Author Topic: Bye Bye Anfield you shall be missed  (Read 21477 times)

Offline paul j

• Kopite
  • liverpool f.c is my religion.
Re: Bye Bye Anfield you shall be missed
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 08:18:10 pm »
i haven't been in the main stand for years but it doesn't supprise me,anything to save a penny.love looking at old photos of the ground and not just anfield but old photos in general.
5 stars upon my shirt.
i am scouse not english.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2010, 02:24:29 am »
if i come across anymore, i'll put them up.

i got a feeling the main stand seats are the wood ones. think the first time i had a seat in the main stand was a league cup against portsmouth in october 1980.  just paid at the turnstile and took a seat alongside the press box on the front row.
can i have my old name back please?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »
just noticed in a book about the anfield road stand. reconstruction work underway on the anfield road stand terracing in june 1965...part of Liverpool's massive ground modernisation

it shows the 'new' roof, and in the background the old main stand. i can't find that pic about the official reopening.  apparently there is a plaque commemorating it - which leaves us guessing, how come it took from 1965 to 1971 for it to be recognised as a new stand.  or whenever it was. i thought it was 1973 it was officially reopened.

what i do have in a match programme, liverpool v huddersfield town august 1970 is:

The Changing Scene at Anfield - The new main stand.  Chairman Eric Roberts welcomes you to a new look Liverpool

'After the longest summer break for some years, the great day has arrived and we start a new season at Anfield full of enthusiasm. It is my pleasure to bid you all welcome.  The close season has been no rest cure fror the staff.

In April, work started on re-building the main stand, offices and dressing rooms and the mammoth task will not be completed before August next year.

As you can see, the stand has a new roof and new floodlighting, but a tremendous amount of work remains to be done and this will continue throughout the season.

I am afraid that a certain amount of inconvenience to our supporters is unavoidable but we are doing our best to minimise this and ask for your forbearance and co-operation'.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
argghhhhh i got it wrong, oops.

the picture of the duke of kent i had thought of wasn't of the anfield road stand, it was the main stand.

march 10th 1973 was when the main stand was officially re-opened (even though the work started off season 1970) as  there was a feature in the anfield review against southampton on this day.

there's a photo of a plaque on the cover of the liverpool v norwich programme march 24th 1973

Offline paul j

• Kopite
  • liverpool f.c is my religion.
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2010, 08:56:42 pm »
if i come across anymore, i'll put them up.

i got a feeling the main stand seats are the wood ones. think the first time i had a seat in the main stand was a league cup against portsmouth in october 1980.  just paid at the turnstile and took a seat alongside the press box on the front row.
my 1st ever game was in the main stand,1976 i think we played someone in black and white stripes.my second game was in the main stand again this time against hamburg in the super cup.
5 stars upon my shirt.
i am scouse not english.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2010, 10:18:08 pm »
heard that hamburg game was a bit of alright

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »
talking of black and white stripes, just been looking at the fixture list for 1976-77, liverpool played west brom 3 times in a fortnight. thought i was seeing things

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2010, 06:02:47 pm »

liverpool v nottingham forest 1968

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:23:45 pm by johnsouthwales »