Author Topic: Have you been inspired by The Olympics?  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Ben_AFC

• Legacy Fan
  • It's magic you know, Two FA Cups in a row
Re: Have you been inspired by The Olympics?
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:23 am »
Inspired? No more depressed because I'm old and unfit.

Only one of those things is who you can be next month.
w w w w d d w w w d w w w d d w d w w d w w w w w w w w w d w d w d d d w w. Arsena.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 02:57:14 am »
Only one of those things is who you can be next month.
depressed?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:33 am »
Haven't been, as yet, inspired to take up another sport but I got my first ever century in a cricket league game last Saturday and I honestly reckon the spirit shown by some of the British athletes was in my mind.

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »
hit a brick wall with my masters thesis just before olympics started, but have to say that watching the determination shown by the British athletes to cross the line really gave me a big incentive to stop being such a wuss, daft I know but their no quit attitude really struck a chord with me and has helpled no end. getting this degree is my gold medal.
no coward soul is mine

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 01:02:39 pm »
Really tempted to give kayaking a go when i go to Uni in September.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »

Yes I have. I'm a reasonable swimmer but it's always to much of a chew on to get out and get to the pool when the adult (lanes only) session is on. But now I'm determined to get off my arse and do it. And I'm going to dust off my bike and cycle there. Sort of Phelps/Wiggins thing going on.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 01:21:21 pm »
Yes I have. I'm a reasonable swimmer but it's always to much of a chew on to get out and get to the pool when the adult (lanes only) session is on. But now I'm determined to get off my arse and do it. And I'm going to dust off my bike and cycle there. Sort of Phelps/Wiggins thing going on.
You could emulate the Brownlees by running back home?

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
Inspired to get fit again.  Used to play a lot of badminton and squash and stopped about 3 years back due to a lack of time.  I've realised now that it's not so much time and more general laziness.  Time to get back out there to get fit, starting with some cycling.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 01:32:07 pm »
This morning, i have booked a Dentist and opticians appointment, bought new shoes, got a hair cut, been on two jogs and cooked myself a bloody good lunch.

I usually would be still in bed (i'm on leave) reading all your moaning through out the morning. Olympic spirit made me do all that i'm sure of it, or it might have been George Micheal's second song

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:18 pm »
You could emulate the Brownlees by running back home?

Steady on! Mind you I'm past 50 now and my role model for getting fit and in shape is Roger Daltrey. My generation indeed.

Offline Sean_93

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »
Do it! Kayaking is awesome. Where are you at Uni?
Stirling. I think they've got a club.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
Yes, I have. Running is probably out, I don't think my knees will put up with it, but cycling and swimming are things I'll be returning to.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 03:14:03 pm »
Inspire a Generation?

Bastards.  :P
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
Inspire a Generation?
I feel your pain. Did exactly the same myself last week and ended up in A&E getting stitched back together alongside a load of other people who had obviously had the same idea as we did and failed just as spectacularly. Whoever said you never forget how to ride a bike was wrong.

I think I'll just stick to my football. Or does it not count if you were already doing it before the Olympics started?

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
Inspire a Generation?

:lmao
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »
I feel your pain. Did exactly the same myself last week and ended up in A&E getting stitched back together alongside a load of other people who had obviously had the same idea as we did and failed just as spectacularly. Whoever said you never forget how to ride a bike was wrong.

Luckily all i got from that was a buised knee and hip and the realisation it's not as easy as it looks. :D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »
Inspire a Generation?

Haha  ;D
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 07:49:54 pm »
Inspire a Generation?

Have they not taught you that it's not actually you that flies, it's the planes and so forth? :D

As for being inspired? I'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2012, 01:29:20 am »
So...? Have you?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »
I wish I had rewindable telly. Kevin McCloud just said something brilliant but I didn't catch it verbatim, due to being in the middle of writing something much less brilliant into an essay.

It went along the lines of, "People get hung up on going off and having enormous adventures. I think it's possible to have equally exciting little adventures, right outside your comfort zone, every weekend." Anyone watching C4 who can save me a trawl through the repeat?

I think that's what I'm aiming for. Little changes, pushing myself, not making grandiose claims and trying to take on too much all at once. A mini adventure every weekend - something new, outside my comfort zone (not involving turning a safe into a stove though, probably).

/Rambling.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
Inspire a Generation?

That's not the place for a nap Rob. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 08:42:43 pm »
I wish I had rewindable telly. Kevin McCloud just said something brilliant but I didn't catch it verbatim, due to being in the middle of writing something much less brilliant into an essay.

It went along the lines of, "People get hung up on going off and having enormous adventures. I think it's possible to have equally exciting little adventures, right outside your comfort zone, every weekend." Anyone watching C4 who can save me a trawl through the repeat?

I think that's what I'm aiming for. Little changes, pushing myself, not making grandiose claims and trying to take on too much all at once. A mini adventure every weekend - something new, outside my comfort zone (not involving turning a safe into a stove though, probably).

/Rambling.
I went wild camping a fortnight ago.Took my tent on a week long bike ride,pitched my tent wherever I felt like and rode 100 mile's a day on average.Try some wild camping,it's fun.Even better when it involve's a bike ride too.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
Been wild camping; you're right it is fun. Need to buy a bike. And probably a bike rack.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
Been wild camping; you're right it is fun. Need to buy a bike. And probably a bike rack.
A rack is a must.You don't want any weight on your back whilst your riding.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2012, 09:11:25 pm »
I meant for the car, rather than having to cycle all the way to Wales from here ;D but yes, you're right.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:13:10 pm by Elli »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2012, 09:14:02 pm »
I meant for the car, rather than having to cycle all the way to the Lakes from here ;D but yes, you're right.
Unless here is on the continent Elli that's lazy. ;)