Author Topic: Round Table Blackburn Rovers 2 - 3 Liverpool  (Read 8374 times)

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round Table Blackburn Rovers 2 - 3 Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 01:32:48 am »
Maxi/Downing is a really frustrating conundrum to have, in my opinion.

On the one hand, Downing is a much better footballer.  More pace, better crosser, and with the ball at their feet they're about the same.  And yet Downing would never have scored the goals Maxi scored last night, especially the first one, because he's never in that position.  It's not that he doesn't get there consistently, it's that he never, ever makes that run.  I'm not sure why he's allergic to getting into the box, but he is, and I think at this point we have to realise he's not going to get it with further coaching or more encouragement.  It's simply not part of his game.

So, though Downing is a better "player," in the sense that we're talking simply about what he does with the ball, he shouldn't get in the team ahead of Maxi, because Maxi scores goals.  And goals are what we as a side are crying out for.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 01:45:17 am »

On the one hand, Downing is a much better footballer.  More pace, better crosser, and with the ball at their feet they're about the same.  And yet Downing would never have scored the goals Maxi scored last night, especially the first one, because he's never in that position.  It's not that he doesn't get there consistently, it's that he never, ever makes that run.  I'm not sure why he's allergic to getting into the box, but he is, and I think at this point we have to realise he's not going to get it with further coaching or more encouragement.  It's simply not part of his game.

So, though Downing is a better "player," in the sense that we're talking simply about what he does with the ball, he shouldn't get in the team ahead of Maxi, because Maxi scores goals.  And goals are what we as a side are crying out for.

There is no way in hell that downing is a better footballer than Maxi rodriguez. Maxi is better at ball retention and better tactically than downing, he also has a better first touch than downing and can the read game better than him. Only thing downing has over maxi is pace but we seldom see it. Maxi scores the goals he does because he comes from a second line of attack that is down to the timing of his runs to get the goals at the back post or the tap in. Lampard has made a career out of timing his runs in the box and picking up space where he would be unmarked and most likely to score goals.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:46:33 am by Rohit »

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 02:02:27 am »
This game was as important for who didn't play as who did. I had a mean little voice in my head telling me Gerrard and Carragher and Suarez would be looking on and shaking their heads so it was particularly lovely to get three points from an unlikely situation.

I really like Shelvey, he has a suave yet sharp quality to his play and unnatural confidence. He was screaming at Maxi at one point to track back, and then thought nothing of letting fly from 35 yards on his weaker foot (all the while ignoring Bellamy in a much better position but anyway). He was also the guy who tried more than anyone to dictate the game, to try to take the heat out of it and buy some breathing space for his mates.

Also, Henderson was done once or twice by the same full back who was doing Flanagan, but he still got up and down the pitch like a mad bastard and exhibited some rather effective wing play too.

I thought our manager's interview afterwards was ill judged. I hope someone tells him. There's a time for that sort of thing and it isn't after a win dealing with fairly innocuous questions.

But Lordy, don't good things happen when Dan Agger is on the pitch?

This post got me very excited for Wembley. Agger and Skrtel make me a happy bunny.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 02:34:52 am »
There is no way in hell that downing is a better footballer than Maxi rodriguez. Maxi is better at ball retention and better tactically than downing, he also has a better first touch than downing and can the read game betetr than him. Only thing downing has over maxi is pace but we seldom see it. Maxi scores the goals he does because he comes from a second line of attack that is down to the timing of his runs to get the goals at the back post or the tap in. Lampard has made a career out of timing his runs in the box and picking up space where he would be unmarked and most likely to score goals.

I guess we all see different things because I see Downing as better at almost everything.  I agree that at the moment I'd rather Maxi because the areas he has over Downing are so important at the moment. He's got intelligence, attacks the box and finishes his chances. All crucial at the moment but I am hoping that won't always be the case.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 02:39:11 am »
For me i would start Maxi over Downing, He offers more of a goal threat and goals is what we have been lacking most the season

Maxi also has that habit of being in the box always

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 02:46:16 am »
I guess we all see different things because I see Downing as better at almost everything.  I agree that at the moment I'd rather Maxi because the areas he has over Downing are so important at the moment. He's got intelligence, attacks the box and finishes his chances. All crucial at the moment but I am hoping that won't always be the case.

Downing is more of a physical specimen than Maxi. In everything else, Maxi is better. I've said that Lucas is a kind of player who gets better individually the more of them there are in the team. Maxi is one of these Lucaslike players I talked about. Downing is not.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 03:44:45 am »
wow, get in, fuck, blimey, oh no, eh? fuck again, ha ha, easy lad, fuck.... whooooo

That's my summary of a bonkers game. More later.
Bet you're still enjoying that one ...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:50 am »
great performance from our 'second string' lets hope the 'first string' smash up the bitters.

nice to win at blackburn this year especially after our absolutely gobshite performance there last season

all our lads did well and worked their arses off.

Hendo was fucking boss
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 09:50:17 am »
Maxi and Bellamy... two players who know football, clever and skilled enough to play the way it should be.

It says a lot that we seemed to be depending on them without playing them. No wait... actually, it says it all.

And it says even more when people think Downing, is supposed to be a better footballer than Maxi. Downing is younger and for that in better physical shape, but that´s about it. In fact, Maxi is head and shoulders above Downing in almost every respect of the game and obviously he needs no "luck" in order to score, just as Bellamy needs no luck in order to cross the ball properly. It´s the skills, simple as that.

It was a joy to watch this game and when watching our "B-Team" midfield and defense showing better movement, passing and overall effort than a lot of our regulars then you know there is something wrong. The moment Enrique got the ball in attack at the end of the game I knew our counter attack would be over in a couple of moments. This wasn´t the case before and if we won´t replace a lot of our regulars who are obviously not suited to our vision of football it won´t get any better.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:07:56 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
For me i would start Maxi over Downing, He offers more of a goal threat and goals is what we have been lacking most the season

Maxi also has that habit of being in the box always

Thing is, though, Downing had a very decent game in the Carling Cup final. Anyway, I thought we grafted our gall bladders off and kept believing. Great result/performance.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 10:28:22 am »
Thought this was the game where the you for the first time saw the young core that we have take steps at growing up. In the middle of a shocking run, with a man sent off losing a 2 goal lead the youngsters really stepped up, took responsibility and came to the fore. There was no hiding or shirking of responsibility - they all pulled together and for each other. Not saying that the line up is the kind of team we should put out week in week out for the big boys but really did see a glimpse of Liverpool's future.

Shelvey was excellent in CM...I have often criticised his work-rate but it was spot on and he was tracking players. Passing was economical and he was a threat with the ball. Henderson was very good in his unfamiliar right back role and did really well at times going forward, beating his man and putting balls into the box. Coates was brilliant - didn't put a foot wrong. Finally thought Carroll was very good also - led the line and worked his tail off. Its amazing how much more effective he looked with players near him and running off him (Shelvey, Bellamy, Maxi). Speaking of the latter two - can't forget their contribution either, it is a shame they are both nearing the end of their careers. Finally how good are Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger? You would never have guessed they had been out for months...inspirational players.

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »

Maxi is a better option than Downing presently, we dont convert enough and maxi can certainly find the net

personally I would have Suarez on the wide left, Carroll up top and bellamy on the wide right against the bitters.

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »
Kick Goaleee!!! Kicky nother goaleeee!! Yay!! Keeper Send off like tail between legs shivering dog. Braddy saved from Jockubu. Yay! Goalee in. Booo! Goalee nother in pelanty! Booo!! Andy flowing locks donked it home. Victory my robots!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.