Author Topic: Don't like broccoli...?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Don't like broccoli...?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:18 am »
My dad grew loads a couple of years back. Fucking nightmare it was with a 20lb of marrow sat in the kitchen waiting to be "eaten".
Only ever had it cubed and boiled, same as cabbage. Big old broad beans as well, hated them, skins like leather. Remember rinsing veg down the sink to get rid of slugs and bugs, I'm only 41!

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »
Broccoli is absolutely boss.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 06:50:09 pm »
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:16 pm »
Broccoli is absolutely boss.
mashed up in yer spuds with some butter and onions.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »
mashed up in yer spuds with some butter and onions.

And if you make loads you can make Bubble n' Squeak with the leftovers.   :lickin :lickin :lickin :lickin
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »
It seems to have been around since Roman times, which begs the question, why didn't shops sell it in the 1970s? back then, all we seemed to have was runner beans, broad beans, baked beans, cauliflower, carrots, "greens" (whatever they were) and peas.. None of this fancy broccoli or squashes etc. Or maybe it was just that my mum wasn't adventurous with the veg...

In the seventies shops sold Cadbury's Smash, tinned peas and.... that's about it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »
Had a bag of it last night. Bought from Walmart, put a couple of holes in the bag and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes. Was really good.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:24 pm »
Love Broccolis on my pizza.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »
Had a bag of it last night. Bought from Walmart, put a couple of holes in the bag and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes. Was really good.

Try it with cheese or white wine sauce poured over.  Packet stuff is so high quality these days and you can easily make it in the time it takes for the broc to cook.  Yum,   :lickin :lickin :lickin

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »
Try it with cheese or white wine sauce poured over.  Packet stuff is so high quality these days and you can easily make it in the time it takes for the broc to cook.  Yum,   :lickin :lickin :lickin

I do have 1 bag left from yesterday so will definitely be an idea. Yesterday all I did was melt some butter over the dish and add a little bit of salt put in the microwave for a minute more just to heat it. Was delish.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »
I do have 1 bag left from yesterday so will definitely be an idea. Yesterday all I did was melt some butter over the dish and add a little bit of salt put in the microwave for a minute more just to heat it. Was delish.

I bet it was.  That must have drawn out the flavours to perfection.  You are quite right.  Sometimes the simplest ways are the best.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »
I bet it was.  That must have drawn out the flavours to perfection.  You are quite right.  Sometimes the simplest ways are the best.

Yup simplest was the way to go yesterday. I was cooking for my parents, so made a rump roast with rice and broccoli and they liked it so was happy with it. Will do something else with the next bag though.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 09:40:49 pm »
Yup simplest was the way to go yesterday. I was cooking for my parents, so made a rump roast with rice and broccoli and they liked it so was happy with it. Will do something else with the next bag though.

How very fortunate they are to have a son who looks after them so well.  Eager to hear with what you do with the next bag. 

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 11:34:15 pm »
I'm a big lover of anchovies, and so is my 3 year old. Can't tell you how good it is to share a tin of anchovies with someone who's 3. Or the anchovies in that lemony parsley sauce. Heaven.

A big winner is broccoli and anchovy pasta... google it. Like many recipes with anchovies, the fishiness of it (if you don't like fish) disappears into a saltiness of flavour. I could live on fish quite happily, and in the recent heat I've been doing just that... fish, capers, lemon, parsley.

Try it. If you don't like anchovies or fish, this is a good way I think of turning your head around it - or a good way to get those important fish stuff into your kids.

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »
mmmm, reading this thread makes me want to eat some broccoli with grated cheese on top... nom nom!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 05:40:42 pm »
vegetables are good, dont be afraid of them lads :D

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:27 pm »
vegetables are good, dont be afraid of them lads :D
aubergines are rank though
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
aubergines are rank though

So are brussel sprouts.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 06:16:55 pm »
Broccoli stir fried in oyster sauce.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released