to get in to the box and cause the opposition problems.   Again, if you assess the Spurs game, you'll see the first two goals came from when Sturridge drifted to the right and fed Henderson to square for Sterling, and when he drifted to the left and fed Allen who made a burst forward.
This isn't happening at the moment, and that's because without Sturridge, we are unable to stretch teams and allow the midfield runners to get in to the gaps created between the centre-back and full-back.   This isn't a criticism of Balotelli.  They are different types of player, and Balotelli's movement did improve on Saturday, but his game does not mean he'll find himself out on the flank and playing a ball in to Henderson or Allen who have seen the space he has created.

The Gerrard situation is a worry.  Regardless of whether you think he has the legs for 3x 90 minute games in 7 days, sadly, I think is game awareness is not at the level it needs to be if he is going to play the "holding" role.   That is the biggest worry.  He just seems to switch off.  Maybe it is related to his fitness and he can't get back in the positions he needs to be in. Downing had the measure of him, just like Agbonlahor did the week before, and he wasn't able to influence the game whatsoever.  Rodgers will have to decide how much longer he can persist with Gerrard at the base of the "diamond" as at the moment our 2 (already shaky) centre-backs are being offered little protection in front of them, and he isn't influencing the game ahead of him either.

The Borini situation is strange really.  Yes, many had been crying out for Balotelli to have someone along side him, and he did OK when we came off the bench on Tuesday.  But I must admit, I thought it was a strange decision to start him.  Whilst it is clear that Sterling is best just off the front at the tip of the "diamond", I wondered (in hindsight) if we would have been better starting Sterling alongside Balotelli and maybe played Coutinho just off the pair of them - Play Sterling in the Sturridge role and allow him to peel off to the right or left to create space for Henderson (and Lucas?!!) to move in to.   As I say, it was hindsight, but I did find starting Borini a strange decision, and sadly, for all his willing, and effort, the quality doesn't appear to be there.   I was surprised we didn't bring Markovic on with Jenkinson and Reid on a booking towards the end of the game, but went with Lambert, which is a like-for-like change.  We didn't improve after that substation, and West Ham seemed comfortable.   West Ham had 5 at the back so I guess Rodgers thought we wouldn't be able to get round them with Markovic and thought Lambert would allow us to be more direct. 

Sterling was, by far our best player.   If we were going to snatch an equaliser, it was going to come either from Sterling, or created by him.  It took us a long time to get him in to the game, but he is absolutely electric when he gets on the ball.

All-in-all, it was a hugely disappointing performance by us on Saturday.  I can't remember us having a sustained period of pressure in the first half, and even after we scored to make it 2-1, we didn't trouble them enough or start to get them edgy and worried.
This seems to be systematic with how our season has started.  Because of our defensive frailties, we have fallen behind early in our last two games (which we didn't do often last season) and we seem to be struggling to recover after we have gone behind. 

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #1509 on: September 22, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »
Quite logical for me, we had a defence and goalie that was not good enough last year but a wonderful strike force.
We still have a defence and goalie who are still not good enough and our wonderful strike force is now missing, there is only one outcome.
We have six points and could be unbeaten with the same points.

Rodgers is having a stinker of a season, he is playing players who he told openly in the press that they had no future at the club and he is now picking them over new signings.

Gerrard has now become bigger than the club and I even noticed Rodgers asking him was he ok to stay on or come off.

Who are these players he told had no future at the club?
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't