Author Topic: The degradation of the Anfield area. Who is to blame?  (Read 18286 times)

Offline peterstanding

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The degradation of the Anfield area. Who is to blame?
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 08:37:40 am »
if it was were you lived in Huyton, Peter would you say shit happens if your street was boarded up and your house had little or no value?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:41:15 am by peterstanding »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 07:40:46 am »
if it was were you lived in Huyton, Peter would you say shit happens if your street was boarded up and your house had little or no value?

Who would you like me to blame, mate - the local ASDA?

I might blame them or the 80s for the destruction of Huyton Village but I'd be hard-pressed to blame them for the suburbanisation of the city into places like Huyton, Speke and Kirkby.

But then, when my grandparents got bombed out to over a shop in Huyton Village they came from temporary living four families to a house in Newsham Drive. Another part of the family were in similar circumstances in a house in Anfield Road. Mind you, I can't recall hearing how they fired the place and had drug parties in the ruins and they definitely didn't blame anyone for trying to help.

I could also blame the general move to the suburbs and the destruction of 'vibrant' communities in Everton Valley and the like, on the corporation in the name of slum clearances or maybe the Luftwaffe for finishing off what the corporation started.

You see, to my mind it would be better if everyone moved back to the city (and Anfield, Walton and Kirkdale) and 'where I lived in Huyton' had no value.

As anyone would, I'd appreciate any favourable financial conditions or even assistance but the city would be a better place to live and a whole lot more sustainable.

Notwithstanding that ideal, we are where we are and we'll have to get on with it but then again, it would probably be all Hitler's fault.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:14:48 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline peterstanding

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:50 am »
Liverpool as a city would benefit from a east west rail link, that would link Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds and create a hub that would bring in business to the city, and increase the population of the city, that currently stands at 466,000 in 2013 down from 856,000 in 1938, the whole of the city and suburbs would benefit, with international investment as well as local investment.

Offline lego

• my ego
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 01:26:03 pm »
Liverpool as a city would benefit from a east west rail link, that would link Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds

perhaps im missing the point, but are you aware that you can already get a train to leeds without getting off and changing ?

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 01:40:48 pm »
As the other thread is closed, any updates anyone?

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 10:05:14 pm »
perhaps im missing the point, but are you aware that you can already get a train to leeds without getting off and changing ?

A crap link though, takes the thick end of 2 hours - although perhaps this is going slightly off topic...

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:15 am »
It'll be the ASDA then

BTW, the 'Northern Crossrail' between Liverpool and Leeds as an idea has been kicking around for a few years. It can't get the funding like London's Crossrail can get the money.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:04:32 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 01:15:16 am »
So anyone any ideas what decade this redevelopment will start?  On and on, and on, and on and on, and on and on and on and on

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 01:16:28 am »
So anyone any ideas what decade this redevelopment will start?  On and on, and on, and on and on, and on and on and on and on

The next step was always planning going in in April, now unless I've fallen asleep for a few months it's not even April yet.

Offline peterstanding

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 10:13:56 am »
its not a high speed train though which would benefit the city.